Thai Drivers

midas

It doesn't concern me if Thai drivers are considerate or not. They are what they are and you just have to pay attention 100% of the time and always expect the unexpected. I have no control of anyone but myself. What others choose to be does not concern me. I just have to adjust my thinking to account for others if I want to stay reasonably safe. It only takes a moment of not paying attention for something bad to happen. That is true no matter where in the world you are driving.

Quite. But at least here you KNOW they will turn left into a major road without looking.

It works, as long as everybody expects the worst.

The only time I thought I was going to die when some old farang on a motorbike turned in front of me without bothering to look or indicate.

At least the Thais have some idea what is going on around them.

Sorry, I'm still really pissed off at this old Western guy (with old Thai on the back) that hadn't noticed my bike doing 90+ in the fast lane. He needs to stop driving.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....after a few years of driving here, they have there own way of driving and it OK once you get it.

Exactly. Once you figure it out, there really is a rhyme and reason to what might appear like madness. But if you don't figure it out...then I guess you come on TV and whine your ass off.

So Berkshire is proud to drive like a Thai........nice to set yourself such high standards.

Do you have reading comprehension problems, or are you just inherently dishonest? Perhaps you can explain to me where "proud" enters into my comments. Oh I see: If I'm not pissing on the Thais, then there must be something wrong with me. You've got some issues, dude.

Well I see this thread is still going strong. Hope it is making some people feel better. coffee1.gif

So lets recap 11 pages. What has it changed? Are the "Most inconsiderate Thai drivers" better now? Were new laws released to change it to your personal liking and expectations of your home country? Do you feel safer and more secure now? Did you make some new friends on TV that agree with your personal assessments about Thai's and their lower level of education or inabilities to think like "Other more civilized" humans?

Most of the specific examples about witnessed driving behaviors or mechanical shortcomings are truthful, Is it different then your home country? Probably so. One way to avoid it all is take public transportation. It is readily available for the few that think it is so bad they just cannot let it go.

I have no problem driving here and have just adapted, in both car and on my motorcycle. Some of us in this thread see the reality. Others do not.

If you feel you want to reform Thailand to meet global standards of driving, I say join a committee, get a petition started, picket at stops signs or congregate at the door steps of the Thailand Govt building. I understand some have a passion.

For the others, Join the party. Jump in, the water is warm.......Get in your car, buckle up( for the few of you scared to death buy a helmet). Drive with both hands on the wheels unless you are a daredevil like me and drive with one. Always be on your toes. Pretty soon you will not even notice whats going on which is what the greatest majority of the people on the planet do in every country when driving.

Shocking incident with the pilot getting shot, but as far as I know very rare. As I read that article, the one in three figure comnes from the UK. In my experience most "road rage" in the UK involves shouting and waving arms, but very seldom deadly force.

Given the relative standard of driving here it is to the credit of the Thai "jai yen" demeanour that there aren't far more road rage incidents here. I reckon there was a good half dozen from me on Sunday. Fortunately my own brand of road rage just means my girlfriend gets a lesson in expressive use of the English language, rather than anyone getting shot, stabbed or rammed off the road.

did you see this one from yesterday ? i wonder how many are carrying guns under their seats ?

Truck Driver shot dead in road rage incident close to Pattaya

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/38433/truck-driver-shot-dead-in-road-rage-incident-close-to-pattaya/

In all these posts ,I have not seen one reference to "How to learn to drive" ,.In our Western home countries, we were not the first generation of drivers. We did not have to deal with the traffic jams of today, when we learnt to drive. We almost all of us ,learnt in a driving school.How many driving schools in Thailand?. Thai drivers are nearly all self taught. -FIRST generation drivers. When I got my Thai driving licence ,about 14 years ago, I took public transport to the Land transport testing. They asked me "Where is your car" To which ,in my naivete ,I replied ,I have not got a licence, so I cannot drive". Instant GALES of laughter. From the assembled throng. Stupid Farang !!!!!. I hired a car ,did all the tests> Have to say . it was the most idiotic driving test ,I have ever seen. How anyone could fail it, totally beats me, But they do. In those days ,if you failed ,you went out the front gate ,to a little "box'and some very kind person , for the sum of B500 ,would issue you a licence ,which a few days later ,found its way on to the computer, so that you were now a fully legal driver. So, there are 2 significant problems, driving here.(1) The total lack of driver education ,and (2) the total lack of PROPER law -enforcement. "Law enforcement", here is about contributing to your favourite charity, often near the end of the month, when there is no "Whisky In The Jar"

Well I see this thread is still going strong. Hope it is making some people feel better. coffee1.gif

So lets recap 11 pages. What has it changed? Are the "Most inconsiderate Thai drivers" better now? Were new laws released to change it to your personal liking and expectations of your home country? Do you feel safer and more secure now? Did you make some new friends on TV that agree with your personal assessments about Thai's and their lower level of education or inabilities to think like "Other more civilized" humans?

