Finding Things That You Take For Granted In The West!

martspec

One of lifes true sayings "There's never an advantage without a disadvantage". Living in Thailand is the advantage, so not being able to buy some things you are used to is the disadvantage. However with careful sourcing most things can be found, otherwise the trip back home is the remedy. We usually return each year for a month or so but have found that our shopping list in the UK gets smaller each year. Its down to Parsnips and Swedes this year, for me anyway. My wife seems to think that UK clothes are cheaper and better than those sold in Thailand, especially so for our numerous nephews, nieces and families new borns or the very young.

Well it seems no one in the northeast has a computer or they do not know what Epsom Salts is. I have spent 6 months of the last 12 here in Thailand and I am still trying to find out why so many Brits and Aussies think it is so wonderful. For the most part I think it sucks! It is certainly more expensive than Texas USA. The only thing that is cheap is housing and it is skyrocketing. Labor is about double what it was a year ago. I am not a fan of having whores hitting on me at every corner. I can see why the guy from UK I met the other day loves it here. I ask him what he was doing in Thailand and he told me he was looking for his next ex-girlfriend. I think that is the most anti woman remark I have heard in 72 years of life on this planet.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that the Brits go through various food withdrawls and are very specific about what western (British) foods are required for a satisfactory life.

This Texan (the OP) just seems to be going through codine withdrawls ...... and culture shock, good luck. I feel quite at home here but I do miss good ale.

One of lifes true sayings "There's never an advantage without a disadvantage". Living in Thailand is the advantage, so not being able to buy some things you are used to is the disadvantage. However with careful sourcing most things can be found, otherwise the trip back home is the remedy. We usually return each year for a month or so but have found that our shopping list in the UK gets smaller each year. Its down to Parsnips and Swedes this year, for me anyway. My wife seems to think that UK clothes are cheaper and better than those sold in Thailand, especially so for our numerous nephews, nieces and families new borns or the very young.

Well it seems no one in the northeast has a computer or they do not know what Epsom Salts is. I have spent 6 months of the last 12 here in Thailand and I am still trying to find out why so many Brits and Aussies think it is so wonderful. For the most part I think it sucks! It is certainly more expensive than Texas USA. The only thing that is cheap is housing and it is skyrocketing. Labor is about double what it was a year ago. I am not a fan of having whores hitting on me at every corner. I can see why the guy from UK I met the other day loves it here. I ask him what he was doing in Thailand and he told me he was looking for his next ex-girlfriend. I think that is the most anti woman remark I have heard in 72 years of life on this planet.

GF is out doing the weekly washing and getting her hair done, cost $4.00. When she returns we will take a bus to the mall 30 miles $1.20 for both of us.

Her rent is $66 a month mine is $120 we both have one bedroom apartments in nice buildings with security and AC and hot water with cable.

I went to the doctor this week and for the visit and prescription medication it was $13 no appointment necessary and 10 minute wait. The doctor graduated from a US med school.

I am going out for my morning espresso $1 and crème caramel .14 cents. Taxi one mile .50 cents.

As far as your Western morals good for you. I don't like Christmas and I fail to see how being a realist makes one anti female.

Pretty sure I have seen Milk of Magnesia and Epsom salts in the Pharmacy sections of Tesco's and in Boots in both Pattaya and BKK of course it may have been Watsons....but certain I have seen them...

ps when you write a post....try and put things in paragraphs, not trying to be an English Nazi, but you post is very hard to read...:rolleyes:

Well I will not question your memory but none here in Udon at Tesco, Boots, Big , Watsons or any pharmacy I have visited. A pharmacist here who spoke very good English told me they can not sell it. I have no idea why. She told me I can get Epsom Salts at hospital but all the hospitals I have visited here are like a Chinese fire drill and no one seems to speak any English.

Anyway, Thanks for your reply!

Consider moving to Pattaya... you can get itterally anything in some pharmacies here...

Exactly, Pattaya, Phuket & some parts of BKK you can get absolutely anything fropm pharmacies.

Decent black pudding. And by decent I don't mean that chopped up Winalot excrement they try to fob you off with here

try Bunters buntersfoodsbk they have an excellent selection of all foods British and they will deliver if you order enough, from a fellow black-pudding fanbiggrin.gif

Will they deliver by the ton? :D

It seems that the Brits go through various food withdrawls and are very specific about what western (British) foods are required for a satisfactory life.

This Texan (the OP) just seems to be going through codine withdrawls ...... and culture shock, good luck. I feel quite at home here but I do miss good ale.

No I do not have codine withdrawal I just want some Epsom Salts and a few things I take for granted and have found in every country I have lived in and that is about 25 including Japan and Taiwan. I find the average Thai IQ about 45 or 50 and the average foreigner to be a middle aged or older drunk who likes to chase very young women..

the average foreigner to be a middle aged or older drunk who likes to chase very young women..

Yes and we know you came to Thailand for the temples, culture and beaches.....:whistling:

As the regards the Thai IQ comment rather harsh dont you think ?....rather like saying only two things come out of Texa's --- Steers and Queers....:rolleyes:

No I do not have codine withdrawal I just want some Epsom Salts and a few things I take for granted and have found in every country I have lived in and that is about 25 including Japan and Taiwan. I find the average Thai IQ about 45 or 50 and the average foreigner to be a middle aged or older drunk who likes to chase very young women..

Try asking for this.

epson salts = ดี เกลือ

magnesium sulfate = ดี เกลือ ฝรั่ง

I've bought 100% cotton socks in Robinson's on several occasions....use them for bike riding.

