Price For Repairs...

Dag

If you really want to know if you got a good deal or not, give us a list of the part numbers/model numbers of the items you bought, the amount of labor involved and your general location in Thailand and I can tell you if you got a decent deal or not.

For those who think they got a good deal just because they paid a certain amount of Baht for an entire system, It depends on whether all of your part are actually "new" and whether what you bought is considered "top quality" or "name brand".

I don't know anything about the person who bought a "7000 Baht" system with a 1 terabyte drive, but I'd be willing to bet one month's pension check that it is not very good system, thought it may be adequate for his/her needs. Chances are such entry level systems will work fine for at least the year that it's under warranty (if there is a warranty), I know, I've built many low level/entry level systems with perhaps one or two quality components and in most cases they'll work just fine for years on end....provided the user doesn't try to get the system to perform feats it was never meant to.

For that matter, a virus or some other form of malware will probably take most systems down prior to any component failure. I'll temper that statement by saying that component failure is extremely high here in Land Of Smiles, and considering the components are pretty much the same throughout the world, I'll attribute the high failure rate to extreme dust and heat, high humidity, power surges/brown-outs/cut-offs, and general rough handling of delicate parts. At any rate, feel free to email or send me a personal message (PM) if you'd like to further discuss any of these points.

Ok....here is what was on the receipt.

M/B ASUS (1333 BLS) .... note cannot read last 3 letters clearly either BLS BUS BU8 BL8

VGA 1GB DDR3

Power Supply.

4GB 1333DBR3 RAM .....again...either DBR3 or DDR3

Plus they downloaded and installed all my old stuff such as utorrents, photo software, avast, skype, and so on for me as my connection at home sucks.

By the way....it was all fried by a power surge or lightning strike....my UPS was blown up inside as well.

Edited by Dag

Ok....here is what was on the receipt.

M/B ASUS (1333 BLS) .... note cannot read last 3 letters clearly either BLS BUS BU8 BL8

VGA 1GB DDR3

Power Supply.

4GB 1333DBR3 RAM .....again...either DBR3 or DDR3

Plus they downloaded and installed all my old stuff such as utorrents, photo software, avast, skype, and so on for me as my connection at home sucks.

By the way....it was all fried by a power surge or lightning strike....my UPS was blown up inside as well.

Well, 1333MHz BUS (Official support speed of RAM on the motherboard) and 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM. But that doesn't really help us. Specific model of the motherboard including what socket it is (AM1, AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+, 478, 775, 1155, 1156, etc.) There is A LOT of different hardware out there.

Same goes for the VGA-card, Nvidia/AMD, what model?

The Powersupply is the most importnant component thought, since it is the backbone in every system. If you have a cheap, no-name powersupply without safety features that fails, it can in a worst case scenario take out EVERY component in the computer along with it.

Ok one more try. In order to give you a good answer, I needed to know the name or model number of the particular items you paid for. At any rate, for a recently upgraded system, I included these items:

Asus Sabertooth P67 (Mainboard...street value is about 4500 Baht)

Nvidia GeForce GT 430 1GB DDR3 (VGA...street value is about 2000 Baht)

Super Black 2 (500 Watt Power Supply...street value 750 Baht)

Kingston ValueRAM (4 GB 1333MHZ DDR3...street value 1000 Baht)

These may be representative of the items you purchased...excluding any labor for troubleshooting, tearing down and rebuilding your system.

So, did you get a fair deal? The only way to be sure is to know exactly what you purchased. That means the details. In the future, always have technicians give you the packaging and documention with anything you purchase. Also ask that replaced parts are returned to you prior to the start of any repairs. Everything comes with documentation and warranty information, even for the professionals who buy items in bulk.

thanks.....but I did not bother to keep packaging....nor do do I want to pull it apart to try to see numbers and such ....so I'll just have to be content with what I have and the prices Mosan mention seem to reflect a reasonable deal......I hope.

Thanks anyway.