Pls Add Your View On Automatic Transmission + Comfort

THAIPHUKET

You people are not getting it as usual!!!! It's so frustrating trying to communicate with mere mortals :( It's not about shifiting faster that is part of the problem with auto's they shift for economy not performance which is what I want, I could care less if it shifts fast it will not out-shift me because I decide when to shift and at what Rpm's or when not to which is based on the traffic I see ahead of me and reading the traffic which my car can not do and won't do until I put my foot down in the case of an automatic, where as if I see an opening developing and I downshift before applying the throttle and the engine is already to speed to move into the gap.. Even the DSG autos resist this when the car is at certain Rpm's it deems inefficient or potentially damaging for the average Joe driver on the streets and either won't down shift or shifts back on it's own, so there is no way a stock automatic in these level of cars will ever outshift me in a manual nor will ANY driver not even super T/A the drag racer in his hot Vigo!!..

Gearbox technology and in particular robotized gearboxes like DSG have made enormous progress lately. With new software, often 3 different driving styles are allowed:

"Comfort"

"Standard"

"Dynamic"

When in Dynamic mode, a gearshift is done in 0.15 sec. Try to beat that manually!

Moreover throttle response is quicker, differential settings, damper settings etc. all changes to sports mode.

I challenge you anytime with my car, which has a 7 ratio DSG with 4-wheel drive and actually 4 driving mode ("Adaptive" in addition). When I drive in "Dynamic" mode, say in 5 gear and decide floor the pedal, gearchange is instantaneous and I get the proverbial kick in the ass as the car leaps forward.

And this is more than likely done in a shorter time than any manual gearbox. Guaranteed!

Now, my car also has shift paddles and that's a lot of fun too. The sound is gorgeous.

Like the quote you used states clearly!

You people are not getting it as usual!!!!
NO transmission can see what traffic is ahead and be ready to be in the right gear in advance, unless it's a manual that is already in the right gear and does not have to react to a pressing of the accelerator end of... Especially while rolling in traffic an auto needs to kick down and then accelerate when I will already be in gear and accelerating knowing in well in advance that an opening is coming by reading the traffic.. PERIOD!! We aren't talking about a standing start drag race and continual acceleration versus up shifting..

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You people are not getting it as usual!!!! It's so frustrating trying to communicate with mere mortals :( It's not about shifiting faster that is part of the problem with auto's they shift for economy not performance which is what I want, I could care less if it shifts fast it will not out-shift me because I decide when to shift and at what Rpm's or when not to which is based on the traffic I see ahead of me and reading the traffic which my car can not do and won't do until I put my foot down in the case of an automatic, where as if I see an opening developing and I downshift before applying the throttle and the engine is already to speed to move into the gap.. Even the DSG autos resist this when the car is at certain Rpm's it deems inefficient or potentially damaging for the average Joe driver on the streets and either won't down shift or shifts back on it's own, so there is no way a stock automatic in these level of cars will ever outshift me in a manual nor will ANY driver not even super T/A the drag racer in his hot Vigo!!..

Gearbox technology and in particular robotized gearboxes like DSG have made enormous progress lately. With new software, often 3 different driving styles are allowed:

"Comfort"

"Standard"

"Dynamic"

When in Dynamic mode, a gearshift is done in 0.15 sec. Try to beat that manually!

Moreover throttle response is quicker, differential settings, damper settings etc. all changes to sports mode.

I challenge you anytime with my car, which has a 7 ratio DSG with 4-wheel drive and actually 4 driving mode ("Adaptive" in addition). When I drive in "Dynamic" mode, say in 5 gear and decide floor the pedal, gearchange is instantaneous and I get the proverbial kick in the ass as the car leaps forward.

And this is more than likely done in a shorter time than any manual gearbox. Guaranteed!

Now, my car also has shift paddles and that's a lot of fun too. The sound is gorgeous.

Like the quote you used states clearly!

