Thai Drivers

midas

No, I just get annoyed with people whinging about the way things are, without trying to understand why they are the way that they are, and the possible consequences if they were not so.

I came across a "drive on the right" street, a year back, and I found it frustrating and distressing, till I realised the benefit that this little switch gave, in reducing conflicting traffic flows. Now, it may have been helpful to have a sign saying "Drive on the right - this street only!"; the only other drive-on-the-right street I can think of has a central divider, so you scarcely notice - though it would be a problem if you for whatever reason went the wrong side of the divider. In fact, it could be very bad, as, were it quiet and you got all the way down that lane, you might find yourself coming minority-direction onto the third lane of the highway...

SC

Considering that I commonly see riders and vehicles approaching me in the wrong lane it just seems normal when it happens. There is one short road in central Chiang Mai that is right lane driving. It suits the pattern of the one way streets and that is why it is in place that way. There are signs saying so. But, it doesn't stop some motorbikes from using either lane in any direction. Once you get used to the odd traffic patterns and people coming at you from any direction it seems to work... providing you pay attention 100% of the time.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I have small children in the car, I get annoyed by the practice of hiding the rear seatbelts, that is adopted by many taxi drivers. I don't see a lot of benefit in deliberately making your vehicle less safe.

For this reason, when I am on my own, I normally get in the front seat of a taxi, where the seat belts are (in my experience) universally available for use, and where the taxi driver is quite anxious for you to wear it, to avoid the attentions of the tea-money boys.

When I see people responding like idiots to the rudeness or foolishness of others, it reminds me of the importance of setting a decent and polite example, in driving as elsewhere.

I personally sit in the back of taxis as I think head-on collisions are a greater (and more frequent) risk than being rammed from behind.

And yes -- there have been some odd replies to this thread. My mother lives in Berkshire (not far from Windsor Castle); she is in her seventies now and she is a long way from being a fool.

But what about from the side? A few years ago I was sitting in the back of a beautifully new ( you know still with a nice smell )

Green and yellow taxi travelling down Sukhumvit Road towards Siam Centre ( at the junction near Central at Chidlom ) my mind drifting through all sorts of pleasant thoughts when all of a sudden I was brought back to sudden reality realising the taxi was actually spinning around and before I could blink an eye the right side hit the concrete pillar with such ferocity that the green paint was still visible on the concrete for months afterwards. my head hit the headrest on the front seat and my nose started to bleed profusely so when people came over I did not look a pretty sight. There is a police box on that corner so luckily within a few minutes 2 BIB's rushed over to help me and the driver and I was taken to the police Hospital just up the road

but the taxi itself was in a terrible shape. I can never forget how close we came to toppling over rather than just spinning around and that was probably one of the luckiest days of my life.

Someone had come through the red light and even failed to stop after hitting the taxi but the police were on the ball in that instance and apparently using their radios they apprehended the driver 15 min later.

Edited by midas

When I have small children in the car, I get annoyed by the practice of hiding the rear seatbelts, that is adopted by many taxi drivers. I don't see a lot of benefit in deliberately making your vehicle less safe.

For this reason, when I am on my own, I normally get in the front seat of a taxi, where the seat belts are (in my experience) universally available for use, and where the taxi driver is quite anxious for you to wear it, to avoid the attentions of the tea-money boys.

When I see people responding like idiots to the rudeness or foolishness of others, it reminds me of the importance of setting a decent and polite example, in driving as elsewhere.

I personally sit in the back of taxis as I think head-on collisions are a greater (and more frequent) risk than being rammed from behind.

And yes -- there have been some odd replies to this thread. My mother lives in Berkshire (not far from Windsor Castle); she is in her seventies now and she is a long way from being a fool.

But what about from the side? A few years ago I was sitting in the back of a beautifully new ( you know still with a nice smell )

Green and yellow taxi travelling down Sukhumvit Road towards Siam Centre ( at the junction near Central at Chidlom ) my mind drifting through all sorts of pleasant thoughts when all of a sudden I was brought back to sudden reality realising the taxi was actually spinning around and before I could blink an eye the right side hit the concrete pillar with such ferocity that the green paint was still visible on the concrete for months afterwards. my head hit the headrest on the front seat and my nose started to bleed profusely so when people came over I did not look a pretty sight. There is a police box on that corner so luckily within a few minutes 2 BIB's rushed over to help me and the driver and I was taken to the police Hospital just up the road

but the taxi itself was in a terrible shape. I can never forget how close we came to toppling over rather than just spinning around and that was probably one of the luckiest days of my life.

Someone had come through the red light and even failed to stop after hitting the taxi but the police were on the ball in that instance and apparently using their radios they apprehended the driver 15 min later.

Know what you mean. I had the same feeling when some old farang suddenly turned right into my path just as I had started overtaking him....

The old idiot (with old wife on the back) were completely oblivious to traffic around them. He had decided that living here he doesn't need to indicate....

As per Jasper Carrott - he probably hasn't been involved in an accident, but has seen hundreds.

(Just to get it off my chest - TOSS.R!)

Know what you mean. I had the same feeling when some old farang suddenly turned right into my path just as I had started overtaking him....

The old idiot (with old wife on the back) were completely oblivious to traffic around them. He had decided that living here he doesn't need to indicate....

As per Jasper Carrott - he probably hasn't been involved in an accident, but has seen hundreds.

Some of the fellas you see wearing singlets and riding motos here would look more suited to a flat cap and an Austin Princess back home...

SC

Some of the fellas you see wearing singlets and riding motos here would look more suited to a flat cap and an Austin Princess back home...

SC

Quite. But living here they have decided 'rules' are optional. Most of the time that is true, but to just pull into the fast lane without bothering to look?? I am still angry as I have never yet seen a Thai so oblivious.

He needs to get his license 'pulled'.

SC

Quite. But living here they have decided 'rules' are optional. Most of the time that is true, but to just pull into the fast lane without bothering to look?? I am still angry as I have never yet seen a Thai so oblivious.

He needs to get his license 'pulled'.

Maye he'd not made a conscious decision to become a highway anarchist - he was maybe just a daft old git. If he'd had one, he'd have probably wound his window down and shook his walking stick at you, shouting "road hog!"

One wonders how such people become old; anyway, shouldn't judge too harshly, as I intend to be a proper daft old git in decades to come.

My dear old mother still tootles into town, and I am not sure whether the world would be a safer place if we could persuade her to buy a vespa again. She'd probably refuse, after the affront of failing her motorcycle test back in the seventies...

SC

You should be running for office with your PC rhetoric.

You should keep off the streets with your driving attitude.

You should go and stand facing separate corners, with your constant childish bickering

SC

no, we shouldn't

he started it

he drives like a loonie

at least I'm faster than you

and he wears a flat cap...

You should be running for office with your PC rhetoric.

You should keep off the streets with your driving attitude.

You should go and stand facing separate corners, with your constant childish bickering

SC

no, we shouldn't

he started it

he drives like a loonie

at least I'm faster than you

and he wears a flat cap...

Well, perhaps you simply didn't read any of my posts in this topic.