Pls Add Your View On Automatic Transmission + Comfort

THAIPHUKET

Me

The autos are great for a family/city car but for fun in small diesel performances truck forget the autos they arent yet up to the task and can not take the torque or abuse a stick will.

You

Total nonsense. :rolleyes:

Me

How many autos are running in the 2.5 to 3.0 diesel drags in Thailand.

how many autos are in the super truck series.

Ask MPI why he got rid of his auto in his monster triton.

B)

You

You are now talking about RACING aren't you, yes/no. Different ball game cos they don't know how to modify an auto trans OR the upgrade parts are not available for the purpose.

V8 drag racing. NOOOOOO stock manual box is up to it. GM TH 400 can handle 1000 HP with a few mods, 6 SECOND 1/4 milers run a 1950's designed GM Powerglide 2 speed auto with a few mod's. As l said before, do your homework. :rolleyes:

I dont see me mentioning any modified boxes, do you :cheesy: All I see is Thailand related diesels but you on the other hand you are off on a 1000hp v8 :offtopic:

I suggest you go read the OP's original post and see where l am coming from. ALL MODERN STOCK AUTO's out shift manual trans for Mr & Mrs average,period.

My mention of mega horse power stuff was to try and teach you something but alas it failed. BUT, l am sure other readers understand..:)

You have no idea about Thailand performance diesels how would you teach me anything about them :lol: well lucky the figrues below show the autos slower 0-100 :D

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only auto that would be faster in this country would be the twin clutch focus/fiesta compared to it's manual counterpart (which isn't available here anyway. The fiesta auto shifts faster than you can manually shift - the rpm's drop less between gear changes in that auto. The fiesta auto woul;d be my choice for an auto here in the sub 1 million bracket.

Sorry, which one is available here, the twin clutch or the manual only?

The twin clucht sound tempting. What about overall quality, spare parts and service?

Japanese/ Korean cars seem to have a better product quality image.

All this racing and shifting fast.

Never saw this happening in bumper to bumper Thailand traffic

All in know is in an automatic I put my foot on the break-= car stops. Put my foot on the acclerator and it goes. Then i steer where I want to go.

Can't get any simpler than that.

Hahaha - good one. I had just returned from an 11 hour drive with very heavy traffic all the way from Yasothon and I just cannot for the life of me believe how idiotic some drivers in Thailand can be. Tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, pulling up to the car in front and slamming on the brakes......

Good driving is not about speed but about safety and consideration for other drivers around you. I'm not at all impressed by those drivers who sees a hole in the traffic and dives into it, whether they are driving a manual or not. To me, they are just idiots that should be kept off the roads.

Sorry about the rant but I get very worked up with high speed and reckless driving in heavy traffic.

:cheesy: Spoken like a true road block-moving chicane driver..

Spoken like one of those id****c drivers that you sometimes see flipped over on the side of the road - som na na :D

Back on topic, I sure was glad that I was doing this long bumper to bumper journey in an automatic. In a manual, I would have had to be carried out of the car due to cramps in my left leg.

Yep, only people in good condition or whom care about their conditioning should consider having one, they do require you to work a bit but that's one of their benefits not their drawbacks when you're spending so much idle time (no pun intended) not exercising but merely sitting on one's posterior..

Pumping a pedal up and down hardly qualifies as exercising. So I guess for the majority of drivers who are not racing champions like you, Automatic Transmission is the better choice. Tks for answering the original OP's post.

I am the OP and I want to thank you for your contributions.

Only that you didn't make my life/ decision easier because you didn't name one loser only 'transmission winners".

Can you help to streamline my thinking=

which car would you by today for under 1 million THB?

No pick up,

Nice to have you back.:)

Any of them in auto they are all Ok anymake.

I quite like the Chevi's

Don't forget your full race harness, and race helmet when you use it like a manual.:rolleyes:

You asked about the auto Fiesta it has good reviews and there's a thread on here about them.

Edited by Kwasaki

The OP originally asked about car auto's, but for pickups I can recommend the auto box in the double cab 3L Vigo. Just come back from our annual hols to the coast, Koh Chang this time. A 1100km round trip and the truck was a peach to drive.

If you want to observe some nutty driving, try route 317 from Chantaburi to Sa Kaew. <deleted> knows why they paint those solid yellow double lines in the middle of the road, my other half informs me it's to make the road pretty.

In a previous life I was a UK LGV driver, my last truck had a 16 speed manual (range change + splitter) gear box, the thing with truck driving is you get a hat full of gears to play with but only need to use a few!.

