• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 26

Famous Singer Tik Shiro Involved in Fatal Bangkok Car Accident, Two Dead

2. 0

Survivors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki Awarded Nobel Peace Prize for Nuclear Disarmament

3. 0

Controversy Surrounds Guardian Review of Oct 7 Documentary on Hamas Massacre

4. 0

Unlikely Justice for Victims of Novichok Poisoning, Says Former PM Theresa May

5. 0

The Growing Influence of the US Far Right on Ireland's Extremist Movements

6. 0

Boris Johnson Hints at Potential Return to Front-Line Politics

7. 0

Pro-Palestinian ‘mob-rule tactics’ Force Postponement of Braverman’s Cambridge Speech

8. 0

Taylor Swift Donates $5 Million to Hurricane Relief Efforts

9. 0

Honeymoon Period Over for Kamala Harris Polls Show Tight Race

10. 0

DeSantis Pushes Back on Climate Change’s Role in Stronger Storms

11. 0

German Politician Calls for Ban on Greta Thunberg Over Pro-Palestinian Protest Involvement

12. 0

U.S. Seeks to Weaken Hezbollah’s Grip on Lebanon Amid Israeli Offensive

13. 0

YouTuber and BBC Star Yung Filly Arrested in Australia Over Alleged Hotel Rape

Kudos For Bangkok Bank

First, I was the one who screwed up. Before leaving Thailand for the summer, I should have organized setting up payment to a third party from my Bangkok Bank account. But, I procrastinated and kinda figured I'd manage with the full internet access I've got to my account. Not true - I still needed the one time password system but don't have cell phone access while away, so it wouldn't happen.

So, when I couldn't do what I wanted over the internet, I contacted Bangkok Bank by email, first, directly to Ian, a member of TV and someone who has helped me out in the past, as well as other members of TV. He passed my problem on to colleagues at the bank.

I know we whinge and whine and complain about lots of things, often justified, but no more bitching about Bangkok Bank! jap.gif

They went the extra mile, providing the kind of service and personal help that I can only vaguely remember from North American banks decades ago.

My heartfelt thanks and gratitude right here and now, publicly, to all the people at Bangkok Bank biggrin.gif

May I ask what exactly the bank did for/to you in "providing the kind of service and personal help "? I am also with Bangkok Bank and I am also traveling back and forth to the States on a yearly basis. I might learn from your experience to not forget what to do before leaving Thailand in the future. Thank you.

From the mention of the One Time Password and cell phone, I think its the use of the (thai) mobile phone for receiving a password. If you don't have a thai mobile phone number registered with internet banking, then its basically impossible to pass the security steps to add a new account that you want to transfer money to. if you are already abroad, then you can't just go down the road and buy a Thai SIM and then walk into a branch to register that number against your internet banking service. If you have roaming on your thai number you're ok, but if you don't have a thai number at all, then you're kind of stuck.

JusMe, thanks for the kind words. We always appreciate positive feedback and we are always grateful to customers like you who point out where we can improve. As you mentioned my colleagues actually did the hard word. Daveroc on this forum can also be a way to contact the Bank if you have problems with products and services, and he will involve me as required for technical or issues to do with the international side.

Aurelius, you are exactly correct in your summary. Thanks for contributing.

Ian

Ian, would it be possible to receive the "one time password" by email? I too have had the requirement to set-up a 3rd party account while abroad -- with no Thai cellphone access.

I realize an email system for this is not in place. But, just wondering if it ever could be......?

Ian, would it be possible to receive the "one time password" by email? I too have had the requirement to set-up a 3rd party account while abroad -- with no Thai cellphone access.

I realize an email system for this is not in place. But, just wondering if it ever could be......?

Hi Jim

I think the use of email is problematic for time sensitive messages like this as sometimes things can get jammed up on either end. While this also happens with SMS sometimes, we can get a service level agreement for domestic SMS. For email there is no SLA, so the message may well expire before it arrives which will make it useless

While I understand that with smartphones that email, SMS and push messages all kind of blend, they are all based on different technologies. There is a technology which is ideal for this called USSD, but it is not offered commercially by the MNOs here (mobile operators) although they do use it for their own service.

We are looking at this, considering various technology and commerical alternatives and we will hope to have something available in the mid-term which will meet the needs of our many thousands of expat customers. Please understand this is not that we do not value the market, it is just that technologies are moving so fast we want to make sure we offer something which is relevant for the future.

Ian