Non-O Extension

I had a non-o visa issued in Vientenne. My entry stamp stated 16th August. Visited immigration today who informed me I need to apply for an extension and that I have seven days to do so.

I don't quite understand if I am officially overstaying or if there is a seven day period either side to apply. Like there is with a notification of address.

Please help!

Your entry stamp stated permitted to stay until August 16th? If yes and you have not applied for an extension of stay you are on overstay today. There is no 7 day window but if your planning a departure within 7 days they will provide an under review stamp to allow stay for those 7 days without overstay; but you must file normal TM.7 and pay 1,900 baht.

Do you qualify for a longer extension of stay for marriage or something?

Your entry stamp stated permitted to stay until August 16th? If yes and you have not applied for an extension of stay you are on overstay today. There is no 7 day window but if your planning a departure within 7 days they will provide an under review stamp to allow stay for those 7 days without overstay; but you must file normal TM.7 and pay 1,900 baht.

Visa based on dependant children. Divorced but legal custodian.

What are the chances of having the visa processed in a morning if I arrive at 8am Friday?

Thanks.

I would think better tomorrow but Friday may also work - they do seem to try and help if they can these days. As for 0800 likely will make a difference where. Believe Bangkok opens at 0830 so if you have paperwork ready you would be one of the first in queue as most will have to fill out in front room after it opens.

Visa based on dependant children. Divorced but legal custodian.

What are the chances of having the visa processed in a morning if I arrive at 8am Friday?

Thanks.

Guy I work with who has Thai children but is not married and another guy with Thai children who is married recently couldn't extend their ninety days. The reason being that their visa was from Hull. Not that relevant to you but it just goes to show.

What type of extension were they trying to obtain? Extension of stay would not have anything to do with a visa being from Hull or other specific Consulate - if you qualify for extension of stay you do not even need a visa entry as there is a conversion process available here. I suspect they did not qualify for extension of stay for other reasons.

I would think better tomorrow but Friday may also work - they do seem to try and help if they can these days. As for 0800 likely will make a difference where. Believe Bangkok opens at 0830 so if you have paperwork ready you would be one of the first in queue as most will have to fill out in front room after it opens.

Thanks Lopburi,

Couldn't go today due to work commitments. Tomorrow morning. I don't mind paying the fine as it was my fault for being confused. Child birth certificates, letter from court showing custody, tabien ban and bank books. Hopefully they will issue it.

Cheers,

GFL.

What type of extension were they trying to obtain? Extension of stay would not have anything to do with a visa being from Hull or other specific Consulate - if you qualify for extension of stay you do not even need a visa entry as there is a conversion process available here. I suspect they did not qualify for extension of stay for other reasons.

They were both applying for a 60 day extension from 90 days as part of a multiple entry one year non-O. It was at my local immigration office in Nonthaburi. One guy I can understand because he isn't actually married ( although he does have 3 kids ) but the with the other guy it does seem a bit strange as he is married . When I spoke to him about it he said that they wouldn't extend visas from there ( issued in Hull ) and he would have to go to Cambo for a border hop. Maybe the word has got out how Hull is a soft touch or something like that. It does seem strange as I had been there for an extension myself not long before and it was all fine. My visa was issued in London. Same people working there. At the same time the guy's wife was asking the bossman about what to do and he said they would provide a one year extension for 25,000 no questions asked. So maybe they're angling for a bit of ' tea money '. Who knows really. Answers on a postcard. I'll have to see what they say when I go for my next extension in October.

They were both applying for a 60 day extension from 90 days as part of a multiple entry one year non-O. It was at my local immigration office in Nonthaburi. One guy I can understand because he isn't actually married ( although he does have 3 kids ) but the with the other guy it does seem a bit strange as he is married . When I spoke to him about it he said that they wouldn't extend visas from there ( issued in Hull ) and he would have to go to Cambo for a border hop. Maybe the word has got out how Hull is a soft touch or something like that. It does seem strange as I had been there for an extension myself not long before and it was all fine. My visa was issued in London. Same people working there. At the same time the guy's wife was asking the bossman about what to do and he said they would provide a one year extension for 25,000 no questions asked. So maybe they're angling for a bit of ' tea money '. Who knows really. Answers on a postcard. I'll have to see what they say when I go for my next extension in October.

Been working with the guy this afternoon. I got some of it wrong. His visa was from Liverpool not Hull. But everything else is as I said. They just said that they would not issue an extension for that type of visa. Totally fuc_ked up seeing how they did a month previously. He told me that his wife was talking to them for ages about it and they just would not do it. I can only think they were after the extra money for an under the table deal which was offered.

Or the person did not understand he wanted a 60 day to visit Thai family extension rather than the normal 30 days you can get with a tourist visa. Most people it seems are asking about the 30 days and can not obtain (which is why the Consulate often stamps extension of stay not allowed on the visa).

Or the person did not understand he wanted a 60 day to visit Thai family extension rather than the normal 30 days you can get with a tourist visa. Most people it seems are asking about the 30 days and can not obtain (which is why the Consulate often stamps extension of stay not allowed on the visa).

Dont think so because it was the normal people working there at the time ( the guy with one eye and the woman who gives everyone grief about their documents ). They have both worked there for a long time and I'm sure they understand pretty well. I know for a fact that they do as they have processed my 60 day extensions on previous occasions. The guy has been in Thailand 20 years so between him and his wife I would have thought they could explain what they wanted. It does also say on the form that you are extending 60 days from a non-0 visa entry of 90 days. Plus on the actual visa in the passport it says it is valid for one year whic a tourist visa wouldn't. Can't see how they could be mistaken.

