Isaan, Farmers Idea Exchange

Ok I have taken the bait, the idea, whatever, from the Route 24 Rubber farmers thread.

I will volunteer to host the first Isaan farmers field day, anyone who has the time and inclination to take a look at my operation. Post here or send me a PM with what you would like to see, learn or talk about, anyone with suggestions is always welcome at my place. I will put it all together and post as an idea starter, hopefully a list of interests will emerge and this will move forward. There are a number of members out there that run operations well worth taking a look at, hopefully others will step up to volunteer to host a field day themselves.

If not then this forum is always here for us so I dont see anyone has anytime to lose but a bit of drive time. We could even have a swap meet each time. It only takes a seed to grow a plant afterall and as the Thais say "Up to you!"

I always complain that apathy rules the world, lets see!

Isaan Aussie.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apathy for Therapy I always say. Hey dare ol Aussie guy. I look at our bustling "Organic" farming forum and see that everybody is just too busy to get online or has figured it all out and has no more questions. This Thai Visa is by far the greatest way to exchange ideas. I think face to face would allow much more informed discussions of many things as we wouldn't be restricted by waht our fingers were saying on a keyboard. For a get together you know I'll be around if I'm a round otherwise i'll be an oblong. I'll be long gone eating a longan. FFFF PS Hopefully we can start to try to trade some of those seeds you are talking about.

OK, there is interest, shake the tree, rock the Ford interest. Darn it drive the tractor over edge interest. Get bitten by wasps, do it all in a day OK here we go stuff.

So we have a date parameter, in a couple of months.

OK 24 farmers, date set for October, OK? Got time? Got a question or an answer?

IA

OCT is good as not yet rice harvest time and sometimes not too much rain. Also have a 7 disc plow for sale and maybe a three also. Not bad yesterday for the Aussies with golf as your compatriots Adam Scott and Jason Day have plenty of spare change to invest in rice futures now. Forever Fords & Futures

Isaan Aussie. Thanks for your thread as I was wondering what to say after your comment SO was delighted to find that you had got in first!! Very much count me in. Thanks very much and will return the compliment later.

Anthony.

I would love to meet up with you guys but I wont be back in Thailand until Nov-Dec time-frame.

Based on IA's general direction of " I am about 40 kms south of Sisaket Muang, off the 220" from the other thread I figure his place is quite close to the wife's family village though they are about 30 south of Muang Si Saket off the 221.

When I get back to Thailand, I won't be moving to Issan full time but I will likely be back and forth regularly and I find I get bored pretty quickly when I do so if its ok, I would love to pop by for a visit and see your farms.

I'd like to see anyones and everyones operation, and especially talk and meet face to face.

We used to have an annual event in Alberta through our 4H farm club where we would do farm tours of the members. It was a definate high point of the year to see everything from a huge factory farm to shacks with pigs in them out on the north 40. Something to be learned from each and every one.

Good for you IA for taking the first step.

Right it seems we are up and running. So first things first, I have a double door display fridge and Leo is 50 baht a bottle. Not the only option but definitely the closest, so that takes care of JC and me. For those who figure sleep is important, there are a few resorts within 10mins and one with a great restaurant about 15mins away. Around 3 to 400 for unit with AC.

There is a plot of rubber and cassava just behind the pig sty to look at, show you how to make biochar and using the compost tea brewer. Compost systems, worms and pigs, should be a litter to two of piglets arriving about then to play with.

Grab a bag or two or compost, a few kg of worm castings or even a pig or two. I can have fresh bacon available if anyone wants it. If anyone wants to start a worm farm just to get rid of the table scraps, do it on the day. Grab youself a reasonably solid plastic chest or draws from Macro and I'll supply the start up package. Compost Teabags and kits even a brewer. What else? Well, whatever, if you have something in particular in mind just drop me a message.

For anyone handy with hydraulics your welcome to have a go at fixing my tractor or at least helping find the fault. I have a five disc plough which is a little bit heavy for my 28HP Iseki if anyone wants to take it off my hands as I really dont have much use for it.

Keep the ideas flowing guys.

Isaan Aussie.

Right it seems we are up and running. So first things first, I have a double door display fridge and Leo is 50 baht a bottle. Not the only option but definitely the closest, so that takes care of JC and me. For those who figure sleep is important, there are a few resorts within 10mins and one with a great restaurant about 15mins away. Around 3 to 400 for unit with AC.

There is a plot of rubber and cassava just behind the pig sty to look at, show you how to make biochar and using the compost tea brewer. Compost systems, worms and pigs, should be a litter to two of piglets arriving about then to play with.

Grab a bag or two or compost, a few kg of worm castings or even a pig or two. I can have fresh bacon available if anyone wants it. If anyone wants to start a worm farm just to get rid of the table scraps, do it on the day. Grab youself a reasonably solid plastic chest or draws from Macro and I'll supply the start up package. Compost Teabags and kits even a brewer. What else? Well, whatever, if you have something in particular in mind just drop me a message.

For anyone handy with hydraulics your welcome to have a go at fixing my tractor or at least helping find the fault. I have a five disc plough which is a little bit heavy for my 28HP Iseki if anyone wants to take it off my hands as I really dont have much use for it.

