Thaksin's Visa Could Be Japan's Big Mistake

webfact

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a big mistake for the Government to be seen to be assisting Thaksin in any way no matter how trivial, let alone making a visa request for a wanted man. I think that even the other members of the PT party will not be too happy about this move because they will lose credibility with the electorate.

The world sees Thaksin as political victim.

Thank you Mr World Speaker.

Thaksin has never understood the difference between persecution and prosecution.

Maybe the world should do a bit more research and wake up to the rubbish that his paid no morals spin doctor spewes out. On the other hand is the world really interested?

How come TV editor think Japan granting visa for Thaksin is a big mistake? Do they rely on ASTV rice, or owe the last government it fate? The world sees Thaksin as political victim. They can learn something from the man, and maybe a better cooperation from the new government even.

You really believe the Japanese are seriously wanting to learn something from thaksins situation (which he generated himself by the way)?

now we have a government that the people voted for so let us let them get on with the job however I feel that this will not be the case as the losing party are a bunch of sore losers and will do everything it can to bring the new government down which I find very sad

We had a government that people voted for last time, and if you recall, the people who are now in power would not let them get on with the job, and went about that with violence and destruction. I found that pretty sad.

What is happening now is also pretty sad, but it is at least in accordance with the law and if the government has done no wrong, where's the problem?

Within the law is one thing, appropriate is another.

I am waiting for the day (which will inevitably come) when one of the countries that blocked him, comes out and honestly says, "We had to do what the Democrat government said, or we feared it effecting the companies we had which had invested in Thailand".

There is no way on gods green earth, that anyone from the Democrat government can say 100%, that there wasn't any political influence based on the convictions of Thaksin. I didn't particularly like the man, but the process was not transparent, and was completely wide open to accusation of political interference. So when the Dems get in, the foreign governments have to play ball a little bit and make it hard for Thaksin to get visas and move around.

Now that has gone, they let him in. Why?

Because the Thai legal system cannot be held up to any sort of public scrutiny. If Thailand wants governments around the world to respect the legal decisions that are created here, then stop making expedient decisions. Just as we hear now that the "terrorism" charges were trumped up, the same can be said for any thousand of judgements over the last 20 years.

The Japanese will lose their credibility? Coming from a country where the system decided that having your maid own shares doesn't constitute ownership, and has only just decided that gifting shares to your kids does, or was it doesn't just beggars belief.

Your whole argument collapses when you realise that Thaksin's actions for which he was convicted are also criminal in most other democracies. Serving politicians ARE NOT allowed to purchase government assets, or sell them to family members, to avoid the perception of corruption. The huge profit that would have been made on the re-sale of the land changes perception to fact.

We have raked the coals over a million times concerning the sale of the land. His wife shouldn't have been involved in the bidding, etc etc.

However, and I am a little rusty on the figures, but if I remember, the bidding was concluded in an apparently competitive manner, and the price was signed off as sufficient. They got him on a technicality so be it. Now, why didn't Thaksin simply take his punishment and leave? Megalomania?

Do all of us outsiders believe that every single bit of business carried out by the Thai government on a daily basis buying and selling things is completely clean, transparent, above board and legal? I take the view that of politicians on all sides, they are all at it. Some within the law, most not. They are all taking a clip, influencing the outcome of laws largely for their own personal benefit day after day after day. Thaksin couldn't believe that he was the only one being singled out, when they are all at it. Not right, but would certainly go a long way to explaining his rather extreme reaction at apparently being the only one singled out for special treatment.

Call me jaded, but the problem in the country comes from the judicial system which has been proven to be able to be moved to create expedient decisions when needed. So the accusation that it is open to double standards in my opinion stands, hence why governments are now softening their stance towards issuing him a visa. Cases rise and fall up the priority of the judiciary depending on who is in government at the time. Just look how the fire truck cases get brushed off in a second the moment that PTP return to the table. I am not saying this is right, but, it isn't very easy for any Thai government to get foreign government or organisation to support decisions in the Thai legal system when they are so obviously politicised.

