Free Tablet Computers Could Well Be A Masterstroke; Thai Opinion

webfact

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An addendum:

IMHO, I would think it much better if money were spent so that each school district had a well-stocked library, with qualified librarians and sufficient, well-maintained computers and internet access. Teachers in the district could coordinate their classes, activities and homework assignments to ensure students make maximum and efficient use of the library facilities.

At some point in the not too distant future, I don't doubt that tablets can serve as useful textbook replacements and teaching aids. But in light of limited budgets, a dearth of trained teachers, and the technology not being quite there yet, a better use of resources would be well-funded and properly-staffed community libraries that are plugged into and work hand in hand with the district's schools.

T

Thakkar.. A very good website.. but all in English so not a huge help for the majority of Thai students.(i take it yours are in EP or International school) I do understand that Thailand does have or could have a similar website set up.

Dubbing or close captioning/sub titles would not be difficult to do as Google already provides the tools. There's no need to re-invent the wheel. Costs would be within affordable levels. The tools and expertise are not lacking.

Many individual problems have been solved by various school districts around the world at various times. Sadly education departments everywhere have blinders on and feel their problems (if they recognize them at all) are unique to them and require unique local solutions, starting with committees and endless meetings. The fact is that many problems are common to many schools everywhere and and there is always some schools or teachers somewhere that have successfully tackled some of these problems.

T

Thakkar.. A very good website.. but all in English so not a huge help for the majority of Thai students.(i take it yours are in EP or International school) I do understand that Thailand does have or could have a similar website set up.

Dubbing or close captioning/sub titles would not be difficult to do as Google already provides the tools. There's no need to re-invent the wheel. Costs would be within affordable levels. The tools and expertise are not lacking.

Many individual problems have been solved by various school districts around the world at various times. Sadly education departments everywhere have blinders on and feel their problems (if they recognize them at all) are unique to them and require unique local solutions, starting with committees and endless meetings. The fact is that many problems are common to many schools everywhere and and there is always some schools or teachers somewhere that have successfully tackled some of these problems.

T

1st i agree with much of what you say. But in relation to the underlined text... Where? Here in Thailand?

You are aware that even tests supplied by the Thai MOE have mistakes and ambiguities in them. But i guess that comes under the 2nd paragraph :D

The problem here in Thailand is there are not that many problem solvers so problems tend to be left to fester. I wish it was not so.

T

1st i agree with much of what you say. But in relation to the underlined text... Where? Here in Thailand?

You are aware that even tests supplied by the Thai MOE have mistakes and ambiguities in them. But i guess that comes under the 2nd paragraph :D

The problem here in Thailand is there are not that many problem solvers so problems tend to be left to fester. I wish it was not so.

Actually, there are well-qualified people working on various aspects of integrating technology into government services and solving Thai language-specific issues. They seem to be reasonably well-funded, but, of course, could do with more. Once such organization is: http://www.nectec.or.th/index.php. I've had email exchanges with one person working there addressing Thai language input/output related computing issues (though here again, companies like Apple and Microsoft had already addressed the issues, but I digress) and he struck me as highly competent, conscientious and serious about his work, and I believe he's representative of the project as a whole.

T

Master stroke it may be.. will certainly "help" the teachers .....my step kids are often given assignments where they are told by the teacher to use a computer to get answers to issues/questions that have never been discussed in the lessons...bit of a cop out methinks..then it sometimes seems marking is based on presentation not content?

What I have seen of the "English/Thai" textbooks they are,I suspect, beyond the comprehension of some teachers and often use phrases mixed in with simpler translations totally confusing for the poor kids ...phrases like "be that as it may", and "such and such"...often hard for me to put into simple English..

Might be a good idea to revamp some text book selections.

Maybe the money for tablets would be better spent on real books and comprehensive teacher training and improved salaries where warranted?

Horses to water? Bit concerned that tablets will "break" or get "lost or stolen" what then?

... Step kids had there eyeglasses stolen/lost within 2 months of getting them!!

