Pls Add Your View On Automatic Transmission + Comfort

THAIPHUKET

So which Thai diesel truck does this run in.

Not sure but it is a heavy duty 4 pinion box found in turbo cars, might already be in mine but if it is not bell-housings are interchangeable.

EDIT: A mate just replied to an sms message, he is pushing 370hp and 550nm through the jatco box in his colorado and has done for 3 yrs now, it is a daily driver.

I am sure with mods the box would hold together from what I just read on the net they can be modified for major HP, But at 550nm he is still at a fairly stock engine, seems strange that his torque is so low unless of course its a petrol ?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So which Thai diesel truck does this run in.

Not sure but it is a heavy duty 4 pinion box found in turbo cars, might already be in mine but if it is not bell-housings are interchangeable.

EDIT: A mate just replied to an sms message, he is pushing 370hp and 550nm through the jatco box in his colorado and has done for 3 yrs now, it is a daily driver.

Also need to think about that trans is its used in Hi Horse power medium torque high reving engines and the performance diesels run High HP with High torque at low rpms. Which can be a problem, Same problem they have in Thailand fitting the RB25 skyline boxes to the performance diesels the hi torque low rpm splits them.

All this racing and shifting fast.

Never saw this happening in bumper to bumper Thailand traffic

All in know is in an automatic I put my foot on the break-= car stops. Put my foot on the acclerator and it goes. Then i steer where I want to go.

Can't get any simpler than that.

Edited by thaicruze

All in know is in an automatic and put my foot on the break-= car stops. Put my foot on the acclerator and it goes. Then i steer where I want to go.

Well, that was the OP's original question but a member chose to compare race trans with street trans :rolleyes: and so here we are. The OP has gone to bed cos he doesn't know what we are on about. :)

:lol:

All in know is in an automatic and put my foot on the break-= car stops. Put my foot on the acclerator and it goes. Then i steer where I want to go.

Well, that was the OP's original question but a member chose to compare race trans with street trans :rolleyes: and so here we are. The OP has gone to bed cos he doesn't know what we are on about. :)

Yes that was you, I just bought up the fact that many drag/track race diesel still run a standard manual box :whistling: and you run off into V8 drag cars again :D

Edited by Shocktreatment

Yes that was you, I just bought up the fact that many drag/track race diesel still run a standard manual box :whistling: and you run off into V8 drag cars again :D

Nooooooooooo, you started the truck drag angle. The OP asked a question Yes/No. I say again, ALL modern auto's are great, YOU want to wrestle with a stick thats up to you BUT for Mr & Mrs Average the extra cost is WELLLLLLLL worth it. :)

All in know is in an automatic I put my foot on the break-= car stops. Put my foot on the acclerator and it goes. Then i steer where I want to go.

Hahaha - good one. I had just returned from an 11 hour drive with very heavy traffic all the way from Yasothon and I just cannot for the life of me believe how idiotic some drivers in Thailand can be. Tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, pulling up to the car in front and slamming on the brakes......

Good driving is not about speed but about safety and consideration for other drivers around you. I'm not at all impressed by those drivers who sees a hole in the traffic and dives into it, whether they are driving a manual or not. To me, they are just idiots that should be kept off the roads.

Sorry about the rant but I get very worked up with high speed and reckless driving in heavy traffic.

Hahaha - good one. I had just returned from an 11 hour drive with very heavy traffic all the way from Yasothon and I just cannot for the life of me believe how idiotic some drivers in Thailand can be. Tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, pulling up to the car in front and slamming on the brakes......

Good driving is not about speed but about safety and consideration for other drivers around you. I'm not at all impressed by those drivers who sees a hole in the traffic and dives into it, whether they are driving a manual or not. To me, they are just idiots that should be kept off the roads.

Sorry about the rant but I get very worked up with high speed and reckless driving in heavy traffic.

Dont need a manual to drive that like.

Every day way of life here l am affraid, but with time you do get used to what a moron will do. Just another thing to learn and deal with in LOS. :D

Who mentioned racing? I certainly didn't.. I'm speaking about normal city driving and yes negotiating the crap city traffic in Bangkok and needing to get around the silly fools, songtaew and bus drivers sitting still while the light is green and not getting through which means another 15 minutes waiting while another 100 or so motocys get through and you don't until the pissed up cop decides to change the light on his convenience..

