31 Years Old With Passive Income Who Wish To Live In Thailand.

I am retired and have a monthly income of more than the required 65,000 thai baht per month my wife is also a farang hence the 65k required We own our own property and have no debts after 6 years of living in Thailand we have never had the need to spend our 65,000 each month indeed the most spent on general living has been 40,000 that includes electric for house and pool gardener 1 time per week , normal shopping trips etc. If we go to Singa's or Penang for a holiday then that is seperate my mate down the road is married to a Thai he has the same funds and he is always skint I will let you work that one out yes I dont smoke ,drink or go to the lady baars but my farang wife still manages to buy her gin and vodka each month I do know that if I was back in my own country I would have to work cut your cloth to suit your life style !!!

Hi all and thx a lot for all of your feedbacks, I really appreciate it!

With regards to the issues you mentioned:

1. My passive income does not come from Capital (I don't have a lot of capital), it comes from years of brokering deals and it's basically the commission I get from deals that are done and will be made between all the parties involved (at this point, I am doing no work whatsoever, my work was already made)

If anything, this income will be higher with time.

I am willing to pay tax on this income, but in return I would like to get a work permit/something which will allow me to stay without the need of visa run.

2. There is no way for me to invest 10 mil and getting investment visa, I don't have this amount of money.

3. Too many visa runs (and the fear of one day not getting a visa while all my stuff are in the apartment) are the main obstacles I have at this point and I am afraid that too many visa runs will just cause me to feel that it's all way too much hassle and I am afraid that ultimately it will cause me to give up this dream (unless I find a proper solution)

4. Even if I wanted to become an English teacher (it's not for me personally), I am not a native English speaker and I personally think that only native speaking people should teach English.

5. What will I do with my time? well, here I have to agree with ludditeman, I have a lot of hobbies, I am a very friendly person and I plan to really build a life there, meet good people, read, hang out and do everything I would do back home, just in a much nicer and affordable place :)

I will also travel a lot, BUT it would be traveling light and always come back to my home in Thailand.

After living and working abroad for over 6 years (in which 1 years was in S.East Asia), I am fully aware of the bar/girls/night scene issues, and how if you are not really in control, might spend all your monthly allowance in a single day...

Been there, done that (many times actually..) I'm not sorry for anything, I had a blast!, but at this point of my life, the idea is to take control over my life and not to focus only on these things as they are not healthy to the body and to the pocket if you over do it.

If you learn to do things in moderation, you can have a very good life in this budget in my opinion (based on the short trips I've made in Thailand) .

6. Increasing living costs: I will live in a decent manner, if for some reason my money will not be sufficient for living comfortably, i will pack my things and fly out.

I don't mind moving to a smaller apartment and spending less when going out, However, I'm here to live well, not to suffer and think every time if I can effort a beer/night out on a daily basis.

7. I would love to learn Thai, I want to feel a part of the place and it is essential to speak the language if you want to really live in a place and feel a part of it.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please understand you will have nothing but grief regarding your visa until you hit 50. It will require a huge amount of money to swap out half used passports and make visa runs hither and yon. You best option this year is the ED visa. You may be entitled to an O visa based on marriage if and when that happens. That may have to be obtained from your home country.

Your biggest issue is not where you will stay, but who will permit your stay.

Thailand will let you run around the country for about a year with a fresh passport. After that all best are off, your stay is quite tenuous but doable. I have survived here on TRs since the clampdown with planned trips abroad and my home country as well as new passports. I don't see how guys have been able to stay afloat on TR's without doing the same.

I would again plug Cambodia. Phnom Penh has everything you need (save for a beach!) and the growth is phenomenal. By the time you settle and learn the language (which is easier than Thai), you will be a real player. The Khmer are lovely people. Cambodia granting one year visas! You can trip into Thailand for two weeks FREE and return to Cambodia FREE. The road to Siem Reap is now great and all the roads in the country are being rebuilt. It would be my base right now but I have a Thai girlfriend. Vietnam. I hear six month visas. Food is great, women can be stunners, people are very clever, (not great) good coastline.

Do not listen to the naysayers and worriers about medical and insurances assuming you are in good health and your parents have had relatively good health. You have one life, live it! These are the rubes that sat in a chair until they were 65. They have saved for everything and made all contingencies. Only problem is that they are as good as dead both physically and in their heads.