The foreign governments hedged their bets by helping out the Dems by refusing Thaksin visas. Did any of them go so far as to try to arrest him? No. Did Interpol help out? No. Because there was the very obvious accusation that the judicial process was politicised. Now his party is back in power, how long do you think it may take until some legal loophole is found to quash his convictions? So, the foreign governments are simply hedging their bets again, and will kiss his ass to make sure they don't fall foul of the new government.

It isn't Thaksin that is the problem, it is the entire system that is the problem. It can be made to move depending on the climate of the day.

"However, and I am a little rusty on the figures, but if I remember, the bidding was concluded in an apparently competitive manner, and the price was signed off as sufficient."

Thaksin held the portfolio, and signed off as sufficient - well he bloody well would when he stood to make a quick billion baht. How can the bidding be apparently competitive when he is the one holding the bids, and deciding which bids will be accepted, or tipping the wink to possible bidders that they need not bother.

Strangely enough, it is redolent of his first big score with the police computers. Leopards and spots, comes to mind. Did he think that nobody would notice, or simply think that he could get away with it?

Last time I tried "everybody else is doing it" my mother told me that it wasn't going to work. It doesn't work on me either.

If the Thai justice system is to gain any credibility, convicting serving politicians accused of blatant corruption is a very good place to start.

And he knew very well that because of the official position he held he was forbidden to authorize the sale to himself or his family. He broke the law, a law which exists in many countries and should exist. He and his wife knew very well that they were breaking a serious law.

Bottom line, he believed, and still does, that he is above the law and he can just rewrite whatever he wants as it suits him.

Quote: "I am waiting for the day (which will inevitably come) when one of the countries that blocked him, comes out and honestly says, "We had to do what the Democrat government said, or we feared it effecting the companies we had which had invested in Thailand".

You seriously believe that countries like Germany, Japan and more would kowtow to any Thai Prime Minister or political party?

You seriously believe the abhsisit government would have punished off-shore investors, but jobs at risk and more, if their home countries didn't aqueous to abhsist political or whatever demands?

What are you smoking my friend?

Edited by scorecard

Japan kept the "evil" Thaksin out when Thailand had a government that hated him. Japan lets him in now Thailand has a freshly elected government that is basically his friends, family and supporters. It is just Japan securing its interests in Thailand. They no doubt also note that in every election his supporters win, so its probably a safe bet that being nice to him is a good bet for their interests in the future

Now there's a statement that makes sense. It's kind of like an old FBI motto, follow the money...

And he knew very well that because of the official position he held he was forbidden to authorize the sale to himself or his family. He broke the law, a law which exists in many countries and should exist. He and his wife knew very well that they were breaking a serious law.

Bottom line, he believed, and still does, that he is above the law and he can just rewrite whatever he wants as it suits him.

Quote: "I am waiting for the day (which will inevitably come) when one of the countries that blocked him, comes out and honestly says, "We had to do what the Democrat government said, or we feared it effecting the companies we had which had invested in Thailand".

You seriously believe that countries like Germany, Japan and more would kowtow to any Thai Prime Minister or political party?

You seriously believe the abhsisit government would have punished off-shore investors, but jobs at risk and more, if their home countries didn't aqueous to abhsist political or whatever demands?

What are you smoking my friend?

Tesco Faces Thailand Crackdown

The new government appointed by the military junta after the ousting of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in a bloodless coup in September has added impetus to the drive to crack down on foreign firms, with Tesco one of the highest profile targets.

The company has enjoyed huge success in Thailand where it operates 189 Express outlets mainly in Bangkok, 24 Supercentres in the capital and a further 32 in the provinces. But it has faced repeated criticism over "unfair" competition to local small operators.

