PM Yingluck Will Brief The Press Twice A Week

webfact

PM will brief the press twice a week

By Jeerapong Prasertpolkrung

The Nation

30163257-01.jpg

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra appears to have found one way to deal with the media's difficult political questions - by scheduling media interviews twice a week.

"I don't think I will have to give an interview every day. Twice a week is fine unless there is a hot issue, because ministers will give interviews to the media daily," she told reporters yesterday during a visit to press centres at Government House.

Yingluck has been criticised for failing to give reporters clear answers, instead seeming to avoid questions by saying all details will be given or explained by the ministers involved.

Most of her replies have been along the lines of "everything goes in line with prescribed procedures", "let involved people or agencies answer the questions or give the details", or "it involved details that I did not know about".

However, Yingluck yesterday seemed to answer reporters' questions more than on previous days since she took office. She was asked several questions related to several matters.

Normally, an uncomfortable Yingluck finished the news conference quickly, as reporters were not as interested in policy matters as they were in her brother, fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Again yesterday she was asked whether she was uncomfortable being asked about Thaksin. She said she felt pressure but time would tell how she worked for the people.

She said she had not talked to her fugitive brother lately and refused to reply but walked away when asked whether she would ask Thaksin to avoid making moves that would affect her position as prime minister.

She insisted it was not a mistake to choose Surapong Towichukchaikul as Foreign Minister. She thought it was fine that Surapong used an interpreter when giving interviews to foreign media. He would want to make his message clear.

Reacting to the opposition Democrat Party's movement to impeach Surapong for helping her brother, Yingluck said her government would clarify the issue.

When asked to elaborate, she said: "We will certainly clarify that. Surapong will clarify it in detail. He followed legal processes. Meeting with diplomats is common for the Foreign Ministry.

"We also have policies to promote international relations. This is a big matter. Could you please give us some time? We want to do our best, and we can explain everything," she said.

To cut off the conversation, Yingluck told the questioning reporters, "Oh my! I don't want to take away other ministers' chances to answer to the media.

"You might also feel bored of my face," she said before leaving quickly.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-20

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brain the size of a thimble this one.

I wish there were Thai political satire shows in on the TV (along the lines of HIGNFY) . She would be absolute gold. (but then again most Thai politicians would be as well).

"We can explain everything" - Please do ! cause so far you've explained nothing.

One of the Red shirt leaders commented that Abhisit was only good at talking. Well if that's true Abhisits already got one up on the current incumbent cause she doesn't even talk.

""You might also feel bored of my face," she said"

She's got that right. If she answered more than usual, why is it that I don't see an answer?

Here's a question for a trainee reporter - "Why did YOU pick Surapong as FM?"

On occasion, the PM will be too busy (hair, nails, Gucchi) to attend, but she has arranged for a cardboard cut-out to be used to replace her, along with a taped set of standard non-informative responses.

PTP and television station technicians are working on a way to duplicate the charismatic effect of her smile. Either a focused mini-spotlight or a translucent section in the cut-out with a back-light are being considered, perhaps both. They feel that if this can be simulated, reporters will not be deprived by her absence.

I wish there were Thai political satire shows in on the TV (along the lines of HIGNFY) . She would be absolute gold. (but then again most Thai politicians would be as well).

"We can explain everything" - Please do ! cause so far you've explained nothing.

One of the Red shirt leaders commented that Abhisit was only good at talking. Well if that's true Abhisits already got one up on the current incumbent cause she doesn't even talk.

There used to be a puppet based satirical political Thai TV program. They had good Chavalits and Thaksins.

There used to be a puppet based satirical political Thai TV program. They had good Chavalits and Thaksins.

I seem to recall a cartoon-series, from several years ago, with a taxi-driver talking to a square-headed male-passenger in-the-back ? Shades of the UK's Private-Eye column 'A taxi-driver writes' ! :rolleyes:

It would indeed be a healthy sign, if there were to be more satire on Thai TV, regardless of whoever is in-power ! B)

Until the defamation suits started arriving...................

I actually think it is a good thing in general for any PM to speak twice a week excpet when something is important and let responsible ministers speak more. That enables ministers to be better known for what they do or dont do and in theory be more accountable rather than using the government figurehead to hog the limelight. Ministers should also be able to give more specific information on projects

I actually think it is a good thing in general for any PM to speak twice a week excpet when something is important and let responsible ministers speak more. That enables ministers to be better known for what they do or dont do and in theory be more accountable rather than using the government figurehead to hog the limelight. Ministers should also be able to give more specific information on projects

"and let responsible ministers speak more"

Do they have any responsible ministers?