I second everything slackbaba said above. I'm about 10 years older than you and 10 years away from the retirement visa. I moved to Thailand two and half years ago and the visa issue is the main reason why I'm very seriously looking for the next "home." For next year, I'll go with Cambodian 1-year visa and come here just for visits. Staying legally in Thailand for people under 50 is a big problem and it will only get worse in the future. Marrying is not exactly a solution either. My friend has been married to a Thai national for 17 years and he had virtually no advantage over me when it comes to visas. Marrying a Thai national won't grant you work or even staying rights here. Even if you had 10 mil. B to invest, would you want to pour all that money into a business with a Thai partner?

I also thought ED visa would be a good way to stay legally, learn the language, get more integrated into the culture, etc. After paying for one year tuition, I realized that in addition to visa fees, there are fees to immigration every 90 days, plus permits to actually leave country (re-entry permit) up to 90 days. What convinced me that ED is a not a viable future solution for me is the Immigration's "crackdown" on ED visa holders. The idea of some baht-hungry, semi-literate, immigration officer taking upon himself to test people on their school progress in hope of getting extra bribe disgusts me.

For the past 20 or so years, greed-driven government has been making stays in Thailand increasingly difficult and more expensive. Many people will tell you that "there is always a way to do something in Thailand." This is true, but the cost of doing it has been steadily increasing. Additionally, the feeling of being barely tolerated in some place only because of the money locals can extract from you can't make you feel good in the long run.

I wish I were in your position and had the freedom you have at your age. I can only echo what many others had already said. Come here, stay as a tourist, travel around, enjoy the good part of Thailand. But don't plan on living here happily ever after before you explore many other, if not more (or much more), just as beautiful, friendly, easy going and welcoming peoples and cultures around the world. Someone mentioned Ecuador and Argentina. I have friends who live happy lives there, with NONE of the hassles we endure here. I know there are many more places worth exploring. Thailand may be on the cheaper and of the scale, especially considering conveniences and infrastructure, but if want anything imported or considered luxury, that advantage will be wiped out quickly. Keep in mind that 3000 USD can give you a very comfortable life in all but the most industrialized/expensive countries in the world.

Good luck with your search for the promise-land !

• Like 1

Please ignore all the negative comments on your question,. I sometimes wonder why many of these posters bother to live in this country (a lot of them probably don't!) It is all do-able, An education visa is probably the best bet to start with and if you buy a property an o visa shouldn't be a problem either. Go for it. Have fun and good luck! My partner is under 50 and we have had no problems so far.

Edited by daveb1

Don't worry, you will be married in a week, no visa probs. :lol:

he he, yeah, I came here after a divorce, swore no wifes, no GF's, and I lasted 3 weeks...

That was 2 years ago.... :blink:

Edited by eriksen
fix quote

Hi There

I was just reading your concern about you living in Thailand , visa , etc .

My suggestion is for you to open a legit small biz thru a lawyer in Thailand .

It sounds more complicated than it is but !!!

1: You need a Non-immigrant "B" Visa before you come to Thailand , or you can enter on the regular Tourist Visa , but would then have to go Penang , or Singapore to get it .

My experience is that its better to have it before you enter Thailand , or though sometimes Thai embassy in foreign countries can be pretty though to work with , but with a good plan of yours would help.

2:You need some start capital , about 4000$ US , Thai lawyer Fee , Goverment paper's e.t.c , 1 year visa .

3: After you have opened the company , the Lawyer takes care of you getting everything done in the right way :) Visa , accounting , but its good to find out what service your lawyer provides .

I went to thailand 2002 with a small amount of savings , opened a Company ( Music composer ) , and it gave me the securtity , and peace for not getting hazzelt around by the immigration .

Best of luck

Most know the fees for this and that, but what was killing me was the 6600/month just for social for my "staff"! and my Tax. This is fine if your business makes more than all these costs of course...

Edited by lopburi3
fix quote

Please understand you will have nothing but grief regarding your visa until you hit 50. It will require a huge amount of money to swap out half used passports and make visa runs hither and yon. You best option this year is the ED visa. You may be entitled to an O visa based on marriage if and when that happens. That may have to be obtained from your home country.

Your biggest issue is not where you will stay, but who will permit your stay.

