Dreambox Card Reader Not Working

Luciv6

I recently got my first dreambox, a 500S. I'm trying to use it with my authentic/original TrueVisions smartcard. The card is quite old, perhaps 5+ years (UBC days?) and seems to be an Irdeto v2.2.

I have the box running on pli Jade 3 and have the free to air channels displaying fine. However, when I try to use the internal smartcard reader all I seem to get is unknown card or no card inserted.

I'm using the latest version of CCcam and never get anything but this error. Tried most of the other cams with the same result.

When I try using CCcam with NewCS I sometimes get back from NewCS that an Irdeto card was found. Then it runs into a bunch of problems such as closing cam, restarting cam numerous times. Then hang up error 7 or 9. If I restart and check the cam again and again it ends up with hang up error. A reboot and try again after a few attempts I get the card found, then error error error. Check it more times, nothing but hang up errors. Card works fine in a normal receiver.

Any ideas whats going on here? Or can someone send me some config files I could try?

A satellite chap who is in the biz told me that Dreambox won't work anymore because True now sends out a checking algorithm periodically to check the authenticity of the smart card. TheTrue box responds to this signal but a Dreambox can't.

A satellite chap who is in the biz told me that Dreambox won't work anymore because True now sends out a checking algorithm periodically to check the authenticity of the smart card. TheTrue box responds to this signal but a Dreambox can't.

Mine is working - Sorry i can't be more helpful.

Edited by MartinBKK

The card is valid, I've owned it for over 5 years and pay it monthly.

I'm quite sure this setup works with TrueVisions, but being new to dreamboxes I'm not sure if I have a problem with configuration or if the card reader is actually faulty.

I'm quite sure this setup works with TrueVisions, but being new to dreamboxes I'm not sure if I have a problem with configuration or if the card reader is actually faulty.

Check out the pli.org website and you will find everything you need.

Edited by sammycic

Check out the pli.org website and you will find everything you need.

An American Credit Card site will be of little help to our OP :)

This link may be of more use http://www.pli-images.org/ :)

Does the card work in a non-Dreambox receiver?

Could be related - a couple of months back our antique True receiver died, when the engineer replaced it with a new Topfield box he also had to replace the card as 'the old card won't work in the new box'.

No idea why or anything else, but it did stop my wireless card-sharer working :( I suspect the card is married to the receiver although how this helps our OP I don't know.

You know what really pisses me off? Its people moaning on here because their PIRATED truevision service for 400 baht instead of 1500 isnt working well!

Dooohhhhh.......hello, its a PIRATED service. If you want it 100%, buy a bloody subscription!!

You know what really pisses me off? Its people moaning on here because their PIRATED truevision service for 400 baht instead of 1500 isnt working well!

Dooohhhhh.......hello, its a PIRATED service. If you want it 100%, buy a bloody subscription!!

Pat, if you took time to actually READ the OP you'd find it's a genuine Truevisions card, absolutely nothing illegal about using it in a non-Truevisions receiver.

Pat, if you took time to actually READ the OP you'd find it's a genuine Truevisions card, absolutely nothing illegal about using it in a non-Truevisions receiver.

Dont believe that. Why? If you pay a subscription to True, you get a card AND a receiver which gives you the True signal when you insert it. IF you pay a True subscription why the hell would you want to be sticking it in someone elses box???!!!

Dont believe that. Why? If you pay a subscription to True, you get a card AND a receiver which gives you the True signal when you insert it. IF you pay a True subscription why the hell would you want to be sticking it in someone elses box???!!!

You priced up a second true box lately ?

True, IF you choose rent their equipment. TrueVisions also have an option that allows you to buy rather than rent the kit and the certainly used to do a card-only subscription for less money (can't be bothered to search their crappy site to find out if it's still available).

There are a number of reasons one may not wish to use the True kit, for example if you want a PVR that actually works properly.

You should not automatically assume that all Dreambox users are stealing the signal.

You are quite within your rights to disbelieve our OP but I ask you and other posters not to disrupt this thread, if you believe illegal activities are being discussed please use the 'Report' button.

Referring to the usefulness of some posters, they are much better off by being simply igmored. That's what I did...

To do so, click on My Settings to the right of your username. Then under "Your Options" pick the "Profile" tab and you will find "Manage ignored users" on the left. Click on it and near the bottom you'll see "Add a new user to the list" --> and the field to add a "Member's Name" (PostmanPat for example).