You people are not getting it as usual!!!!
NO transmission can see what traffic is ahead and be ready to be in the right gear in advance, unless it's a manual that is already in the right gear and does not have to react to a pressing of the accelerator end of... Especially while rolling in traffic an auto needs to kick down and then accelerate when I will already be in gear and accelerating knowing in well in advance that an opening is coming by reading the traffic.. PERIOD!! We aren't talking about a standing start drag race and continual acceleration versus up shifting..

Total tosh, you are stuck in a time ''Warp'', as usual. :rolleyes:

Noted you're not saying WHAT car it is?? Is that a Toyota Yaris then? Or Jazz with those options :rolleyes: ?? Or even your above average Civic or Altis?

"More than likely done in a shorter time...................................... Guaranteed??" :cheesy: :cheesy: Not a lot of commitment there is it? How is it that it can shift into a lower gear that I'm already into knowing when I want to accelerate but you still haven't pushed the accelerator yet? For another example: You have to slow down because the cars in front of you are braking you've let off the gas and now are on the brake (don't tell me you left foot brake either as that is not the way the average driver drives and it's all too convenient an answer). I on the other hand have already downshifted and have my foot on the gas to begin accelerating again already in the proper gear. There is not an automatic car in a reasonable price range (which is the topic, average cars, not expensive exotics) that can or will out accelerate my anticipation of the openings and based on all of the responses so far that has been proven time and again as no one has mentioned anything in any realistic, practical segment of a daily driver only drag racers and modified or high end auto's..

I'll not debate this with those here who obviously have problems with comprehension and the real dynamics behind manual shifting on the fly so let's hope you don't follow their poor examples with your answers..

Only one word to T/A, come down to Bangkok and put your money where your mouth is and prove your point in Bangkok traffic or go back to your binky cause you got no facts to bank on!! Merely simple minded one liners..

I know it's a normal tactic here among many when loosing the point to move the goal posts but lets TRY to compare apples and apples with all things being equal..

Edited by WarpSpeed

As one who has actually used Audi TT, BM5, and RR Sport,over the last few years i must agree with Warpy.Then again Ive never resorted to revving the balls off ,and holding the Brake on either.That's just using the Brake as an extra Clutch. A Jazz Auto can change as quick me ?, utter <deleted> ,get a life some of you. It can, and did speed up a change for my Departed Grannie, no doubt about that in her Metro Mini Car :DMy Wife wanted something that did 0 to 110 in 3 Seconds so i bought here some Bathroom Scales.B)

As one who has actually used Audi TT, BM5, and RR Sport,over the last few years i must agree with Warpy.Then again Ive never resorted to revving the balls off ,and holding the Brake on either.That's just using the Brake as an extra Clutch. A Jazz Auto can change as quick me ?, utter <deleted> ,get a life some of you. It can, and did speed up a change for my Departed Grannie, no doubt about that in her Metro Mini Car :DMy Wife wanted something that did 0 to 110 in 3 Seconds so i bought here some Bathroom Scales.B)

as one that has a 500hp set of wheels i love you ladys in your shopping cart :bah: wank wank wank wank wank wank wank wank some

as one that has a 500hp set of wheels i love you ladys in your shopping cart :bah: wank wank wank wank wank wank wank wank some

Can you file your Ailments in the Medical Forum.:D

Wonder why manual trans performance guys are fitting sequential gear shift systems. :unsure:

Wonder why many rides are now fitting sequential gear shift systems. :huh:

Why, cos they want the box to operate like a prepped auto, never miss a gear, no fishing around for a gear, never in finding the wrong gear.

Noted you're not saying WHAT car it is?? Is that a Toyota Yaris then? Or Jazz with those options :rolleyes: ?? Or even your above average Civic or Altis?

