Heads Up On 3G In Thailand

Hi

Ill be in Thailand for a month. Ill be in Bangkok and Pattaya mainly. Which 3g provider should i go with? Im assuming i can tether my 3g phone to laptiop to make use of the data? Or for PC (mac) usage do i need to go on some kind of seperate data only plan for reasonablly priced data use (as you do in australia).

I am buying a HTC wildfire can i just tether it to my computer and get an unlimited data deal. Before i used dtac edge for 999/month was reasonable.

Which provider?

Thanks

There is no unlimited data deal in Pattaya. Just 3GB which then reverts to EDGE type speed. Notwithstanding, it is not open to you anyway. The HTC Wildfire has the HSDPA 900 / 2100 specification.

That gives you the option of AIS or TOTand it's MVNOs for 3G in Bangkok, but only EDGE as before in Pattaya.

To use TRUE 3G in Pattaya, you would need the specification HSDPA 850MHz. For that you need the HTC Wildfire S, but check the specification in your intended purchase location as they are not all the same.

With the right specification, you can conceivably use TRUE 3G for both Bangkok and Pattaya. Check their coverage map for more info.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

There is no unlimited data deal in Pattaya. Just 3GB which then reverts to EDGE type speed. Notwithstanding, it is not open to you anyway. The HTC Wildfire has the HSDPA 900 / 2100 specification.

That gives you the option of AIS or TOTand it's MVNOs for 3G in Bangkok, but only EDGE as before in Pattaya.

To use TRUE 3G in Pattaya, you would need the specification HSDPA 850MHz.

Huh what? I understood TOT works on 2100. Why not open to me? Whats MVNO mean?

Incredibly complicated for end user.

OK

Im coming to Thailand for a month. I need a cheap smartphone to pick up internet. What should i do?

HELP!

(ps. thanks but still horribly confused)

Basically was considering wildfire or galaxy ace. But i could opt for another.

To use TRUE 3G in Pattaya, you would need the specification HSDPA 850MHz. For that you need the HTC Wildfire S.

With that you can conceivably use TRUE 3G for both Bangkok and Pattaya. Check their coverage map for more info.

According to specs the wildfire s is HSDPA 2100 / 900 no mention of hsdpa 850

Ive already got 4 USB modem dongle things. All locked to different networks!!!!!

Im sick of it, want one phone for everything.

Why not just purchase an aircard/modem instead of messing around with Smartphones?

DWM-156 - 3.75G HSUPA USB Adapter

Drivers here

Expect to pay around 1500 baht.

Neither of your choices will do that, unless one has UMTS 850MHz.

If you have a suitable modem, why not just unlock it?

What are the full model numbers of each modem?

Huh what? I understood TOT works on 2100. Why not open to me? Whats MVNO mean?

Reports of TOT using 2100Mhz 3G are extremely old. The 2100Mhz frequency has not been allocated yet. You can thank Thai politics for that. AFAIK, TOT and their MVNO use 1900Mhz :whistling:

A mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) is a company that provides mobile phone services but does not have its own licensed frequency allocation of radio.

Google is your friend. ;)

Edited by BB1950

Hate to sound like a broken record, but iPhone4 has wireless and wired tethering. I use it with TRUE MOVE for their 399/month 500MB package. Their 3GB package is 799 thb. Not unlimited, but at their speeds, would be surprised if you could transfer 3GB in a month. ha ha

I am paying 599 on True with the iPhone plan (which is open to all iPhones even if you didn't buy it from True) It's unlimited with a 3GB fair use limit.

That said it's been crap for 2 or 3 weeks now. Before that it was pretty fast in Chiang Mai. Deja Vu! I am tempted to switch to AIS 3G which seems to be blazingly fast right now, at least here in CM.

The iPhone 4 does all 3G frequencies currently in use in Thailand. Complicated how? ;)

Reports of TOT using 2100Mhz 3G are extremely old. The 2100Mhz frequency has not been allocated yet. You can thank Thai politics for that. AFAIK, TOT and their MVNO use 1900Mhz :whistling:

I am almost certain the TOT's 3G infrastructure in metro-Bangkok operates on Band 1, IMT-2000, commonly referred to as the "2100 Mhz" band (1920 - 1980 Mhz for upstream and 2110 - 2170 Mhz for downstream).

Here is a screenshot using an iMobile 3GX 3G SIM, a MVNO for TOT.

TOT is planning on a nationwide deployment of 3G; they've mentioned 1900 Mhz so maybe Band II? 1850 - 1910 updstream and 1930 - 1990 Mhz downstream; AT&T uses this in some areas in the U.S.

post-9615-0-22898500-1313740650_thumb.jp

I am almost certain the TOT's 3G infrastructure in metro-Bangkok operates on Band 1, IMT-2000, commonly referred to as the "2100 Mhz" band (1920 - 1980 Mhz for upstream and 2110 - 2170 Mhz for downstream).

Here is a screenshot using an iMobile 3GX 3G SIM, a MVNO for TOT.

TOT is planning on a nationwide deployment of 3G; they've mentioned 1900 Mhz so maybe Band II? 1850 - 1910 updstream and 1930 - 1990 Mhz downstream; AT&T uses this in some areas in the U.S.

Very interesting know. It makes the 3G situation in Thailand even more murkier. Thanks! :jap: