Oil Deal: Thaksin To Visit Cambodia

webfact

PM'S FUGITIVE BROTHER

Oil deal: Thaksin to visit Cambodia

By THE NATION

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will visit Cambodia late this week to meet with leaders and investors in Phnom Penh, notably on an oil-and-gas concession in the Gulf of Thailand where claims overlap, a Pheu Thai Party source said yesterday.

Thaksin, who is expected to be in the country for two days from August 19 on Friday and Saturday, will take some foreign investors to meet and play golf with Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen and Defence Minister Tea Banh to make the business deal, the source said.

Many Pheu Thai MPs are preparing to greet Thaksin while he is in Cambodia, the source said.

Thaksin will help negotiate with Cambodia on a plan for joint development of a petroleum venture in the Gulf of Thailand where both countries claim the rights. He wants state-run PTT to have a stake in the oil-and-gas concession or enter a joint venture with Cambodia, the source said.

Thaksin has asked Energy Minister Pichai Naripthaphan to cooperate with Cambodia on the energy deal, the source said.

Thaksin is always welcome in Cambodia, as he has personal connections with Hun Sen. He was an adviser to the prime minister and the Cambodian government but stepped down after the position provoked serious conflict with Thailand.

However, the maritime deal between Thailand and Cambodia is in limbo, as the former government under Abhisit Vejjajiva scrapped a 2001 memorandum of understanding signed with the neighbouring country. It remains unclear whether the pact has been terminated.

Thaksin began making high-profile visits to foreign countries shortly after his younger sister Yingluck Shinawatra took office as prime minister.

He is scheduled to visit Japan late this month under a plan facilitated by Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul. The private visit needed involvement from the Thai government as Japanese immigration law prohibited any foreigner sentenced to more than one year's imprisonment from entering the country. After the Thai government request, the Japanese Justice Ministry issued Thaksin a special entry visa, according to a Japanese official.

Yingluck said her government did not make the request to Japan but Surapong simply told Tokyo the current Thai government had no policy to block Thaksin's movements abroad.

"It's under consideration by the Japanese government; nobody could order [another] foreign government," she said.

Asked why the government had not asked for Thaksin's extradition from Japan, Yingluck said her government had no special policy concerning the former prime minister.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-17

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bingo.......exactly as I predicted in a post some months back, and this is the reason and the only reason he wants himself appointed as a "trade ambassador"......this is not to benefit Thailand but to fill the family coffers of Shinawatra Inc, by brokering this deal....

This was part of the master plan all along

Joint Development Area on the table and he is postioning himeself to benefit financially in a personal capacity...

Bingo.......exactly as I predicted in a post some months back, and this is the reason and the only reason he wants himself appointed as a "trade ambassador"......this is not to benefit Thailand but to fill the family coffers of Shinawatra Inc, by brokering this deal....

Joint Development Area on the table and he is postioning himeself to benefit financially in a personal capacity...

Bingo ... one of many here that actually uses the rubbish from the Nation as facts ... widen your horizon .. try to read this then you will learn how News are tailored here in this country : http://asiapacific.a...the-red-shirts/

One wonders what the commission will be, for arranging this deal, and will it be paid by Cambodia or the investors or Thailand, or all three ?

It would have been nice if the new PM had put helping-the-poor ahead of her family, or allowing them to help themselves, perhaps she will still insist that her Ministers represent Thailand in this deal, but I fear time is running-out, for her to try to show that it isn't her brother, who is really 'in the driving seat'. :(

One wonders what the commission will be, for arranging this deal, and will it be paid by Cambodia or the investors or Thailand, or all three ?

It would have been nice if the new PM had put helping-the-poor ahead of her family, or allowing them to help themselves, perhaps she will still insist that her Ministers represent Thailand in this deal, but I fear time is running-out, for her to try to show that it isn't her brother, who is really 'in the driving seat'. :(

The fact that her campaign was a masterstroke of image and issue avoidance should have been a clue. She's in a weird position indeed as her hard core base WANTS her to be Thaksin anyway.