Thailand will let you run around the country for about a year with a fresh passport. After that all best are off, your stay is quite tenuous but doable. I have survived here on TRs since the clampdown with planned trips abroad and my home country as well as new passports. I don't see how guys have been able to stay afloat on TR's without doing the same.

I would again plug Cambodia. Phnom Penh has everything you need (save for a beach!) and the growth is phenomenal. By the time you settle and learn the language (which is easier than Thai), you will be a real player. The Khmer are lovely people. Cambodia granting one year visas! You can trip into Thailand for two weeks FREE and return to Cambodia FREE. The road to Siem Reap is now great and all the roads in the country are being rebuilt. It would be my base right now but I have a Thai girlfriend. Vietnam. I hear six month visas. Food is great, women can be stunners, people are very clever, (not great) good coastline.

Do not listen to the naysayers and worriers about medical and insurances assuming you are in good health and your parents have had relatively good health. You have one life, live it! These are the rubes that sat in a chair until they were 65. They have saved for everything and made all contingencies. Only problem is that they are as good as dead both physically and in their heads.

I second everything slackbaba said above. I'm about 10 years older than you and 10 years away from the retirement visa. I moved to Thailand two and half years ago and the visa issue is the main reason why I'm very seriously looking for the next "home." For next year, I'll go with Cambodian 1-year visa and come here just for visits. Staying legally in Thailand for people under 50 is a big problem and it will only get worse in the future. Marrying is not exactly a solution either. My friend has been married to a Thai national for 17 years and he had virtually no advantage over me when it comes to visas. Marrying a Thai national won't grant you work or even staying rights here. Even if you had 10 mil. B to invest, would you want to pour all that money into a business with a Thai partner?

I also thought ED visa would be a good way to stay legally, learn the language, get more integrated into the culture, etc. After paying for one year tuition, I realized that in addition to visa fees, there are fees to immigration every 90 days, plus permits to actually leave country (re-entry permit) up to 90 days. What convinced me that ED is a not a viable future solution for me is the Immigration's "crackdown" on ED visa holders. The idea of some baht-hungry, semi-literate, immigration officer taking upon himself to test people on their school progress in hope of getting extra bribe disgusts me.

For the past 20 or so years, greed-driven government has been making stays in Thailand increasingly difficult and more expensive. Many people will tell you that "there is always a way to do something in Thailand." This is true, but the cost of doing it has been steadily increasing. Additionally, the feeling of being barely tolerated in some place only because of the money locals can extract from you can't make you feel good in the long run.

I wish I were in your position and had the freedom you have at your age. I can only echo what many others had already said. Come here, stay as a tourist, travel around, enjoy the good part of Thailand. But don't plan on living here happily ever after before you explore many other, if not more (or much more), just as beautiful, friendly, easy going and welcoming peoples and cultures around the world. Someone mentioned Ecuador and Argentina. I have friends who live happy lives there, with NONE of the hassles we endure here. I know there are many more places worth exploring. Thailand may be on the cheaper and of the scale, especially considering conveniences and infrastructure, but if want anything imported or considered luxury, that advantage will be wiped out quickly. Keep in mind that 3000 USD can give you a very comfortable life in all but the most industrialized/expensive countries in the world.

Good luck with your search for the promise-land !

Staying legally in Thailand for people under 50 is a big problem and it will only get worse in the future. SAYS WHO? BASED ON WHAT FACTS?

there are fees to immigration every 90 days NOT CORRECT THERE ARE NO FEES EVERY 90 DAYS

Please ignore all the negative comments on your question,. I sometimes wonder why many of these posters bother to live in this country (a lot of them probably don't!) It is all do-able, An education visa is probably the best bet to start with and if you buy a property an o visa shouldn't be a problem either. Go for it. Have fun and good luck! My partner is under 50 and we have had no problems so far.

Well Said.

Sure there are problems with visa's in Thailand, I was successful in getting a Green card to America, that was much harder (100 times harder) than getting a visa in Thailand!! Thailand IS Visa friendly, stop biatching about it and work with the system not against it. for those who say not to come here, then i say perhaps you should leave.

Staying legally in Thailand for people under 50 is a big problem and it will only get worse in the future. SAYS WHO? BASED ON WHAT FACTS?

there are fees to immigration every 90 days NOT CORRECT THERE ARE NO FEES EVERY 90 DAYS

Dave, in case you didn't know, cap letters are for yelling at people.

I said it based on my own experience with visas and prospects of long term stay in Thailand. As an illustration of what is going to happen to ED visas, I supplied the link.

It used to be that one gets 90 days visa-free stay upon entry. Then it became 30 days, then it became 15 days if entering overland.

Retirement visa requirement used to be 400 000 B, now it's 800 000.

Tourist visas are routinely refused to people in Vientiane if applied consecutively (maybe rightfully so). Even if not, one has to show onward ticket out of Thailand when applying for a visa in many Thai consulates (possibly not all) which makes traveling to neighboring countries to get another tourist visa more complicated.

These are just a few illustrations of the direction where things are progressing.

I have an ED visa and 90 day extensions are 1900B. What visa do you have Dave and how do you know that ED visa extensions are free?

ED is not a viable option in my opinion. There is no need to yell at anyone who has opinion different from yours.

There are good things about Thailand, but it's no paradise by any stretch of imagination.

I said it based on my own experience with visas and prospects of long term stay in Thailand. As an illustration of what is going to happen to ED visas, I supplied the link.

It used to be that one gets 90 days visa-free stay upon entry. Then it became 30 days, then it became 15 days if entering overland.

Tourist visas are routinely refused to people in Vientiane if applied consecutively (maybe rightfully so). Even if not, one has to show onward ticket out of Thailand when applying for a visa in many Thai consulates (possibly not all) which makes traveling to neighboring countries to get another tourist visa more complicated.

These are just a few illustrations of the direction where things are progressing.

I have an ED visa and 90 day extensions are 1900B. What visa do you have Dave and how do you know that ED visa extensions are free?

ED is not a viable option in my opinion. There is no need to yell at anyone who has opinion different from yours.

There are good things about Thailand, but it's no paradise by any stretch of imagination.

I've held an ED visa for 2 years, every 90 days you go to immigration (like everyone with a long term visa) and sign the book, before you didn't have to do that but after the sunami they introduced it so people don't go missing, it's actually a good idea and takes an hour out of your life ever 90 days, woop dee doo.

THERE ARE NO FEES INVOLVED AND IF YOUR PAYING A FEE I CAN ONLY LAUGH YOU PAY 1900 BAHT TO RENEW THE ED VISA AND THAT'S PAYED ONCE A YEAR NOT EVERY 90 DAYS. check the visa forums if your still not a believer.

BTW THAILAND IS PARADISE!

Certainly consider enrolling in a reputable, registered school/university to study Thai, and do it properly: > Study!

My visa requirements are different because of age, and other circumstances, but I would certainly advise a reconnaissance period before any, even semi-permanent moves are made.

If you can safely store most of your belongings in your home land for a while, do it, and travel and live light-weight. As hinted, joked, suggested, advised in previous posts, you will learn as you go, as I have. My plan was drastically modified within a very short time, a month, then dumped on it's head 4 months after that when my fiance sent emails (whilst I was back in Europe for a few weeks working) saying it was all over, and then found her on Facebook, slobbering all over another, who had apparently promised even more money, quicker and bullshitted about giving her everything she needed, including gambling funds for her mother. (Not off-topic. It's an example of the sort of surprise upheaval one can be stumped with.)

A tip re the above: If you ever approach the idea of a steady relationship with a Thai woman, check first to see if she worships the Chinese goddess of wealth, money etc. Then no matter how beautiful she is, extricate yourself, quickly, before you really fall in love. You will never be able to trust her. And you will regret it. Unless of course you are really capable of viewing the relationship as a business transaction, one which you can securely bankroll forever, and see the pretence of love as nothing more than a fringe benefit. Never let her know the extent of your wealth, nor her friends, including and especially anyone related to her. Her security for the future is also the family's meal ticket. You will be discussed and reviewed by her family throughout your time with her, You of course will be unaware of this. Then one day when you spit the dummy, and say that you have paid for enough of the extended family's medical and education expenses, ... Whammo !! Punch! Bang BOOM! "What happened?" ...