Under the Thaksin government the Commerce Ministry had postponed a ban on Tecso's expansion but since the coup, pressure for action has been building from groups such as the Opposition to Multinational Business Union. Co-ordinator Panthep Suleesatira, says "the invasion" by foreign retailers had destroyed communities.

And then amazingly, it all went amazingly quiet, and whoops a daisy, Thaksin no longer is welcome in the UK. Are you so ludicrously naive?????

Foreign companies with similar share structures

Various companies mentioned in investigations after the coup included DTAC, Tesco, Holcim, Cemex, Carrefore. Well, Carrefore have packed up and left, DTAC are about to get reamed, so lets see if Tesco survive???

Do you really believe that all of the actions that went on throughout the entire process of removing Thaksin from the country were designed to save the country? Or maybe there was a bit of big business that had to be saved at the same time.

PAD opens an office

Science and Technology Minister Kalaya Sophonpanich showed up bearing a bouquet of flowers, and was closely followed by other Democrat MPs, including Somkiat Pongpaiboon.
Just as well Thaksin only managed to issue ONE new banking license during his time in power.

Stop being so naive, and believe that pressure wasn't brought to bear by the coup and the subsequent governments that it may not be in a country's interests to be so obviously aiding Thaksin. That is what diplomacy is about. Now the rules are different.

There is a hell of a lot more to the ousting of Thaksin than supposedly saving the country from corruption. This was big business, and I have read enough, stayed here long enough, and understood well enough that this was the ultimate reality. I have satisfied myself that this is the case, and there are reams of articles out there, all you have to do is join the dots.

Edited by Thai at Heart

<snip>

And then amazingly, it all went amazingly quiet, and whoops a daisy, Thaksin no longer is welcome in the UK. Are you so ludicrously naive?????

<snip>

Stop being so naive, and believe that pressure wasn't brought to bear by the coup and the subsequent governments that it may not be in a country's interests to be so obviously aiding Thaksin. That is what diplomacy is about. Now the rules are different.

There is a hell of a lot more to the ousting of Thaksin than supposedly saving the country from corruption. This was big business, and I have read enough, stayed here long enough, and understood well enough that this was the ultimate reality. I have satisfied myself that this is the case, and there are reams of articles out there, all you have to do is join the dots.

Coincidentally, Thaksin was no longer welcome in the UK very soon after he was sentenced to 2 years jail. So it took a year after elections and 2 years after the coup for "amazingly, everything to go amazingly quiet".

Edited by whybother

Japan kept the "evil" Thaksin out when Thailand had a government that hated him. Japan lets him in now Thailand has a freshly elected government that is basically his friends, family and supporters. It is just Japan securing its interests in Thailand. They no doubt also note that in every election his supporters win, so its probably a safe bet that being nice to him is a good bet for their interests in the future

Now there's a statement that makes sense. It's kind of like an old FBI motto, follow the money...

Good advice, do you think Surapong's account might show a deposit from Dubai? The problem with the Japanese is that although very polite, they do have a sense of honour, and so are unlikely to lie about the origin of the visa request.

First action of the new FM and the PTP government, aiding and abetting a fugitive criminal. If nothing else, it indicates their priorities.

Former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva was right in saying that any Thai who is helping Thaksin could be implicated in the future.

This coming from the man who, as opposition leader, walked into the middle of a police action to clear the Government House of PAD protestors, encouraging the PAD to more violence that very night to continue & not end a protest which led to an eventual take over of the BKK airports, dissolution of the PPP, and his election as PM...

Yeah, right...

Abhisit did what?

Lost an election because the Thai people don't want him

It's amusing to see how worked up the anti-T's are about corruption, upholding the law etc. One can't blame them I guess, that's how they were brought up and those are the values and morals they would like to live by.

Fact of the matter is that here in Asia, with the exception of possibly Singapore and Hong Kong, corruption is pretty much an accepted fact of life (having said that, if not for Lee Kuan Yew, you can be sure that corruption would also be rife in Singapore. One might even allege nepotism, seeing that his son is now the PM).

