Dog Mauls 4-Year-Old To Death In Australia

webfact

Dog mauls 4-year-old to death in Australia

Sydney: -- A mother whose 4-year-old girl was mauled to death by a dog in Melbourne said Thursday the neighbours who owned the cross-bred pitbull-mastiff just looked on as her child was ripped from her.

Jackline Anchito told national broadcaster ABC that her neighbour's dog ran into her house and latched on to Ayen Chol, who was dead before an ambulance arrived.

Two of the dead girl's relatives, a 5-year-old and a 30-year-old, needed hospital treatment for lacerations that will leave them scarred.

The dog, which was unregistered, will be put down after Wednesday's attack but police are yet to charge the owners.

"This is a really horrible tragedy, and it'll take some time for us to fully understand what's happened," Superintendent Graham Kent told the ABC.

The savagery has renewed calls for dangerous dog breeds to be banned.

"We want to make sure that we give councils the resources to deal with those dogs," Ted Ballieu, premier of Victoria state, said. "We want to encourage communities to get involved in identifying them and we want to make it a much more significant offence with heavier penalties for anybody who is in charge of an unregistered dog or whose dangerous dog attacks or damages anybody."

But Colin Muir, head of the American Pit Bull Club of Australia, said the owner was to blame not the breed.

"A breed doesn't do these things, an individual dog does - and it's irrelevant what the breed is," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-18

Dogs have been bred for centuries for specific tasks which man wants them to perform.There are hundreds of breeds that make good pets and then there are those we keep hearing about that seem to produce a disproportionate number who are a danger to their owners and others. Blaming the owner seems to be one approach, but this seems to be from people who have a vested interest and it is not seem for the safety of people.

Dogs have been bred for centuries for specific tasks which man wants them to perform.There are hundreds of breeds that make good pets and then there are those we keep hearing about that seem to produce a disproportionate number who are a danger to their owners and others. Blaming the owner seems to be one approach, but this seems to be from people who have a vested interest and it is not seem for the safety of people.

Give me two weeks and I can train most dogs to try to kill you on command.

The point is that while some dog breeds have a higher tendency to bark, run, herd sheep, what they end up doing is always the owners responsibility. Don't blame the dog, in many occasions they are but merely a tool.

Animals are animals! No matter how well bred they are!

They make their own decisions, they are not robots.

I accept that all breeds of dog can be vicious but it obvious if you own a Poodle, you are going to control it or fight it off a lot easier than a Pitbull.

Animals are animals! No matter how well bred they are!

They make their own decisions, they are not robots.

I accept that all breeds of dog can be vicious but it obvious if you own a Poodle, you are going to control it or fight it off a lot easier than a Pitbull.

Are you talking about muscle/weight-wise? Sure. Don't get a dog bigger than you can control.

But that isn't the fault of the dog or the breed.

Give me two weeks and I can train most dogs to try to kill you on command.

The point is that while some dog breeds have a higher tendency to bark, run, herd sheep, what they end up doing is always the owners responsibility. Don't blame the dog, in many occasions they are but merely a tool.

Totally agree with your second statement. The first one....not so much :)

There has been calls for these AMERICAN Dogs to be banned in Australia for years. It is illegal to import them and every one of these dogs had to be desexed years ago so why the hell are they still around. Tough new laws are going to be introduced in Victoria to have the owners charged with manslaughter and penalties of up to 20 yrs imprisonment if one of these dogs escapes and slaughters a person. You are not allowed to keep wild cougars or tigers in your backyard so why one of these things. Another poor child is dead in Australia because of The American Pit Bull. It is time to totally outlaw them and destroy every last one before other children are ripped from the arms of parents. They are nothing but killing machines..

There has been calls for these AMERICAN Dogs to be banned in Australia for years. It is illegal to import them and every one of these dogs had to be desexed years ago so why the hell are they still around. Tough new laws are going to be introduced in Victoria to have the owners charged with manslaughter and penalties of up to 20 yrs imprisonment if one of these dogs escapes and slaughters a person. You are not allowed to keep wild cougars or tigers in your backyard so why one of these things. Another poor child is dead in Australia because of The American Pit Bull. It is time to totally outlaw them and destroy every last one before other children are ripped from the arms of parents. They are nothing but killing machines..

"Sydney: -- A mother whose 4-year-old girl was mauled to death by a dog in Melbourne said Thursday the neighbours who owned the cross-bred pitbull-mastiff just looked on as her child was ripped from her."

The mastiff has been extant in Britain since Roman times i.e over 2000 years ago. So what's all this 'American dog' nonsense?

I took my first steps with a ferocious breed. The happiest days of my life were spent cuddled up with her. She was there to defend me, to give me all sorts of love and to teach me some lessons in life. If a dog is bad, look to the humans that were responsible for the dog.

I have a feeling that once the facts come out, the dogs custodians will not be model dog handlers and that the victim's family ,which were Sudanese refugees may not have understood that many Australians have dogs as family companions. I am not blaming the victim(s), but often some people do not understand that certain behaviours will set a dog off.

I agree that the owner should be charged with manslaughter. In this case the dog entered the childs own house and killed.

No excuses for both dog and owner here. Beast put down and owners to jail for mine.