Keep the ideas flowing guys.

Isaan Aussie.

You Aussies are amazing - Well, you, Isaan Aussie, are!!! With your efficiency, no wonder you used to beat us at cricket!!!

In under 20 hours of your origional post,

Not only have you developed the nucleous of the Isaan Farmers Club (I was going to put in 'Young' but I don't think that appropriate. Maybe 'Young at Heart' would be better!),

Not only have you drawn up an interesting first agenda

BUT

You have even stocked up your double door display fridge with Leo for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I see it the only thing outstanding is for us to sort out a date

and

welcome anymore 'farmers' who would like to join us.

Thanks so much for your fantastic organisation - No wonder your pigs flourish.

Anthony.

We used to have an annual event in Alberta

Hi Kwonitoy, I am in Alberta now. Nice time of year to be here. Hope to be gone before Nov. :)

Where are you at in the WildRose Province?

I'm originally from Camrose.

Being gone from Canada is definetly smart around Oct/Nov before you're A## deep in snow.

OK JC I just checked too but cant think that far ahead. I believe it would be an advantage to have FEF here but he is currently OS. Thats why I suggest Oct in the first place. So if you are out there "O fruitless banana" in the ether, are you coming? When suits you? I seem to open the doors of the display fridge every day so it makes no difference to me.

One more suggestion. Since some people may have to travel a way, why don't we do it over two half days. Start afternoon day 1, party that night and find somewhere to sleep, continue talking in the morning, lunch at our place then off home in the afternoon. Just a thought.

OK JC I just checked too but cant think that far ahead. I believe it would be an advantage to have FEF here but he is currently OS. Thats why I suggest Oct in the first place. So if you are out there "O fruitless banana" in the ether, are you coming? When suits you? I seem to open the doors of the display fridge every day so it makes no difference to me.

One more suggestion. Since some people may have to travel a way, why don't we do it over two half days. Start afternoon day 1, party that night and find somewhere to sleep, continue talking in the morning, lunch at our place then off home in the afternoon. Just a thought.

Sounds good, but not much of a morning person. See you for lunch. Jim

Hey IA I think you just kept the door open the other night when I talked to you.

Australia and cricket is almost becoming an oxymoron, they may have to start looking over their shoulder at Kenya or Zimbabwe the way they are going. I hope Sachin gets two centuries in England in this next test, he deserves it. I'll be back the middle of Sept so anytime after would be good after the 15th for me, but 23rd is a can't miss golf tourney (well done Aussie golfer Adam Scott. Jason Day has been the guy I want to win them all since he has come on the scene, I hope he dominates soon). I'm usually available for farm stuff between before sunrise to well after sunset and most of the time during the remaining hours.

I suggest a banana tree exchange (along with any specialty seeds or plants if so possible) as usually with bananas you don't have enough trees or you have way too many so hopefully it should work out, especially as we are in the wet season.

Hey #1 of the AA's is the " young" that you are looking for, "forever", and maybe go something like this

May God bless and keep you always

May your wishes all come true

May you always do for others

And let others do for you

May you build a ladder to the stars

And climb on every rung

May you stay forever young

Forever young, forever young

May you stay forever young.

May you grow up to be righteous

May you grow up to be true

May you always know the truth

And see the lights surrounding you

May you always be courageous

Stand upright and be strong

May your hands always be busy

May your feet always be swift

May you have a strong foundation

When the winds of changes shift

May your heart always be joyful

And may your song always be sung

Dylan as always has a way of bringing it all back home. peace and love

Fabled Future Functions with Fords Forever

Date range 16 to 21 September then. OK all?

Morning start set late say 10am for breakfast. Vote now!

Suits me to get the pigs seen to first. And a pile of banana culms at my place everyone welcome.

Thats me after a long day, shower and sleep.

Feedback guys!

Isaan Aussie

PS. FEF I've here long enough to challenge Dylan. Do unto others before they do unto you, just gagging :rolleyes:

Date range 16 to 21 September then. OK all?

Morning start set late say 10am for breakfast. Vote now!

Suits me to get the pigs seen to first. And a pile of banana culms at my place everyone welcome.

Thats me after a long day, shower and sleep.

Feedback guys!

Isaan Aussie

PS. FEF I've here long enough to challenge Dylan. Do unto others before they do unto you, just gagging :rolleyes:

Ok here's Dylan and Sam Shepard collaborating

" Strange how people who suffer together have stronger connections than people who are most content.

I don't have any regrets, they can talk about me plenty when I'm gone.

You always said people don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent.

And I always said, "Hang on to me, baby, and let's hope that the roof stays on." "

This is from "Brownsville Girl" by far the best ballad that has ever been written and the story of my life in words. Oh yeah he talks about Fords in the desert and and all; harrowing eye opening reality of what was and who knows.

Talk about suffering so I roll on in from 30 hours on the road and you want me there, another dozen hours or so down the road, the next day. Well I can manage it as I've done it before in a Ford through the Baja desert and I had to do the driving. So you get it together and I'll be there but I think it should be geared towards the afternoon and early evening but anyone wanting to roll in early (like I may have to do) can also make it happen then.