I now live on 5000 Baht a month, including rent for a 100 sqr meter, 2-story concrete shop building with dwelling above, 160 km from Bkk. I will double this budget soon to include a small apartment/room (3500 Baht) close to the current girlfriend, who does live and work in Bkk. It is not in a tourist area, and like my village abode, there are very few farangs ever seen. However, being close to a University, my transport and social requirements are well met. No doubt you seek a different lifestyle, and your money concerns read as 'luxury issues' to me. However, if you take care, watch your back, and don't splash money, you could well have a very enjoyable and rewarding few years ahead of you. The future is yours. Go for it.

Be prepared for the unexpected. It always happens when you least expect it. :D

• Like 1

The fact is most ED extensions of stay for language study are of 90 days (except Phuket and perhaps Hua Hin). So there is a fee to pay every 90 days (new TM.7 at 1,900 baht).

As for retirement extension of stay being more now it has changed - but the age has also been reduced from 60 to 50.

As for visa exempt entry I never recall 90 days for most countries - in fact it used to be 14 days.

The fact is most ED extensions of stay for language study are of 90 days (except Phuket and perhaps Hua Hin). So there is a fee to pay every 90 days (new TM.7 at 1,900 baht).

As for retirement extension of stay being more now it has changed - but the age has also been reduced from 60 to 50.

As for visa exempt entry I never recall 90 days for most countries - in fact it used to be 14 days.

The real fact is! You extend your ED visa every 1 year not 90 days. On an ED visa you must report (like all other visa's) every 90 days NO FEE.

The TM.7 located here http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm7.pdf

Like you said lopburi3 there is a 1900 fee but you do this every 1 year not every 90 days!!!

The extention of stay is for those who want to extend their visa, you extend your visa once it's finished and if you have a yearly ED visa you extend it yearly

Just to make it clear again

The TM7 immigration form is used to applied for a one year visa extension based on retirement, marriage, education

BTW visa waiver to USA is 90 days so is most countries look it up!

The TM.7 is used for any extension of stay - be it 7 days or a year or anything in between. One year is the maximum stay under section 2.9 Immigration at most locations only allow 90 day extension of stay for part time language school study so a new application must be made, with new paperwork/attendance every 90 days.

2.9 In the case of enrollment in

a private educational

institution: Permission will be

granted for a period as

confirmed by the institution

but shall not be more than 1

year at a time.

Taken from an advertiser on thaivisas website Student Visa

1 Year ED (student) Visa

Students who enroll at our school in a one year course are eligible to apply for a one year non-immigrant ED visa. With this visa you do not have to leave Thailand every now and then but can stay here continually for one year. On arrival you will be permitted to stay for 90 days and then with a paperwork provided by our school you will be able to extend your stay every 90 days at the local immigration office for the duration of the course. At present extensions cost 1,900 Baht. You can enjoy studying Thai and at the same time not worrying about making any visa runs.

How much does it cost?

• School fee 24,960 Baht (promotion price)
    Extensions 1,900 Baht every 90 days (government charges)

You guys can quote any website you like here is Thai Visa's ED visa section http://www.thaivisa.com/279.0.html Updated by Sunbelt legal advisors February 9, 2011

It even states you can stay here for one year and only require one extention!

I've never paid 1900 every 90 days and been doing it for 2 years, in fact I go on monday for my 90 day check in, unless things have changed in the past 90 days i won't pay anything.

If i have to pay I'll eat my words and be prepared to come back here to tell you so.

I live in Chiang Mai BTW

I have started a new thread regarding the ED visa and checkins to immigration every 90 days, so let's see what other members say.

Edited by ThaiSold

Planning to settle in Thailand permanently at 31 with an income like that, not based on investments, doesn't seem like a viable long term strategy. It is quite likely that inflation will erode the value of this income over time and it doesn't sound like this type of income stream is sustainable indefinitely anyway. Visa rules also change over time and tend to get stricter and stricter. By the time you are 50, it is almost a certainty that the retirement visa will no longer be available on the same easy dirt cheap terms it is today. If you really want to stay here permanently, your only viable long term option is to find a job with a work permit and have a long term career in Thailand. You will have to accept that any other solution is only temporary and be prepared to move on with short notice when the time comes that Thailand no longer wants you.

