Money Pours In For Rescued Dogs :

Lite Beer

Well dogs are eaten in Thailand too, just have a look at the dog restaurants around Sakhon Nakhon ... had BBQ dog in Vietnam in 97 not that bad at all, still prefer pork and beef though ... most dogs here in Thailand are not treated that well , mostly left to their own devices roaming around in garbage etc .. and in many places they are a bit of nuisance too ... not sure that the temples are too happy either .. that is normally where people drop them off ... and since very few seem to care in daily life why bother if someone try to make a bit of business.

Of course if people had their dogs stolen then they should have them back but I do not suspect that is the case here.

Would be nice to see people get their wallet up and help orphans and other people in need here in Thailand instead.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well dogs are eaten in Thailand too, just have a look at the dog restaurants around Sakhon Nakhon ...

@Tywais Well, with the original wording the message would surely be more authentic and I figured with all this translation software available nowadays... But anyway, there is certainly also a translated version:

"This is, why Thais say that people doing so are not Thais but Laotians." :whistling:

12 million into someone's bank account eh? How much is a new Benz these days?

How is this relevant? I think most of us on this thread already know about political corruption and the theft of donated money. Can you save your fingers the pouncing of the keys and type something fresh? Or, does it make you feel good to blather about a known dereliction of what it means to be human on this thread simply to say, "Hey, look at me, look what I have to say!"?

Time to collect your skirt and blouse mate

12 million into someone's bank account eh? How much is a new Benz these days?

How is this relevant? I think most of us on this thread already know about political corruption and the theft of donated money. Can you save your fingers the pouncing of the keys and type something fresh? Or, does it make you feel good to blather about a known dereliction of what it means to be human on this thread simply to say, "Hey, look at me, look what I have to say!"?

Time to collect your skirt and blouse mate

:cheesy:

New law on cruelty?

By The Nation on Sunday

Livestock Development chief Preecha Somboonprasert, who led a caravan taking six tonnes of dog food and medical supplies for 967 dogs at Nakhon Phanom Animal Quarantine Station, said yesterday he would propose that Parliament pass a law designed to prevent cruel treatment of animals.

If a new law with harsher punishments were passed, he felt it might cut illegal trade and cruel treatment of animals. He urged medical care to stop more injured dogs from dying, and said he also instructed livestock officials nationwide to set up stricter checkpoints for people transporting animals.

About 2,000 dogs were saved from smugglers thought to be working for the dog-meat trade in nearby countries when three men were arrested in Nakhon Phanom on August 11. But many of the dogs died as they were in a poor condition. An appeal for donations to help feed the surviving dogs had drawn donations of Bt17 million in two bank accounts as of yesterday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-21

In the US it is estimated that 3 to 4 million stray dogs and cats are euthanized annually that are brought to animal shelters. Would it really be such a bad thing if these animals were offered up for food?

No, if it is done properly.

That's the issue here, the cruelty not the menu.

agree ... but not sure I would ever even try to eat a dog of a menu. Different story if it was a matter of being in need of food and not having the money. I am curious to wonder what a dog tastes like but being that dogs have been part of my family most of my life it would seem like cannibalism. But again wouldn't have problems with people eating people either instead of simply being buried or burned after death if it is a matter of feeding those without food.... even though it is an uncomfortable thought, it just seems it would be a good thing to not waste food if there are starving people .

Edited by Nisa

Livestock Department to propose animal protection bill

NAKHON PHANOM, 21 August 2011 (NNT)- The Livestock Development Department has submitted a bill aimed at alleviating the animal abuse and exploitation.

The bill, if approved by the House, will enable authorities to impose harsher punishment on people involved in animal smuggling as well as owners who fail to give their pets a proper care.

Meanwhile, the President of Nakhon Phanom Chamber of Commerce commented that there should be a law allowing legal elimination of stray dogs to ensure public safety and to put an end to the smuggling of dogs.

The move comes after the rescue of 1,800 dogs in Nakhon Phanom. The dogs which were destined for a neighboring country are kept in Nakhon Phanom Animal Quarantine Station. Nearly half of them died due to injuries. Thirteen dogs have been reclaimed by their owners

Donation money has reached 17 million THB so far.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-08-21 footer_n.gif

Meanwhile, the President of Nakhon Phanom Chamber of Commerce commented that there should be a law allowing legal elimination of stray dogs to ensure public safety and to put an end to the smuggling of dogs.