In general, the populace tolerate corruption, even at the highest level, as long as there some good done for the country - case in point, Malaysia. In some other countries, the people have no choice as protesting would merely result in their deaths.

So while it is fair and good to debate about how bad or good Thaksin is for Thailand, fact is that he will shortly (if not already) be back in power and I believe the average Thai have accepted this and will just go on with their lives.

For Japan to issue the visa is a no brainer. If stereotyping is true, Dems drive M Benz's and BMW's and Audi's and reds drive Toyota Hilux Vigo. If you were the Japanese PM, which group would you prefer to please?

p/s: incidentally, the legal firm, Lee & Lee is actually LKY plus wife and they have been involved in a LOT of Govt contracts over the years.

Edited by Bkkorupcountry

Former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva was right in saying that any Thai who is helping Thaksin could be implicated in the future.

This coming from the man who, as opposition leader, walked into the middle of a police action to clear the Government House of PAD protestors, encouraging the PAD to more violence that very night to continue & not end a protest which led to an eventual take over of the BKK airports, dissolution of the PPP, and his election as PM...

Yeah, right...

Abhisit did what?

So, nothing about walking "into the middle of a police action to clear the Government House of PAD protestors, encouraging the PAD to more violence that very night to continue & not end a protest" then.

Abhisit did what?

With the Dem's winning 152 seats out of 500 it seems a bit strange to say 'the Thai people don't want him'.

Anyway this OP is about k. Thaksin and the current government having requested the Japanese government to issue a visa for k. Thaksin. Even though a few in government keep denying, a Japanese official said so. I doubt it's Japan's mistake, they just try to protect their investment in Thailand. Rumour has it Thai governments and especially dear brother Thaksin can be very annoyed when crossed ;)

Edited by rubl

begin removed ...

Io while it is fair and good to debate about how bad or good Thaksin is for Thailand, fact is that he will shortly (if not already) be back in power and I believe the average Thai have accepted this and will just go on with their lives.

For Japan to issue the visa is a no brainer. If stereotyping is true, Dems drive M Benz's and BMW's and Audi's and reds drive Toyota Hilux Vigo. If you were the Japanese PM, which group would you prefer to please?

Since k. Thaksin is not back in power, it's a bit premature to call it 'a fact'. Personally I'm not sure the average Thai will accept this possibility, but you're welcome to believe it.

For Japan to issue a visa after a special request from someone in the Thai government and even after having checked with the new FM, is a no-brainer. To assume the Japanese PM prefers to please people driving Toyota Hylux Vigo's would be hilarious if it wasn't so insulting Japanese PM's intelligence :bah:

<snip>

<snip>

Coincidentally, Thaksin was no longer welcome in the UK very soon after he was sentenced to 2 years jail. So it took a year after elections and 2 years after the coup for "amazingly, everything to go amazingly quiet".

I think he was no longer welcome in Britain largely because his sale of Manchester City Football Club would be hard to describe as anything other than money laundering. I do understand Thaksin's anger over that as the UK is one of the world's great money laundering centers and had been happy to take his dirty money previously..

Thailand's long-time friend and ally is putting its diplomatic credibility at risk

Who is putting its credibility at risk ?

Japan who owns half of Thai industries ?

Or The Nation who should stop putting young graduates fresh for the university in charge of its editorials ?

Couldnt agree more...

People who are anti-Thankisn... I have only to say... "get a life"...

Thailand's long-time friend and ally is putting its diplomatic credibility at risk

Or The Nation who should stop putting young graduates fresh for the university in charge of its editorials ?

Couldnt agree more...