Maybe they just didn't like him.

My thought was he might have just said "I want an extension of stay" and official noted that is was a 90 day entry so a normal said an extension would not be available and no discussion to explain he wanted a 60 day visit family followed.

My thought was he might have just said "I want an extension of stay" and official noted that is was a 90 day entry so a normal said an extension would not be available and no discussion to explain he wanted a 60 day visit family followed.

doubt it seeing how wife was there. Plus on the form which you fill in before you speak to anyone it does state your reason for an extension, plus the wife's ID , tabien bahn, marriage certificate , kids birth certificates etc which the guy had.

doubt it seeing how wife was there. Plus on the form which you fill in before you speak to anyone it does state your reason for an extension, plus the wife's ID , tabien bahn, marriage certificate , kids birth certificates etc which the guy had.

They are always very good in Nonthaburi and not looking for tea money, I assume that something with the paperwork was not in order.

Has the guy ever done 90day reports as well? If his wife says they want 25,000baht that sounds like an overstay fine to me.

Edited by beano2274

I thought only one extension of 60 days would be issued, after that you must extend for a year. (Please correct me if I am wrong).

A 60 day extension is not given back to back, so yes you would have to get a 1 year extension or leave the country when finished.

They are always very good in Nonthaburi and not looking for tea money, I assume that something with the paperwork was not in order.

Has the guy ever done 90day reports as well? If his wife says they want 25,000baht that sounds like an overstay fine to me.

I know what the guy told me and it wasn't about the paperwork otherwise he wolud have gone back with the right paperwork and done it. When his wife was complaining about it seeing how they had done it before they offered a one year extension for 25,000. It's not so unusual. I know a couple of guys who do that in Pathum Thani for 15,000.

There was no overstay. He was well within his time.

I know what the guy told me and it wasn't about the paperwork otherwise he wolud have gone back with the right paperwork and done it. When his wife was complaining about it seeing how they had done it before they offered a one year extension for 25,000. It's not so unusual. I know a couple of guys who do that in Pathum Thani for 15,000.

There was no overstay. He was well within his time.

Sorry but I and many others here probably have never been asked for tea money from anyone at Nonthaburi, this is why I suggest that either the paperwork is wrong or something about his passport and visa is not in order.

So that means this didn't happen then does it ?

Just because you have never been asked for money you don't believe that it can happen.

I have never been asked for money and I use Nonthaburi too. But I have also never ' enquired ' about it either , which is what this guy's wife did when they wouldn't extend the visa.

It's not so hard to believe.

25,000 for one year.

15,000 at Pathum Thani. I work with another guy on his third year from there.

But of course no Thai official in Thaialnd is corrupt because you don't believe it. LOL

may i suggest finding out the real reason why he did not get the extension, and posting that here.

I have never been asked and that is the way it is, I know it happens.

But I do not believe that it would happen at Nonthaburi Immigration, unless something was wrong with your friends/colleagues documents or his passport or visa from the UK.

may i suggest finding out the real reason why he did not get the extension, and posting that here.

But I do not believe that it would happen at Nonthaburi Immigration, unless something was wrong with your friends/colleagues documents or his passport or visa from the UK.

So what's so special about Nonthaburi ? is it a corruption free zone ?

It is not clear but did your friend still have a valid multi entry non immigrant O visa and could make a border crossing for a new 90 day entry without an extension of stay being required by chance?

He did. But I have had the same visa at the same immigration office with the same people with time left on the visa and there hasn't been any problem so are you saying that you now can't do this ? or they are mistaken ?

No it isn't.

But I have used the office since it opened, and I know many others who have too, and never have one of us been asked for tea money.

People ask for money because they see something is not right and can fix it for some money, so like I said maybe something amiss with your friends visa, or paperwork.

Edited by beano2274

I suspect they were trying to be helpful and advising him all he needs to do is cross the border for a new 90 days stay rather than wasting his money on only a 60 day extension.

Could be, and this idea got lost in translation from Thai to English.

Police to wife - The route to get a visa would be to go to another country which would cost him about 20,0000baht, including transport, hotel and visa fees.

Wife reports to husband - they cannot give you a visa it will cost 20,000baht to get one.

No mention of leaving the country.

edited - as garbled

Edited by beano2274

I suspect they were trying to be helpful and advising him all he needs to do is cross the border for a new 90 days stay rather than wasting his money on only a 60 day extension.

Could be, and this idea got lost in translation from Thai to English.

Police to wife - The route to get a visa would be to go to another country which would cost him about 20,0000baht, including transport, hotel and visa fees.

Wife reports to husband - they cannot give you a visa it will cost 20,000baht to get one.

No mention of leaving the country.

edited - as garbled

no problems with translation, he's been here 20 years so I reckon they can communicate okay. The guy in Nonthaburi with one eye knows everything about visas so he should have been able to get things across. I guess we'll never know what happened that day or the reasons for it. One of lifes mysto's

No it isn't.

But I have used the office since it opened, and I know many others who have too, and never have one of us been asked for tea money.

People ask for money because they see something is not right and can fix it for some money, so like I said maybe something amiss with your friends visa, or paperwork.

they didn't exactly ask for it. It was more like a service was offered. I might do it myself. It works out about the same as a couple of trips to Laos and back. So where do you live in Nonthaburi ? I'm in Bang Bua Thong.