Homepro Village, Chalong

F1fanatic

Over the last few days HomePro Village (I think of it as Villa Market) has started trying to force motorbikes to park in a designated area a long way away from the shops in the 'Village'.

At first they just stopped motorbikes parking in the shaded area where they had always parked. This 'row' was often full so motorbikes also parked in the next 'row'.

Now, they have put up signs saying motorbikes cannot park in this area either - they are both reserved for cars, even though cars have always parked in other (shaded) areas that are just as close to the shops....

To be fair, they have allowed motorbike parking nearby for a maximum of 15 minutes! How pointless, anybody looking to spend some money in the shopping centre is going to be there for more than 15 minutes.

The car parking areas near the shops are never (in my experience) full, so why have they decided to seriously annoy those on motorbikes??

Personally, I have decided to ignore the signs - park my motorbike near the shops and if they come up with a way to enforce this ludicrous ban, will stop shopping there.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm seriously annoyed by this as I can see no justification for the new 'rules'.

You can park four or five motorbikes in a car space. That represents at least 5 customers and the car space might represent only one. Yet most malls have very limited and sometimes very inconvenient parking for motorbikes. But I guess the thought process is that the people who bring cars have more money to spend.

How far is 'a long way'?

It cant be that far if still within the bounds of the carpark.

Have you considered asking management on the reason for change of parking policy?

They may not read this forum on a regular basis.

The car park staff will simply be following instructions.

How far is 'a long way'?

It cant be that far if still within the bounds of the carpark.

Have you considered asking management on the reason for change of parking policy?

They may not read this forum on a regular basis.

The car park staff will simply be following instructions.

The boyfriend of a friend of my girlfriend is at the moment the guy having to enforce the new rules. I'll have her ask him why the change. I agree it seems unnecessary.

The problem is that motor bikes do as they please. Big C by pass lotus, Macro all have well orgainized systems. the curb was loaded with motorbikes so you couldn;t drive etc. The covered is still, as of this morning, or south side for motorbikes and covered to the north where the taxis park. Both Billa and HomePro had vip parking but that is gone.. Good Idea even though I had both cards... If you would like to see why control is needed have a look at the Rawai Lotus car park. The security think they are there to carry groceries for a tip. I was a guy pushing a ladies card while a side car cut him off to part in the front row reserved for cars. People try to park on the walk way etc. Wine Connection actuall tried to cut the two handicapped stalls at the from of their store for staff motorbike parking! If you want MHome Pro villa to look like that up to you!

Seriously any walk from within the car park area can't be more than 50 metres. I thought there were two areas for motorbikes, one to the left of the entrance, then the area in the back behind villa. It's nice to be in an area that isn't chaos for all and sundry to do as they please when it comes to parking.

Good news for motorcyclists!

I took your advice Atmos and spoke to a manager at HomePro Customer Services. He told me that the area for motorcycles next to Villa Market (where parking is currently restricted to a maximum of 15 minutes), is to be enlarged and the time period increased. I didn't think to ask why any time period was being applied - but never mind as it will never be enforced anyway.

Steelepulse - you are missing the point. Cars already have plenty of 'next to shops' parking and there are always plenty of spaces available, so why make life more difficult for motorcyclists just for the sake of it?? And, I have never known the area to be "chaos" - so this cannot be used as justification for this unnecessary change.

The security guard that is the gf's friends boyfriend said the new parking plan came about due to a number of motorbike thefts and thefts from motorbikes. By making motorbikes part where they are supposed to, security can keep a better eye on them. The 15 minutes was to ensure all-day parkers and staff didn't take up the remaining close motorbike spaces. Good they are lengthening the time. 30 minutes should be enough but if they aren't really enforcing it that's fine too. That should still prevent staff parking there. As steelpulse said, all the parking is pretty close anyway.

The security guard that is the gf's friends boyfriend said the new parking plan came about due to a number of motorbike thefts and thefts from motorbikes. By making motorbikes part where they are supposed to, security can keep a better eye on them. The 15 minutes was to ensure all-day parkers and staff didn't take up the remaining close motorbike spaces. Good they are lengthening the time. 30 minutes should be enough but if they aren't really enforcing it that's fine too. That should still prevent staff parking there. As steelpulse said, all the parking is pretty close anyway.

The excuse for changing motorbike parking sounds feeble to me.

Bearing in mind all (or as I gave up looking for the designated motorbike parking spot - presumably nearly all) the motorbikes parked in the 'old spot', why not just get security to keep any eye on them there?

30 minutes is not enough. I generally visit both HomePro and Villa Market (and sometimes Boots) for purchases and normally spend around 30 minutes to an hour (sometimes longer) - depending on what I'm looking to buy.

Why shouldn't staff park nearby?? Or were the management just upset that their staff found it too easy to park nearby - INCONVENIENCING NOBODY!

Sorry to shout, but I just don't get thinking behind the new rules.

Edit - I was overjoyed to notice this morning that they have painted in car parking spaces for 3 cars where 20 odd motorbikes used to park, and..... had put up barriers to ensure motorbikes couldn't get there. But then again, neither could cars.... It was this that made me decide Atmos was right - it was time to talk to a manager.

Edited by F1fanatic

30 minutes . ..

Nowhere near long enough; you'd never get through a meal at MCK in that time. And for a family at KFC they'd struggle too.

Didn't go often but when we did it was a combination of supermarket, bookshop browse, coffee and icecream at WaWee Coffee while reading the newspaper. Then there's the sports store and sometimes HomePro hardware too.

What can they do? Wheel-clamp? Tow-away? FIne 5 baht? Or a nail in the front tyre?

