Police Asked Me 20 Bahts For Reporting Bank Passbook Lost

khman

Hi,

I lost my passbook.

Bank said I must report to police.

Policeman gave me the paper, and asked me 20 bahts. I didn't refuse.

Is it normal?

Should I warn someone, IF it's not normal..? (if not normal, saw a TV ad like "please report any corruption to.." but is it corruption)?

Thanks

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We always seem to jump on the corruption bandwagon yet in this "world wide pay as you go society"it is now the norm to pay for what used to be "free services" - ask yourself about paying for a statuary declaration at your embassy - request for information under FOI is met with ok but ex cents/dollars per page. So yes it may be filed under corruption but maybe it should be expected in todays "pay as you go society".

We always seem to jump on the corruption bandwagon yet in this "world wide pay as you go society"it is now the norm to pay for what used to be "free services" - ask yourself about paying for a statuary declaration at your embassy - request for information under FOI is met with ok but ex cents/dollars per page. So yes it may be filed under corruption but maybe it should be expected in todays "pay as you go society".

Police reports should be free so any demand for money is corruption pure and simple. It is not a legitumate fee, does not go to improve police services but goes into the officers pocket. If the service was advertised as attracting a fee as do those by embassies then I for one would be happy to pay but they don't because they should be free.

its 20 baht............come on.

Next thing you'll be complaining you have to pay 5 baht to take a slash. :rolleyes:

5 baht !

its only 3 where i live. you are being ripped off my friend. go your local police station to report this.

it will cost you 20 baht for said report. :D

Lost my Kasikorn Bank (Thai Farmers Bank at that time) passbook many years ago and had to pay 10 Baht to get a police report at that time. The report was needed to get a duplicate book issued. At that time, i was told that it was customary practice to give "small money" for such services.

Thanks all for your answer.

So, it seems to be corruption/bad practice.

Yes, 20 bahts is NOTHING.

But anyway, I don't like that at all, I want to report it. Sorry.

So, I saw a TV ad like "join facebook thaianticorruption", something like this.

Please, help me to report it. Where should I go.

I understand some people will say "come on !!!!!!!", but I prefer to pay 100 bahts if it is officialy due, instead of 20 bahts, sorry for those who disagree.

Hi 'Khman' I think its probably is corruption…….But 20 Baht,the guys hungry! And yes, you can report it, even at the same station………Just move one desk left or right, wait for an officer, (maybe the same one)……..file report……..and pay 200Baht lodging fee……..Just in case, "I'm joking"

But you rise one of the two main issues, (I think) that are the route of Thailand's problems. As Farang we are just passengers on this ride that we call Thailand.... no power to change anything really. Report away!

Edited by Tonto21

It is probably a small fee to help pay for stationary and maybe a phone call costs.

Is likely that the amount charged is left up to the policeman’s discretion.

The problem is that many Westerners equate the Thai police force with the police back home.

The Thai police force is terribly under funded by the Government and in no way have the resources available to them as in the West.

They are required to buy their own uniforms, motorbikes and other types of equipment required for the job.

So give them a break, please, 20 baht towards the cost of administration for the loss of a bank passbook, which is down to your negligence in the first place, is a bargain. The police are in fact doing you a favour and if they do manage to find the book for you, buying them a bottle of whiskey would be the decent thing to do as a gesture of thanks.

Edited by Beetlejuice

... buying them a bottle of whiskey would be the decent thing to do as a gesture of thanks.

Why do many farangs here have to associate thai men/policemen with alcohol & drinking.. "as always" ?wink.gif

Just showing your appreciation with a token of nice fruit basket...should be sufficient enough, this is what most thais do.smile.gif

I often come across many posts here that complaining much about..."I don't want to be looked or treated too differently than the locals". Then I would suggest you start learning from the locals how to go about doing many things "appropriately" the local way, in showing your thanks and appreciation to someone here.

Edited by doji

It is probably a small fee to help pay for stationary and maybe a phone call costs.

The problem is that many Westerners equate the Thai police force with the police back home.

The Thai police force is terribly under funded by the Government and in no way have the resources available to them as in the West.

They are required to buy their own uniforms, motorbikes and other types of equipment required for the job.

So give them a break, please, 20 baht towards the cost of administration for the loss of a bank passbook, which is down to your negligence in the first place, is a bargain. The police are in fact doing you a favour and if they do manage to find the book for you, buying them a bottle of whiskey would be the decent thing to do as a gesture of thanks.

But bj it's not 20 bht towards administration costs it is money that goes straight into the back pocket of the reporting officer.