Most of the specific examples about witnessed driving behaviors or mechanical shortcomings are truthful, Is it different then your home country? Probably so. One way to avoid it all is take public transportation. It is readily available for the few that think it is so bad they just cannot let it go.

I have no problem driving here and have just adapted, in both car and on my motorcycle. Some of us in this thread see the reality. Others do not.

If you feel you want to reform Thailand to meet global standards of driving, I say join a committee, get a petition started, picket at stops signs or congregate at the door steps of the Thailand Govt building. I understand some have a passion.

For the others, Join the party. Jump in, the water is warm.......Get in your car, buckle up( for the few of you scared to death buy a helmet). Drive with both hands on the wheels unless you are a daredevil like me and drive with one. Always be on your toes. Pretty soon you will not even notice whats going on which is what the greatest majority of the people on the planet do in every country when driving.

" Some of us in this thread see the reality "

This set of car crash photos contains some quality skull crushing and brain spillage. Thai drivers are not mindful of other traffic participants so deadly car crashes are a norm.

[link deleted]

Edited by metisdead
Link to site containing objectionable content deleted. See forum rule 17.

Shocking incident with the pilot getting shot, but as far as I know very rare. As I read that article, the one in three figure comnes from the UK. In my experience most "road rage" in the UK involves shouting and waving arms, but very seldom deadly force.

Given the relative standard of driving here it is to the credit of the Thai "jai yen" demeanour that there aren't far more road rage incidents here. I reckon there was a good half dozen from me on Sunday. Fortunately my own brand of road rage just means my girlfriend gets a lesson in expressive use of the English language, rather than anyone getting shot, stabbed or rammed off the road.

did you see this one from yesterday ? i wonder how many are carrying guns under their seats ?

Truck Driver shot dead in road rage incident close to Pattaya

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/38433/truck-driver-shot-dead-in-road-rage-incident-close-to-pattaya/

My ex girlfriends brother is a cop, he always drives with his gun at the back of his seat.

jb1

^ Ohhh let me dig up some California Highway patrol Mag pics.....We can do this all day long. Your point is moot.

But that would be off topic wouldn't it ? :whistling:

Sure would be. But you referencing articles like it does not happen anywhere else in the world is assnine. Why I said your point is moot. We could do that all day long from every country. There are horrific accidents everywhere all the time every day, Thailand too.

whistling.gifwhistling.gif

^ Ohhh let me dig up some California Highway patrol Mag pics.....We can do this all day long. Your point is moot.

Sure would be. But you referencing articles like it does not happen anywhere else in the world is assnine. Why I said your point is moot. We could do that all day long from every country. There are horrific accidents everywhere all the time every day, Thailand too.

as someone who persistently seems to compare driving conditions in Thailand to California may I ask you

do you think it is ok for the traffic police to accept bribes as often as they do?

I mean in all the times I have driven on the Los Angeles freeways I have noticed that the highway patrol

officers actually do their job. Do you think that could make even the slightest bit of difference

in Thailand? Having some meaningful law enforcement on the roads knowing that you cannot buy your way out?

as someone who persistently seems to compare driving conditions in Thailand to California may I ask you

do you think it is ok for the traffic police to accept bribes as often as they do?

I mean in all the times I have driven on the Los Angeles freeways I have noticed that the highway patrol

officers actually do their job. Do you think that could make even the slightest bit of difference

in Thailand? Having some meaningful law enforcement on the roads knowing that you cannot buy your way out?

No I do not think its Ok to extort drivers here or anywhere. Would a better policing agency make it better here; possibly. Better driver education; most definitely.

I left the US to get away from relentless governing. I know that it is not perfect here but I have adapted and do not even pay attention to it anymore nor do I judge the Thai's and their methods. My point is, bashing Thai's for operating within their system is silly. It is what it is. Make corrections to the system then maybe you will see a shift in driving behaviors. In the US we have road signs that say "Slippery when wet", we have signs that say "Chains required", "sharp turns ahead", Reduce speed etc. Do people heed the road signs? Nope, hence why there are nasty driving fatalities all the time like the one a few months back where some 42 cars piled up on each other on Interstate 5. How does that happen? So what does that say about a system that is so 'far advanced, so heavily policed with far more educated drivers"? Actually makes it worse doesn't it? With all the rules and education it should be a perfect world driving in the US...Right?