Why shouldn't staff park nearby??

It's very common for employees to have a designated parking space farther away than where the customers park. Reason seems obvious. At least it's common here and in the states.

They changed the parking system for a few days up here in CM at Big C as well and we got the same story. Apparently when the theft gangs come in, a pretty sizable number of bikes get stolen.

They changed the parking system for a few days up here in CM at Big C as well and we got the same story. Apparently when the theft gangs come in, a pretty sizable number of bikes get stolen.

In which case they need to employ security staff to ensure bikes (and cars) aren't stolen!

Chalong HomePro obviously have staff, they're just employed in the wrong jobs. e.g. The poor guy 'guarding' the old motorbike parking area to ensure they do not park there. Far better that he be employed ensuring bikes aren't stolen.

Edit - Thank you Kernow86 for pointing out the obvious re Hagler :lol:.

Edited by F1fanatic

Look at the main Tesco Lotus store on the by-pass road and you can see how completely out of hand it can get.

There are certainly not enough car park spaces there and nowadays the motorbikes just park wherever they choose, usually in the car slots, or near the store entrances so cars are left with nowhere to park and then they too decide to park anywhere and the whole place becomes grid-locked. There are separate areas designated for motorbikes and also for cars - but its not enforced, much to the annoyance of those of us in a car trying to find an empty space and not wanting to move 5 motorbikes out of a space (to where?).

I simply avoid Tesco Lotus, central festival and homeworks at weekends.

Home-Pro Village seem to be wanting to enforce the rules rigidly now - but perhaps are creating a problem where there previously wasn't one? (unlike Tesco)

Look at the main Tesco Lotus store on the by-pass road and you can see how completely out of hand it can get.

There are certainly not enough car park spaces there and nowadays the motorbikes just park wherever they choose, usually in the car slots, or near the store entrances so cars are left with nowhere to park and then they too decide to park anywhere and the whole place becomes grid-locked. There are separate areas designated for motorbikes and also for cars - but its not enforced, much to the annoyance of those of us in a car trying to find an empty space and not wanting to move 5 motorbikes out of a space (to where?).

I simply avoid Tesco Lotus, central festival and homeworks at weekends.

Home-Pro Village seem to be wanting to enforce the rules rigidly now - but perhaps are creating a problem where there previously wasn't one? (unlike Tesco)

I disagree, I have never had a problem parking a car at Bypass Tesco Lotus. Loads of empty spaces (even on weekends) near the staff entrance to Tesco (2 minutes walk to entrance). If you want a covered car parking spot then they are more tricky to find. I agree Central Festival is a nightmare on a weekend though.

So many people automatically assume if something doesn't benefit them, then it must be wrong. Often there will be a good reason behind things.

OP, do you not think if you could take minor issues like this in your stride a bit more, you would be better equipped to deal with the slightly bigger issues. I know you are one of the posters on here that likes Phuket, but has a lot of issues with it.

I'm not just digging you out for the sake of it, but seriously, things like this should be just brushed aside, without a second thought.

Udox - precisely, they are creating a problem where previously there wasn't one!

BTB - That was partly the point of my thread, I could see no reason why they had changed the 'rules' as there seemed no point - other than to annoy motorcyclists.....

I'm sensible enough to know that I can do nothing about the bigger issues here, whereas an annoyance like this CAN be changed - and, I'm assured, will be changed after (presumably I'm not alone) we made our displeasure known....

The whole point of TV is for expats to talk about anything and everything - so why are you concerned that I posted a topic on a minor inconvenience?

The whole point of TV is for expats to talk about anything and everything - so why are you concerned that I posted a topic on a minor inconvenience?

Because BTB, as far as I can tell, only posts about the people making the comments and not the issues, and he is hyper-sensitive to any criticism of Phuket or of Thai's.

Why would you think I was concerned? You commented on somethiong you thought was a problem and I commented that I don't think you should let it worry you. Why not just park somewhere else, and walk a bit further.

Other people always say the same thing as me on threads, but It's only me that gets commented on, why is that?

Do you really think some people sat in a room and said 'what can we do to deliberately piss off scooter riders' because that's what you said.

Yes forums are to talk about what ever you want, but no one ever wants to talk about anything good. Probably because they know full well all the cantankerous old farts would get their knickers in a twist, and start moaning. :(

Because BTB, as far as I can tell, only posts about the people making the comments and not the issues, and he is hyper-sensitive to any criticism of Phuket or of Thai's.

I did talk about the issue. I said it wasn't an issue, and it's negative, misserable, unhappy people, who want to share their pain with the rest of the world that I'm hyper sensitive to. B)

(not reffering to the OP with that comment, just people in general)

Why would you think I was concerned? You commented on somethiong you thought was a problem and I commented that I don't think you should let it worry you. Why not just park somewhere else, and walk a bit further.

Other people always say the same thing as me on threads, but It's only me that gets commented on, why is that?

Do you really think some people sat in a room and said 'what can we do to deliberately piss off scooter riders' because that's what you said.

Yes forums are to talk about what ever you want, but no one ever wants to talk about anything good. Probably because they know full well all the cantankerous old farts would get their knickers in a twist, and start moaning. :(

Had to laugh at your comment "Do you really think some people sat in a room and said 'what can we do to deliberately piss off scooter riders'" :lol:.

Obviously I don't think that at all - I don't think there was any thought about it at all other than the v shallow 'those who have motorbikes don't have as much money as those that have cars. But the motorbikes are parking close to the shops - we must discourage this to encourage car owners' :rolleyes:. I base this on the way nobody yet has come up with a reasonable explanation for the new rules.

It does seem that way :(.