So, because Japan owns half of the Thai industries (49.99%?) the Nation should not hire young graduates and put them in charge of editorials. No wonder Thailand drops in the 'Press Freedom Index'. <_<

As for anti-Thaksin people get a life, maybe to avoid double standards we should add 'pro-Thaksin people get a life' :rolleyes:

For Japan to issue a visa after a special request from someone in the Thai government and even after having checked with the new FM, is a no-brainer. To assume the Japanese PM prefers to please people driving Toyota Hylux Vigo's would be hilarious if it wasn't so insulting Japanese PM's intelligence :bah:

So what do you think is the reason?

begin removed ...

Io while it is fair and good to debate about how bad or good Thaksin is for Thailand, fact is that he will shortly (if not already) be back in power and I believe the average Thai have accepted this and will just go on with their lives.

Since k. Thaksin is not back in power, it's a bit premature to call it 'a fact'. Personally I'm not sure the average Thai will accept this possibility, but you're welcome to believe it.

So what do you think is the reason?

Assuming you're still referring to the visa issued to k. Thaksin enabling him to visit Japan, the reason I already indicated. Maybe to repeat it in a slightly bigger font will help?

Japan to issue a visa after a special request from someone in the Thai government and even after having checked with the new FM

Edited by rubl

It's amusing to see how worked up the anti-T's are about corruption, upholding the law etc. One can't blame them I guess, that's how they were brought up and those are the values and morals they would like to live by.

Fact of the matter is that here in Asia, with the exception of possibly Singapore and Hong Kong, corruption is pretty much an accepted fact of life (having said that, if not for Lee Kuan Yew, you can be sure that corruption would also be rife in Singapore. One might even allege nepotism, seeing that his son is now the PM).

In general, the populace tolerate corruption, even at the highest level, as long as there some good done for the country - case in point, Malaysia. In some other countries, the people have no choice as protesting would merely result in their deaths.

So while it is fair and good to debate about how bad or good Thaksin is for Thailand, fact is that he will shortly (if not already) be back in power and I believe the average Thai have accepted this and will just go on with their lives.

p/s: incidentally, the legal firm, Lee & Lee is actually LKY plus wife and they have been involved in a LOT of Govt contracts over the years.

It is a shame that you are deficient in values and morals even after spending most of your adult life in a western country. I'm sure it is not an inherited trait, but simply the way that you were brought up. Hopefully contact with us and our values might help to change the situation in Asian countries, and instead of some good coming from governments, they might even get to most of it (I despair for ALL, unrealistic!).

I would be interested of any pictures that you may have of any member of the Shinawatra clan in a Hilux Vigo - even looking at one in a show-room. FTM, even a Lexus.

As oppose to you, the red shirt apologist, that is happy for a corruption that you think benefit you and abhor if it doesn't.

Double-standard is the dish you guys have for breakfast.

Couldnt agree more...

Mark The Teacher, what is your subject? Not Math nor English I presume. Philosophy?

Credibility smedibility.

It means nothing to Japans diplomatic service what happens here.

The only credibility issue is whether, the 'FM designate', prior to a government policy statement, and his even having keys to his office, did he over stepped his, at that time, unassigned, un-officially conveyed authority, to even TALK to Japans FM officially?

Let alone on a subject that essentiallty contravenes Thai laws.

It would seem he is destined to have a Noppadom-ish trajectory.

Legal forced to resign because he doesn't even know the legal parameters of his job description. Thaksin sure can pick'em.

Two things come to mind for WHY.

Thaklsin wants to rehabilitate his image and a top level Asian visit would be better that the west, the Asians more likely to play ball. Secondly no doubt he is holding up a HUGE wad of cash to some Japanese Oligarchs for investment in some projects and the word was passed to let Thaksin come and spend some dosh in Japan.

I doubt there is much more that this involved.

But Kuhn incoming FM is in the Krapper quick fast just like Nopadom was... Isn't there like a book of rule someone hands them when appointed? If so they don't seem to read it before acting.

Edited by animatic

Credibility smedibility.

It means nothing to Japans diplomatic service what happens here.