Edited by Jingthing

Bingo ... one of many here that actually uses the rubbish from the Nation as facts ... widen your horizon .. try to read this then you will learn how News are tailored here in this country : http://asiapacific.a...the-red-shirts/

Blow job... Think about this .

Thaksin and his mate Hun Sen engineered the border conflict to put pressure on the Abhisit government... So therefor as some Thai's died..

Thaksin has Thai blood on his hands.

Not withstanding the red shirts that were killed in Bkk of course as it was Thaksin that refused to end the demonstration that he bankrolled and started.

So Thaksin is not going to Cambodia? He isn't brokering a deal about oil & gas? The link you posted says nothing about the topic of the OP, if you have information that contradicts the OP. please enlighten us.

And tell me again how exactly does the link you have provided broaden my horizons, all I am reading is a conspiracy puff piece and finally how does this relate to oil and gas agreements between Thailand and Cambodia

I dont think it would be commission paid, if he has any sense, it would be to broker a cut in royalties paid from production.....:rolleyes:

The wild card in this whole is deal: Is there enough gas or oil to make it economically viable to develop ?

I stand to be corrected but dont believe there has been any exploration wells or seismic in the dipsuted area....certainly to the West in Thai waters there is Oil & Gas and there are exploration wells to the South east in Cambodian water (actual production once developed still unknown)

The Gulf of Thailand has fragmented geology , therefore development can be rather hit and miss even with modern technology...so they could be developing some very expensive water wells...:whistling:

If there was an opportunity to invest in the development of oil and gas in the disputed areas I would be reaching for my chequebook. There are oil and gas production facilities right up to the Western (Thai) side of the border of the disputed areas, there are plans for probable development of oil and gas on the Eastern (Cambodian) side of the disputed areas. So there is a very good chance that the oil and gas reserves have not followed the lines on the map and are in the disputed areas. There is very good chance that there has already been some "unofficial" siesmic on the area as when the siesmic boats are on the turn it is a long sweep due to the length of the trailing cables, so it would be relatively easy while working the Thai side to include a kilometre or so of the the other side accidently.

It looks like Thaksin is trying to reboard the Thai gravy train at every opportunity. Not sure how he will profit on this one, but I am convinced he will :whistling:

Are you suggesting this deal will not benefit Thailand enormously?!

PTT is state owned... not by Thaksin's family.

So Thaksin is not going to Cambodia? He isn't brokering a deal about oil & gas? The link you posted says nothing about the topic of the OP, if you have information that contradicts the OP. please enlighten us.

Thaksin's adviser unaware of a trip to Cambodia

By The Nation

Legal adviser Noppadon Pattama on Wednesday admitted he was unaware of his client Thaksin Shinawatra's planned visit to Cambodia, scheduled for Friday to Sunday. "I don't know anything about the trip," he said.

Noppadon said he was trying to indentify the news source, who reportedly is an insider of Pheu Thai Party.

Pheu Thai MP Pracha Prasobdee said he believed Thaksin would remain in Dubai before making his scheduled visit to Japan on Monday.

Pracha dismissed news reports that Thaksin would stop over in Phnom Penh on his way to Tokyo.

According to earlier reports, Thaksin is scheduled to meet Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen and Defence Minister Tea Banh. He is reportedly trying to broker a deal for oil and gas in the Gulf of Thailand's overlapping economic zone.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-17

Business as usual. The truth is the other lot were just the same (excepting Cambodia), but were less likely to be reported on. One thing about Thai politics is depending on who is in power different groups of companies do better or worse with a few swingers who always do OK. Actually not disimilar to many other countries where businesses that back winning parties can expect better times but here the businesses usually have men in the government rather than just donors and lobbyists

Not suggesting it will not benefit Thailand, but believe the motiviation behind this has nothing to do with doing what is right for Thailand, but more of what he can get out of it.