Epsom salts in Udon: Across the street from the Bangkok Bank on Phosri Rd and immediately next to the gold store, there's an old Chinese pharmacy. He has epsom salts.

My experience over 14 years: most everything you need is available in country. You just need to know how to find it.

Decent black pudding. And by decent I don't mean that chopped up Winalot excrement they try to fob you off with here

try Bunters buntersfoodsbk they have an excellent selection of all foods British and they will deliver if you order enough, from a fellow black-pudding fanbiggrin.gif

Well so far I received a lot of trash and no one has told me where I can get Epsom Salts. Why would I want to move to Pattaya? I was there about 40 years ago before all the whore mongers came and the 250,000 whores followed them and now what was a nice friendly beach town with very little sex and almost none displayed like it is now, to the biggest eyesore in Thailand. If someone who still has some sanity left would tell me how to shut down this posting I created and got nothing from, I would be more than happy to do it

Well so far I received a lot of trash and no one has told me where I can get Epsom Salts. Why would I want to move to Pattaya? I was there about 40 years ago before all the whore mongers came and the 250,000 whores followed them and now what was a nice friendly beach town with very little sex and almost none displayed like it is now, to the biggest eyesore in Thailand. If someone who still has some sanity left would tell me how to shut down this posting I created and got nothing from, I would be more than happy to do it

WOW think you really have some issues....but I would hazard a guess and say 40 years ago Pattaya wasnt a nice friendly beach town..!!!.....There was no town....:whistling:

Too much agent orange me thinks....:lol:

PS I suspect you are getting trash because you are being rude and offensive....you asked about Epsom salts which you turned into insulting Thai IQ's, other farangs and every self respecting whore in Pattaya

Edited by Soutpeel

You must live in a very athletic community. Most of the old guys that I know just sit there. The vision of all these old drunk guys running after young women I will admit is off putting. I don't drink and the only young woman I have chased in Thailand is the one who stole my wallet but having said that, I assume given someone mailed you some Epsom salts and pain pills that the low IQ and shoddy morals of Western men would still turn you away from Thailand.

Just out of curiosity why did you come to Thailand?

While we're on the "where can you find this...anyone seen methylated spirits around??There seems to be thinners and other stuff but no meths-I need it to try out a clothes cleaning method not for drinking...although with the price of wine here in Thailand.....

I presume you are looking for dry cleaning solvent. I used to buy it from a clothing dry cleaners in the USA. If you can find a real chemical distributor they would have it or a dry cleaner. All of them will have it as they usually buy it in 55 gallon drums. Is there any way to edit or delete a post? This one is nothing but a headache and I am no closer to finding Epsom Salts here than before I posted it>

And I'm sure the Pattaya friendliness factor took a dive when you left.

rolleyes.gif

And I'm sure the Pattaya friendliness factor took a dive when you left.

Tell me, were you born an asshol_e or did you go to school to learn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rolleyes.gif

Edited by martspec

While we're on the "where can you find this...anyone seen methylated spirits around??There seems to be thinners and other stuff but no meths-I need it to try out a clothes cleaning method not for drinking...although with the price of wine here in Thailand.....

I presume you are looking for dry cleaning solvent. I used to buy it from a clothing dry cleaners in the USA. If you can find a real chemical distributor they would have it or a dry cleaner. All of them will have it as they usually buy it in 55 gallon drums. Is there any way to edit or delete a post? This one is nothing but a headache and I am no closer to finding Epsom Salts here than before I posted it>

And based on the information you are handing out, "Raesum" is no closer to finding methylated spirits either.....in case you hadnt noticed Toto...you aint in "the Land O free" anymore.?:rolleyes:

hhmmmmmmmmmm respond or not respond to this ?

oh well I have taken the bait

Was the original post not about the things that people miss and try to find here in Thailand !

I was replying to a post from someone who asked where they could find good black-pudding as for your obsession with bath salts not sure how that relates to Pattaya becoming the biggest eye sore in Thailand but I will agree, that's why I don't live there :)

clearer postings may save peoples time in posting response and save you the stress lol

and add to the edit:bath salts would help you relax and maybe lessen your stressed replies.All posters unite and find him some salts, before he joins the infamous flying clubbiggrin.gif

Edited by dumpling

^ Yes Heaven forbid I myself and others should contribute to thread with posts completely embracing the thread title. Maybe " Where can I buy Epsom salts" would have been more appropriate but maybe a bit too whacky and left field for the OP.

Luckily I only associate with people like myself, who are well below average.

But at least I'm not a baity humourless whinger who can't do without his epsoms.

Blang! All that work on my inferiority complex wasted; there was me feeling the lowest of the low.

Hope the withdrawal symptoms clear up, and my recommendation is to say No to drugs, even pain-killers, if you are far enough away that I can't hear you moan

SC

I've bought 100% cotton socks in Robinson's on several occasions....use them for bike riding.

Epsom salts in Udon: Across the street from the Bangkok Bank on Phosri Rd and immediately next to the gold store, there's an old Chinese pharmacy. He has epsom salts.

My experience over 14 years: most everything you need is available in country. You just need to know how to find it.

Doesn't this post contain a good lead to aleviate the Isaan epsom crisis ? And if you cross the mighty Mae Kong you will find opiates aplenty. After his needs are met that friendly Texas feller may be in a better mood, y'all come back now.

Is this allowed in this forum to discriminate Thai people and saying they are stupid ? strange ...