Exactly How _Is_ The Air Quality In Chiang Mai ?

Latindancer

I am bound to agree that some of the wording in the report leaves much to be desired and the one that caught my eye was, when referring to the size of Thailand, "Its land area is slightly over 500,000 square kilometers, almost about the same land area as France and Spain" - France OR Spain would make sense but as it stands it does not. Anyway, pedantic I hear you say, possibly.

But on the subject of monitoring stations and their alleged omission from the map: I see that Dr. Vanisa Surapipith of the Thailand Pollution Control Department (PCD)was the Thai representative who "provided information, technical research support and advice" to the report, do we suppose he doesn't know the extent of the monitoring stations that are deployed or do we treat the alleged omission in the same context as my example above, a bit of sloppy report writing where the authors got the key answers right but failed on presentation, dunno.

My impression is that they made a nice presentation but got the key answers wrong. All the facts that I could check, without diving deeply into the report, turned out to be wrong.

/ Priceless

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am bound to agree that some of the wording in the report leaves much to be desired and the one that caught my eye was, when referring to the size of Thailand, "Its land area is slightly over 500,000 square kilometers, almost about the same land area as France and Spain" - France OR Spain would make sense but as it stands it does not. Anyway, pedantic I hear you say, possibly.

But on the subject of monitoring stations and their alleged omission from the map: I see that Dr. Vanisa Surapipith of the Thailand Pollution Control Department (PCD)was the Thai representative who "provided information, technical research support and advice" to the report, do we suppose he doesn't know the extent of the monitoring stations that are deployed or do we treat the alleged omission in the same context as my example above, a bit of sloppy report writing where the authors got the key answers right but failed on presentation, dunno.

My impression is that they made a nice presentation but got the key answers wrong. All the facts that I could check, without diving deeply into the report, turned out to be wrong.

/ Priceless

I for one would urge you to "dive" Priceless to see if you can substantiate your thinking at the detail level.

Sorry to have started this thread without doing a search.... I should have known it would already be an issue for some people. Interesting that there is conjecture that it comes from North....even from as far as China.

Ok......II shall research the issue via searching previous threads.. I don't currently have respiratory issues but I hate smoke.

It's haze, not smoke. If you get a very local source, like some idiot neighbour burning leaves then you'd smell smoke. This haze stuff doesn't smell like smoke, it's mostly just very bad visibility. You can't see the mountain until you're almost on top of it. ;)

I would call it smog.

• 5 months later...

Here is something you can do when you spot a fire: squawk --- by phone. The latest numbers:

Urban and rural citizens can call for 24hrs emergency (for forest fire): 1362

Chiang Mai Provincial office of Natural Resources and Environment: 053 112725-6

Don't expect a rapid response except for a really serious conflagration. Indeed, this may seem like pissing into the wind, but if no one complains, there's no problem, right? Wrong!

Getting the village head man on your side is also good politics.

Changing traditional customs is tough and increasing the cost of rice farming by ploughing is probably tougher. But this problem historically has been tackled successfully elsewhere, in North America and Australia, for example.

It will be interesting to see if the Thai agencies will pursue the publicity campaign not to burn as strenuously this year as they did last year.

If you believe it is more useful,do it on the fire, not into the wind!

Speaking of fire, we're into that time of year when you see (almost) nightly small forest fires on the hills. It's mostly the undergrowth that burns off, not whole trees and things, but at night it makes for an interesting display.

Hell of a lot of burning last night from the direction of Samoeng.

Driving down to Mae Sot there is burning, or evidence of, the whole way and it looks like Mischief Night Detroit-style looking west into Burma.

Tonight (9pm) I just flew in from Phuket... On the glide path from south of Hang Dong to the airport I could see dozens of small fires in the flatlands... Assume farmers are getting ready for spring...

Edited by sfokevin

Speaking of fire, we're into that time of year when you see (almost) nightly small forest fires on the hills. It's mostly the undergrowth that burns off, not whole trees and things, but at night it makes for an interesting display.

Can't say we have the same aesthetic sensibilities, Khun Nero! Cheers!

Seriously, we are, as well, a long way from banning neighborhood trash burning or clearing the verge on roads. Ponder land clearing by really poor people and very real market problems for farmers! No rich agricultural economy I am familiar with has really nailed down how to deal effectively with the vagaries of weather and global markets (as the rice market now is) except to --- in various ways --- throw money at it.

Anyway, I am not a farmer. I grew up in a blissfully suburban way when burning a pile of autumn leaves was thought harmless, and I really don't wish to be caught in some trap of "ecological correctness" while regretting my leaving, comparatively, a nasty personal "carbon trail" by how I travel, how I keep cool in the heat, warm in the cold, how I eat, where my excrement goes and how it is processed, and so on. But to keep making the point effectively about the problem with burning, perhaps grumbling about the overall health issue can ultimately be helpful. Perhaps we can be part of a "puke puce" revolution since people are into colors these days to describe "movements." Maybe that can color the flag of bodily and political complaints we all are now somewhat embarrassed to wave!

Taking a quantitative approach, I accept the rough dimensions of the problem, try to understand that I can only have a microcosmic impact upon it, and try not to get caught up in carping nitty-gritty statistical analysis. Up to a point (either aquiline or pug) you need to depend upon your nose to analyze what's in the air! Anyway, one thing can be to try to do something about what brings on the sniffles, or much worse! Self and public interest might coalesce in emphatic emphysemic ways.

Or, more fun, have a bit to drink, lean out your window ( recommended to start, preferably, away from your neighbors) and shout: "I'm mad, and I'm not going to take it any more!"

