Khao Phra Vihaan Temple, Sisaket.

hehehoho

Last time I was in the area was 8 months ago, I took a ride down the road to see what was going on and the army checkpoint said to come back at the weekend, as it's only open to tourists on Saturdays and Sundays.

Is this still the case? I'd like to take a ride down there some weekend soon.

Thanks.

(and yes I know it's not in Sisaket, or even Thailand. :D )

Edited by hehehoho

There was a report that it might be open ,again. I am not sure IF I would believe it ,just yet. Sorry ,you had to make the observation that it is NOT in SiSaKet. Next time maybe mention that access is only from Kantharalak ,In SiSaKet.However ,there may be a primitive road in Cambodia, recently built to give access from that side. I would call it a Public Relations gesture, as no one is likely to travel to it from the Cambodian side.It is true ,that other temples are definitely open, now , The ruins of Prasat TaMuen are open, Prasat Phanom Rung was never closed.Peua Thai will enjoy much better political relations with Cambodia than the last Govt. given its association with the yellow shirts ,so i suspect it will not be long before access is total. Good Luck ,Worthwhile checking it out

Edited by afarang

btw, the wiki blurb on it says there's two entrance fees, 200b, and then 400b for the temple proper. Does (or did) a Thai driving license get you in for Thai price?

Funny asking as it's in Cambodia. :rolleyes:

As i said ,the only realistic way of entry is via Thailand. Who sets and collects the charges, I have no idea, as I have never been there.It ,I believe has actually been completely closed for some years. The yellow shirts were apparently the cause of that. It is all purely political .If you do go there DO NOT wear a yellow shirt. The locals detest the yellows,who for a long time enjoyed the support of the democrats. In fact that is true of the border areas in Surin and Buriram ,as well. Red shirts are very welcome

According to Bergen (TV name) whom I was drinking/dining/running with at the weekend and who lives about 20k from there (I live 35k, but I've not been down to check it out like Bergen):

The temple is not open (and has not been for several years now). The National Park on the Thai side is now re-opened (I implied from what Bergen said that this meant all week, but it may be only weekends. So you can see the view from the cliff ('Maew i Daeng') and walk down the rather precarious rock face walkway to see the oldest bas-relief in Thailand. I think you can see the temple from there but you would need binocs to make it a worthwhile view. Good view out over the plains of Northern Cambodia.

Bergen told me he had put a full update on TV in the last couple of weeks so you might like to search for that (or call him if his number is on the web site below.

If you need a place to stay Bergen's homestay is accommodating and not expensive with a nice relaxing pub-like bar, pool table etc. suanloongdaengfarmstay

A German guy runs a bar/pizza restaurant clsoe to Kantaralak bus station (head into the market cul-de-sac on the opposite side of the corner gold shop next to the bus station. Very nice pizzas - if you want a stop off on the way.[/color]

Edited by sbk

Here's my story...........

I went to Khao Phra Viharn National Park Friday 29th of July, and this was the procedure!

Down at the plain before coming to the park entrance, there is a soldiers post, where you have to stop, exit the car, and the soldiers log your drivers licence, car number, how many people, and take a photo of you!

Then it's a 1 km drive to the park entrance, where it's basically the same procedure, but here you leave your id in exchange for a visitors badge.

Then another 8.5 km drive up hill to the visitors center and car park.

Here on the left hand side you can have a stroll along the Pha Mo I Daeng/Pha Mo E Dang Cliff (both varieties spelled at different signs), - and take some photos (though signs says : NO PHOTO) of the cliff and towards the mountain top where the (Cambodian) temple is located.

The border is not open (and hasn't been for 3 years), so the temple itself is not available, - and so far there are no shops, stalls, or restaurants open on the Thai side.

If you haven't been to the park before, there are some stunning views, and you can brag to your friends, grand children, etc., about having been to a war zone in a pause between rockets and grenades. :D

post-24958-0-13197500-1313242114_thumb.j post-24958-0-83854300-1313242260_thumb.j

post-24958-0-90586300-1313242309_thumb.j post-24958-0-71306600-1313242376_thumb.j

post-24958-0-08482000-1313242417_thumb.j post-24958-0-87847800-1313242539_thumb.j

post-24958-0-15663100-1313242622_thumb.j