The company I worked for were about to upgrade the fleet with Volvo I -shift Auto's but I had already made my decision to come and live over here!.

ph34r.gif

All in know is in an automatic I put my foot on the break-= car stops. Put my foot on the acclerator and it goes. Then i steer where I want to go.

Hahaha - good one. I had just returned from an 11 hour drive with very heavy traffic all the way from Yasothon and I just cannot for the life of me believe how idiotic some drivers in Thailand can be. Tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, pulling up to the car in front and slamming on the brakes......

Good driving is not about speed but about safety and consideration for other drivers around you. I'm not at all impressed by those drivers who sees a hole in the traffic and dives into it, whether they are driving a manual or not. To me, they are just idiots that should be kept off the roads.

Sorry about the rant but I get very worked up with high speed and reckless driving in heavy traffic.

Spoken like one of those id****c drivers that you sometimes see flipped over on the side of the road - som na na :D

Completely agree, only idiots drive as if they are racing on public roads, especially when its busy. They seem to think they are super cool when you see them out but the irony is that everyone else just thinks they are idiots :D

The only auto that would be faster in this country would be the twin clutch focus/fiesta compared to it's manual counterpart (which isn't available here anyway. The fiesta auto shifts faster than you can manually shift - the rpm's drop less between gear changes in that auto. The fiesta auto woul;d be my choice for an auto here in the sub 1 million bracket.

Sorry, which one is available here, the twin clutch or the manual only?

The twin clucht sound tempting. What about overall quality, spare parts and service?

Japanese/ Korean cars seem to have a better product quality image.

Only the twin clutch auto is available here with the 1.6 motor. There is a regular 5 speed manual that comes with the 1.4 base model sedan. I haven't done a test drive of it, but its very well built and well set out. Plenty of colours to choose from too; top model has voice activation, bluetooth and usb functionality. Some have complained about Ford's service, but it seems to depend on the particular service centre. The resale is an unknown for the fiesta, but other fords seem to have poor resale values here. The honda jazz comes closest in specification, and has more room and probably better resale. I'd drive both of them if you're considering the fiesta.

Oh! You mean those poor b'stards that get run off the road by trying to avoid those timid, incompetent drivers who should stay home under the covers instead of driving in the real world?? You know the type, they complain and whine about how fast other drivers go and how they seem to drive like idiots when it's really their own driving insecurities and shortcomings that are the issue :lol: ....

Back on topic, I sure was glad that I was doing this long bumper to bumper journey in an automatic. In a manual, I would have had to be carried out of the car due to cramps in my left leg.

Yep, only people in good condition or whom care about their conditioning should consider having one, they do require you to work a bit but that's one of their benefits not their drawbacks when you're spending so much idle time (no pun intended) not exercising but merely sitting on one's posterior..

Pumping a pedal up and down hardly qualifies as exercising. So I guess for the majority of drivers who are not racing champions like you, Automatic Transmission is the better choice. Tks for answering the original OP's post.

"Racing Champion" huh? Ummmmm, sounds good but I hear a bit of envy in your response... Then WHY is it so difficult or inconvenient for you to do?? Of course it is, it mimics several types of ACTUAL gym exercises... It exercises the entire lower body from the lower back to the calves and feet... I might also add that it does so with balance as it exercises both sides of the lower body whereas using just one leg does not.. Try simply hooking up a long bungy cord in a loop to something stationary and putting your foot through it push it out 10 times and then tell me if it isn't "excercise"..

Would you do leg presses with just one leg?? Gawwwwd! Sometimes people post without a bit of common sense applied..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Completely agree, only idiots drive as if they are racing on public roads, especially when its busy. They seem to think they are super cool when you see them out but the irony is that everyone else just thinks they are idiots :D

"Everyone" is who exactly? The 2 of you?? :cheesy: :cheesy: Or have you stopped and taken a poll?? :cheesy: Even if it's 10 of you, hardly a decisive poll init...

BTW BKKorupcountry I have answered the OP which was which one do I prefer and why..

"Everyone" is who exactly? The 2 of you?? :cheesy: :cheesy: Or have you stopped and taken a poll?? :cheesy: Even if it's 10 of you, hardly a decisive poll init...

BTW BKKorupcountry I have answered the OP which was which one do I prefer and why..

Make that 3.:rolleyes:

Where l am most of the rides with spoilers, fancy wheels, bake bean tin exhaust, stickers etc, haven't got a clue how to drive. They think they are super cool and do some very daft stuff in their rides which l see on a regular basses.

OK if we knew it was race champ Warpy behind the wheel :rolleyes: l/we might feel safe but alas it is more likely a buffalo. :huh:

Make that 3.:rolleyes:

Where l am most of the rides with spoilers, fancy wheels, bake bean tin exhaust, stickers etc, haven't got a clue how to drive. They think they are super cool and do some very daft stuff in their rides which l see on a regular basses.