David006, I introduced e-learning into my teaching of English some years ago. Large LCD screen run from my computer and used cartoon video clips.... and had students acting out the scenes. Computer Games shown on the LCD where one or several students would be using my com and the class giving directions on what to do. Video music tracks....Tata Young etc where Thais singing in English....u know how Thais and kids in particular love karaoke...I had wireless mikes so students could use... even had them dancing on the desk tops.....I didnt care (even had approval from the Director!!) because I was achieving what I was assigned to do....teach the students how to use English.

Well the English ability improved dramaticly in a very short space of time. My students were from a low socio/economic area and had no reason or motivation to learn English.... but within 2 years could have a very basic conversation in English. All down to providing what the kids wanted....playing games etc exactly as they all try and do out of school hours. Sure there was some "novelty" about my teaching style which helped but the E-Learning style is a huge advance over "conventional" teaching. Full marks to PTP for taking a giant step forward for Thai Education.

Sure there will be mistakes and corrections to make in content and teacher management etc....but those challenges can be overcome ok.

Goodonya mate, no worries I agree..of course making learning fun is something many of us wish we had had.!!.( eg. a Thai Sesame Street would probably be an option don't ya think?)....it's all about the teachers and style though isn't it.. e learning or book learning, you need teacher management to instill and assist with creativity to make it happen...which you obviously provided...

.. I am just concerned about the "throw over the wall" attitude that may well exist/develop.."well you've got a computer and you have the syllabus and you have the books thereon, do this and this ..get on with it..I have meeting"...

T

Actually, there are well-qualified people working on various aspects of integrating technology into government services and solving Thai language-specific issues. They seem to be reasonably well-funded, but, of course, could do with more. Once such organization is: http://www.nectec.or.th/index.php. I've had email exchanges with one person working there addressing Thai language input/output related computing issues (though here again, companies like Apple and Microsoft had already addressed the issues, but I digress) and he struck me as highly competent, conscientious and serious about his work, and I believe he's representative of the project as a whole.

T

T . Nectec is indeed an excellent institution. BUT it's not the MOE. Things can be done IF they all work together. Lets hope they do.

T . Nectec is indeed an excellent institution. BUT it's not the MOE. Things can be done IF they all work together. Lets hope they do.

I share your hopes.

Education is a sticky issue everywhere. There is no shortage of competent and dedicated people. There are plenty of incompetents and layabouts as well. There's organizational atrophy and gridlock, lack of coordination, political interference and corruption. Most of all, there is an almost suicidal unwillingness to learn from others who have already solved many of the problems many education departments deal with. In a global village there is rabid insistence on local solutions, even in areas where that need not be so.

Obviously the Education Ministry doesn't know math:

According to Education Minister Woravat Auapinyakul, each tablet computer will cost no more than Bt3,000 and its life span will range between three and four years. So far, the government has already allocated about Bt600 and Bt700 a year per student for free textbooks. These figures suggest that investing in tablet computers would be worthy.

3000 baht for 3 years is 1000 baht per year for the tablet, compared to 600 to 700b for the text books. That is an over 150% increase in textbook budget with little or no increased utility. This of course assumes that the tablets will actually last 3 years. These are NOT going to be some neat iPad2's for $100 a pc. Everybody knows what the Thai education system needs is improvements in basic things like teacher to student ratio, continuing education for teachers, etc. Technology is not a panacea and it is not magically going to fix the very sick Thai education system.

What any 1st year economics student can tell you is that minimum wage policies have no positive impact because it forces an artificially high cost on unskilled labor and going beyond that parity point will only reduce the quantity of jobs. If you want to improve the toils of the Thai rural underclass then you need to invest in something that improves PRODUCTIVITY if you want any real benefit (in case anybody actually cares). What the rural Thai education system needs is a good vocational program and agricultural extension services, so that farmers can have objective information on technologies that can improve their productivity as opposed to some agri-chem salesman saying, "use this poison (majik chemical or whatever) and you will get more cane/rice or whatever next crop."

You need to improve the VALUE of the labor if you want to get paid more for it. Education is the key for this.