March April is the time to avoid. It's about luck of precipitation. A dry year would make a horrible March April. Last year was great but I remember a few years ago when it was really bad. Almost comically bad. Anderson Coopers people showed up and if CNN is visiting then you know something is jacked.

I am headed to the states in a few weeks. Don't want to push my luck.. last year i stayed and got rewarded when the rains came early.

I like bicycle riding and it brings me to my knees with sinus and breathing irritation.. The rest of the year is pretty good if one avoids major roads and road time.

• Like 1

The Government is trying to educate the farmers to Mulch the old crops with the mulching machines that were bought by the Government.

Obviously it is still taking time to re educate these farmers.

Maybe it might never happen, who knows!

March April is the time to avoid. It's about luck of precipitation. A dry year would make a horrible March April. Last year was great but I remember a few years ago when it was really bad. Almost comically bad. Anderson Coopers people showed up and if CNN is visiting then you know something is jacked.

I am headed to the states in a few weeks. Don't want to push my luck.. last year i stayed and got rewarded when the rains came early.

I like bicycle riding and it brings me to my knees with sinus and breathing irritation.. The rest of the year is pretty good if one avoids major roads and road time.

In fact, as one can see from the graph, February (latter part) and March is really the time to avoid:

post-20094-0-86810900-1328585449_thumb.j

The April 'a few years ago' that CobraSnakeNecktie remembers was that of 2010. This was extreme for April with a pollution level 67% higher than average and actually more than 40% over the second highest (which was back in 2004).

/ Priceless

Just visited the Pollution Control Departments website as the air quality seems worse today (11/02) in MaeRim (north of Chiang Mai) only to discover that they haven't put in any updates since January 31. In the past, the PCD has been a good (only) source of information. Wonder what is going on?

Just visited the Pollution Control Departments website as the air quality seems worse today (11/02) in MaeRim (north of Chiang Mai) only to discover that they haven't put in any updates since January 31. In the past, the PCD has been a good (only) source of information. Wonder what is going on?

The air quality is probably worse and presuming it is what are you going to do about it ? Either put up with it,and none of us enjoy it, or move to the coast for the next 2 months.

The air quality is probably worse and presuming it is what are you going to do about it ? Either put up with it,and none of us enjoy it, or move to the coast for the next 2 months.

Even when the site is up to date, it only shows what the air quality was...... yesterday. Look out your window, if it looks 'orrible, it probably is. Easier if you live outside of the city, where you can judge visibility, not so easy if you're low down in the centre & can't see so far. Keep your windows closed (best to do anyway, as it's hotter outside than in, so open windows only allow warm air into the house) and avoid strenuous exercise outside. Take a trip up Doi Suthep, & hike to the top of Doi Pui, & take a look at the brown filth that is the air over the city sad.png Cleaner air up there, & cooler. Last couple of days have looked horrible - but that might be just humidity, haze, or pollution. Not easy to tell, just assume the worst.

Edited by MESmith

I'm a pretty good gauge when the air is bad, because my sinuses soon kick in. Last 4 days have been horrible.

Maybe the mods could pin a "cmsally's sinuses update" thread at the top of the page ;-) Probably more reliable than the pcd site :)

Some folk, myself included are more sensitive to air quality then others.

Out of say 10 friends I have, 4 are affect as soon as air quality deteriates and the remaining 6 do not seem to suffer.

So for most people air quality is not a problem but for people like me then a move out of town is on the cards.

john

Some folk, myself included are more sensitive to air quality then others.

Out of say 10 friends I have, 4 are affect as soon as air quality deteriates and the remaining 6 do not seem to suffer.

So for most people air quality is not a problem but for people like me then a move out of town is on the cards.

john

I'm one of the sensitive 40%, a former resident and now regular visitor to Chiang Mai. I was surprised to find the air already rather bad last December, my resident friends also complained of scratchy throats. A shame, it's such a nice place otherwise.

Sigh , indeed the quality of air is worse , my chest is feeling bruised a bit , my son is coughing for approx 5 days and my darling has severe headaches , something has changed abruptly to the worse lately . We saw long stretched forest fires between Mae Teng and Chiangdao last weekend , together with the gradual air pollution in Ampoeh Muang Chiangmai ....enough said .

Hope a unexpected monsoon will blow over soon .......

Edited by tijnebijn

Today seems especially bad. Tried working in the garden this morning, but gave up after a few minutes of cutting. The air just "felt wrong". eyes felt sore,

The pcd website now directs to http://aqmthai.com/ 2 sites in CM - 35t & 36t. Both showing high levels of ozone. a68 is Lamphun - showing high pm10 levels. btw this site updates throughout the day, & shows locations on googlemaps.

While the readings aren't as high, the air is looking the worst year since the horrible Feb-march of about 4 years ago when the PM10 hit 300+ in CM.

Here's the translation of Mr Smith's link:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=th&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Faqmthai.com%2F

Since the PCD site went down on 31 Jan, will Priceless have the records for the missing two weeks? If not, his statistics going forward will be less meaningful.

My question is -- Since I keep reading, on this thread and others, that our local pollution is caused by burning in other places, who is blaming CM for the pollution from all the burning I see around the province?

I'd throw in my ten cents worth but frankly there's little need, there now seems to be a much more balanced and appropriate set of views on the subject of CM pollution, five years ago or so it was all one way, there's no pollution per se/it's not at all bad/no cause of health problems! Today folks seem much more open to admiting the truth and that's positive, even to the extent that much of the pollution is imported which five years ago was a laughable concept.