Medical Insurance For The Over Seventies

jagi00

Most of them that I have seen spits you out at 80/85 and then dont give you enough cover for an operation into the bargain. I have 2 thoughts for you. 1. If you are married to a Thai and have a house maybe you could get a Yellow Book this would get you a thai health card and access to Govt hospitals. 2. Why dont you just put a monthly sum away, which you would have paid to an insurance company into some accessable account which might give you some added financial benefit as well, if you need to access it its there, if not you still have the money to do with as you will, or somebody else to benefit if you dont wake up one morning.

"1. If you are married to a Thai and have a house maybe you could get a Yellow Book this would get you a thai health card and access to Govt hospitals."

I realize you are saying 'maybe'...

You don't have to be married to get a Yellow Book.

Many reports say you don't get a health card just because you are in a Yellow Book.

I believe those that say they have gotten a card, got them a while back.

Insurance companies are only interested in you when you aren't a risk. As soon as it seems likely that they may have to pay out on you, they dump you like the proverbial hot potato.

Just insure yourself; the odds are in your favour.

Insurance companies are only interested in you when you aren't a risk. As soon as it seems likely that they may have to pay out on you, they dump you like the proverbial hot potato.

Just putting that one to the test!! Had 3 claims in the last 4 years and am well ahead on the game, wonder if they will, as you say, 'dump me like the proverbial hot potato' when renewal time comes next year.

Just putting that one to the test!! Had 3 claims in the last 4 years and am well ahead on the game, wonder if they will, as you say, 'dump me like the proverbial hot potato' when renewal time comes next year.

Probably not but your premium will go up plus the illnesses you had will be classed as 'prior known medical conditions' and not covered.

"1. If you are married to a Thai and have a house maybe you could get a Yellow Book this would get you a thai health card and access to Govt hospitals."

Many reports say you don't get a health card just because you are in a Yellow Book.

I have a yellow book,but no health card.A yellow house book does not entitle you to get one.

Probably not but your premium will go up plus the illnesses you had will be classed as 'prior known medical conditions' and not covered.

Indeed.

My brother is an actuary. He would be the first person to confirm that insurance companies always price according to risk, and will dump the big risks at all times.

Anything else would be philanthropy, and insurance companies just don't go in for that sort of thing.

What about a western insurance company?

Surely they are your best bet, considering that all medical treatment is viewed as cheaper here than in the see (see medical tourists).

Or do you think they view life in Thailand as being high risk on its own??

Bangkok Bank just introduced their PA 1st Senior insurance program for their customers between the ages of 50 - 100. It's accident insurance only and doesn't even cover accidents if you're driving or a passenger on a motorcycle, but the price is right -- 5130 baht per year for their highest level of coverage. It covers other accidents or if you're a victim of crime. It also includes 600,000 baht of life insurance, if you die due to an accident. It took some doing, and several discussions with Bangkok Bank reps, but finally one secured an English language translation of the policy and we rewarded her by buying two policies.

Definitely better than nothing since accidents are much bigger cause of hospitalizations here than in western countries. Available just to Bangkok Bank account holders.

Accident insurances are Nonsense.

The real risk is illness and that includes accidents. Illness in high age are much more common than accidents.

So insure yourself accordingly, but insure only the really expensive risks. Cancer, heart transplants etc.

Congrats to anyone living in Thailand in their seventies (my dream!)

Saga insurance may well be worth a look!

As for hot potato's there is an amusing thread current on the humble spud in general topics.

I got my health card through having a yellow book late last year.

I have a yellow book,but no health card.A yellow house book does not entitle you to get one.

Just because you have not been issued with one does not mean you are not entitled to one.

I was surprised when I got mine as I had not asked, it was just delivered to my house for me.

When I enquired I was told that it was issued to me as a direct consequence of acquiring a yellow book and appearing in official address records.

Maybe my local issuing office is simply efficient at getting them out.

I got my health card through having a yellow book late last year.

I realy would like you inform me where you got the healthcare card,

By my knowledge based on information given by the director of the national healthcare head office in Bangkok (Jasmin building Chaeng Wattana) a foreigner is not entitled to have such a card. Regardles you have a yellow Tabian Baan or not.

I had a more than 2 hour talk with her, and she explained me in detail about the national healthcare.

Once you have the insurance and you have a problem, it is NOT classified as a prior known medical condition. On the other hand, if you had a problem before you signed up with that company it is.

• 6 months later...

Just read this topic, have a interesting question.

If you have a Yellow Tabian Baan, and a healthcare card was issued to you, is a previously known medical situation (cancer,diabetis, cardiovascular disease etc. ) covered in the National Thai Healthcare scheme? Or can treatment be refused?

One might think, any insurance company, private or national, will have the new applicant examined

and the health situation is then evaluated.

Again, one is not automatically entitled to a healthcare card.

Could be that there is also a age limit?

Here is a link I posted on another thread - there are two recent discussions below that both touch on this topic. Some people don't seem to want to know the correct answer, even when it is posted. Henry has it just about right above - although I don't know who he saw in the NHSO because the Secretary-General, Dr Winai Sawasdivorn, is male. But anyway I have had this same message from others near the top of the organisation. I think that some Westerners may indeed have obtained gold cards in the past, but there is no certainty that they could use them in local hospitals and the people at the top of the NHSO would regard this as illegitimate. Who knows though what some physician directors in remote community hospitals may allow!

Incidentally, the universal coverage scheme, like most public health insurance schemes, does not exclude pre-existing conditions and has no upper age limit for members.

http://www.nhso.go.t...04,%202009).pdf

Edited by citizen33

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone explain what is a "Yellow Book"?

thanks.