IA

You can make up your own blues riff

I'm drivin' down the Highway

I'm sweating in my Ford

I said I'm drivin' down the Highway

Sweatin' in my Ford

The aircons playin up boys

Blastin' down the 24

Can't wait to taste that Leo

That IA's promised me

I said can't wait to taste that Leo

That IA's promised me

At 50bht a bottle

Sure sounds good to me.

I am just a Limey

But I can sink a can or two

I said I am just a Limey

And I can sink a can or two

Hope the bloody fridge is not too small

Or we'll all have the blues

Have a good meet. I'll see you in Feb Bob

Edited by grimleybob

OK lets settle on the weekend of the 17th and 18th of September. Start off early afternoon of the 17th and bop till we drop. Anyone who wants to cover something in detail let me know. Sunday can be mop up day. Everyone welcome to join in as they can, early or late.

Are we getting closer?

Isaan Aussie

OK lets settle on the weekend of the 17th and 18th of September. Start off early afternoon of the 17th and bop till we drop. Anyone who wants to cover something in detail let me know. Sunday can be mop up day. Everyone welcome to join in as they can, early or late.

Are we getting closer?

Isaan Aussie

Sounds good. May be able to bring our tortilla works and make some home made corn ones for the folks. I do know the fridge is plenty big enough. Flinging Flautas on Fords Forever

IA

You can make up your own blues riff

I'm drivin' down the Highway

I'm sweating in my Ford

I said I'm drivin' down the Highway

Sweatin' in my Ford

The aircons playin up boys

Blastin' down the 24

Can't wait to taste that Leo

That IA's promised me

I said can't wait to taste that Leo

That IA's promised me

At 50bht a bottle

Sure sounds good to me.

I am just a Limey

But I can sink a can or two

I said I am just a Limey

And I can sink a can or two

Hope the bloody fridge is not too small

Or we'll all have the blues

Have a good meet. I'll see you in Feb Bob

Hot Dog and Ledbelly sit back and stand up you got competition from Bob the Grimely. too tough. Feeling the Limey Bloody Fridge Blues with a Ford Forever

Edited by Foreverford

Isaan Aussie

I am getting a bit concerned that I am going to the wrong party! Are we organising a Farmers Idea Exchange or a Literary Lunch??

FEF. Thanks so much sending 'Forever Young' by Dylan. It is so beautiful that I have printed it off and will have it up by my desk.

Grimleybob. Yours was very clever. I wish that I could produce like you!!

Anyway to get down to business. I.A., I can fit in with any of the dates which you mentioned in September. As I have not too far to come, just next province, I will fit in with whatever suits those from further afield and much looking forward to meeting everyone.

Anything that I can do or produce to help?

Anthony.

We used to have an annual event in Alberta

Hi Kwonitoy, I am in Alberta now. Nice time of year to be here. Hope to be gone before Nov. :)

Where are you at in the WildRose Province?

I'm originally from Camrose.

Being gone from Canada is definetly smart around Oct/Nov before you're A## deep in snow.

I am in Cowtown,

Camrose is beautiful country. Other than the persistent banjo music that is :)

Are we getting closer?

Isaan Aussie

IA:

Kudos for all the effort you're putting into this inaugural meeting.

I'd love to come down but my wife is due to deliver our first child :D on Sept 8th, so a long drive is out of the question.

I hope everything goes well and hopefully the THREE of us can make the next one.

In keeping with the musical quotes, I'll go with AC/DC

"HAVE A DRINK ON ME"

Ken

Isaan Aussie

I am getting a bit concerned that I am going to the wrong party! Are we organising a Farmers Idea Exchange or a Literary Lunch??

FEF. Thanks so much sending 'Forever Young' by Dylan. It is so beautiful that I have printed it off and will have it up by my desk.

Grimleybob. Yours was very clever. I wish that I could produce like you!!

Anyway to get down to business. I.A., I can fit in with any of the dates which you mentioned in September. As I have not too far to come, just next province, I will fit in with whatever suits those from further afield and much looking forward to meeting everyone.

Anything that I can do or produce to help?

Anthony.

Thanks for the thanks there numero uno with the double alphabet, amazingly my mother started singing it today and i put on a Dylan Greatest hits # 3 and lo and behold there it was again. If you want to really see some amazing lyrics run down ''Brownsville Girl'', Dylan and Sam Shepard wrote it together and it is truly amazing. Sam was the son of an avocado farmer that couldn't seem to make ends meet in eastern Los Angeles County. he went to win a Pulitzer Prize for Literature. One of his greatest plays was "Tooth of Crime" which was something that is too amazing to explain. AMAZING ALLITERATION AND A PULSE AND Movement and tempo that I have never experienced in any other work.This was long before he became a famous actor known world-wide. A great guy who grew up hard scrabble on a run down farm. Definitely one of my modern day heroes and I'm sure happy he wrote the story of my life in "Brownsville Girl". Look forward to seeing you at the big hoedown. Forever Farming Fords