Pls Add Your View On Automatic Transmission + Comfort

THAIPHUKET

Auto in a car fine. In a pick-up never.

Agree with Gary A.

I am not willing to give up the horsepower a slushbox wastes. Real men drive sticks.

Not about HP in an auto truck, it's about low RPM torque. My auto Vigo at the stop light drags see's off EVERY manual truck, no question, never been beat. Some here are blinkered in their macho madness. :lol:

Mr & Mrs average cannot shift as quick as a modern auto, period. Slush boxes are a thing of the past.

Must be that super HP chip you have and your wealth of driving skill, :lol:

The cheap chip raised low RPM torque from 363 to 400 ft/lbs torque. Cool eh.

Driving skill, nooooooooo, don't have that. Well, l don't think so, but my range of UK driving licenses perhaps say's l do.:)

440Nm at 1400-3200rpm as I recall, at least sufficient to take off with hot wheels :D

throw 7 baht of ice cubes on the intercooler and....

wonder how Rangers 6 speed Getrag auto will handle the 3,2s 600Nm

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Auto in a car fine. In a pick-up never.

Agree with Gary A.

I am not willing to give up the horsepower a slushbox wastes. Real men drive sticks.

yeah right! real men who live by the beliefs of yesteryear when they were boys and possess a wealth of "no technical knowledge" :lol:

The autos are great for a family/city car but for fun in small diesel performances truck forget the autos they arent yet up to the task and can not take the torque or abuse a stick will.

Total nonsense. :rolleyes:

How many autos are running in the 2.5 to 3.0 diesel drags in Thailand.

how many autos are in the super truck series.

Ask MPI why he got rid of his auto in his monster triton.

B)

I prefer auto's, my old pickup was manual and that just a pain in the ass to drive, its replacement was identical except auto and it much better to drive and no prbs with traffic light battles either, pull it into first and stomp on the brake and throttle, when the light goes green get off the brake pedal and your goooooooone.

All my high HP cars in oz were also auto's, nothing like a grumpy cammed v8 or a highly strung turbo'd 6 with a big stall converter and full manual valve body in the trans.

yeah right! real men who live by the beliefs of yesteryear when they were boys and possess a wealth of "no technical knowledge" :lol:

The autos are great for a family/city car but for fun in small diesel performances truck forget the autos they arent yet up to the task and can not take the torque or abuse a stick will.

Total nonsense. :rolleyes:

How many autos are running in the 2.5 to 3.0 diesel drags in Thailand.

how many autos are in the super truck series.

Ask MPI why he got rid of his auto in his monster triton.

B)

You are now talking about RACING aren't you, yes/no. Different ball game cos they don't know how to modify an auto trans OR the upgrade parts are not available for the purpose.

V8 drag racing. NOOOOOO stock manual box is up to it. GM TH 400 can handle 1000 HP with a few mods, 6 SECOND 1/4 milers run a 1950's designed GM Powerglide 2 speed auto with a few mod's. As l said before, do your homework. :rolleyes:

my worst manual ever must have been a Dodge Ram 5,9 cummins 6-speed. heavy duty clutch, long shifts, super high tourque and very short powerband, 1400-2800 rpm as I recall. Shifting all the time to keep it below max rpm, and loong heavy clutch.

and what a dream to swap it next year for same truck/engine with auto :D

In Australia I had a Lexus is300 with auto trans but with levers on steering wheel where you could make gearbox up shift or down shift. Great transmission and blazing fast response... Id get one again any day. Im sure more models than Lexus have it but steering wheel mounted made twisty road driving real fun.

Cheers

440/600 nm of torque you are still way down line on performance diesel figures for 2.5 or 3.0.

yes

but it remains a smooth engine with max tourque at 1400-3200rpm, and I keep warranty :)

and i dont really need more than 260hp/600Nm, and i dont think the auto wants to handle more

You are now talking about RACING aren't you, yes/no. Different ball game cos they don't know how to modify an auto trans OR the upgrade parts are not available for the purpose.

