International Flights Us To Chiang Mai?

321Rich

I am retired and plan to retire again in Chiang Mai later this year. If at all possible, I want to stay the hell out of Bangkok. Any of you ladies or gentlemen know a good route from any city in the continental US to Chiang Mai that does NOT involve flying thru Bangkok?

In my opinion, for what it's worth, a short stopover between flights in Bangkok would be far more acceptable than a short stopover in Seoul.

Problem is that many of the flights from the US arrive in BKK too late at night for you to be able to catch a connecting flight to CNX before the next morning. In Seoul you can get long layovers too, but at least that's a first rate airport and not a bad one in which to kill time.

Edited by OriginalPoster

In my opinion, for what it's worth, a short stopover between flights in Bangkok would be far more acceptable than a short stopover in Seoul.

Actually, Seoul isn't a bad stopover destination- we use them frequently when flying from Oz to Europe with Korean Air. If you think of travelling with Korean its worthwhile becoming Skypass members (its free). They have free accommodation deals for Skypass miles which are both easy to accrue and use.

The other options for US to CNX avoiding BKK (what a wise move!) would be;

via KL (and then direct to CNX on Air Asia)

via Singapore (and then direct to CNX on Silk Air or Air Asia)

Or as this is your retirement and if time is on your side, why not travel light (the rest of your gear can catch up with you later) and see more of SE Asia and end up flying into CNX (avoiding Bangkok) from

Phuket (Air Asia)

Hat Yai (Air Asia)

Kunming (China Eastern)

Rangoon (Air Bagan)

Luang Prabang (Laos Airlines)

from October Air Asia is also flying direct from Udon Thani and Ubon Ratchathani to CNX

So some options.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous, especially coming from the US. First you spend more time going down to KL (which I think you can't reach direct from the USA) or Singapore,which you can only reach direct on SG, then it's still a long flight up to Chiang Mai, and in Air Asia planes? [ EDIT: Sorry if your post was intended as humor, I didn't have my coffee yet. ;) ]

Either that or you must really hate BKK airport? What's so bad about it I wonder? Waiting times are the absolute shortest due to the frequent flights to Chiang Mai.

Thai said, if you can make Korean Air work with limited time wasted then that's worth looking into.

I think Bangkok is quite a good airport; not as good as HKG or SIN, but reasonable. Main gripe is the walking distance between domestic and International.. Feels like you might as well walk to Chiang Mai. :)

post-64232-0-91880500-1313549518_thumb.j

Above: The Sfunnybunny Airport Half Mile. ;)

Or, maybe I'm too negative, and should see it as an extra feature: Get free exercise. You'd get even more exercise if you take the moving walkway going the other way, that'd be a nice workout.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

It's difficult to avoid going through BKK when flying from the US to Chiang Mai but it doesn't have to be all that bad. Thai Air has frequent flights from BKK to CNX, has generous baggage allowances and they usually allow you to check in your bags all the way from the US to Chiang Mai even if you use a different airline for the international leg. Sometimes you can get better fares on Thai Air through a travel agent then their website.

and compounding issue is baggage allowance. If you transfer to Air Asia etc then they really charge a lot for what would have been free during the China Airlines, EVA trans pacific leg.

Nothing is free on any airline! If you book ahead on AA you will still pay a lot less including the baggage allowance.

Compare Silk Air/AA on the SIN-CNX flight,

random date 4 Oct (OP said he was flying later this year)

Silk Air fare one way SIN-CNX, SGD465.90 (includes 20kg baggage)

Air Asia with 20kg baggage one way SIN-CNX SGD165

You could add alot of excess baggage on the AA flight to match the Silk Air price!

Sorry, but that's ridiculous, especially coming from the US. First you spend more time going down to KL (which I think you can't reach direct from the USA) or Singapore,which you can only reach direct on SG, then it's still a long flight up to Chiang Mai, and in Air Asia planes? [ EDIT: Sorry if your post was intended as humor, I didn't have my coffee yet. ;) ]

Either that or you must really hate BKK airport? What's so bad about it I wonder? Waiting times are the absolute shortest due to the frequent flights to Chiang Mai.

Thai said, if you can make Korean Air work with limited time wasted then that's worth looking into.

I think Bangkok is quite a good airport; not as good as HKG or SIN, but reasonable. Main gripe is the walking distance between domestic and International.. Feels like you might as well walk to Chiang Mai. :)

Or, maybe I'm too negative, and should see it as an extra feature: Get free exercise. You'd get even more exercise if you take the moving walkway going the other way, that'd be a nice workout.