I say go ahead and let them up the minimum wage, because pretty soon all those Thai jobs will be given to Burmese and Lao workers and the rural underclass will be pushed further down under the government of their artificial friends (PT).

When are people going to understand that most people are truly good and want to help the rural poor. Us middle class people who do not support PT or the reds are not "elitist" or anti-poor, but we are pro-truth.

Hopefully this government will fall on its face after accomplishing its sole goal of getting that Shinawatra family its money and power back and then the next election the Thai people can chose a government that really wants to improve the lot of the Thai people, not just a select few.

Of course it is a winner. just as when a country provides super fast free internet through whatever means throughout the country. The ones who oppose these programs are the rich with old money. They like to keep the status quo. They own the printing houses, they own the schools and they like to keep the poor dumb and poor.

Providing free education, free internet, free computers and health care is bad for their business. People who are free and not bound to stay because of healthcare programs and education programs on the workplace are no longer virtual slaves.

Even when a tablet cost 10,000 Baht it is significant cheaper than old fashioned not updated text books used by underpaid teachers.

so now there are going to be 3,000b broken tablets used by students and underpaid teachers....

jeeze what a crap, stupid post that was. Schools need text books and work books. e-books will NOT replace them. stop being so crass.

Well take a trip to Korean Schools and you wont find any text books....all replaced by netbooks etc. And the Korean education system is now rated as one of the best in the world.

But admitedly I suspect much higher qualified teachers and disiplined students.

Thailand desperatly needs an upgraded education system, at least this is a start. maybe it wont succeed, but if you dont try u definatly wont succeed. Knocking innovation only succeeds in slowing progress....maybe.

I can remember when calculators were first on the mass market....and not allowed to be used in schools..... now widely accepted. And cars had to have a walker in front with a red flag.....times change....get with it, educate yourself.

Of course it is a winner. just as when a country provides super fast free internet through whatever means throughout the country. The ones who oppose these programs are the rich with old money. They like to keep the status quo. They own the printing houses, they own the schools and they like to keep the poor dumb and poor.

Providing free education, free internet, free computers and health care is bad for their business. People who are free and not bound to stay because of healthcare programs and education programs on the workplace are no longer virtual slaves.

Even when a tablet cost 10,000 Baht it is significant cheaper than old fashioned not updated text books used by underpaid teachers.

so now there are going to be 3,000b broken tablets used by students and underpaid teachers....

jeeze what a crap, stupid post that was. Schools need text books and work books. e-books will NOT replace them. stop being so crass.

Well take a trip to Korean Schools and you wont find any text books....all replaced by netbooks etc. And the Korean education system is now rated as one of the best in the world.

But admitedly I suspect much higher qualified teachers and disiplined students.

Thailand desperatly needs an upgraded education system, at least this is a start. maybe it wont succeed, but if you dont try u definatly wont succeed. Knocking innovation only succeeds in slowing progress....maybe.

I can remember when calculators were first on the mass market....and not allowed to be used in schools..... now widely accepted. And cars had to have a walker in front with a red flag.....times change....get with it, educate yourself.

Visions. Comparing Korea to Thailand at this time is like comparing apples to oranges.

Korea has an integrated infrastructure, some of the fastest internet access in the WORLD. students and teachers who understand what learning means not just studying.

And i'm not entirely sure you are correct that every student has a government issued netbook/laptop.

http://tablet-news.n...to-hit-jackpot/

I'm not knocking 'innovation'.

I'm knocking a badly thought out and flawed scheme. And I'm somewhat saddened to see that you do not realise that.

An interesting website about netbooks...

http://www.iste.org/connect/iste-connects/blog-detail/09-03-02/Netbook_classroom_experiences_and_related_resource_articles.aspx

Edited by thaicbr

While Korea is certainly a very wired society, it is still a very a Confucian based and patron/client ordered society. Although there is much to admire about their achievements over the last 40 years, particularly where they have come from being well below Thailand on the Asian food-chain, to being way ahead in terms of economic development, their approach to education is still result (meaning exams) oriented. It is focused on getting a job at Samsung, Hyundai, LG etc., based entirely on those exam results. It is not based on giving a child an education, to help them through life. Don't get fooled by the bright lights.

