Farmed Fish

james24

Somone told me that most of the fish Chiang Mai is farmed locally rather than caught in the polluted waters. I have to say Im well chuffed if this true, however is it true...?

It seems that tub-tim is farmed quite alot but was wondering do they farm salmon and tuna here...? Are the farms in fact a healthier option..?

a lot of the ocean species are semi farmed now also.

In many places like the Mediterranean they will net catch the wild species and then deposit them in netted pens and feed them pellets and smaller fish to fatten them up.

That is probably healthier than 100% factory farmed fish but not as good as the real wild products which are increasingly rare and or expensive these days.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

Thanks everyone for your help. It seems Red Tilapia and Catfish will give me what I need and are a lot less expensive

I hope they don't give you something you don't need.

Can anyone comment on a rumour i heard 2 weeks back (from 'a usually reliable source') that all farmed fish here, especially tabtim, are fed chemicals to speed their growth and thus should be avoided?

I only asked............

Thanks everyone for your help. It seems Red Tilapia and Catfish will give me what I need and are a lot less expensive

I hope they don't give you something you don't need.

Can anyone comment on a rumour i heard 2 weeks back (from 'a usually reliable source') that all farmed fish here, especially tabtim, are fed chemicals to speed their growth and thus should be avoided?

I only asked............

'The usual reliable source', wouldn't be a pig farmer, would he? Fish pellets/food (frequency and amount) seems to the favored way to get a weight gain.

Unfortunately, asian fish farms have a record of using toxic substances to increase production. Usually these contaminants are found when the fish are exported and tested in the west. Fish are often raised in dirty water and overcrowded conditions leading to fungus infections. Fungus infections are often treated or prevented by the use of malachite green, a fabric dye that is also an efective anti fungal. Malachite green is highly toxic and carcenogenic, it stays in the fish tissue. Antibiotics are also used for the same reason. I still eat farm raised fish here but less frequently than I would if I knew there was better consumer protection and testing.

Antibiotics, growth hormones, etc have been introduced into the raising/production of non vegetarian products for the past few decades. Vegetables have been subjected to commercial fungicides/pesticides/fertilizers for a longer pero8id of time. Smoked meats are rumored to contribute to the incidences of cancer in the consumer and eggs have gone thru their hard times. Grain products have had a relatively easy time of it but if people were aware of the various chemicals used for their production, bread, etc may come under further scrutiny.

Its a tough old world but death seems to be the end result for all of us, I eat/drink foods I enjoy, make a nominal effort to physically exercise as some recommend. If we put as much stock in the rumors we hear about partners/mates as we apparently do, in what we consumer, we would be malnourished and lonely in our senior years.

having been a game and sea fisherman since back in the fifties i can almost tell if fish are farmed or not,i think it started with salmon,then trout even brown trout are being farmed,sea bass,prawns,crabs,now when you go into a resturant that advertises sea food what are you getting,some sauce and spices over the top its difficult to tell.i love sea food but most you get here is farmed,i once had what i thought was red snapper it tasted like mud,now i would rather have boil in the bag kippers if i could get them.

I'll have to investigate the feeding n chemicals thing next time I'm by, but if you go along the Ping either up or down, you'll see people with pens of tilapia and tabtim right there ! Sure, they're farmed, but in the Ping. Now, everybody frets n talks about the polluted Ping, but really, where is their documentation of the pollution ? I find it all to be speculation. Not so sure of factories contributing chemicals upstream of CM anyway. Once you get downstream and into Tak after running thru Lamphun n Lampang, that's perhaps another story. I'll add to that, that when you imagine the volume of water running through there, there's not much chance of a dangerous ratios of chemicals, at least not worth my worrying. I think somehow people want/fantasize that their fish are being raised in sterile glacial waters, and clear arctic seas, where that's hardly the reality these days nor the native environs for their food in the first place.

I'll have to investigate the feeding n chemicals thing next time I'm by, but if you go along the Ping either up or down, you'll see people with pens of tilapia and tabtim right there ! Sure, they're farmed, but in the Ping. Now, everybody frets n talks about the polluted Ping, but really, where is their documentation of the pollution ? I find it all to be speculation. Not so sure of factories contributing chemicals upstream of CM anyway. Once you get downstream and into Tak after running thru Lamphun n Lampang, that's perhaps another story. I'll add to that, that when you imagine the volume of water running through there, there's not much chance of a dangerous ratios of chemicals, at least not worth my worrying. I think somehow people want/fantasize that their fish are being raised in sterile glacial waters, and clear arctic seas, where that's hardly the reality these days nor the native environs for their food in the first place.

wouldn't all the agricultural pesticides and fertilizers from the endless farms along the ping drain into the river?

Does anyone know of an organic fish farm, I guess there must be one around

I go often to ban suan pak health food shop, near the presidents hotel. Yesterday I noticed in her freezer she had a pla krapong, 160 baht. That will be raised properly, and not in a farm. Why not pop along there and ask her where she gets her fish from? If i go back before you do, i'll let you know, but if you get there first, come back and let us know!

I seem to recall seeing trout for sale, raised by one of the Hill-Tribe Royal-Projects, up in the hills ?

Correct. The Inthanon Royal Project breeds rainbow trout.

From a documentary I watched about 6 months ago, they have exclusive contracts with the hotel industry and the hotels get all the trout. I have not seen trout for sale anywhere. Has anyone?

They sometimes sell it in their store near the canal road, I've bought the fresh and smoked, both good. I have also seen it at other places, perhaps Rimping, and on various menus around town.

I seem to recall seeing trout for sale, raised by one of the Hill-Tribe Royal-Projects, up in the hills ?

Correct. The Inthanon Royal Project breeds rainbow trout.

From a documentary I watched about 6 months ago, they have exclusive contracts with the hotel industry and the hotels get all the trout. I have not seen trout for sale anywhere. Has anyone?