Gasohol

sierra01

I’m getting conflicting advice on whether I can use gasohol in my car, one dealer says yes, another no, yet another says no but I can use 91 if I have the ignition retarded ( I use 95 at the moment) and PTT said no. It’s a 1995 Corsa 1.4 manual. From what I can figure out gasohol will eat the fuel lines over time, I’ve read about that and it makes sense I suppose, can I change them, how much? Is retarding the ignition ok or will that cause problems? 15 years ago in the UK I had my car’s ignition retarded so I could use unleaded petrol, used it for about 8 years and no problems, but that was to do with hardened valve seats, not lower octane……help!

If you’re reading this Dave (INTJ) I did 200km last weekend and a few short trips around my area, so far everything is going ok. I’m going to Korat in a couple of weeks so another good test, then Chiang Mai again end of Nov, but it looks as if the problems are over, thanks mate.

Not too long ago, I asked the same question regarding my gaz guzzling old Toyota. Another poster recommended retarding the ignition and listening for "knocks". If there is too much knocking, you have to go back to 95. Thus far, I've played it safe and stuck with 95. It's not cheap, but with a car as old as mine I wouldn't want to tool around with it too much.

The problem with Gasohol is that it increases your fuel consumption

It will cost you more in fuel even when you take the reduced price per litre into consideration.

Your fuel lines will have a reduced life time but nothing dramatic.

They might last 9 years instead of 10

The  problem with Gasohol is that it increases your fuel consumption

It will cost you more in fuel even when you take the reduced price per litre into consideration.

Your fuel lines will have a reduced life time but nothing dramatic.

They might last 9 years instead of 10

Confirmed information?

Asking because many Thai newspapers, including English-language Bangkok Post have recommended switching to gasohol without mentioning anything about the increase in fuel consumption...

Interesting.

Here's a quote from USA Today:

But ethanol contains only about two-thirds the energy of gasoline: 76,000 British thermal units (Btu) per gallon for ethanol; 115,000 for gasoline. Mixing ethanol with gas forces you to use more to go the same distance.

And, here's an interesting article from Cornell (US) University:

Ethanol fuel from corn faulted as 'unsustainable subsidized food burning' in analysis by Cornell scientist

I've been running Ethanol in my Toyota Vios. I get about 17 kilometers per liter on the highway.

However, given the information above I think I'll switch back to 91 Octane regular....

I ride on Toyota Camry v.2.4, 2005. I use gasohol more than 3 months It's good for my pocket because I pay less and the engine is ok =12-13 km/l

I suggest you get IN it next time, might save even more gas.

Seriously though that is very good mileage for a 2.4

I used to run 4 race cars on pure alcohol and they absolutely drank the stuff compared to the same engine running on petrol.

The races had to be shortened because no-one could go the distance.

Someone else here on the forum reported that they got 600km to a tank on petrol and only 450km on gasohol

Edited by Thetyim

It's a long story but I had to leave my car at the Chevy dealer in Kampaeng Phet for a few days, it was ill, and they said I could use gasohol. I filled it up there and I'm pretty sure I got a little less milage than I usually do, it was only the one decent journey so it wasn't a very good test really. Anyway, what's the verdict on retarding the ignition, give it a try and if it knocks then back to 95 or stay with the gasohol? If the alcohol shortens the life of the fuel lines what about the seals in the fuel system, will it eat them as well?

I know I know, so many questions! The main thing I'm scared of is damaging the engine, replacing fuel lines and seals would be expensive but not as expensive as new valves or whatever. IF I could choose I would go for 91, but again not at the expense of damaging the engine.

Gasohol will not damage your engine.

Alcohol burns very clean and will actually extend engine life.

Your fuel consumption will increase.

I cannot tell you by how much. I have read many differing reports and the increase seems to vary, but it is always an increase.

The neat alcohol has a shelf life of two weeks.

I don't trust the oil companies to manage the stock properly.

That's problem number two.

Ok thanks people, I'm still not sure what to do, I want to stay with gasohol but not if the fuel lines are gonna melt and strand me! I'll have a try at retarding the ignition and using 91, any pinking or whatever then I'll.......don't know, probably stick to 95 or sell the ###### thing!

• 2 weeks later...

Today I called my local dealer and BMW headquarters in Bangkok.

My dealer rep understood my questions because we have discussed this in the past. She knows about the problems of gasohol, in terms of evaporation, reduced fuel economy and seemed to agree when I told her that I thought that I'd been given gasohol despite asking for 100% benzene.

She said she had a Bangkok rep in house today and would get back to me tomorrow about possible solutions.

I called BMW headquarters as well to see what they would say.

I am told that BMW is aware of the issue and is working on a solution that they hope will be available "next year". They have not put this in writing anywhere - would be nice to see it on the website. I hope this is not BS. :o

At any rate, the individual I spoke to said that my engine would not be affected, but the fuel lines and gas tank would be. He said, this problem would take 2 to 3 years to develop. So, according to BMW, we don't have too much to worry about, just the cost of parts replacement. Better save my satangs! :D

Today I called my local dealer and BMW headquarters in Bangkok.

My dealer rep understood my questions because we have discussed this in the past. She knows about the problems of gasohol, in terms of evaporation, reduced fuel economy and seemed to agree when I told her that I thought that I'd been given gasohol despite asking for 100% benzene.

She said she had a Bangkok rep in house today and would get back to me tomorrow about possible solutions.

I called BMW headquarters as well to see what they would say.

I am told that BMW is aware of the issue and is working on a solution that they hope will be available "next year". They have not put this in writing anywhere - would be nice to see it on the website. I hope this is not BS.  :o

At any rate, the individual I spoke to said that my engine would not be affected, but the fuel lines and gas tank would be. He said, this problem would take 2 to 3 years to develop. So, according to BMW, we don't have too much to worry about, just the cost of parts replacement. Better save my satangs!  :D

Cheers for the update, I'm still waiting for a response from BMW Germany :D

If it's only the lines and tank then replacement should not be a problem, I'm more worried about fuel pump and injectors.

If it's only the lines and tank then replacement should not be a problem, I'm more worried about fuel pump and injectors.

Good point. Based on the phone conversation I had, I think the injectors will be okay, but I'm not sure about the fuel pump. Is it external to the engine (in line with the lines) or external like a water pump?

I would expect to need to replace or rebuild the fuel pump with new seals, etc.

We'll see. I should hear something from my local dealer today, as well.