This scheme won't work with a device that has only 4 hours of useful battery life. By noontime, all the students batteries will be exhausted, and they will all have to plug them in, in the classroom, to charge. There are not enough electrical outlets in the rooms to do this. There is probably not enough juice available at the school for all the students to plug the units in, at the same time, without tripping the breaker. This is a political stunt meant to direct funds through the bank accounts of some campaign donors. Watch and see.

You are wasting your breath (or words) half your negative comment is based on the children taking them home........and you can't work out the solution.....

Leave them in the classroom......might also encourage children to attend more readily.

Whatever... like kids always do what they are told and of course the teachers are going to enforce that on a daily basis with 35+ kids in a classroom,

So you think keeping them in the classroom means they will suddenly last three years minimum? You are either drunk or have never used a 3,000 baht tablet.

Come back when you have some clue as to what is being talked about as right now your comments are so ill informed they are no longer worthy of responding to.

You are wasting your breath (or words) half your negative comment is based on the children taking them home........and you can't work out the solution.....

Leave them in the classroom......might also encourage children to attend more readily.

Whatever... like kids always do what they are told and of course the teachers are going to enforce that on a daily basis with 35+ kids in a classroom,

So you think keeping them in the classroom means they will suddenly last three years minimum? You are either drunk or have never used a 3,000 baht tablet.

Come back when you have some clue as to what is being talked about as right now your comments are so ill informed they are no longer worthy of responding to.

I provide a solution for your imagined reasons for not supplying the tablet, and your next response is that teachers do not have sufficient control to have the tablets remain in the class room...:blink: followed by a couple of attempted insults to fill out another burst of wasted hot air......I'm gutted you will not be responding to my posts

I provide a solution for your imagined reasons for not supplying the tablet, and your next response is that teachers do not have sufficient control to have the tablets remain in the class room...:blink: followed by a couple of attempted insults to fill out another burst of wasted hot air......I'm gutted you will not be responding to my posts

I'm sorry where did you explain how a cheaply made 3000 baht tablet was going to last three years minimum? I must have missed that?

I pity any children that come into contact with your closed small mind. If you really wanted to improve the education system in Thailand you would ACCEPT that this is NOT the way to do it, but you are so entrenched in your persona in this forum that you are incapable of having a discussion which includes critical thinking and rational reasoning.

So have at it, you will be proved wrong on this issue there are many things that can be done that would incorporate technology but this is NOT the answer.

I am sure in your flip flop or twisting once this silly plan fails you will be as per usual making little to no sense.... can't wait to see your next attempting to revise someone else's posts.

Show me the data? I have my children using a laptop, there is educational benefit, learning is fun, they enjoy using the computer

Step forward parents whose children currently use a computer who think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages and learning enhancement

So your children are 6-7 years old and take a laptop to school for use in nearly every lesson?

really?

The kids already have computer lessons.

Let us see now, if the tablets were initially retained in the classroom, a possibility, that would negate your comment.........later the children may be allowed to take them home but I would suggest that using a tablet for long periods of time would be hard on the eyes, so at first limited in house use. And before you all start crying about homework, I don't really think children at 6-7 should need to do homework if teaching standards are good.

Current computer teaching where computers are static and not available in each classroom carries obvious limitations. My own thought is that tablets will be enablers, they cannot reform the Thai teaching system, they can bring a new beneficial dimension.

Oh by the way my youngest is 4 and I am quite proud of the care he takes of the laptop, I also take great pleasure in the joy he takes from using the machine......memory games, counting games, he loves them all.

You are making assumptions (as we all are) about how these tablets will be used. YOU do not think homework for 6 year olds is a good thing. I agree. But it does not stop some teachers giving homework.

I can see you are proud of your kids and nurture them, I'm guessing that YOU found and installed the games and YOU showed your little ones how to use the games because lets face it YOU are computer literate.