V8 drag racing. NOOOOOO stock manual box is up to it. GM TH 400 can handle 1000 HP with a few mods, 6 SECOND 1/4 milers run a 1950's designed GM Powerglide 2 speed auto with a few mod's. As l said before, do your homework. :rolleyes:

I think you should be doing your home work :lol:

I guess you dont know anything Thailand drags or super trucks most run standard boxes and now you are bring in full drag boxes that have nothing to do with your diesel auto truck other than in your dreams but carry on and make a excuse for comparing standard boxes to modified drag autos.

Edited by Shocktreatment

In Australia I had a Lexus is300 with auto trans but with levers on steering wheel where you could make gearbox up shift or down shift. Great transmission and blazing fast response... Id get one again any day. Im sure more models than Lexus have it but steering wheel mounted made twisty road driving real fun.

Cheers

You talk sense to the non believers here. BUT l can accept they are living in the past with their Morris Marina's. :lol:

my worst manual ever must have been a Dodge Ram 5,9 cummins 6-speed. heavy duty clutch, long shifts, super high tourque and very short powerband, 1400-2800 rpm as I recall. Shifting all the time to keep it below max rpm, and loong heavy clutch.

and what a dream to swap it next year for same truck/engine with auto :D

My worst outbursts your worst .. A Mercedes G Waggon. It only engaged gear for Geoff Capes. Second worst . The First Audi 90.Series.:o

I guess you dont know anything Thailand drags or super trucks most run standard boxes and now you are bring in full drag boxes that have nothing to do with your diesel auto truck other than in your dreams but carry on and make a excuse for comparing standard boxes to modified drag autos.

Think you should re-write that cos l don't understand what your saying. YOU brought up drag trucks in LOS. :rolleyes:

440/600 nm of torque you are still way down line on performance diesel figures for 2.5 or 3.0.

yes

but it remains a smooth engine with max tourque at 1400-3200rpm, and I keep warranty :)

and i dont really need more than 260hp/600Nm, and i dont think the auto wants to handle more

I ran a manual box at 360hp and around 740 nm for 8 months with out a problem. I dont think any Thai diesel standard auto would take that abuse

Yes but I was under the impression you new some thing about Thailand perfomance diesels, but its very plain to see you dont so carry on with your V8 drag autos.

You are moving the goal posts. AGAIN. Go back to your original waffle about truck auto's. YOU are now talking about race cars and l am talking about an auto in a Truck. YOU say they are useless and l say you don't know what you are talking about. My drag reference is a response to your waffle, but carry on cos l have been there, and done that.

Take your time, come up with something constructive about STOCK rides, auto or manual. :)

Yes but I was under the impression you new some thing about Thailand perfomance diesels, but its very plain to see you dont so carry on with your V8 drag autos.

You are moving the goal posts. AGAIN. Go back to your original waffle about truck auto's. YOU are now talking about race cars and l am talking about an auto in a Truck. YOU say they are useless and l say you don't know what you are talking about. My drag reference is a response to your waffle, but carry on cos l have been there, and done that.

Take your time, come up with something constructive about STOCK rides, auto or manual. :)

Yes but most of these trucks are running standard manual boxes not modified drag boxes :rolleyes: , If the new autos were up to the abuse of the manual and change gear as you say faster and take off faster why arent they running them in Thailands diesel motor sports.

Autos are fine in a family truck but once you get into street diesel performance they arent yet upto the abuse of the manual, really simple it is. Even your friend Katabum said the autos arent built to take to much torque unlike the manuals which can take a 100% increase in torque and not burn up.

All things I mentioned are in Thailand diesel trucks, your so way of tap your in a 1000hp auto :crazy:

Edited by Shocktreatment

Yes but most of these trucks are running standard manual boxes not modified drag boxes :rolleyes: , If the new autos were up to the abuse of the manual and change gear as you say faster and take off faster why arent they running them in Thailands diesel motor sports.

