All You Honda Phantom Riders

jimmym40

I'm in Chiang mai and really didn't know where to post this to get the most response. I have a Phantom and am using 91 gasohol. Is that okay? Should I be using something else, like 95 bezine? It runs okay and haven't noticed any negative feedback. What's the consensus out there?

Thanks for any/all replies.

Someone saying Gasohol-91

103,000km in his Phantom with no problems and reduced fuel consumption whilst riding with the cheaper Gasohol 91 as opposed to the benzene.

To my knowledge, the Phantom carb is tuned to run on 91, so 95 will see no increse in power or fuel economy.

Slash sold that Phantom with 130,000 km and it still ran great; all that mileage and it still spent 6 plus months at my house - and it did that each year.

That Phantom had the 'go ahead and use Gasohol sticker' on it, if it doesn't, don't. What would that be, 3-4 years ago they were built for ethanol?

I bought my Phantom a couple of years ago and the previous owner said use 95. I have used both 91 and 95 and there isn't that much difference in performance but 95 is a few baht cheaper and over 30,000 km there is a fair saving.

I bought my Phantom a couple of years ago and the previous owner said use 95. I have used both 91 and 95 and there isn't that much difference in performance but 95 is a few baht cheaper and over 30,000 km there is a fair saving.

Only speaking as a petroleum chemist, but putting higher octane fuel into low powered small engines is a waste of money. Not mentioning the benzine and gasohol differences, as I guess your comparing 91 Benzine to 95 Gasohol. Only a small percentage of engines on the road will have a measurable - not subjective - improvement to operating performance.

Opinions on fuels are often based on years of very successful marketing campaigns, not measurable quantitative results.

If your Phantom is new enough to have the Gasohol recommend sticker on, use it and it may even run smoother; that is unless you object to the evil, worldwide scheme that is alcohol fuels.

Never leave it with Gasohol in the tank for long periods; heck if alcohol and water didn't mix what would we drink for fun?

Only speaking as a petroleum chemist, but putting higher octane fuel into low powered small engines is a waste of money. Not mentioning the benzine and gasohol differences, as I guess your comparing 91 Benzine to 95 Gasohol. Only a small percentage of engines on the road will have a measurable - not subjective - improvement to operating performance.

Opinions on fuels are often based on years of very successful marketing campaigns, not measurable quantitative results.

If your Phantom is new enough to have the Gasohol recommend sticker on, use it and it may even run smoother; that is unless you object to the evil, worldwide scheme that is alcohol fuels.

Never leave it with Gasohol in the tank for long periods; heck if alcohol and water didn't mix what would we drink for fun?

I was saving actual cash of some 6 baht per litre as gasohol 95 was and still is cheaper than 91 regular. If they were the same price or 95 was more expensive then i would probably agree with you given that you have a skill (petroleum chemist)and knowledge that I don't possess.

• 8 months later...

When I bought mine in 2007 the sticker on the tank said 91 benzine, so I've run it with that ever since. 39,000 on the clock and she still is running well. I also find that 5th and 6th gears are not similar to an overdrive as some Phantom owners have complained of when running on 95 gasahol. As far as I am aware the seals and gaskets of a Phantom of this age do not like gasohol be it 91 or 95 and that is your your main problem. Yes 91 red (as was) is more expensive but the performance is worth it. At the risk of starting another slanging match, she likes Pure 91 best of all, closely followed by Shell.