Hm, let's put this in perspective. I mean, how many people fall prey to stray dogs in comparison to fellow people? Any statistics and suggestions to cope with that particularly by someone that heads a Chamber of Commerce? :whistling:

In the US it is estimated that 3 to 4 million stray dogs and cats are euthanized annually that are brought to animal shelters. Would it really be such a bad thing if these animals were offered up for food?

The primary issue of concern for the government, aside from the negative issue is one of public health . The use of sick or diseased animals has the potential to let loose a food safety crisis. The failure to control such activity undermines both Thailand's food safety standards and the image of its regulated food exporters. How would you like to be a food exporter and have to deal with rumours that dog meat is in your prepared foods, or that Thailand has no food quality control? Do you not see the negative implications for legitimate businesses?

Compounding the situation was the cruel and inhumane manner in which the animals were shipped. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to transport animals in this way.

^ Good luck Khun Preecha in a place dozens of men can die from suffocation after being loaded onto army trucks and no one has been held accountable.

Not related - the act was wrong and illegal.

What they are talking about here is making some acts illegal that now is not.

Holding someone accountable is the job of police and the legal system, not the politicians. They enact laws to say that something is wrong. And making animals suffer is wrong.

Only in this country would people donate millions of baht to feed some miserable diseased dogs that nobody wants. What about donating money to dozens of needy schools and fill them up with computers and air conditioning units. never.

The money wont go to the dogs anyway. It will mostly go on o/seas holidays to Europe and maybe a new BMW sports for the wife or mai noi. Maybe a new condo in Phuket for a mfamily with influence.

Those dogs will quietly disappear at 4 am on a date to be determined.

Absolutely! Dogs are a curse in Thailand - abandoned and left to run wild or, at best, uncontrolled by owners. They present a danger to motorcyclists, spread disease and, particularly when in packs, can be vicious. At night they bark or howl at all hours. Uncontrolled dogs without owner identification should attract a bounty and should be destroyed on sight - they are simply vermin and should be eradicated rather than being pandered to by misguided donations of money that is needed so much in so many other areas.

No doubt I'll be branded a dog-hater (simply untrue - dogs, either as pets or working, are great PROVIDED THEY ARE CONTROLLED) because I choose to put humans before dogs.

No. You may be branded, but you are a realist and a few years ahead of the times.

You can't write this stuff. Feral curs being given treatment better off reserved for human beings. It stuns the imagination!

Perhaps a photo of an 18 wheel flat bed truck loaded down with a huge pile of 2000 rotting baby corpses would have stirred as much donations and judicial consideration for orphanages?

Sympathy for feral curs that breed in an out of control way? Call me what you want, but I'll see any one of these dangerous creatures dead before I let them thrive in the community where my young son will be growing up and playing. I am describing the community where I live, and the vicious curs who attack innocent citizens as they drive through the pack that is barricading the roadway.

Nobody gives a dam_n about how these creatures are conceived, and the disgusting manner in which they "knot up" on the middle of sois and in public places; but every bleeding heart idealist jumps on the bandwagon after they are brought into the world in litters of 8, 9 or 10 puppies, and the bleeding heart idealists try to make a Baht off of the campaign by playing the "guilt and sympathy" card. You are either trying to convince and persuade me I am damaged because I should care about creatures that, to all intents and purposes, should not ever come into being; or you are simply the most naive and ignorant people I have ever read? Responsibility begins before there is a problem, hence no problem. The problem is the dogs, which in many cases are representative of the rats that brought about the Black Plague.

Yeah; just because they breed and create filth and disease and harm to innocent human beings already struggling to survive... that must mean that we are compelled by something distorted to play god and "save" them. Just because!

This is about the degeneration into weak-mindedness of human kind, and how this kind of thinking and compromise has replaced an evolving, practical approach to health, well-being and compassion for humans, and not animals that are over breeding themselves uncontrollably.

Save the dogs! Sheesh! We're not talking Old Yeller, Rin tin tin or Lassie here.

I wonder how many Thai mothers' who left their child to die in a rubbish bin, are donating to this just cause?