"More than likely done in a shorter time...................................... Guaranteed??" :cheesy: :cheesy: Not a lot of commitment there is it? How is it that it can shift into a lower gear that I'm already into knowing when I want to accelerate but you still haven't pushed the accelerator yet? For another example: You have to slow down because the cars in front of you are braking you've let off the gas and now are on the brake (don't tell me you left foot brake either as that is not the way the average driver drives and it's all too convenient an answer). I on the other hand have already downshifted and have my foot on the gas to begin accelerating again already in the proper gear. There is not an automatic car in a reasonable price range (which is the topic, average cars, not expensive exotics) that can or will out accelerate my anticipation of the openings and based on all of the responses so far that has been proven time and again as no one has mentioned anything in any realistic, practical segment of a daily driver only drag racers and modified or high end auto's..

I'll not debate this with those here who obviously have problems with comprehension and the real dynamics behind manual shifting on the fly so let's hope you don't follow their poor examples with your answers..

Only one word to T/A, come down to Bangkok and put your money where your mouth is and prove your point in Bangkok traffic or go back to your binky cause you got no facts to bank on!! Merely simple minded one liners..

I know it's a normal tactic here among many when loosing the point to move the goal posts but lets TRY to compare apples and apples with all things being equal..

Well, the definition of an "average" car is kind of elastic. OK, my "average" car is an AUDI S5 (V6 3000 cc, kompressor, 7 ratio DSG, 4-wheel drive).

Warp, you really should try to drive one of these new generation DSG equipped cars and see for yourself how fast they shift, how intelligent the software predicts your driving etc. I could write pages here, but there is nothing like really driving it an experiencing it.

And no, I don't brake with my left foot, I haven't developed the feeling for that. But when I lift in "Dynamic" mode, there is no up-shifting, which you are probably used to from American type of planetoid auto gearbox. It keeps the gear for instant response to the throttle. It also leaves me with the choice of simply flooring, causing the DSG to shift back if necessary or manually shift with the shift-paddles behind the steering wheel. Usually I just let the gearbox do its job, no need to intervene manually. The shifting back, say from 4th to 3rd goes in a fraction of a second, because all it does is open one clutch (the one for 4th gear) and close the other clutch (the one for 3rd gear).

You see a DSG kind of gearbox is actually 2 gearboxes and 2 clutches. Gearbox No. 1 is for the rations 1, 3, 5 and 7. And gearbox No 2 is for rations 2, 4, 6 and reverse. When starting, gearbox 1 is in ratio 1 and gearbox is in ratio 2. So when you need to shift, it simply opens the first clutch and closes the 2nd, after which gearbox 1 already selects ratio 3 for the next shifting.

All I can say, guys, try it out. It's unbelievable. Fast, smooth and fun.

You should give up masturbating whilst posting, makes for difficult reading. :huh:

Wonder why manual trans performance guys are fitting sequential gear shift systems. :unsure:

Why, cos they want the box to operate like a prepped auto, never miss a gear, no fishing around for a gear, never in finding the wrong gear.

They do it because they want the qualities of an auto you mention but with the response and durability of a manual that's why!

Sequential transmissions are not autos, they're clutch less semi-automatics that still need to be shifted manually. Which was another thing mentioned he has paddle shifters why is that you suppose? Because they're quicker and more responsive but in that mode it isn't an auto anymore..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Correct ,but a Truck Auto Box ain't prepped is it . !! . Its designed to get Vegetables to Market. and Haulin Loads. :o

Well, the definition of an "average" car is kind of elastic. OK, my "average" car is an AUDI S5 (V6 3000 cc, kompressor, 7 ratio DSG, 4-wheel drive).

Warp, you really should try to drive one of these new generation DSG equipped cars and see for yourself how fast they shift, how intelligent the software predicts your driving etc. I could write pages here, but there is nothing like really driving it an experiencing it.

And no, I don't brake with my left foot, I haven't developed the feeling for that. But when I lift in "Dynamic" mode, there is no up-shifting, which you are probably used to from American type of planetoid auto gearbox. It keeps the gear for instant response to the throttle. It also leaves me with the choice of simply flooring, causing the DSG to shift back if necessary or manually shift with the shift-paddles behind the steering wheel. Usually I just let the gearbox do its job, no need to intervene manually. The shifting back, say from 4th to 3rd goes in a fraction of a second, because all it does is open one clutch (the one for 4th gear) and close the other clutch (the one for 3rd gear).

