Crap Job? You Got The Choice!

It is certainly true that military service is a potential path out of a lifetime in the underclass. It kind of sucks that in general the rich order mostly the sons of the poor to their deaths for questionable reasons, but I suppose America is not so "exceptional" in that regard either. The USA is still in wars now so less of a draw for those mostly interested in it for economic reasons.

Back to the OP again, clearly the Thai man is better off in the question on the HOUSING issue alone. It is extremely difficult for an American to secure housing on a fast food wage while in Thailand it would be super easy.

It is a common myth that Vietnam vets were poor and uneducated. In fact, Vietnam Veterans were the best educated forces that had been sent into combat. 79% had a high school education or better. Servicemen who went to Vietnam from well-to-do areas

had a higher risk of dying since they were more likely to be pilots or infantry officers.

Hold your horses, old timer. There was a DRAFT for Vietnam. Remember?

Fact: Two-thirds of those serving in Vietnam were volunteers. Two-thirds of the men who served in World War II

were drafted.

100 percent in Iraq are volunteers. What's your point? This seems very much like a minor side issue to the main topic anyway. It is agreed by all that going into the military is often an option (unless not fit for it, etc.) for many of the same young people who are doing fast food jobs. But seriously, military service is not a desirable option for most people. Also note the vets coming back from Iraq etc. are in the same or worse boat than the rest of Americans, they ain't finding jobs. I am not up on it but I reckon some kind of education benefit is offered, I certainly hope so.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is a common myth that Vietnam vets were poor and uneducated. In fact, Vietnam Veterans were the best educated forces that had been sent into combat. 79% had a high school education or better. Servicemen who went to Vietnam from well-to-do areas

had a higher risk of dying since they were more likely to be pilots or infantry officers.

Please. Historically, educated and intelligent beings have never found any such romance through militarism.

There is nothing highly civilised nor character building associated with the grand illusion of serving - volunteer or conscripted.

Edited by zzaa09

Reply to JT,

My point is the military was not poor people sent into war by rich people as you mistakenly suggested. I agree it is a minor side issue but you brought it up not me. The odds of getting killed in the military are between slim and none anyway if you look at the total people involved.

Reply to JT,

My point is the military was not poor people sent into war by rich people as you mistakenly suggested. I agree it is a minor side issue but you brought it up not me. The odds of getting killed in the military are between slim and none anyway if you look at the total people involved.

That's funny. My dad had many fighter pilot friends in WW2. He told me most of them died. I actually wasn't the one who first brought up military service. However I have posted on it, but I do suggest it is getting off topic and that we all stop it.

Edited by Jingthing

On opportunity there is still no better country than the USA.

You are living in the past. I don't see much point in debating a true believer who doesn't keep up with current events.

Please educate us non-believer, thee of the one year of trying to work yourself through college without mum's help.

Which current events impress you so?

The one where you cut and ran because you could not compete and get a job?

No surprise that eh? Those that quit find it easier to do so each time.

Let's try to focus on the objective economic and social situations in the two countries, and avoid the baiting PERSONAL attacks, shall we?

Let's have you cite something remotely objective then.

Please. Historically, educated and intelligent have never found any such romance through militarism.

There is nothing highly civilised nor character building associated with the grand illusion of serving - volunteer or conscripted.

Who are you talking to? Not me. Your response had nothing to do with what I posted. A high school education is certainly not highly educated nor a sign of intelligence and I didn't say it was. Civilization is however served when a society has a military when the barbarians are at the city gates and want to burn down Rome or when diplomacy fails. But I didn't say anything about civilization. You are of course wrong about the assertion that the educated and intelligent have never found any such romance through militarism but that is too simple and obvious a fact for me to debate. Although I didn't post anything about character building, history just does not back you up on that one either. I thought we were talking about a crap job. I only posted to correct JT and of course to remind you that the US is far more polite in its lower classes than England.

Reply to JT,

That's funny. My dad had many fighter pilot friends in WW2. He told me most of them died. I actually wasn't the one who first brought up military service. However I have posted on it, but I do suggest it is getting off topic and that we all stop it.

I agree but why do you get to be the last one to post about the off topic subject? Especially since you are wrong again.

I did post a link all about the topic of social mobility. Perhaps you missed it.

I thought you did that for a laugh, the article is one of those typical from Huffington Post and Rupert Murdoch papers for that matter, Both sides playing on emotions with headlines but not much meat in the article.

Yes, the US is not number 1 in that survey; it is also not alarmingly behind especially when you factor in the number of immigrants bot the legal and illegal variety that we take in.

There is similar uproar over US debt in relation to GNP; yeah it is high but it is not even in the Top 5 with numero uno being Japan at above 200%. The US is a little above 100% at the moment followed closely behind by the UK, France and most other developed nations.

The opportunities afforded to anyone in the US are unlimited by any measure you can cite including race, creed, and economic standing. We do suffer; however, from a lack of folks applying themselves and taking advantage of those opportunities.

As bad as the media likes to play it, they are after all in the business of selling bad news, the current overall US unemployment rate of 9.1% is less than Euroland which is currently just over 10%.

This question is just as silly as the following:

Is it closer to Bangkok or by bus?

Ditto, get a life . . .

Inconsequential comparatives are a way of life for many.

Edited by zzaa09