Hey, let's save the rats! Rats are more intelligent, more industrious, and they keep out of sight. You can even eat them, and they make great pets. What? Rats are disgusting? Get the point? Why do we sell rat poison, but not dog poison? Because people are confused and twisted about priorities.

To the branders: just don't bring a feral dog to my soi and turn it loose and have it threaten or harm my family, because you will be branded after the dog is dealt with. If I am so wrong, then why does one phone call bring around the green City Hall truck and these unclaimed curs get carted off?

If teenagers behaved the way these curs do, there would be a public outcry: urinating and defecating all over, having every kind of skin and intestinal disease possible, breeding out of control, carrying disease to anyone who comes in close contact with them on a regular basis, partying and fighting all night and anywhere, attacking innocent people without provocation, and on and on. The amount of patience and compassion for such worthless creatures astounds me. They should have never been bred had "caring humans" began controlling the population.

That's my rant for the day and I truly, truly care less what the "branders" think. Keep your rotting, feral creatures away from me! My "nice" ends with this subject!

Very heartwarming to see this kind of overwhelming support. We had tried to donate for two days before the overwhelmed bank finally got its act together.

And if some of you lot think this is only about $, then sadly you are missing the point: part of being human is about having the heart to care for all life - not just man's best friend.

+ 1

Hey, let's save the rats! Rats are more intelligent, more industrious, and they keep out of sight. You can even eat them, and they make great pets.

Confirmed. Upon reading your post I am convinced now that rats are the better people. Therefore, besides dogs and cats I am going to give also them an equal share of my love. Thanks for your contribution. Rats for president!

Just one of the rats whispered in my ear that it is overwhelmed by your humanity. :rolleyes:

Hey, let's save the rats! Rats are more intelligent, more industrious, and they keep out of sight. You can even eat them, and they make great pets.

Confirmed. Upon reading your post I am convinced now that rats are the better people. Therefore, besides dogs and cats I am going to give also them an equal share of my love. Thanks for your contribution. Rats for president!

Just one of the rats whispered in my ear that it is overwhelmed by your humanity. :rolleyes:

Rats are people?!

You give love to rats, cats and dogs?!

You communicate with rats?!

Need I bother going any further with this response?;)

@Richard: Thanks for your great comment on this! :thumbsup:

But isn't it just a huge waste of time to communicate with such ignorant & cold hearted 'humans'?

Rats! I should have known that. But never mind I give a hoot about ignorant & cold hearted humans anyway. Good occasion to publicize that I like owls as well. Great feathered people. :whistling:

A friendly bark to everyone, including the dog dodgers, from Bangkok

Richard (the dog whistler)

Edited by Richard Hall

Only in this country would people donate millions of baht to feed some miserable diseased dogs that nobody wants. What about donating money to dozens of needy schools and fill them up with computers and air conditioning units. never.

The money wont go to the dogs anyway. It will mostly go on o/seas holidays to Europe and maybe a new BMW sports for the wife or mai noi. Maybe a new condo in Phuket for a mfamily with influence.

Absolutely! Dogs are a curse in Thailand - abandoned and left to run wild or, at best, uncontrolled by owners. They present a danger to motorcyclists, spread disease and, particularly when in packs, can be vicious. At night they bark or howl at all hours. Uncontrolled dogs without owner identification should attract a bounty and should be destroyed on sight - they are simply vermin and should be eradicated rather than being pandered to by misguided donations of money that is needed so much in so many other areas.

No doubt I'll be branded a dog-hater (simply untrue - dogs, either as pets or working, are great PROVIDED THEY ARE CONTROLLED) because I choose to put humans before dogs.

No. You may be branded, but you are a realist and a few years ahead of the times.

You can't write this stuff. Feral curs being given treatment better off reserved for human beings. It stuns the imagination!

Perhaps a photo of an 18 wheel flat bed truck loaded down with a huge pile of 2000 rotting baby corpses would have stirred as much donations and judicial consideration for orphanages?

Sympathy for feral curs that breed in an out of control way? Call me what you want, but I'll see any one of these dangerous creatures dead before I let them thrive in the community where my young son will be growing up and playing. I am describing the community where I live, and the vicious curs who attack innocent citizens as they drive through the pack that is barricading the roadway.