Maybe someone knows an easier way to add members to your Ignore List.

If it is an old Truevisions/UBC card it is most likely blue in colour and the only softcams that will work with it are;

1. CAMX - works out of the box so to speak

2. SCAM - works out of the box so to speak

3. CCcam version 1.71 (with the config files shown in the pli-images.org forum where it was discussed in length some 4 years ago but still there)

000847_plugin_soft1.png

As you know these can be downloded in the box live and tested - see the PLi wiki we wrote on these pages;

1. Software downloads http://www.pli-images.org/modules/wiki/index.php?wakka=E1Software

and here http://www.pli-images.org/modules/wiki/index.php?wakka=E1SoftwareDownloadsSoftCam

2. Softcam setups - http://www.pli-images.org/modules/wiki/index.php?wakka=E1Softcam

There is also a newer softcam/server software that is the Open Pli repo called oscam which will also read the old cards, but for the DM500s it requires some manual configuring.

I would suggest your satellite guy is not telling you the whole story or does not know himself (most likely the later) as all their cards work well in many 3rd party set top boxes.

Having said that, True are changing their smart card encryption to NDS and their signals are now/already dual encrypted in both Irdeto and NDS. So all subscription cards will have to be replaced within the next 12 months or so and then it is most likely they will no longer work in 3rd party boxes as they do now.

Having said that, True are changing their smart card encryption to NDS and their signals are now/already dual encrypted in both Irdeto and NDS. So all subscription cards will have to be replaced within the next 12 months or so and then it is most likely they will no longer work in 3rd party boxes as they do now.

I expect the China re-engineering teams already have a fix in the 3rd party production lines.

I am one of those peeps who use Dreambox with genuine True Visions subscription. (I had to, I want PVR and HD in the same machine.. something that True Visions isn't providing)

Anyway, you will have to switch back to CCcam as it allows your genuine True Visions card to be read. You may have to config something on the CCcam file.

Thanks for the info guys. Just to re-state, the card is 100% genuine ... in fact, I have 4 original cards in 2 homes. I just like the idea of using a dreambox, so much more functionality than the standard UBC boxes (one of my boxes is over 10 years I old I think).

I just took the dreambox down to China town, there's a street there for mostly audio equipment ... however, there are a handful of dreambox, openbox etc. stalls there. The guy tried to get my box working on the spot with my card, but no joy. He's going to give it a try tonight using a serial connection to a PC. I'll get it back tomorrow and see if he sorted it out. The guy offered to give me a copied card or the usual over the Internet service ... you should have seen the laughter that erupted from everyone within earshot when I told him I didn't want to blatantly break the law. Response, "this is Thailand, its fine." rolleyes.gif

If it doesn't work tomorrow, will definitely give JSat's recommendations a go. It is the old blue card and I only tried to get it running with the latest versions of the cams, didn't try anything old.

I am planning to do some new purchase soon, does anyone knows what's the best top of the range machine/technology currently available on the local market?

I am currently tuned on 2 different satellites (AsiaSat5 & ThaiCom5) but i would like to expand the range of english speaking channels somehow, thanks :jap:

Well, finally got my dreambox back. They weren't able to get it to read the card.

Jsat, its now working with SCAM. Thank you!!!

However, its doing something strange. I left it alone for a few minutes and suddenly the channels opened. It takes anywhere from 2-6 seconds to get image when changing channel though. Also, under cardinfo it still says "no card inserted." Is this normal?

I'm also interested to share the card in this box within my home. Will this invisible card cause issues? What cardserver do you recommend?

When a new card is inserted, it can take some time, even a minute or two

before the signal comes through to give the card authentication to decrypt for you.

After that you should be able to hop from one channel to another without delay.

No cardserver is needed as you have a legal card.

Jsat, its now working with SCAM. Thank you!!!

Anytime .. But this as I said above in another post is only temporarily until they turn off the current Irdeto encryption and fully enable NDS.

And then, you think, it will be impossible to overcome?

I've got the True 2nd card ... however, if you want more ... it means an entire new installation with another satellite dish; cause True will not split more than 2 signals from the same dish. Rather expensive for a completely redundant piece of hardware. But understood, won't ask about the cardsharing side of things.

JSAT, do you think the fact that SCAM is not seeing my card (though its working) is an issue? It still takes 3-6 seconds before an image shows up after changing channel ... this hasn't gotten any better. I take it something isn't quite working properly here