Autos are fine in a family truck but once you get into street diesel performance they arent yet upto the abuse of the manual, really simple it is. Even your friend Katabum said the autos arent built to take to much torque unlike the manuals which can take a 100% increase in torque and not burn up.

All things I mentioned are in Thailand diesel trucks, your so way of tap your in a 1000hp auto :crazy:

You are STILL talking about RACE stuff. YOU said auto's in trucks are crap, which is a nonsense. ANY auto can be modified for race use, period.

The USA is the drag race capital of the world, 90% use auto's, WHY.

Here we are talking about street rides and l have NEVER heard any member here complain about his/her auto Vigo. In fact every one praises them. :)

yes

I ran a manual box at 360hp and around 740 nm for 8 months with out a problem. I dont think any Thai diesel standard auto would take that abuse

My Thai diesel standard auto is a jatco box, A jatco will handle the torque and HP you talk of just maybe not reliably for any length of time in a 1.8 ton pickup without a decent cooler, however with small mods it will not have issue at all.

Edited by Spoonman

You are STILL talking about RACE stuff. YOU said auto's in trucks are crap, which is a nonsense. ANY auto can be modified for race use, period.

The USA is the drag race capital of the world, 90% use auto's, WHY.

Here we are talking about street rides and l have NEVER heard any member here complain about his/her auto Vigo. In fact every one praises them. :)

Now you are making stuff up, I said they are good for the city and a family car, they arent any good for performance diesels yes your race chip may impress you put it isnt a performance diesel :whistling: For me I like performance in my truck which rules the auto out for me. But do own two other cars with autos as the wife drives them.

Again I am talking about Thailand standard auto manual boxes in street trucks, just happens that the use them in racing as well, doesnt change the fact that the manual is stronger.

yes

My Thai diesel standard auto is a jatco box, A jatco will handle the torque and HP you talk of just maybe not reliably for any length of time in a 1.8 ton pickup without a decent cooler, however with small mods it will not have issue at all.

Was about 8,000 klm in 8 months on a pickup that already had 8,000 klm on it and the gearbox was still in one piece unlike the 3 sets of tires :lol: that was stock standard

And a auto box in the diesel truck range will start to slip at 550 to 600 nm

Edited by Shocktreatment

Was about 8,000 klm in 8 months on a pickup that already had 8,000 klm on it and the gearbox was still in one piece unlike the 3 sets of tires :lol:

35km a day, you sure put the fear of god into it didn't you, I reckon my standard Jatco would easily survive your quoted HP and torque just doing 35km a day, leave it D and it the only issue it will have is heat hence a decent cooler is needed, it'll still smoke the bags in D.

WarpSpeed: I love a manual in the city too, while everyone else is waiting for their autos to kick in to a passing gear...

your experience seems to be based on driving that 1951 model you owned many rainy seasons ago and who's warp core was defective :lol:

modern automatics switch much faster than you can move your tired arms and feet! not to talk about the six-speed auto gearboxes already available (Porsche, BMW, Audi and Mercedes) and the seven-speed to be presented next month at the fair in Frankfurt :jap:

Horse pucks!! No they don't!! Let's not get all foolish comparing every baseline automatic Toyota of the millions here to top line expensive autos now, let's try keep the discussion down to earth and not in the clouds shall we?...

Was about 8,000 klm in 8 months on a pickup that already had 8,000 klm on it and the gearbox was still in one piece unlike the 3 sets of tires :lol:

35km a day, you sure put the fear of god into it didn't you, I reckon my standard Jatco would easily survive your quoted HP and torque just doing 35km a day, leave it D and it the only issue it will have is heat hence a decent cooler is needed, it'll still smoke the bags in D.

You recon or you know ?

Really its around 70 klm a day as I work away and drove the truck hard with hi boost but I really dont think your standard auto will take over 600 nm.