Nobody gives a dam_n about how these creatures are conceived, and the disgusting manner in which they "knot up" on the middle of sois and in public places; but every bleeding heart idealist jumps on the bandwagon after they are brought into the world in litters of 8, 9 or 10 puppies, and the bleeding heart idealists try to make a Baht off of the campaign by playing the "guilt and sympathy" card. You are either trying to convince and persuade me I am damaged because I should care about creatures that, to all intents and purposes, should not ever come into being; or you are simply the most naive and ignorant people I have ever read? Responsibility begins before there is a problem, hence no problem. The problem is the dogs, which in many cases are representative of the rats that brought about the Black Plague.

Yeah; just because they breed and create filth and disease and harm to innocent human beings already struggling to survive... that must mean that we are compelled by something distorted to play god and "save" them. Just because!

This is about the degeneration into weak-mindedness of human kind, and how this kind of thinking and compromise has replaced an evolving, practical approach to health, well-being and compassion for humans, and not animals that are over breeding themselves uncontrollably.

Save the dogs! Sheesh! We're not talking Old Yeller, Rin tin tin or Lassie here.

I wonder how many Thai mothers' who left their child to die in a rubbish bin, are donating to this just cause?

Hey, let's save the rats! Rats are more intelligent, more industrious, and they keep out of sight. You can even eat them, and they make great pets. What? Rats are disgusting? Get the point? Why do we sell rat poison, but not dog poison? Because people are confused and twisted about priorities.

To the branders: just don't bring a feral dog to my soi and turn it loose and have it threaten or harm my family, because you will be branded after the dog is dealt with. If I am so wrong, then why does one phone call bring around the green City Hall truck and these unclaimed curs get carted off?

If teenagers behaved the way these curs do, there would be a public outcry: urinating and defecating all over, having every kind of skin and intestinal disease possible, breeding out of control, carrying disease to anyone who comes in close contact with them on a regular basis, partying and fighting all night and anywhere, attacking innocent people without provocation, and on and on. The amount of patience and compassion for such worthless creatures astounds me. They should have never been bred had "caring humans" began controlling the population.

That's my rant for the day and I truly, truly care less what the "branders" think. Keep your rotting, feral creatures away from me! My "nice" ends with this subject!

@ cup-o-coffee:

Thank you for your "brilliant" rant of the day, I am asking myself why all the people in this forum, talking the way you do, just don't make a simple step by leaving this country to move back home to 'civilisation' and to provide their families and kids with a safe living enviroment where such 'dangerous creatures' do not disturb your daily life and where you will not see such 'worthless creatures' straying the streets and harm the lifes of innocent human beings who themself struggle to make a living.

What a bullshit... If any of the soi dogs are dangerous, then this is caused by man and the bad treatment these UNWANTED dogs were given... no dog by nature is dangerous nor would attack humans without a reason!

On your very first visits to Thailand have you been blind-folded? YOU have chosen to live here...

Again, a very, very brilliant rant!

Edited by TinaKohChang

@ cup-o-coffee:

Thank you for your "brilliant" rant of the day, I am asking myself why all the people in this forum, talking the way you do, just make it simple and leave this country to move back home to 'civilisation' and to provide their families and kids with a safe living enviroment where such 'dangerous creatures' do not disturb your daily life and where you will not see such 'worthless creatures' straying the streets and harm the lifes of innocent human beings who themself struggle to make a living.

What a bullshit... If any of the soi dogs are dangerous, then this is caused by man and the bad treatment these UNWANTED dogs were given... no dog my nature is dangerous nor would attack humans without a reason!

Again, a brilliant rant!

Brilliant, is how a "go home if you don't agree with my view" rant seems to consistently appear on these threads.

Now if THAT is not inflammatory, I don't know what is.

I trust that the Mods will act with due equality !!

@cardholder: to correspondent to your reaction to my post;

what I am saying is all but NOT inflammatory, it is just what I recommend to all those who always have to complain about 'unwanted' realities in Thailand! This in my opinion and in my very own belief this would be my decision if I would feel so uncomfortable with something by living in a foreign country...

This would just be the logical decision for all the intelligent people in here who always have to complain anything 'bad' in Thailand...

