Aluminum Stock & Tig Welding

TongueThaied

Can anybody give me a location of a shop in Chiang Mai where I can buy rectangular tube aluminum stock (approx. 1" x 2" x 5 or 6 mm)? Also, a shop that has a TIG welder and knows how to use it? I have a simple design for a light weight trailer frame, but need both of the above to bring it to reality. I live in Phitsanulok, but I think trying to find this stuff here is wishful thinking . . .

GPS coordinates would be dandy!

Hi 'Tongue Thaied' first thing, sorry, I don't know where toget the material, however I don't think you will have to much of a problem finding them, the aluminum from a steel stockiest and the TIG set from an industrial tool shop or super store.

From what you say, you have little or no experience with TIG welding, I would leave it alone, TIG welding is, the best finished but in my opinion the hardest to get right…….And that's with mild steel, you want to use aluminum. TIG welding with aluminum with no experience will be difficult.

I would suggest the following; draw your plans up and go to a fab-shop and get a quote, simple. If that comes off a little pricy, get a quote for labor only, buy the material yourself, even doing the cutting yourself.

Good luck

Edited by Tonto21

Okay, I guess i was not clear. What I amn looking for is a shop that sells aluminum stock AND a shop that does fabrication work. If the fabriction shop has a TIG welder and knows how to use it, the job will be of highest quality.

My plan was to buy the material and take it to the fabrication shop with my blueprint for fabrication by them. Any ideas on location?

OK, yes sorry I misunderstood you. I can't really help as to location of a Fab shop. I don't think you would find any around the moat or old part of town, I would suggest you take a drive out of the city, (try the road soff the the super high way) they are out there I've seen loads, but have no experienceof using any of them.

Sorry I can't tell you much more, ideally you could do with a Thai friend to help you with the language barrier. I would also recommend you be there when they fabricate and weld, to watch what's going on.

Good luck.

Edited by Tonto21

You might check with the shop mentioned on this thread - http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry3721674

Thanks! Perfect, that's exactly what I was looking for. I live in Phit'lok, so I cannot just cruise around looking for a shop in CM. I have probably been to the shop you mention, as I has some steel MC frame welding done in CM last year. The guy was great, but am not sure he does aluminum. I'll find out if it is the same shop soon.