WarpSpeed: I love a manual in the city too, while everyone else is waiting for their autos to kick in to a passing gear...

your experience seems to be based on driving that 1951 model you owned many rainy seasons ago and who's warp core was defective :lol:

modern automatics switch much faster than you can move your tired arms and feet! not to talk about the six-speed auto gearboxes already available (Porsche, BMW, Audi and Mercedes) and the seven-speed to be presented next month at the fair in Frankfurt :jap:

Horse pucks!! No they don't!! Let's not get all foolish comparing every baseline automatic Toyota of the millions here to top line expensive autos now, let's try keep the discussion down to earth and not in the clouds shall we?...

Just the reply l would expect from you who has never driven a 4x4 Vigo auto. :rolleyes:

Are Truc Autoboxes from the Toyo Cars,but with lower gearing to enable the 1Ton carrying capacity to do a standing start on a hill.?. From a Camry for example.First gear seems very low to me,they scream and go nowhere when i watch them leave traffic lights,second seems to be the go go gear.

You recon or you know ?

A 4n71b will do it with a decent trans cooler and lock up converter.

You recon or you know ?

A 4n71b will do it with a decent trans cooler and lock up converter.

So which Thai diesel truck does this run in.

I love a manual in the city too, while everyone else is waiting for their autos to kick in to a passing gear to change lanes or something mine is just point and squirt, I love it, can anticipate openings and no hesitation like the autos, get to a light and once stopped, no brakes, just relax, rolling is bit of a PITA when traffic is neither stopped nor moving well but it's good, cheap exercise and keeps your legs in good condition and your blood flowing to your legs which is important while sitting a lot like........... Driving for example..

Sounds like you haven't driven an auto ride in a very long time. :D

Yeah, at least a year or 2? Have they changed that much already?? :rolleyes:

I forgot to include that a manual is much better for these small bore under powered engines to give them much better performance and response.

I see a turn coming I go down a gear or two and go through in the gear I choose, no autos allow you to anticipate like a manual except high end cars such as Ferrari as only one example and when you do have one that you can do that with the tranny is still not as strong and has to allow it to slip some to prevent it from failing or over locking.

a dsg box like in Fiesta, provides less fuel consumption than manual gear/clutch, thus more efficient

and it shifts faster than you and me

been a manual driver since I started using my mums car at age of 16, but with modern dsg tech I do not see the point of manual any more. Neither does Ferrari

as for OPs question, I am not fond of the cvt autos, feels od with engine at same rpm most of the time, but as they are cheap I do see the point in them. Cvt are also very comfy, no noticable shift point. Try a Nissan Teana 2,5 V6 cvt for a smooth experience :)

You people are not getting it as usual!!!! It's so frustrating trying to communicate with mere mortals :( It's not about shifiting faster that is part of the problem with auto's they shift for economy not performance which is what I want, I could care less if it shifts fast it will not out-shift me because I decide when to shift and at what Rpm's or when not to which is based on the traffic I see ahead of me and reading the traffic which my car can not do and won't do until I put my foot down in the case of an automatic, where as if I see an opening developing and I downshift before applying the throttle and the engine is already to speed to move into the gap.. Even the DSG autos resist this when the car is at certain Rpm's it deems inefficient or potentially damaging for the average Joe driver on the streets and either won't down shift or shifts back on it's own, so there is no way a stock automatic in these level of cars will ever outshift me in a manual nor will ANY driver not even super T/A the drag racer in his hot Vigo!!..

Just the reply l would expect from you who has never driven a 4x4 Vigo auto. :rolleyes:

Except that as usual, you've made another incorrect assumption as I certainly have..

So which Thai diesel truck does this run in.

Not sure but it is a heavy duty 4 pinion box found in turbo cars, might already be in mine but if it is not bell-housings are interchangeable.

EDIT: A mate just replied to an sms message, he is pushing 370hp and 550nm through the jatco box in his colorado and has done for 3 yrs now, it is a daily driver.

Edited by Spoonman