You guys can quote any website you like here is Thai Visa's ED visa section http://www.thaivisa.com/279.0.html Updated by Sunbelt legal advisors February 9, 2011

I've never paid 1900 every 90 days and been doing it for 2 years, in fact I go on monday for my 90 day check in, unless things have changed in the past 90 days i won't pay anything.

If i have to pay I'll eat my words and be prepared to come back here to tell you so.

I live in Chiang Mai BTW

And you study at a language school or a university? Part time language school study (of about 4 hours per week) normally only gets a 90 day extension of stay.

Certainly consider enrolling in a reputable, registered school/university to study Thai, and do it properly: > Study!

My visa requirements are different because of age, and other circumstances, but I would certainly advise a reconnaissance period before any, even semi-permanent moves are made.

If you can safely store most of your belongings in your home land for a while, do it, and travel and live light-weight. As hinted, joked, suggested, advised in previous posts, you will learn as you go, as I have. My plan was drastically modified within a very short time, a month, then dumped on it's head 4 months after that when my fiance sent emails (whilst I was back in Europe for a few weeks working) saying it was all over, and then found her on Facebook, slobbering all over another, who had apparently promised even more money, quicker and bullshitted about giving her everything she needed, including gambling funds for her mother. (Not off-topic. It's an example of the sort of surprise upheaval one can be stumped with.)

A tip re the above: If you ever approach the idea of a steady relationship with a Thai woman, check first to see if she worships the Chinese goddess of wealth, money etc. Then no matter how beautiful she is, extricate yourself, quickly, before you really fall in love. You will never be able to trust her. And you will regret it. Unless of course you are really capable of viewing the relationship as a business transaction, one which you can securely bankroll forever, and see the pretence of love as nothing more than a fringe benefit. Never let her know the extent of your wealth, nor her friends, including and especially anyone related to her. Her security for the future is also the family's meal ticket. You will be discussed and reviewed by her family throughout your time with her, You of course will be unaware of this. Then one day when you spit the dummy, and say that you have paid for enough of the extended family's medical and education expenses, ... Whammo !! Punch! Bang BOOM! "What happened?" ...

I now live on 5000 Baht a month, including rent for a 100 sqr meter, 2-story concrete shop building with dwelling above, 160 km from Bkk. I will double this budget soon to include a small apartment/room (3500 Baht) close to the current girlfriend, who does live and work in Bkk. It is not in a tourist area, and like my village abode, there are very few farangs ever seen. However, being close to a University, my transport and social requirements are well met. No doubt you seek a different lifestyle, and your money concerns read as 'luxury issues' to me. However, if you take care, watch your back, and don't splash money, you could well have a very enjoyable and rewarding few years ahead of you. The future is yours. Go for it.

Be prepared for the unexpected. It always happens when you least expect it. :D

Couldn't agree more! All this talk of needing this amount or that amount of money, and Stickman or whoever says this or that, is hogwash. Cut your coat to suit your cloth. And that goes not only for money but for your whole quality of life. The unhappy history of farangs being relieved of their money in this sainted country should be, but likely won't be, instructive.

I live in Chiang Mai BTW

And you study at a language school or a university? Part time language school study (of about 4 hours per week) normally only gets a 90 day extension of stay.

study at Walen for 1 year ED Visa. This is in context to the OP who wants to live here for many years, I doubt he cares how to stay here for 90 days at a time and would be a waste of time bringing it up.

And below is quoted from the Walen web site. Perhaps you started when one year extensions were still normal - they changed specifically for language schools a little more than a year or so ago and made them 90 days only - but you can continue to obtain with school paperwork and attendance. This indeed is what most people are obtaining currently for this part time study.

Student Visa

1 Year ED (student) Visa

Students who enroll at our school in a one year course are eligible to apply for a one year non-immigrant ED visa. With this visa you do not have to leave Thailand every now and then but can stay here continually for one year. On arrival you will be permitted to stay for 90 days and then with a paperwork provided by our school you will be able to extend your stay every 90 days at the local immigration office for the duration of the course. At present extensions cost 1,900 Baht. You can enjoy studying Thai and at the same time not worrying about making any visa runs.

How much does it cost?

School fee 24,960 Baht (promotion price)

Extensions 1,900 Baht every 90 days (government charges)

Somebody mentioned retirement in the Philippines, and whilst I haven't read the entire thread, I didn't see an info.