The only credibility issue is whether, the 'FM designate', prior to a government policy statement, and his even having keys to his office, did he over stepped his, at that time, unassigned, un-officially conveyed authority, to even TALK to Japans FM officially?

Let alone on a subject that essentiallty contravenes Thai laws.

It would seem he is destined to have a Noppadom-ish trajectory.

Legal forced to resign because he doesn't even know the legal parameters of his job description. Thaksin sure can pick'em.

Two things come to mind for WHY.

Thaklsin wants to rehabilitate his image and a top level Asian visit would be better that the west, the Asians more likely to play ball. Secondly no doubt he is holding up a HUGE wad of cash to some Japanese Oligarchs for investment in some projects and the word was passed to let Thaksin come and spend some dosh in Japan.

I doubt there is much more that this involved.

But Kuhn incoming FM is in the Krapper quick fast just like Nopadom was... Isn't there like a book of rule someone hands them when appointed? If so they don't seem to read it before acting.

Nice analysis.

I particularly like your last paragraph. The new FM and Noppadon can't get their thoughts / activities past one thing - ass l... their paymaster. And they don't seem give any thought at all as to what might very well bounce back at them. It's just 'YES SIR!' all the way!

As oppose to you, the red shirt apologist, that is happy for a corruption that you think benefit you and abhor if it doesn't.

Double-standard is the dish you guys have for breakfast.

Those who accept corruption as 'unchangeable' in Thailand are notgiving much logical thought to the future of their loved ones / their children etc.

My question JergenG is what makes you think that a graduate is the one writing the editorial and second what does you comment have to do with the obvious strategies being put into action for the interest one man? Thanks

Don't understand you JurgenG at all, why you do not see the wrongs in all these Thaksin interferences.

He has nearly taken over the elected party, using his own sister for his own benefits, causing chaos within the country he said he loves, creating diplomatic problems, and he doesn't care one monkeys.

The actual elected /appointed primeminister dare not speak about her brothers actions, and is covering up for him-in denial, and just playing for time. The P.M. is playing a game with the Thai people who she thinks are that dumb they cannot see through the ploy.

You carry on JergenG it's your view, OR a Total wind up, there were wrongs with the Abhisit government but not on a scale and as blatant as this.

I do not understand you either.

It's pretty clear to Mr.T, Puea Thai, Red shirts are saying laud and clear " SO WHAT " to haters' face.

Explaining reasons don't seem to help any. Obviously, this time around, their supports are more than ready.

By mean 'ready' I guess you know what I'm about to say - mass protest, violence, bombs etc - you know ... that stuff.

It is a shame that you are deficient in values and morals even after spending most of your adult life in a western country. I'm sure it is not an inherited trait, but simply the way that you were brought up. Hopefully contact with us and our values might help to change the situation in Asian countries, and instead of some good coming from governments, they might even get to most of it (I despair for ALL, unrealistic!).

I would be interested of any pictures that you may have of any member of the Shinawatra clan in a Hilux Vigo - even looking at one in a show-room. FTM, even a Lexus.

It is your opinion that I am deficient in (your Western) values and morals, so you are of course entitled to it. It is because I have spent (not most) but a large part of my adult life in a western country that I am glad that Asians have not adopted the western values. Lack of respect, no culture to speak of - these are just two examples. Your comment "Hopefully contact with us and our values might help to change the situation in Asian countries" is extremely condescending and one of the main reasons why generally foreigners are not very well liked. You might get lip service from the Nana girls (hello welcome, you hansum man) and there will also be many naive and ignorant Isaan girls who think that marrying a foreigner will give them a better life but the majority of Thais are quite happy to have little to no dealings with arrogant foreigners like you.

Re: Hilux Vigo - your comprehension leaves a lot to be desired. My point is that the Dems are the party of the elites and PT, the party of the poor rural folk, WHO drives Hilux Vigos.