The OP asked for options avoiding BKK.

Why he wants to do so is his business, and given the shambles of immigration both arriving and departing at BKK I don't blame him.

Try answering his question rather than telling people that your ideas are better.

and compounding issue is baggage allowance. If you transfer to Air Asia etc then they really charge a lot for what would have been free during the China Airlines, EVA trans pacific leg.

Right, so don't do that then.

Air Asia is perfect when your visit Pattaya for the weekend and all you bring is a toothbrush and some toys, but I would never take it when connecting internationally.

At the airport the seats are slightly better than they were before, but still not very nice. Even the TG domestic lounge chairs make you think <deleted>?! when your butt hits them.

Anyway, there are definitely some flights on Korean that work VERY well, layover-wise. Like this one:

post-64232-0-09200200-1313555817_thumb.p

21 hours 20 minutes from New York to Chiang Mai, with only a 1 hour 15 minute stop in between.. That's hard to beat.

And sane departure and arrival times: leave early afternoon, arrive in the evening, in time to take a shower and hit the bars!

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

If you are flying into an Asian gateway, most of them go into Bangkok, and you then purchase a separate ticket at the airport to Chiang Mai, or you can book this when you buy your ticket. However, if you fly from the US and transfer in Seoul, Korea, Korean Airlines has a flight three times a week into Chiang Mai thus avoiding Bangkok.

There is much more choice of airlines, and price comparisons going into Bangkok. THe flight from Bangkok to Chiang Mai is 1 hour, 10 minutes.

BKK airport is very hard to relax when waiting for a connecting flight, when you do find a seat its hard and stiff. Should've learned something from Narita airport.

I've found the lounge chairs very comfortable in the Royal Silk Lounges at Suvarnabhumi Airport, as in most Star Alliance Lounges around the globe. The free food and booze is also very acceptable. But again, that's just my humble opinion.

BKK airport is very hard to relax when waiting for a connecting flight, when you do find a seat its hard and stiff. Should've learned something from Narita airport.

I've found the lounge chairs very comfortable in the Royal Silk Lounges at Suvarnabhumi Airport, as in most Star Alliance Lounges around the globe. The free food and booze is also very acceptable. But again, that's just my humble opinion.

Yes, that works out great if you're traveling in business class or travel enough in a year to have Premier Gold membership in the Star Alliance. Otherwise you do get to use those lounges, your out in the general population instead, But that doesn't solve the problem of how to kill time when your flight gets into BKK at midnight, the next flight to CNX is the next morning, and the lounges are closed for the night. And a lot of the more economical flights from the US east cost, ORD, and DTW do get in to BKK at about midnight.

Nice bait BB.

Yes, that works out great if you're traveling in business class or travel enough in a year to have Premier Gold membership in the Star Alliance. Otherwise you do get to use those lounges, your out in the general population instead, But that doesn't solve the problem of how to kill time when your flight gets into BKK at midnight, the next flight to CNX is the next morning, and the lounges are closed for the night. And a lot of the more economical flights from the US east cost, ORD, and DTW do get in to BKK at about midnight.

True but the first flights out are at about 6.30am so allowing time for flight delays and deplaning not a real long wait.

True but the first flights out are at about 6.30am so allowing time for flight delays and deplaning not a real long wait.

Still leaves you about 5 hours it kill in an airport in which most shops, restaurants, ff lounges, etc are closed, doesn't it?

Edited by OriginalPoster

I think Bangkok is quite a good airport; not as good as HKG or SIN, but reasonable.

I'd say ICN is right up there with HKG and SIN; an excellent airport and not bad for a stopover. BKK is just a wannabe and has a long way to go to be in the same league.

Whilst BKK has many excellent business class lounges with various airlines, I'd hate to have a long stop over there if unfortunate enough to be flying cattle. They may have stuffed the place with duty free shops but they skimped on most other facilities.

If you do have to overnight in BKK the Novotel at the airport is very convenient with a short walk to check-in next day. Whilst it' "international airport" pricing is high by Thai standards, the rooms are actually much better than you'd expect for a typical Novotel.

Speaking from personal experience, after arriving late at night to BKK via an international flight, and then spending from midnight or 2 am until 6 or 8 am the next morning at Suvarnabhumi waiting for a connecting domestic flight to Chiang Mai (or elsewhere in Thailand) is not an appealing prospect.