You see a DSG kind of gearbox is actually 2 gearboxes and 2 clutches. Gearbox No. 1 is for the rations 1, 3, 5 and 7. And gearbox No 2 is for rations 2, 4, 6 and reverse. When starting, gearbox 1 is in ratio 1 and gearbox is in ratio 2. So when you need to shift, it simply opens the first clutch and closes the 2nd, after which gearbox 1 already selects ratio 3 for the next shifting.

:cheesy: :cheesy: I get it now! You're a comedian by profession!! Or you just fell off the proverbial turnip truck there Bubba. Hint; keep your day job :rolleyes: ....

I've driven them all so you can get off that stupid idea, and most in real life competition you'll never understand, I am also a professional performance driving instructor and instruct people in their own cars which means I've driven cars you can only dream of, me too for that matter but at least I've still track driven them at speeds you'll never see either, so answer this, why do you have paddle shifters?? Rhetorical question BTW I just want to see if you really have any idea of what you speak or are just reading howitworks.com?

Answer this too, how do you get your transmission to engine brake at a higher RPM without using the paddle shifters? Another rhetorical question BTW..

I also find it very funny...... Hysterical actually that you can't even master left foot braking with a DSG auto and yet you come here to make comments and preach to a professional driver who can and does do it on all transmission set ups and on street manuals I heel and toe and left foot brake, another reason an average street auto will never out-shift my reactions..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Correct ,but a Truck Auto Box ain't prepped is it . !! . Its designed to get Vegetables to Market. and Haulin Loads. :o

Yeah they're having trouble understanding that concept while moving the goal posts considerably :rolleyes: ..

:cheesy: :cheesy: I get it now! You're a comedian by profession!! Or you just fell off the proverbial turnip truck there Bubba. Hint; keep your day job :rolleyes: ....

I've driven them all so you can get off that stupid idea, and most in real life competition you'll never understand, I am also a professional performance driving instructor and instruct people in their own cars which means I've driven cars you can only dream of, me too for that matter but at least I've still track driven them at speeds you'll never see either, so answer this, why do you have paddle shifters?? Rhetorical question BTW I just want to see if you really have any idea of what you speak or are just reading howitworks.com?

You forgot to mention you were an Astronaut too.:rolleyes:

:lol:

You forgot to mention you were an Astronaut too.:rolleyes:

:lol:

More envy T/A?? Losing again so the flames come out? You forgot to mention you're a simple rice farmer so what of it :rolleyes: ?? When you coming to Bangkok to back up your claims in your Toy Vigo :whistling: ? Even in my severally restricted,tired 1.8l 8v SEAT I'll give you private driving lessons.. I will use the benzine and not the LP mode though :rolleyes: ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Answer this too, how do you get your transmission to engine brake at a higher RPM without using the paddle shifters? Another rhetorical question BTW..

Your reply suggests that you may have never experienced a car with a DSG gearbox. So go drive one and then get back. Personal attacks won't change facts, but show a lack of arguments.

I don't mean to brag, but I have not only driven but owned cars most people only dream of. And I drove them all on the racetracks.

As to your second question, not sure I understood it. Do you mean, how does a DSG shift back by itself (i.e. without me pulling the paddles)?

Well I don't know how it does it, but my DSG when in "Dynamic" mode actually shifts back when I break, all by itself.

:cheesy: I get it now! You're a comedian by profession!! Or you just fell off the proverbial turnip truck there Bubba. Hint; keep your day job :rolleyes: ....

Your reply suggests that you may have never experienced a car with a DSG gearbox. So go drive one and then get back. Personal attacks won't change facts, but show a lack of arguments.

I don't mean to brag, but I have not only driven but owned cars most people only dream of. And I drove them all on the racetracks.

As to your second question, not sure I understood it. Do you mean, how does a DSG shift back by itself (i.e. without me pulling the paddles)?