As for referencing California FWIIW, My brother is a CHP and I have know a lot of them. I have been on many a ride-along's and witnessed horrific accidents. Children decapitated. Bodies thrown all over the road, bodies burned beyond recognition. As a Volunteer fireman I have assisted in many accidents. So pointing out horrific scenes here in Thailand(While sad I agree) are nothing that does not happen all over the world. There are "Darwin" candidates globally and they surface as we read.

First of all I want to point out that this is the kind of topic that has the potential to upset certain people despite the debate being held within the realms of TV rules. I have even seen posters ended up being accused for racism when they point out that Thai people are bad drivers. Personally, I think Thai drivers suck. Big time. They are by far the worst drivers I've experienced anywhere. And every piece of statistics agree – at least if driving skills are measured by the number of people killed and injured per capita.

It is a fact that Thailand suffers from a seriously high number of road fatalities per capita. I cant see the reason why anyone would be offended when someone presents facts. This "total pigheaded unwillingness to look facts in the face" doesn't do any good at all, to be honest.

Surely there isn't anyone here stupid enough to believe that you're actually going to change driving habits in Thailand through your arrogant attitudes and name-calling.

Is that what you think I meant when I stated that Thais drive like <deleted>?

I myself couldn't give a rats-ass what anyone thinks of my driving--and I'm probably a much more aggressive driver than the average Thai. Am I going to change my driving habits to appease a bunch of obnoxious d*ckheads? Heck no. Not even a little bit.

I am pretty confident there are at least a couple of persons with an awareness-level above dry sea weed who will disagree with opinions like yours, for instance those with small children in the car. Luckily, these things tend to adjust itself according to every possible Darwinian theory.

JAFO.

In the US we have road signs that say "Slippery when wet",

Should this indicate the IQ level of US citizens, or is just a trick to avoid any accident claims against the government? :rolleyes:

I don't know you tell me. It all seems to be common sense to me. But I will say the Lawyers run the US. It is why we make laws on top of laws for more and more clarity when all it does it leave more room for lawyers to manipulate it.

JAFO.

Should this indicate the IQ level of US citizens, or is just a trick to avoid any accident claims against the government? :rolleyes:

I don't know you tell me. It all seems to be common sense to me. But I will say the Lawyers run the US. It is why we make laws on top of laws for more and more clarity when all it does it leave more room for lawyers to manipulate it.

The expected elites control and manipulated the USA - pretty much like anywhere else in the world.

JAFO.

The expected elites control and manipulated the USA - pretty much like anywhere else in the world.

Including Thailand

Ok, so you're in the "whining" camp, and for no constructive purpose. Point taken.

I am pretty confident there are at least a couple of persons with an awareness-level above dry sea weed who will disagree with opinions like yours, for instance those with small children in the car. Luckily, these things tend to adjust itself according to every possible Darwinian theory.

Getting pretty desperate, are we? Bringing up small children? Do you change your driving habits when you have small children in the car as opposed to young adults? Older adults? Which level of humans do you find more dispensable? You should be running for office with your PC rhetoric.

Ok, so you're in the "whining" camp, and for no constructive purpose. Point taken.

Getting pretty desperate, are we? Bringing up small children? Do you change your driving habits when you have small children in the car as opposed to young adults? Older adults? Which level of humans do you find more dispensable? You should be running for office with your PC rhetoric.

When I have small children in the car, I get annoyed by the practice of hiding the rear seatbelts, that is adopted by many taxi drivers. I don't see a lot of benefit in deliberately making your vehicle less safe.

For this reason, when I am on my own, I normally get in the front seat of a taxi, where the seat belts are (in my experience) universally available for use, and where the taxi driver is quite anxious for you to wear it, to avoid the attentions of the tea-money boys.

When I see people responding like idiots to the rudeness or foolishness of others, it reminds me of the importance of setting a decent and polite example, in driving as elsewhere.

SC

When I have small children in the car, I get annoyed by the practice of hiding the rear seatbelts, that is adopted by many taxi drivers. I don't see a lot of benefit in deliberately making your vehicle less safe.

For this reason, when I am on my own, I normally get in the front seat of a taxi, where the seat belts are (in my experience) universally available for use, and where the taxi driver is quite anxious for you to wear it, to avoid the attentions of the tea-money boys.

When I see people responding like idiots to the rudeness or foolishness of others, it reminds me of the importance of setting a decent and polite example, in driving as elsewhere.

I personally sit in the back of taxis as I think head-on collisions are a greater (and more frequent) risk than being rammed from behind.

And yes -- there have been some odd replies to this thread. My mother lives in Berkshire (not far from Windsor Castle); she is in her seventies now and she is a long way from being a fool.