What the heck is inflammatory on my saying? I did not say, GO HOME IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH ME, I said that if you find Thailand too dangerous for your family and kids, being it soi dogs or wht so ever, why not deciding to move back to civilisation.... I do not care who agrees with my views, I am in fact very tolerant with different views on things and situations... I just wanted to comment on this with my very own view...

If the moderators think same way, cardholder does and are going to remove my post... do so... but this will not change my beliefs! Thank YOU!

Hey, hey, cool down here, dear people. Most of those writing here have undeniably actually the choice to go somewhere else which the dogs in question haven't. Just let them go to hell, isn't that what is advocated by some? No one wished anyone else to hell which would indeed be inflammatory, wouldn't it?

Hence, just call yourselves happy to have a choice instead of being in the situation like the dogs. :whistling:

We have the truck come by at least once a week here in Issan. You know they are coming because the local dogs go nuts. The wife has only given away the "wild" ones (bitten a child or adult or killed too many chickens or ducks) or the really old ones - so do the neighbors. I have always wondered where they went and guessed it was Cambodia or Vietnam. At the end of the day, we all know that the truck drivers here did not pay the tea money to the BIB. I am a realist and a dog owner but if the dogs were to provide nutrition to someone, somewhere - who are we to judge? Like a previous poster said: Pigs are just as smart as dogs but how many of you had pork this evening?...dw

I think you are missing the point. Dogs are not eaten for their nutritional value or out of poverty but they are considered a delicacy and consumed for some superstitious crap by some weirdos that can afford to pay the price. How is your stance in terms of shark fins, tiger paws, rhino dicks etc.? Who are we to judge? How about feeding on a fellow human? Who are we to judge?

Anyway, have an enjoyable dinner with Hannibal Lecter. No nothing to worry, no need to bring anything. Just bring yourself. :rolleyes:

Edited by Richard Hall

I am all for caring about all life but I think things need to be put in perspective and people should not obsess about animals as a way to avoid thinking about the millions of people in this world being abused and starving on large scales.

StarvingBiafranChildren.jpg

Edited by Nisa

... to avoid thinking about the millions of people in this world being abused and starving on large scales.

Just a word of advice. Stop just thinking and act instead.

This is what I do in terms of the street animals in my area. What do you do about issues that appear to bother you? I mean other than thinking and writing about them? Why being concerned about anything being out of your reach? Just look around and do what you can do 'coz trying to change the world is nothing but a waste of resources. Praying and preaching is useless because your hands are not free to actually solve a problem. Did you already get your ticket to Africa? They surely are going to appreciate your help there. So, go for it. :rolleyes:

... to avoid thinking about the millions of people in this world being abused and starving on large scales.

This is what I do in terms of the street animals in my area. What do you do about issues that appear to bother you? I mean other than thinking and writing about them? Why being concerned about anything being out of your reach? Just look around and do what you can do 'coz trying to change the world is nothing but a waste of resources. Praying and preaching is useless because your hands are not free to actually solve a problem. Did you already get your ticket to Africa? They surely are going to appreciate your help there. So, go for it. :rolleyes:

So "Stop just thinking and act instead." What presumption! What makes you think that some of us aren't already acting to do what we can. Maybe you think that "..... changing the world is nothing but a waste of resources." but some of us happen to believe that the world has to be changed and, no matter how insignificant you think one individual trying to DO something about it is, it is at least something - not to appease one's conscience or to canvass appreciation but because if enough people at least TRY to make some difference, then just perhaps priorities and opinions might change. It isn't necessary to go to Africa, or anywhere else, to give support for a cause.

This is yet another example of attacking someone's integrity simply because they disagree with your opinion and priorities and put humans before dogs.

So "Stop just thinking and act instead." What presumption! What makes you think that some of us aren't already acting to do what we can. Maybe you think that "..... changing the world is nothing but a waste of resources." but some of us happen to believe that the world has to be changed and, no matter how insignificant you think one individual trying to DO something about it is, it is at least something - not to appease one's conscience or to canvass appreciation but because if enough people at least TRY to make some difference, then just perhaps priorities and opinions might change. It isn't necessary to go to Africa, or anywhere else, to give support for a cause.

This is yet another example of attacking someone's integrity simply because they disagree with your opinion and priorities and put humans before dogs.

thumbsup.gif I think sometimes people assume everyone else is like they are..