T/A has that tactic of moving the goal posts quite a bit to try to suit is argument when it starts to go off the rails :whistling: .

Edited by WarpSpeed

Nooooooooooo, you started the truck drag angle. The OP asked a question Yes/No. I say again, ALL modern auto's are great, YOU want to wrestle with a stick thats up to you BUT for Mr & Mrs Average the extra cost is WELLLLLLLL worth it. :)

Yes to show that the standard stick is stronger than the auto, which every one knows except you never mentioned modified gearboxes unlike you who flew straight into your v8 auto drag car rant again with out even having a clue about Thailand performance diesels. B)

:cheesy: Spoken like a true road block-moving chicane driver..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Back on topic, I sure was glad that I was doing this long bumper to bumper journey in an automatic. In a manual, I would have had to be carried out of the car due to cramps in my left leg.

Yep, only people in good condition or whom care about their conditioning should consider having one, they do require you to work a bit but that's one of their benefits not their drawbacks when you're spending so much idle time (no pun intended) not exercising but merely sitting on one's posterior..

Me

The autos are great for a family/city car but for fun in small diesel performances truck forget the autos they arent yet up to the task and can not take the torque or abuse a stick will.

You

Total nonsense. :rolleyes:

Me

How many autos are running in the 2.5 to 3.0 diesel drags in Thailand.

how many autos are in the super truck series.

Ask MPI why he got rid of his auto in his monster triton.

B)

You

You are now talking about RACING aren't you, yes/no. Different ball game cos they don't know how to modify an auto trans OR the upgrade parts are not available for the purpose.

V8 drag racing. NOOOOOO stock manual box is up to it. GM TH 400 can handle 1000 HP with a few mods, 6 SECOND 1/4 milers run a 1950's designed GM Powerglide 2 speed auto with a few mod's. As l said before, do your homework. :rolleyes:

I dont see me mentioning any modified boxes, do you :cheesy: All I see is Thailand related diesels but you on the other hand you are off on a 1000hp v8 :offtopic:

Me

The autos are great for a family/city car but for fun in small diesel performances truck forget the autos they arent yet up to the task and can not take the torque or abuse a stick will.

You

Me

B)

You

You are now talking about RACING aren't you, yes/no. Different ball game cos they don't know how to modify an auto trans OR the upgrade parts are not available for the purpose.

V8 drag racing. NOOOOOO stock manual box is up to it. GM TH 400 can handle 1000 HP with a few mods, 6 SECOND 1/4 milers run a 1950's designed GM Powerglide 2 speed auto with a few mod's. As l said before, do your homework. :rolleyes:

I dont see me mentioning any modified boxes, do you :cheesy: All I see is Thailand related diesels but you on the other hand you are off on a 1000hp v8 :offtopic:

Yes and I purposely avoided the real relative racing comparison to a street tranny being circuit racing and I've only known one team in the past 10 years to try one and they competed in Lexus GS 300's with V8's against cars like mine being a 1.8l Acura Integra TypeR but the Acura was more then up to the task taking 7 wins of 9 races and setting the series record for most wins..

Many people in racing have more money then brains, must be nice to be so stupid rich. I couldn't compete budget wise so had to rely on my skill, brains and wit and this factory Lexus team as they had 3 cars with a budget of a mere $200,000 just for rebuilding their auto tranny's which were way ahead of their time. But, (and it's a big Bertha butt), they had to ship them off to Belgium every few races for a complete refresh at some specialty shop there for the modest price of $20,000 per unit :blink: I could run my entire program for 2 seasons for that amount and only rebuild my stock Honda manual box once a season and seldom was it ever more then a refresh as they never broke.

Now that it's been mentioned, what is the fastest ever ET/MPH run on a 1/4 mile with a manual gearbox ?

Me personally Ive done high 6.90's @ 200MPH with an auto (powerglide), whats the best with a manual ?

Edited by Spoonman

Me

You

Me

B)

You

I suggest you go read the OP's original post and see where l am coming from. ALL MODERN STOCK AUTO's out shift manual trans for Mr & Mrs average,period.

My mention of mega horse power stuff was to try and teach you something but alas it failed. BUT, l am sure other readers understand..:)

Now that it's been mentioned, what is the fastest ever ET/MPH run on a 1/4 mile with a manual gearbox ?

Me personally Ive done high 6.90's @ 200MPH with an auto (powerglide), whats the best with a manual ?