I personally sit in the back of taxis as I think head-on collisions are a greater (and more frequent) risk than being rammed from behind.

And yes -- there have been some odd replies to this thread. My mother lives in Berkshire (not far from Windsor Castle); she is in her seventies now and she is a long way from being a fool.

I'm more worried about being thrown into the windscreen or into the person in front of me when the taxi stops catastrophically (like when it hits an oncoming vehicle which is travelling 'minority-direction' in your lane...).

Seat belts play a much greater role in ensuring safety than choice of seat, in this case. The rear seats stop almost as precipitately as the front seats.

I also enjoy the better view from the front seat...

SC

JAFO.

Few disagree, BUT a "Slippery when wet" sign is actually useful to drivers.

In the same way, I appreciate the Thai signs warning me of bends etc. They are not there as part of some 'conspiracy' to save the govt money - they are there because of previous accidents.

In the same way, I appreciate the Thai signs warning me of bends etc. They are not there as part of some 'conspiracy' to save the govt money - they are there because of previous accidents.

I reckon its just tightfisted nanny-state controlfreak liberal pervs trying to stop us having accidents because the civil servants are too effeminate to deal with road accidents and they want to trouser all the money they save on emergency medical treatment to pay for weapons of mass destruction to suppress their tax slaves.

Although I am always happy to be told a little bit about the road ahead, particularly on roads that I don't drive every day on my commute to work.

It was not obvious to me that ice forms first on bridges rather than at-grade highways, and no doubt some road surfaces may maintain their grip better in the wet than others. The road surface in our parking lot is smooth, to minimise tyre wear when maneuvering at low speed, but it is dicey when wet - luckily its under-cover, so does not suffer greatly in the rain. It was actualy a small oil leak that I slipped on when I fell on my arse.

Most of the big business in US law revolves around the common law, I believe, which is made up 'case-by-case', based on precedent, so we have no alternative but to suffer "law upon law" - actually, precedent upon precedent. Whilst the principles of common law are simple and sensible enough, in some cases their interpretation may be counter-intuitive, or may be hampered by the competence of the lawyers or judges involved. When criticising the justice system in America, remember that the judge can only judge based on the facts and cases placed before him, regardless of his own opinion of what is right or wrong. And furthermore, I think he is bound to follow precedent, if such has been set.

SC

SC

F1fanatic.

BUT a "Slippery when wet" sign is actually useful to drivers

Any driver who needs this kind of info, should not be driving. However I agree with the signs that warns about bends are appreciated.

I disagree. Some places retain more water than others so are unexpectedly slippery.

Personally, I appreciate all the signs that are placed as a result of previous accidents.

I reckon its just tightfisted nanny-state controlfreak liberal pervs trying to stop us having accidents because the civil servants are too effeminate to deal with road accidents and they want to trouser all the money they save on emergency medical treatment to pay for weapons of mass destruction to suppress their tax slaves.

Although I am always happy to be told a little bit about the road ahead, particularly on roads that I don't drive every day on my commute to work.

It was not obvious to me that ice forms first on bridges rather than at-grade highways, and no doubt some road surfaces may maintain their grip better in the wet than others. The road surface in our parking lot is smooth, to minimise tyre wear when maneuvering at low speed, but it is dicey when wet - luckily its under-cover, so does not suffer greatly in the rain. It was actualy a small oil leak that I slipped on when I fell on my arse.

Most of the big business in US law revolves around the common law, I believe, which is made up 'case-by-case', based on precedent, so we have no alternative but to suffer "law upon law" - actually, precedent upon precedent. Whilst the principles of common law are simple and sensible enough, in some cases their interpretation may be counter-intuitive, or may be hampered by the competence of the lawyers or judges involved. When criticising the justice system in America, remember that the judge can only judge based on the facts and cases placed before him, regardless of his own opinion of what is right or wrong. And furthermore, I think he is bound to follow precedent, if such has been set.

SC

SC

Perhaps its just me but I think you have some grudge that needs to be explained.

SC

SC

Perhaps its just me but I think you have some grudge that needs to be explained.

No, I just get annoyed with people whinging about the way things are, without trying to understand why they are the way that they are, and the possible consequences if they were not so.

I came across a "drive on the right" street, a year back, and I found it frustrating and distressing, till I realised the benefit that this little switch gave, in reducing conflicting traffic flows. Now, it may have been helpful to have a sign saying "Drive on the right - this street only!"; the only other drive-on-the-right street I can think of has a central divider, so you scarcely notice - though it would be a problem if you for whatever reason went the wrong side of the divider. In fact, it could be very bad, as, were it quiet and you got all the way down that lane, you might find yourself coming minority-direction onto the third lane of the highway...

SC