Here's a link to just one site on retirement in the Philippines http://www.dumagueteinfo.com/

Dumaguete seems like a nice enough place, and I may even consider it.

I have friends working in Vietnam, and I visit there a couple of times a year. They tell me that retirement there is a difficult thing to do, but I am relying on what they say. I pass it on with no real knowledge of the actual situation.

Somebody mentioned retirement in the Philippines, and whilst I haven't read the entire thread, I didn't see an info.

Here's a link to just one site on retirement in the Philippines http://www.dumagueteinfo.com/

Dumaguete seems like a nice enough place, and I may even consider it.

I have friends working in Vietnam, and I visit there a couple of times a year. They tell me that retirement there is a difficult thing to do, but I am relying on what they say. I pass it on with no real knowledge of the actual situation.

At your age Thailand is the last place I pick.

Been in-and-out of the place for the last sixty year.

At the start they were such nice people riding around in their bullock carts.

Now in the twenty-two (22) wheelers era with the help of the American Madison Ave. crowd they have become a totally different people. GREED. It looks like they are trying to outdo the Americans who with 7% of the world population are wasting 43% of the world’s natural resources. When I first came Thailand was 76% forested now 2011 you are lucky if it still has 23% forest (just one example).

I live on a retirement visa which is the simplest one of the bunch. But even then you do not know from one day to the next what rule change is coming down the pike. Right now I see on the Forum that immigration has changed the 90-day reporting requirement, again. Were am I going to with the brick and mortar Albatross hanging round my neck? If ever am lucky to unload two golf course houses and one BKK apartment I will be on my way, either to Baguio or Dalat.

Don’t know what country passport you travel on, but if it is USA the Philippines is a much more agreeable place to reside in due to having been US administrated for some one hundred years and every educated Philipino speaks English in addition many Philipino are living in the US. The same goes for Vietnam having been a colony of France for over one hundred years.

Again, I do not know were you from, but the best thing you can do is look around the area you are from and familiar with instead of jumping off at the deep end on the other end of the world. I landed up here in connection with my work, and the brick and mortar Albatross is contrary to my philosophy, it came about through the housing allowance in my work contracts instead of dumping it down the chute of the landlord I used it to buy. Same in Vietnam were I left two homes and also in Iran were I left one apartment. No hard feelings about them because the housing allowance paid for them and I was on my way to another work contract.

You have one serious problem at your age the same as I had fifty years ago; you are toooooo positive about your finances/live ahead of you. It wasn’t until I past midlife that it hit me between the eyes I better straighten up and sail straight or I will be sleeping under the stars when no company needed an old man regardless of all his knowledge and experience, anymore.

LOL with you decision(s).

If you have a real strong reason why it has to be Thailand, then go for it. There is always a way but it will come with a price.

If not, keep your mind open to alternatives.

As you are free anyway, why not take a year to travel around and look at the different options and talk to some of the expats who have settled down in these places?

Sorry dident mean to be rude! What i meant about no fees for 90 day reporting on ed visa was there are no extra fees other than the usual 90 day 1900 baht i dident say it very well!

Citizenship. The suggestions to live here for one year on a trial basis and then decide your future after that are well founded. Even if you are 100% sure this is where you want to be. Ultimately, if you want to live here presumably forever then citizenship/residency is a viable option. Definitely not an easy option, but if you take the time and effort to become a fluent thai speaker (which you should) and adapt to thai culture, then by starting the process now, in a few years its possible to attain citizenship.

There are plenty of discussions on these forums regarding that issue...Give 'em a browse.

OR

Get a work permit. Also, much easier said than done, but if you can find a company back home that has locations in Thailand/Bangkok and they are willing to send you here, having a work permit is a very legitimate way to live here. Again, not easy to do, but possible.

I am not trying to disrespect the person that wrote this, but citizenship is not an option for you now. After you have been here for a number of years you might look into it.

I am curious has anyone on this board gotten the go stamp in the past 4 years for a res book, i heard from a friend that they haven't done a standard (non vip) residense book in the last 4 years. Same thing as the BTS Bangna delay no one wants to sign off because no one wants the blame.

For any of the idiots in Isann with a computer and nothing else to do, before you blah blah about the inaccuracies of my statements, just know I

hold a little red book and I blue one the eagle and the arrows.