My Thai wife used to work in the admin office of our local police station and confirms the reports should be free.

I understand some people will say "come on !!!!!!!", but I prefer to pay 100 bahts if it is officialy due, instead of 20 bahts, sorry for those who disagree.

HATS OFF! you sure are a righteous one, no doubt about that. but then i ask myself... ARE YOU FOR REAL? :whistling:

Yes indeed - for example if you talk to many of the Police Officers who take your statement for a Police Report you will probably find that the Typewriter he is using is actually his own personal property, he had to buy it, he has to buy his own ribbons etc.; that money has to come from somewhere and his salary is a pittance.

Under those circumstances I do not think a 20 Baht charge can be considered corruption.

Patrick

edit : spelling

Edited by p_brownstone

"...but I prefer to pay 100 bahts if it is officialy due, instead of 20 bahts, sorry for those who disagree."

I'd take the 20 baht, quite honestly. Just like I'd prefer to pay 200 bt to the on-scene police for a traffic violation in Thailand as opposed to 4,000 bt "officially" back in the states. But hey, to each his own.

Is this guy for real??

Whining about paying 20 baht to the BiB??..for a service that (for once) is actually usefull and accomplishes something :blink:

Dear oh Dear No wonder we get labelled farang kee noks :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, i can't believe i pay an internet cafe 20 baht per hour to read this Doo-doo :D

Next thing you'll be complaining you have to pay 5 baht to take a slash. :rolleyes:

Toilet at police stations are free - so next time you report, just go to the pee 4 tims and all is even :D

Toilet at police stations are free - so next time you report, just go to the pee 4 tims and all is even :D

:cheesy: :cheesy:

Good one!

Though it sounds like the OP would be to stingy to give up this much urine

maybe he would get more satisfaction by dropping a number2 and not flushing :cheesy:

... buying them a bottle of whiskey would be the decent thing to do as a gesture of thanks.

Why do many farangs here have to associate thai men/policemen with alcohol & drinking.. "as always" ?wink.gif

Just showing your appreciation with a token of nice fruit basket...should be sufficient enough, this is what most thais do.smile.gif

I often come across many posts here that complaining much about..."I don't want to be looked or treated too differently than the locals". Then I would suggest you start learning from the locals how to go about doing many things "appropriately" the local way, in showing your thanks and appreciation to someone here.

Unfortunatly the local way of gettin g things done is:

A] Under the table paym,ent (i.e. the same as the farang way!)

B] Call relation or friend that has rank or influence.

C] Be a person of rank or influence.

D] for farang only: Let the Mrs sort it out if she has B or C covered.

As most of us do not have B or C covered and some do not get the option D "get out of jal free card", then we return to A and pay up. Amount is based on (assumed) ability to pay or if you are lucky a fixed price.

I just has this with some land registry stuff - got the run around (Mrs did actually of course), back and forth between a village Ampher and the main Land Reg Office in the owning city and each blaming the other and calling each others BS. So, slip to option B - Village Poo Yai Bahn and the head of that citiy's land registry office and wham, paper work done for the cost of a nice meal out next month (and no money needed for underlings). Its the way it's done here and will be for way longer than our lifetimes (or probably our grandkids!), so bend with the wind and learn the safest paths through the trees (or make aquaintence with the guys wieling the biggest axes!) - or else you will live a stressful life here and be labelled as a trouble making crazy farang Billy No Mates by the locals.

Last week a wayward member of the family (extended) started making problems for MIL. Local police being lazy sh!ts did nothing other than take the report (free!) and call the wayward one on his mobile (The answer "He won't listen, so just stay away from him!"). Not good enough, MIL calls city police chief (friend of a friend) and suddenly local police seem only to happy to help!

:cheesy: :cheesy:

Good one!

Though it sounds like the OP would be to stingy to give up this much urine

maybe he would get more satisfaction by dropping a number2 and not flushing :cheesy:

That was brill. :D

Also, if they have toilet paper, you could take that. Hay presto, more baht in the pocket.:D

I think you're right........and yes, it's "only" THB 20.

The government has some kind of Anti-Corruption thing, but I doubt whether they will sit upright over your THB 20.

For me; I never pay a BiB for doing his job unless it is stated clearly in the police-office or if I get a receipt. Don't forget that it will be THB 20 today, THB 50 next week and THB 100 next month.

It's a matter of principle and it's not a matter of being "kee niaw"

Actually, 5 Baht does seem excessive.

Maybe your local toilets operate a kind of dual pricing system.

Or they just charge by the inch ;)