BUT there are a lot of parents out there that are not computer literate or simply don't care (it's the schools job to teach their kids)

In the future i like the idea of more computer hands on work. BUT now is not the right time and we can consider that Phua Thai will NOT implement it correctly.

most government schools are short of resources, most schools still use chalk and black boards, most classrooms only have 1 or 2 plug sockets so that will be 40 odd tablets plugged into what? (do you want YOUR kid to be plugging the tablet into sockets here :( )

They should use the money to bring the classrooms up to date with the necessary teaching aids for teachers as well as implementing decent e-learning software etc.

Good points. Most of the Thai parents are probably not computer literate. The ones that are how many of them take a hand in educating their children. Not every child has a Farong parent and not every Farong parent is willing to help their children. Most leave it to the teachers. As you have stated the class rooms are inadequate.

People do not understand what this is all about. They tend to think the computer is the answer. It is not it is just another tool in the teachers arsenal. First things first bring the teachers up to speed for teaching children. Give them the proper facilities to do it in. Then give them the tools.

A computer will not help when the teacher is inadequate no place to charge it and it is only a 3,000 Baht computer to begin with. Munch less the fact that they probably can not hook up to the internet. And if they can hook up to it will they have a server big enough to give decent service to that many computers. Can see it all now.

Teacher We are going to need the computer tomorrow Can every one come in a half hour early to boot theirs up?

I am not saying they are a bad idea. But they are a impractical idea in the circumstances they are being put into.

I'm sorry where did you explain how a cheaply made 3000 baht tablet was going to last three years minimum? I must have missed that?

I pity any children that come into contact with your closed small mind. If you really wanted to improve the education system in Thailand you would ACCEPT that this is NOT the way to do it, but you are so entrenched in your persona in this forum that you are incapable of having a discussion which includes critical thinking and rational reasoning.

So have at it, you will be proved wrong on this issue there are many things that can be done that would incorporate technology but this is NOT the answer.

I am sure in your flip flop or twisting once this silly plan fails you will be as per usual making little to no sense.... can't wait to see your next attempting to revise someone else's posts.

You missed the posts where I suggested that the education management use this as an opportunity, to convince the government to deliver something more robust and beneficial, to accept that technology has a place in education, and not to dismiss the concept out of hand as this will deliver no value.....

But you carry on shouting it won't work, and throwing in reasons for failure, and guess what, maybe it won't even get out of the starting blocks, then you can call out the government for not implementing a promise, that in your opinion would not work anyway.......if that is what would make you happy.

My opinion throughout this thread has not changed, because I believe technology has advantages as an enabler, I have seen my children benefit from computer learning, and I think if there is a possible chance that other children can benefit too, this should be given serious consideration, not cast aside because it is a populist policy and people do not like the government who may deliver it......and just one more thought for you, technology advances so quickly by the time the project is approved for implementation there may well be an affordable tablet that can fulfil the requirement........

More than a few polls and user surveys have come back saying the devices using e-ink like Amazon Kindles are much easier on the eyes of serious readers than LED screens and any other type of screen with glare.

Amazon has a publishing facility to create ebooks and there are free programs lIke Calibre to move things from format to format or create your own books.

It's not very hard at all.

All our "Peter & Jane" books are now ebooks and digital. No more worries about bugs eating them or water destroying them. We put two years of Garfield comics on the Kindle and our daughter was staying up late at night with her Kindle night light learning English so she could understand the dialogs.

If reading was truly the goal of this program and not some crony getting the contract to supply to the government, they would be promoting ebook readers which don't play games well but already have wireless, are fairly cheap, can run all day and longer on a single battery charge and are black and white so not designed for watching movies or photos.

They are truly designed for reading. But instead there is talk about tablets.

Tables are for people who hate computers and are not meant to accomplish anything other than entertain.

And using ebook readers is not a new thing. Some US schools are already doing it.

Google even came up with the ePub format for ebooks to get around proprietary limits of other formats such as book format sold by Amazon.

