Welcome To Phuket: Swede Robbed Of B1 Million On Day One

webfact

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Invest in a dog or 2...lot of posters been slagging off the recent involvements of mans best friend..but i have 2 and no Thais dare come near our home..Why...because they are Farang dogs...and they are well looked after...you take care of yer dogs and they will take care of you..it's not rocket science.

Invest in a dog or 2...lot of posters been slagging off the recent involvements of mans best friend..but i have 2 and no Thais dare come near our home..Why...because they are Farang dogs...and they are well looked after...you take care of yer dogs and they will take care of you..it's not rocket science.

wonder what the price of your dogs killing a person is… good luck with that.

Ugg...again with the misuse of the word "robbed." A robbery is though force or fear, as in a mugging or home invasion where victims get tied up. A burglary is simply a theft from a home, which is what this is. How is it that writers and editors, whose job it is to know the definition of words, not know this?

wonder what the price of your dogs killing a person is… good luck with that.

Probably zero

Ugg...again with the misuse of the word "robbed." A robbery is though force or fear, as in a mugging or home invasion where victims get tied up. A burglary is simply a theft from a home, which is what this is. How is it that writers and editors, whose job it is to know the definition of words, not know this?

It's Thailand. English isn't their first language. How many English speaking people would know the slight difference in definition?

It's Thailand. English isn't their first language. How many English speaking people would know the slight difference in definition?

But many readers do know the difference. Dumbing things down for ignorant people should not be the goal of any respectable news outlet, which I am sure is how they see themselves. If their job is to write in English about things like burglaries and robberies, they should know the difference no matter what country they are in. Ah, but "robbery" is a headline grabber. I came looking for a story of a robbery. Instead it's just another burglary which happens several times a day in Phuket. If it's due to ignorance, then that's sloppy journalism. If intentional then that shows a lack of journalistic integrity. Maybe a bit of both. Pedantic, yes, but it's a pet peeve of mine. Judging by your signature I would bet you noticed it too.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Why bother living in Thailand if you don't want Thais coming near your home?

What sort of burglar uses a stick to pry open a screen? Around here even the most down on their luck burglar carries a pocket knife or box cutter that will quickly and silently cut through most screens.

Sounds more like an opportunist theft. Someone turns up, sees bag and decides to steal it.

I got robbed of 14M and a son.

Such is life, BEFORE you know its culture "and after", as long as you learn your way.

I picked up and started again.

So be it.

Such is life. More fool me! - as it was my error.

Believe me, I'm happier now with less than before! :rolleyes: , cos I now have nothing. :rolleyes:

Thailand is full of good women. It isn't as bad as many posters complain about. Have faith.

Don't put your assets into the view of anyone, apart from your accountant ABROAD. :jap:

Do that, and you are fine!

-m.

SO TRUE SO VERY TRUE saying that there is bad all around the world both men women but yea especially in thailand you have be soooooo careful

I am surprised at the people who come to Thailand and buy anything. Except a car and motorcycle. I have lived here 3 years. I own a nice home in the states and cars. Thailand is one of the worst investments a man or woman can make if an outsider. Amazing..... I have never met so many stupid Europeans in my life.

Why bother living in Thailand if you don't want Thais coming near your home?

But many readers do know the difference. Dumbing things down for ignorant people should not be the goal of any respectable news outlet, which I am sure is how they see themselves. If their job is to write in English about things like burglaries and robberies, they should know the difference no matter what country they are in. Ah, but "robbery" is a headline grabber. I came looking for a story of a robbery. Instead it's just another burglary which happens several times a day in Phuket. If it's due to ignorance, then that's sloppy journalism. If intentional then that shows a lack of journalistic integrity. Maybe a bit of both. Pedantic, yes, but it's a pet peeve of mine. Judging by your signature I would bet you noticed it too.

Worse things happen in the UK. Many papers reported that a man got jailed for stealing a doughnut. In fact there was much more to in than that. The guy also broke his asbo, and only came out of jail that day. His sentence was for a combination of things, but the papers still misreported it because it made a better story. Happens in lots of countries. It's a newspaper, what do you expect? Seriously?

What sort of burglar uses a stick to pry open a screen? Around here even the most down on their luck burglar carries a pocket knife or box cutter that will quickly and silently cut through most screens.

shawndoc, it is a steel barred security door with a screen attached to stop bugs. I can assure you the screen is not the 'security' component of the door.

Sounds more like an opportunist theft. Someone turns up, sees bag and decides to steal it.

I think he would of been better 1st to get the place insured before he moved in and having a door with metal bars of sum description or a solid teak door with a proper 5 lever mortice lock that would do the trick some people are so sillllllllllllllllllllly

No offence intended but strictly speaking, you are also incorrect. A burglary requires that the perpetrator has to be inside the house. It seems that in this case, he/she merely "fished" out the bag which would be a simple case of theft. I only brought this up as you mentioned that it's a pet peeve of yours so I thought you might be interested to know this little trivia.

