Bank Account With Work Visa?

Hi

I have been in Bangkok for a while, and opened a Bangkok Bank account and got a Be1st visa debit card. I now have my work visa, and understand I have more options with this. The issue I have with my B1st card is that it cannot be used online or phone ordering. Apart from that have been very happy with Bangkok Bank. Does anyone know if there is a better debit card from Bangkok Bank if you have a work visa. I know you can get internet banking with work visa. Or is there a better bank I could use? I was thinking Citibank ?

Thanks for any advice.

My initial understanding is that the B1st card is actually not a debit card but an electronic card which is why you can only use it in shops that require your pin code typed in (normal in EU these days). Basically only an ATM card on steroids.

Also note that the number is printed ON the card, but not im-printed so that one can us a "flue swapper machine" to run it through.

Anyway; I have not seen BKK Bank (or other banks for that matter) offer "real" debit cards but instead they offer CREDIT cards in all variations and colors! With a work permit it should be a straight forward process.

Even without a work permit I was told by sweet credit card sales girl at a Central counter that I should instead just show at least 3 months of "income" on my BKK Bank book and that could be used for the application.

Cheers!

Edited by Firefan

>The B1st card is actually not a debit card but an electronic card which is why you >can only use it in shops that require your pin code typed in (normal in EU these >days). Basically only an ATM card on steroids. No way can you just sign a slip in a >shop and use it.

Sorry but thats not true. There are a few cards from Bangkok Bank. A ATM card which they tried give me. I smiled a lot and asked for a Be1st Card. Its strange as it has VISA printed on it - but no mention of electron etc. You are correct in that the number is printed. I have used this card in shops all over, from tesco to the cinema without an issue and NOT using my PIN Number. I have only ever signed the little slip. Not seen chip and pin anywhere in Bangkok so far.

The problem is when they ask for CCV2 number on the back of card for Internet and some phone banking. It has no number and so cannot be used.

>Anyway; I have not seen BKK Bank (or other banks for that matter) offer "real" >debit cards but instead they offer CREDIT cards in all variations and colors! With a >work permit it should be a straight forward process.

>Even without a work permit I was told by sweet credit card sales girl at a Central >counter that I should instead just show at least 3 months of "income" on my BKK >Bank book and that could be used for the application.

uhm, that was what I thought would be the case :-( I have 3 months statements, however I have read on here that most people fail to get Credit cards even if you have worked here a long time. I am paid in Baht, and using my UK card is expensive :-(

Thanks

Woody

Hi Woody,

Interesting to hear - and thanks for correcting me. I had my understanding from a recent thread here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48023 as you can see Monty convinced me.

I now think that it might be the BKK Bank part of the card (not the Visa electron) that allows you to use the card in Thailand without the pin code (but w. signature only).

Have anybody using it abroad in a shop just signed a slip? (no pin).

I will pick up my own B1st card in 1 week. I also have the blue ATM card (cash in Thailand via pin code only) and will normally only carry that - as much harder for a thief to abuse - especially after learning above.

As for credit card I fully agree we have heard lots of stories (and while my source was cute, she was probably not the decision maker :o ) - but with a work permit and a decent salary it seems most get it.

Cheers!

Hi

I got the card when I walked in. (Silom Road branch) headquaters I think. You walk to the back of the ground floor, grab a number. Find the application forms on the side and fill out. and then wait for number to be called. I saw so many people walk in, sit down, then work out to grab a number. Sit some more, get called, and then be told to fill in a form. grab new number, wait all over again :-) After seeing the 3rd person do this I had to get up and mention to each new expat who walked in :-)

Anyway, when called they photocopy your passport, ask a few questions and then open a draw take out a stack of pre printed cards and hand you one (your name is printed at the end of all of this).

I must admit I have not yet tried to use this card abroad, you may well be right - it would not work. I will try next time in Singapore.

One other thing to offer as a suggestion if you are British. American Express has a new travel card, which can be loaded up with £3000, (its reloadable). I have used this all over Asia and it sa great product. Just a pain not many websites take Amex. www.americanexpreess.co.uk > click travel > american express travel card.

Woody

Hi Woody,

Interesting to hear - and thanks for correcting me. I had my understanding from a recent thread here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48023 as you can see Monty convinced me.

I now think that it might be the BKK Bank part of the card (not the Visa electron) that allows you to use the card in Thailand without the pin code (but w. signature only).

Have anybody using it abroad in a shop just signed a slip? (no pin).

I will pick up my own B1st card in 1 week. I also have the blue ATM card (cash in Thailand via pin code only) and will normally only carry that - as much harder for a thief to abuse - especially after learning above.

As for credit card I fully agree we have heard lots of stories (and while my source was cute, she was probably not the decision maker :o ) - but with a work permit and a decent salary it seems most get it.

Cheers!

Hi Woody! He,he - yeah saw the same show myself with several foreigners - but personally I managed to do it on ONE number only as the girl helped me fill out the form at the desk - it has it advantages being a tall, blonde Scandinavien bloke here I guess! :o (but no Brit Amex for me then...).

The reason I did not get the B1st card right away was that I opted to get my photo on the card. Takes 2 weeks.

Cheers!

Edited by Firefan

That explains why you were waiting for you ... thought maybe you were still say in line in the bank :-)

Yeh I am young, but large British bulldog :-) Think the girls are frightened of me :-)

FYI: I posted on another forum. Seems the Siam Commerial Mastercard "EasyCard" will do what I want.

Woody

Hi Woody! He,he - yeah saw the same show myself with several foreigners - but personally I managed to do it on ONE number only as the girl helped me fill out the form at the desk - it has it advantages being a tall, blonde Scandinavien bloke here I guess! :o (but no Brit Amex for me then...).

The reason I did not get the B1st card right away was that I opted to get my photo on the card. Takes 2 weeks.

Cheers!