OK if we knew it was race champ Warpy behind the wheel :rolleyes: l/we might feel safe but alas it is more likely a buffalo. :huh:

Ok, you win, point taken.. But I still maintain from any drivers standpoint that timid and indecisive drivers are far more dangerous then confident and decisive drivers even if at times their skill falls short of their confidence at least the driving is predictable and as a defensive driver gives you the ability to predict and possibly avoid them versus someone who may at any point drive into you for absolutely no more reason then they saw their own reflection in the windshield and suddenly freaked..

That's a skill honed and practiced on the track and most definitely applies to ALL forms of driving..

Edited by WarpSpeed

"Racing Champion" huh? Ummmmm, sounds good but I hear a bit of envy in your response... Then WHY is it so difficult or inconvenient for you to do?? Of course it is, it mimics several types of ACTUAL gym exercises... It exercises the entire lower body from the lower back to the calves and feet... I might also add that it does so with balance as it exercises both sides of the lower body whereas using just one leg does not.. Try simply hooking up a long bungy cord in a loop to something stationary and putting your foot through it push it out 10 times and then tell me if it isn't "excercise"..

Would you do leg presses with just one leg?? Gawwwwd! Sometimes people post without a bit of common sense applied..

No, no envy whatsoever as being a racing champion was never ever on my list of desires or aspirations.

Also, I wouldn't do leg presses with just one leg which is effectively what driving a manual in bumper to bumper traffic does, unless of course, being the race champion that you are, you could probably pump the clutch with your right leg and accelerate with your left whilst braking.... sorry, I forgot, you don't brake.

With regards to common sense, I will let other readers judge for themselves.

No, no envy whatsoever as being a racing champion was never ever on my list of desires or aspirations.

Also, I wouldn't do leg presses with just one leg which is effectively what driving a manual in bumper to bumper traffic does, unless of course, being the race champion that you are, you could probably pump the clutch with your right leg and accelerate with your left whilst braking.... sorry, I forgot, you don't brake.

:unsure::huh::blink: It's finally happened, you've gone completely off the rails.. Yes, let the lunatics run the asylum :cheesy: ...

Edited by WarpSpeed

:unsure::huh::blink: It's finally happened, you've gone completely off the rails.. Yes, let the lunatics run the asylum :cheesy: ...

Ooohhh..... what's that flying over the cuckoo's nest? Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Warp Speed!!!

Ut oh! Well you got me there guy :whistling: , I've no come back so witty so I'll have to concede victory to you :rolleyes: ...Now you're the Champ..

Didn't realise there was a competition. I will happily concede that you're the faster (track) driver if you concede that I'm the better (road) driver :)

Another good point. :)

My Wife has the Last Word. and i quote. They havent refined them yet have they, if they had it would have Backwards .Forwards and Stop. Yours has that many Modes its silly!!!. I have no intention of arguing. Im sure most of you know why.:D

My Prius has the bare minimum modes - R, N, D and P (oh, also a B for engine regenerative braking on steep downhills).

My Wife has the Last Word. and i quote. They havent refined them yet have they, if they had it would have Backwards .Forwards and Stop. Yours has that many Modes its silly!!!. I have no intention of arguing. Im sure most of you know why.:D

Need one more.....sideways to stop all that handwaving and whistling they do when you park.

Ut oh! Well you got me there guy :whistling: , I've no come back so witty so I'll have to concede victory to you :rolleyes: ...Now you're the Champ..

Didn't realise there was a competition. I will happily concede that you're the faster (track) driver if you concede that I'm the better (road) driver :)

Not on your life buddy!!! Not on any surface be it paved or otherwise..

:rolleyes:, Now how did l guess that that would be your reply. :rolleyes:

More shock you'd see that as another good point.....Not an accident in more then 35 years of driving including across Europe too and 8 years here and only 2 serious accidents (meaning equipment retiring incidents) due to equipment failure on the track and less then a handful of even minor incidents at speed in competition there's few street drivers that can match that sort of record even in just daily driving..

:rolleyes:, Now how did l guess that that would be your reply. :rolleyes:

Because even YOU knew how completely moronic the claim was..

More shock you'd see that as another good point.....Not an accident in more then 35 years of driving including across Europe too and 8 years here and only 2 serious accidents (meaning equipment retiring incidents) due to equipment failure on the track and less then a handful of even minor incidents at speed in competition there's few street drivers that can match that sort of record even in just daily driving..

Reminds me of that old lady that has never had an accident in 60 yrs of driving but she sees an accident behind her every time she looked in her rear view mirror :)