As you can see here:http: //www.pttplc.com/en/investor-relations-shareholder-capital-data-shareholder-structure.aspx

Ministry of Finance has over 50% ownership. As for Thaksin's family who knows where they have buried their investment in the banks listed?

I don't suppose he works for free but any commission he may make will be insignificant to the benefits for Thailand. Thaksin is an astute businessman and of course will build his family's wealth (why not?!) but in this case his skills are serving Thailand's best interests.

All of you Thaksin bashers need to ask yourself one question and try to answer honestly and objectively:

How much better off would Thailand be today if he had not been ousted?

From the yellows taking over the airports to the reds in the streets, from the removal of democracy, the damaged reputation of Thailand abroad, tourists staying away and the division throughout Thai society. All because (in my opinion) one sector couldn't handle Thaksin's success and being powerful enough, would go to any length to stop him. Thaksin's govt may have had it's flaws (has any in the world not!?) but what's been done to this country in the name of 'putting it right' is insane.

Are you suggesting that Thaksin won't be taking a cut?

What has PTT got to do with it ?.....if PTT gets in there, it would as the operator.....your looking in the wrong place, our man in Dubai will be trying to get in on the ground floor, he would be looking to get his fingers in on the concession ownership, royalties or become a shareholder in the Thai/Cambodia JVC that would most likely be set up to operate this area.

I wouldnt have thought PTT would get involved anyway.....Would PTTEP (exploration & production) different company under the PTT umbrella

The same principle applies on the Thai side of the gulf...certain families in Thailand hold significant portions of ownership of Gulf acreage/concessions and are paid royalties on production by operating companies

As you can see here:http: //www.pttplc.com/en/investor-relations-shareholder-capital-data-shareholder-structure.aspx

Ministry of Finance has over 50% ownership. As for Thaksin's family who knows where they have buried their investment in the banks listed?

Tells us if you know more.

Do you really believe Thailand would not be stronger economically if Thaksin had been at the helm for the past 5 years instead of the chaos that the people have had to endure.

Not suggesting it will not benefit Thailand, but believe the motiviation behind this has nothing to do with doing what is right for Thailand, but more of what he can get out of it.

It was clear at the time of the border war this would happen. Hun Sen and his general son repeatedly shell and attack Thai villages along the border creating a border crisis and causing a crucial faction to abandon the government just before the election. New government gets in to power and they immediately move to sign oil contracts and begin to siphon off the wealth of the two countries.

PTT is not totally state owned, there is some private shareholding.

I guess about 6 years back a certain percentage of the shares were open to the public and there was an application process o get allocated blocks of shares.

Guess who's family and cronies walked away with the majority of the shares?

I don't suppose he works for free but any commission he may make will be insignificant to the benefits for Thailand. Thaksin is an astute businessman and of course will build his family's wealth (why not?!) but in this case his skills are serving Thailand's best interests.

All of you Thaksin bashers need to ask yourself one question and try to answer honestly and objectively:

How much better off would Thailand be today if he had not been ousted?

From the yellows taking over the airports to the reds in the streets, from the removal of democracy, the damaged reputation of Thailand abroad, tourists staying away and the division throughout Thai society. All because (in my opinion) one sector couldn't handle Thaksin's success and being powerful enough, would go to any length to stop him. Thaksin's govt may have had it's flaws (has any in the world not!?) but what's been done to this country in the name of 'putting it right' is insane.

Al Capone was considered an astute "businessman" as well......;)

Does anyone really believe that Thaksin cares at all about the Thai Gov't or finances after what the Thai courts did to him? George Santayana's famous quote "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to fulfill it", should be updated to "Those who cannot remember or simply refuse to believe the past...,

Get ready to bend over, Thailand!

He's on his way back.

Only what I read in the article:

"Thaksin will help negotiate with Cambodia on a plan for joint development of a petroleum venture in the Gulf of Thailand where both countries claim the rights. He wants state-run PTT to have a stake in the oil-and-gas concession or enter a joint venture with Cambodia, the source said."

I see now that PTT is state-run rather than owned. Apologies!

Tells us if you know more.