Well I don't know how it does it, but my DSG when in "Dynamic" mode actually shifts back when I break, all by itself.

Your replies indicate that you're thicker then a box of rocks with no ability to comprehend a simple post.. How does one argue with a wall? Rhetorical question, one can't, so I don't bother trying which is why I have to break off so many discussions here..

Rank amateurs :rolleyes: ..

Yes I used to run around those types of Ferrari drivers all the time on track days in my VW Rabbit GTI, :cheesy: :cheesy: that's a Golf for those Euros here, or worse yet in some poor blokes Hyundai I was instructing in... They think they're some kind of driver yes they do until they're humbled by a simple GTI that is!! :cheesy: :cheesy:

Edited by WarpSpeed

A certain guy with all the BS about driving stuff is based around a race career of racing a VW Polo (or something similar). Super cars, hmmmmmm, no, don't think so, so is stuck in the old world of shifter wrestling and is clearly not up to date with the modern trans and shifter technology. :(

Like to add that the worse car l have ever driven was a Ferrari Daytona, the clutch pedal was so heavy one had to be pre-prepared for the operation and the metal shifter guide you had to look at to change gear, no way one would out shift an auto.

Edited by transam

Who would that be then?? Another box of rocks is it? VW exclusively is it? You must know this member very well personally to have such insider info <_< ..

Ferrari Daytona?? Now who's dating themselves and the technology :cheesy: :cheesy:?? :rolleyes: JFYI that shifter is based on the Hurst shifter of the time you should be well familiar with which was the bomb for NOT missing gears for the skilled track driver, what does that say about your skills then :whistling: ?

Edited by WarpSpeed

Who would that be then?? Another box of rocks is it? VW exclusively is it? You must know this member very well personally to have such insider info <_< ..

Ferrari Daytona?? Now who's dating themselves and the technology :cheesy: :cheesy:?? :rolleyes: JFYI that shifter is based on the Hurst shifter of the time you should be well familiar with which was the bomb for NOT missing gears for the skilled track driver, what does that say about your skills then :whistling: ?

Actually it was a 1973 ride and at that time you could tweak a Yank auto to out shift even our modern day manuals, even with Superwarp driving. :D

A certain guy with all the BS about driving stuff is based around a race career of racing a VW Polo (or something similar). Super cars, hmmmmmm, no, don't think so, so is stuck in the old world of shifter wrestling and is clearly not up to date with the modern trans and shifter technology. :(

Like to add that the worse car l have ever driven was a Ferrari Daytona, the clutch pedal was so heavy one had to be pre-prepared for the operation and the metal shifter guide you had to look at to change gear, no way one would out shift an auto.

Agree with you, transam, the Daytona was a truck to drive.

I drove a couple of time its rival at that time the Lamborghini Miura SV. White knuckle job above 240 kmh. The car just wasn't stable at high speed, too much lift on the front wheels (contrary to the Daytona). The gear was also a gate type and the clutch heavy. But the sound right behind your ears ... a symphony with 12 cylinders.

Let's face it, these supercars of the 70ties were not always fun to drive, but gave you a lot of satisfaction from the feeling of having mastered them, and also a lot of sweat (no air-con in the Miura!). I still remember the horror of driving such a car in the city in a stop-and-go traffic. My left leg was shaking. Nothing for the little lady.

Agree with you, transam, the Daytona was a truck to drive.

I drove a couple of time its rival at that time the Lamborghini Miura SV. White knuckle job above 240 kmh. The car just wasn't stable at high speed, too much lift on the front wheels (contrary to the Daytona). The gear was also a gate type and the clutch heavy. But the sound right behind your ears ... a symphony with 12 cylinders.

Let's face it, these supercars of the 70ties were not always fun to drive, but gave you a lot of satisfaction from the feeling of having mastered them, and also a lot of sweat (no air-con in the Miura!). I still remember the horror of driving such a car in the city in a stop-and-go traffic. My left leg was shaking. Nothing for the little lady.

I am glad we talk on the same planet and experience. Rock on. :)

• 2 weeks later...