This idea could be implemented cheap, fast and effectively if the goal was just to help kids read better and put all books into digital format.

<br>My opinion throughout this thread has not changed, because I believe technology has advantages as an enabler, I have seen my children benefit from computer learning, and I think if there is a possible chance that other children can benefit too, this should be given serious consideration, not cast aside because it is a populist policy and people do not like the government who may deliver it......and just one more thought for you, technology advances so quickly by the time the project is approved for implementation there may well be an affordable tablet that can fulfil the requirement........

As stated and agreed to many times of course technology has advantages, but NOT this technology it has not been thought through and as such it will never work. There is NO possible chance this plan as laid out currently will work. You seem to want to just keep ignoring the facts. I don't care about who is offering to deliver it, as I've said to you repeatedly take off your RED glasses. I have said twice now in this thread alone I don't care if its a DEM or PTP policy it's misguided wrong and will not work. That is not negative that is reality. You are so quick to assume anyone that has the nerve to point out the flaw in this or any other policy is against the gov't I don't what gov't is currently gorging at the trough. I care about whether a policy makes fiscal and logical sense. This one fails on every possible level. But you are so in love with anything RED and it appears with anything technology based you choose to ignore what is actually being said and being offered.

Your "children" do NOT have a 3,000 baht tablet they are not left to learn on their own they are not in an infrastructure that doesn't support the technology they have in their hands. If you stopped for one minute and looked at all the ways this plan won't work you would see it clearly as well, but your comments on just about every subject are reactive and in most cases you lash out against anyone that doesn't toe the PTP line.

You might think I am just some moron that is in Thailand for cheap pussy and beer, but I assure you I am not. I am as a matter of fact leaving Thailand very shortly now that my stint here is up and not a moment too soon for me, if YOU are an example of the type of people that have chosen to settle here. By that I mean people that have chosen to take sides on issues only on the basis of the color of the shirt the other side is wearing or thinking that you are somehow saving the poor Thai people.

In my own country a number of years ago I was one of four people that implemented putting learning computers into Daycare centers. The children in the centers ranged from 2 to 12 years old. There were 55 City run centers we had to wire, connect and finally provide the end user solution. The computers did not have Net access as it was deemed not acceptable from the powers that be. We ended up running Sun servers in our main IT facility (6 of them actually) and all the centers were on a WAN that gave each center a dedicated fiber connection to our backbone. The software was all chosen and approved by city council and it was decided that we would put ONE workstation in for each 4 children in the center full time (some kids came only half days etc) All the software ran locally on the machines and their connections to our servers allowed us to have user profiles for each center so we could image the machines across the wire if needed due to user errors. It also allowed us to update all the software remotely. We looked at everything, (there were no tablet options at the time) desktops, thin clients, notebooks etc.. if it was available we gave it a chance. For ease of replacement both in part availability and overall cost we went with slim line desktop computers and LCD monitors, we spent a little extra on sturdy keyboards and industrial track balls instead of a mouse. Very rough numbers, the servers cost us about half a mil, the end user boxes of which there were about 200ish, ran another 600k, we hired four full time support members to look after the project, they manned a helpdesk via phone and also made site calls for any hardware issues that could not be solved over the phone, total cost of those four guys was about 300k yearly (75k each) we also had lease payments to piggy back our lines on the city's main fiber backbone and installation costs up front to wire them. At the end of the first year the project was approved full time and we hired two more full time staff members as there was no way we could keep up with only the four of us. We had a combined hardware and software budget of 200k a year. This project actually turned out well and I know it is still in operation today so you are preaching to the choir about how helpful technology can be for educational purposes, BUT what you fail to accept is that NOT ALL technology is created equal nor it technology one size fit all. The project I am discussing had an up front line item budget cost of roughly 1.5 million and ongoing costs of about 700k a year. This was for 55 centers serving about 800 kids across a major North American city. Meaning we were spending (roughly) 875 USD a year on this project per child, or in terms you will relate to 26,171 BAHT yet you want me to believe that the Thai gov't is going to provide the same general experience to hundreds of thousands (millions?) of kids for a cost of 3,000 baht?

