Hungry Ghost Festival - Starts August 14

Atmos

The fireworks started at 6am this morning . . . living in an area of Chanthaburi with a significant Chinese population we'd seen posters/billboards for local shrines, now we know what's going on . . .

briefly:

Chinese Ghost Festival - Aug 14 2011

On Sart Chin Day, the three realms of Heaven, Hell and the Earth open up for a whole month so that spirits can roam the earth in search of food and entertainment. People organize food offering ceremonies at home to make merit, and also distribute food and other necessities for those in need.

more info here

The Hungry Ghost Festival is an Asian festival which takes place all over China on the Fifteenth day of the seventh Lunar month.In 2011 this festival occurs 14th August.

This Asian festival brings out the superstition in Chinese traditionalists.

It is believed that this is a Ghost Month where the gates of Hell are open for 2-way traffic and certain activities are high risk for being dragged into the Underworld.

Such activities include shouting, screaming and whistling. Also stay away from water where it is believed souls of the damned dwell just waiting for you to come near so they can pull you under.

Halfway through Ghost Month the Chinese have a massive party to keep the spirits happy with floating lanterns filled with Lotus flowers and candles are placed in lanterns (on water !!!) and also in the air.

Lavish banquets are held and people leave money and images of their Gods in graveyards.

The money is then burnt at night in the hope of catching out the money-hungry demons.

Oh and if you see an empty chair- leave it be......it’s reserved.

History: This Chinese Festival has it’s roots in Chinese Taoism & also occurs as the Ullambana Festival of Buddhism.

source

and more here

04a96101f2983011_2.jpg6c8f69f6b051a63c_1.jpg385b522b427dc3bc_7.JPG

Correction, the chinese ghost month starts on july 28 and will end on august 28 for the year 2011. Today is the 15th which is the mid month and full moon. Prayers are done today cos it's the mid month but in reality, it can be done everyday for the whole month. Some people will pray on the opening, mid and closing.

^ thanks

Everyone in our street has been delivered a bag of food - bread/cakes, fresh fruit, home-made sweets cooked in banana leaves.

Through town earlier and many shops that would normally open Sunday are closed, others have small shrines built out on the footpath, incense and flowers

and as post #2 pointed out - plenty of red being worn, went to collect my Sunday paper and bookshop staff in classical-style Chinese shirts/blouses..

We watched a fireworks display last night, unsure now if it was due to Q's Birthday weekend or this Chinese celebration.

Edited by Atmos

Correction, the chinese ghost month starts on july 28 and will end on august 28 for the year 2011. Today is the 15th which is the mid month and full moon. Prayers are done today cos it's the mid month but in reality, it can be done everyday for the whole month. Some people will pray on the opening, mid and closing.

I think you will find that today is the 14th! rolleyes.gif

Its the 15th day of the 7th lunar month however. Perhaps thats what mirth meant.

Anyway, I lived in Taiwan for Hungry Ghost Month and it was interesting to see not only all the food on offer on the table but all the little paper stuff being burned, in those days it was cars and motorcycles, I imagine now its Ipads and mobile phones. Never knew what the ancestors would do with that stuff tho!

Its the 15th day of the 7th lunar month however. Perhaps thats what mirth meant.

Anyway, I lived in Taiwan for Hungry Ghost Month and it was interesting to see not only all the food on offer on the table but all the little paper stuff being burned, in those days it was cars and motorcycles, I imagine now its Ipads and mobile phones. Never knew what the ancestors would do with that stuff tho!

Ha, yes! (Brain into gear before ----------!!!!)ermm.gif