Sure glad you have come on board to show some what a 1950's design auto can do, BUT. the OP was asking a question. :)

Sure glad you have come on board to show some what a 1950's design auto can do, BUT. the OP was asking a question. :)

The OP's question was answered, all modern slush boxes are up to the task.

Vehicle manufacturers in this day and would not offer a gearbox that wasn't suitable, having said that abuse is not covered by warranty.

Edited by Spoonman

Vehicle manufacturers in this day and would not offer a gearbox that wasn't suitable, having said that abuse is not covered by warranty.

How would manufacturers warranty know it was abused if serviced at the correct intervals ? You would not tell them you've been drag racing eh. I recall the Shelby Mustang was hire- able through, eeeeeer, can't remember, eeeeer was it Hertz, hire it, drag race it and take it back on Monday. :D

How would manufacturers warranty know it was abused if serviced at the correct intervals ? You would not tell them you've been drag racing eh. I recall the Shelby Mustang was hire- able through, eeeeeer, can't remember, eeeeer was it Hertz, hire it, drag race it and take it back on Monday. :D

These days the transmission as well as the engine is controlled by the ECU/body control modules, not real hard for the dealerships to find out the reason for failures.

Edited by Spoonman

I am the OP and I want to thank you for your contributions.

Only that you didn't make my life/ decision easier because you didn't name one loser only 'transmission winners".

Can you help to streamline my thinking=

which car would you by today for under 1 million THB?

No pick up,

I am the OP and I want to thank you for your contributions.

Only that you didn't make my life/ decision easier because you didn't name one loser only 'transmission winners".

Can you help to streamline my thinking=

which car would you by today for under 1 million THB?

No pick up,

Nissan March, 3 of them and rent the other 2 out, although for 1 million we could bring out my blown BBC (with auto and complete fuel system) and set it up in a decent chassis and have some proper fun.

Edited by Spoonman

Just a small question on Automatic Transmission ( I personally wouldn't have anything else in Thailand)

Q, Given two new cars on a straight road,both drivers thinking of speed only,the same make of cars,and the same cc, one Manual and the other Auto Gearbox,

from a standing start 0 - 100 mph,which one would be the faster? and by what margin?

And as the kick down gear process is very quick on modern cars,would this be an advantage or not?

Just a small question on Automatic Transmission ( I personally wouldn't have anything else in Thailand)

Q, Given two new cars on a straight road,both drivers thinking of speed only,the same make of cars,and the same cc, one Manual and the other Auto Gearbox,

from a standing start 0 - 100 mph,which one would be the faster? and by what margin?

And as the kick down gear process is very quick on modern cars,would this be an advantage or not?

Only fair test is one driver testing each Car,a competition driver in a manual or auto box gets better results than Hello Kitty and Grandad. You can abuse an Auto to get the Jump. If you drive any of the Small Cars on offer here today the Manual always feels Crisper and more Alert. I Hate Kickdown in on any Auto, im grab and slam down with Auto Boxes, they cant react to road conditions to satisfy me anywhere near fast enough,and i have driven the best, even here ,so no lectures please. Up to you, Personal Choice today like my comments i'm splitting hairs over nothing realy, gone are the days when you needed a V8, This we are told, but i am of little faith.:D

doing a acceleration trial the transmission should not be kicking down.

Only fair test is one driver testing each Car,a competition driver in a manual or auto box gets better results than Hello Kitty and Grandad. You can abuse an Auto to get the Jump. If you drive any of the Small Cars on offer here today the Manual always feels Crisper and more Alert. I Hate Kickdown in on any Auto, im grab and slam down with Auto Boxes, they cant react to road conditions to satisfy me anywhere near fast enough,and i have driven the best, even here ,so no lectures please. Up to you, Personal Choice today like my comments i'm splitting hairs over nothing realy, gone are the days when you needed a V8, This we are told, but i am of little faith.:D

The auto would be 1-3 seconds slower to 100 with the same car and driver in an equivalent vehicle - compare the march auto vs manual, 12.** sec vs 15.** sec. Same for the brio, and the brio is slightly faster than the march in manual form from what I can gather.

The only auto that would be faster in this country would be the twin clutch focus/fiesta compared to it's manual counterpart (which isn't available here anyway. The fiesta auto shifts faster than you can manually shift - the rpm's drop less between gear changes in that auto. The fiesta auto woul;d be my choice for an auto here in the sub 1 million bracket.