Well isn't it obvious? His girlfriend set-up this theft? Or am I being paranoid?

Yes... u r a paranoid...

I have had two loving relationships in Thailand during three and a half years... n i found both of my GFs to be very very honest... both of them from Bangkok and with Thai-Chinese wealthy family background...

Yes... I do hold a PhD and I am not a white "farang" guy... so u could trust in me...

ahhh the mosquito screen didn't deter them? now Sherlock, here's our case, it was either a 'blood sucking insect" or the "Thai gf"? but whats the difference. Watson?

I rest my case !

:rolleyes:

I got robbed of 14M and a son.

Such is life, BEFORE you know its culture "and after", as long as you learn your way.

I picked up and started again.

So be it.

Such is life. More fool me! - as it was my error.

Believe me, I'm happier now with less than before! :rolleyes: , cos I now have nothing. :rolleyes:

Thailand is full of good women. It isn't as bad as many posters complain about. Have faith.

Don't put your assets into the view of anyone, apart from your accountant ABROAD. :jap:

Do that, and you are fine!

-m.

so sad to read your story because your Thai son will miss his father for ever ( that explains why so many become ladyboys and boys are never kept under control growing a huge ego because raised by a mother only and grand parents often much too liberal to satisfy only their entertainment pleasures not to improve or educate rightly.....) and those Thai women are extremely selfish, self centered not giving a s**t to their Thai males and stealing from farangs at any opportunity. It nearly happened to me the same but I strongly with calm reacted kicking out from our life the parents and parasite teaching our son only Thai by giving him many hours a day with me enlightening his/my life with English speaking now added French kid song plus an other brother in few weeks expected. It is worth the fight and never give up this is your our life.

I have been fighting every one with smiles and the more I express a No I am respected because smiling yes like we are abused.

It is nice you had survived, congratulations to you and thanks for sharing but so unfair to you......to him.....

Seriously anal

Kindly remove the "Buddha" component of your screen name, and replace it with something more befitting your personality, such as Pooper, and then perhaps swap things around, so that ScubaBuddha becomes not ScubaPooper, but PooperScuba, or go the whole hog, and just make it PooperScooper, and be done with it. Yes, that's much better. PooperScooper kind of flows, and we all know what it's about, but most importantly, your name ceases to be a pretentious parasite on the sanctity of the Buddha. Might I remind you that this is Thailand.

Edited by TechnikaIII

ahhh the mosquito screen didn't deter them? now Sherlock, here's our case, it was either a 'blood sucking insect" or the "Thai gf"? but whats the difference. Watson?

I rest my case !

On the contrary Doctor watson, the blood sucking insect will take what it needs then leave.

The later wants your assets, mind, body and soul until there is nothing left.

Elementary, my dear 'kevbap.

I rest my case !

Sounds fishy and big one,no doubts it was inside job or Neighbours tours as it happen nowdays more...

Kindly remove the "Buddha" component of your screen name, and replace it with something more befitting your personality, such as Pooper, and then perhaps swap things around, so that ScubaBuddha becomes not ScubaPooper, but PooperScuba, or go the whole hog, and just make it PooperScooper, and be done with it. Yes, that's much better. PooperScooper kind of flows, and we all know what it's about, but most importantly, your name ceases to be a pretentious parasite on the sanctity of the Buddha. Might I remind you that this is Thailand.

So you don't disagree with me then. :)

No offence intended but strictly speaking, you are also incorrect. A burglary requires that the perpetrator has to be inside the house. It seems that in this case, he/she merely "fished" out the bag which would be a simple case of theft. I only brought this up as you mentioned that it's a pet peeve of yours so I thought you might be interested to know this little trivia.

Excellent point! And no offense taken!! However, I must also express my lack off intentions to offend. In the jurisdiction in which I was taught law, this was still a burglary. Not sure about Thailand. Most of these basic laws are the same around the world and I would be surprised if most countries, including Thailand, didn't define burglary in the same way. It just depends on the how each state or country has written the law and how the courts interpret them.

For purposes of California burglary law, you "enter" a building or other location when

1) any part of your body crosses the outer limits of that location, or

2) when any object under your control crosses those limits.

source: http://www.shouselaw.com/burglary.html#difference

Even the 17th century influential English barrister, judge and jurist Sir Mathew Hale defined common law burglary in this way: "Entering can involve either physical entry by a person or the insertion of an instrument with which to remove property."

One thing for sure is there is no jurisdiction in the world that would define this as a robbery.

Burglary vs. Robbery http://ezinearticles.com/?Burglary-Vs-Robbery---Understanding-the-Difference&id=2823707

Edited by ScubaBuddha