I haven't heard a word about infrastructure, support, hardware or software, replacement budgets, and the list goes on and on...this plan will NOT work call me negative if you wish but you and I both know what I am saying is true AGAIN just in case you missed it I don't care if the DEMs or PTP are offering it, it's poorly thought out (if at all) and under funded and does a disservice to the kids that actually need improvement in their classroom experience. Technology is great, when used properly and when funded properly... this is neither and looks like like another typical Thai way to pad the pockets of those in charge of the deal. Yes if it was the DEMS the BKK elite would have benefited and now it will be the Chiang Mai elite that benefit, but oddly enough nowhere in this scenario do I see the education system in Thailand gaining anything.. and isn't that what we ALL want?

Edited by YellowFeverCAD

Your hard wiring, and line rental/installation costs probably swallowed a large part of your budget, throw in the wages for your support facility given there was no internet link giving on line support......your set up and running costs would appear to bear no relation to the tablet project

However I take you point, supprt is crucial, but where is the disclaimer from the Thai government stating once the tablets are released you are on your own.....I must have missed that.....

Your hard wiring, and line rental/installation costs probably swallowed a large part of your budget, throw in the wages for your support facility given there was no internet link giving on line support......your set up and running costs would appear to bear no relation to the tablet project

However I take you point, supprt is crucial, but where is the disclaimer from the Thai government stating once the tablets are released you are on your own.....I must have missed that.....

The proof is in the pudding - the mentioned numbers as to how this project could work from PTP directions has only covered the absolute minimum - the assumed dumped purchase price. You think they will remember to allocate the same size to cover support and replacements too?

The proof is in the pudding - the mentioned numbers as to how this project could work from PTP directions has only covered the absolute minimum - the assumed dumped purchase price. You think they will remember to allocate the same size to cover support and replacements too?

The proof is not in the pudding. It is in the eating of the pudding.

PHRASE FINDER:

'The proof of the pudding' is just shorthand for 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating'. That longer version makes sense at least, whereas the shortened version really doesn't mean anything - nor does the often-quoted incorrect variation 'the proof is in the pudding'. The continued use of that meaningless version is no doubt bolstered by the fact that the correct version isn't at all easy to understand.

R

A $100 educational tablet isn't beyond the realm of possibility*, particularly if this policy takes a year or two to get started and they can take advantage of commercially obsolete but otherwise functional hardware. The tablet is actually the easy bit. It's the support that will drive them crazy and blow their budget into tiny little pieces.

* Assuming the scheme doesn't get hopelessly mired in corruption.

Of course TAWP the 'proof is in the pudding'.......but if the worst case scenario is always placed to the fore without any concrete evidence......no project would ever get off the ground...........and believe me I have lost count of the warnings issued by IT scriptwriters that if I do not provide the correct spec the process will fail......it is in their nature a built in safety net..... I have been fortunate to work with quality people who are capable of assisting in the provision of solutions and do not get hung up on the 'what if'....just as an aside here, through my carreer, I have often delivered, before other project people have evaluated, or made a case, and presented costs to gain approval for expenditure.......I guess you could call that a positive can do approach......but off course technically breaks all the rules.

Perhaps that will go some way in explaining why I look to deliver a solution, and yes perhaps disregard the nay sayers a little.......life on the edge.....:)

This scheme won't work with a device that has only 4 hours of useful battery life. By noontime, all the students batteries will be exhausted, and they will all have to plug them in, in the classroom, to charge. There are not enough electrical outlets in the rooms to do this. There is probably not enough juice available at the school for all the students to plug the units in, at the same time, without tripping the breaker. This is a political stunt meant to direct funds through the bank accounts of some campaign donors. Watch and see.

Plus you can bet your pants that multiple home made distribution boards and double adapters will all suddenly be used, wires everywhere causing accidents when kids trip over the wires or run into them suspended from wall socket to desk, all adding to danger.

Edited by scorecard