The airport is pretty dead during those hours, a few cafes are open 24 hours, but the airline lounges are closed. The hours involved are kind of too short to go anywhere outside or even to sleep at the airport's Novotel, but long enough to be pretty boring -- especially after a long international flight.

So that's one issue to consider in deciding the best routing. Then another is what's the price of the all-international carrier flight you want vs. the cost of the international flight to BKK plus a domestic flight to CNX or wherever, adding in the layover time and potential domestic luggage overweight charges you'd face on a carrier like Air Asia.

I think Bangkok is quite a good airport; not as good as HKG or SIN, but reasonable.

I'd say ICN is right up there with HKG and SIN; an excellent airport and not bad for a stopover. BKK is just a wannabe and has a long way to go to be in the same league.

Whilst BKK has many excellent business class lounges with various airlines, I'd hate to have a long stop over there if unfortunate enough to be flying cattle. They may have stuffed the place with duty free shops but they skimped on most other facilities.

If you do have to overnight in BKK the Novotel at the airport is very convenient with a short walk to check-in next day. Whilst it' "international airport" pricing is high by Thai standards, the rooms are actually much better than you'd expect for a typical Novotel.

One plus with ICN is that you can buy your way into Korean Air's lounge for US$21 if you're not traveling in business class (in which case there's a lounge you can use for free). Well worth it if you have a couple of hours or more to kill, as the $21 includes an open bar, snack foods, and wifi and is a comfortable place to sit.

I live near CNX

I see nightly flight from Korean Airlines and nearly daily flights from China Airlines through taipae taiwan

But I understand what your saying. I like to keep away from BKK at all cost if I can

well, that is interesting, about korean air nightly... as i just booked with a travel agent 2 weeks ago, after extensive online research, and found KAL to only have 2 flight a week to CM...

china air does not even show CNX as a departure city on their online website.

Korean airlines... thru Seoul, direct to CM.... see other threads for more details or just call airlines.

I have been thinking about the same thing. Surprised nobody mentioned China Airlines, which (according to CAL's timetables) flies from LAX to Taipei, and Taipei to CNX, Sundays and Wednesdays. True also for some other West Coast cities. Problem with this? The layover on the ground in Taipei is over 13 hours. Gee, you think Incheon is a boring airport? Maybe I shouldn't bash Chiang Kai Shek airport; I haven't been there in 25 years. Let me know if it's improved.

What I would do? Ask your travel agent to get you to Taipei in the afternoon on any other airline, then connect to CNX on that evening flight. You might ask your travel agent to take the same approach with other Asian gateways, like Hong Kong maybe. Singapore and KL just seem to prolong the torture, though the OP didn't say: Are you flying first class? If so, you arrive in Singapore refreshed and connect as some of the others suggested on Air Asia.

The OP asked for options avoiding BKK.

Why he wants to do so is his business, and given the shambles of immigration both arriving and departing at BKK I don't blame him.

Try answering his question rather than telling people that your ideas are better.

I don't understand 'given the shambles of immigration both arriving and departing at BKK'? What, when connecting to CM?

When I travel from London to CM I land at BKK, walk through the immigration bit for transfers, which is normally empty and get on a plane to CM.

When I travel from CM to London, I go through International departures and immigration in CM, which is normally empty and just get off and get on my plane in BKK for London.

Korean airlines... thru Seoul, direct to CM.... see other threads for more details or just call airlines.

I have been thinking about the same thing. Surprised nobody mentioned China Airlines, which (according to CAL's timetables) flies from LAX to Taipei, and Taipei to CNX, Sundays and Wednesdays. True also for some other West Coast cities. Problem with this? The layover on the ground in Taipei is over 13 hours. Gee, you think Incheon is a boring airport? Maybe I shouldn't bash Chiang Kai Shek airport; I haven't been there in 25 years. Let me know if it's improved.

What I would do? Ask your travel agent to get you to Taipei in the afternoon on any other airline, then connect to CNX on that evening flight. You might ask your travel agent to take the same approach with other Asian gateways, like Hong Kong maybe. Singapore and KL just seem to prolong the torture, though the OP didn't say: Are you flying first class? If so, you arrive in Singapore refreshed and connect as some of the others suggested on Air Asia.

Are you sure that China Airlines still has scheduled flights (as opposed to chartered flights) between Taipei and Chiang Mai?