That is what we want to know. I should have written ministers responsible for specific areas. To be fair there were at least 4-5 in the last government who couldnt have talked about their subject area. To date in the current one we know of one

Plus any time Yingluk speaks the press focus will more than likely be on her inability to answer a question or evasiveness and then the whole bloody three ring circus starts all over again.

Good idea . except the ministers don't know what they are thinking until they get a call from Dubai or Cambodia or Japan or wherever the BIG boss is at that moment :whistling:

Good idea . except the ministers don't know what they are thinking until they get a call from Dubai or Cambodia or Japan or wherever the BIG boss is at that moment :whistling:

If you want that exposed then this system will do so over time. Remember how all the little power games between partners of the last lot got exposed and they tried to use Abhisit for everything to avoid that. However, dont underestimate the actual technical ability of some of the current ministers. The FM is obviously out of his depth even forgetting the visa stuff, but some others are quite clued up on things.

Thaksin seems more interested in controlling FM and energy. The coalition allies choices or at least most of them could be good for a laugh too. Maybe more so than PTPs. However, will they even be targetted when they will be 100% needed if the Dems are ever to form a government?

That is what we want to know. I should have written ministers responsible for specific areas. To be fair there were at least 4-5 in the last government who couldnt have talked about their subject area. To date in the current one we know of one

We only know of one because only one has had much to say. Pichai's idea of borrowing B36 billion to give the rich a fuel price cut makes me think we may have 2 from 2.

Here's another...

I am less enthusiastic about the tablet scheme now that I know they will spend 10% of the national education budget on it.

Yes, that was the news today. 6 BILLION BAHT per year.

The new Education Minister went on to say that it would come out of the budget that was previously devoted to providing free school uniforms for students as well as free textbooks

The clueless guy EM Worawut, who obviously has never come close to caring for school-aged children, said, "This will not affect students and the overall education program because... uniforms do not need to be changed to new ones every year."

What a moron.

Another gem from the Chief of Educating the Youth of Thailand, "The tablets will not completely replace textbooks. They will act like calculators the help the student to calculate faster."

:blink:

Education Minister Worawat Ua-apinyakul previously was the genius as Culture Minister, when he came up with idea of producing black magic amulets, including phallus and buffalo-shaped ones, as souvenirs for tourists.

Phallus Symbols And Buffaloes To Attrract More Tourists

Reading some of the comments, I am struck by the common characteristic of resentment and bitterness. The article is about the PM stating that she plans to meet with the news media 2X a week. The PM has been accused of not being accessible by the same people now ridiculing her for being accessible.

If one finds the sexist and ignorant remarks about "flouncing" and "lipstick" acceptable it explains why some people have failed marriages, have failed in the workplace and failed at managing or leading.

Grow up. It's 2011 and outside of the beer bars, women are not chattel nor domestic servants anymore.

Edited by geriatrickid

Reading some of the comments, I am struck by the common characteristic of resentment and bitterness. The article is about the PM stating that she plans to meet with the news media 2X a week. The PM has been accused of not being accessible by the same people now ridiculing her for being accessible.

If one finds the sexist and ignorant remarks about "flouncing" and "lipstick" acceptable it explains why some people have failed marriages, have failed in the workplace and failed at managing or leading.

Grow up. It's 2011 and outside of the beer bars, women are not chattel nor domestic servants anymore.

Oh right,she is not chattel. She is a clone

She didn't talk in the campaign either. What did people expect?

It's early, but I think it would be hard for any objective person to say that she isn't performing even LOWER than expectations. I don't see a shred of evidence based on her past and her background that she will get better. Ever.

So when is the next election?

Edited by Jingthing

From OP:

Reacting to the opposition Democrat Party's movement to impeach Surapong for helping her brother, Yingluck said her government would clarify the issue.

When asked to elaborate, she said: "We will certainly clarify that. Surapong will clarify it in detail. He followed legal processes. Meeting with diplomats is common for the Foreign Ministry.

Although I'm willing to believe not all of the theNation editors are native English speakers, something got really lost in translation it seems. 'when asked to elaborate on clarifying the issue, she said we'll certainly clarify that' So now we're looking forward to clarifications on clarifying the governments position regarding the Dem's impeachment move?

Ms. Evasiveness doesn't need to give two press conferences a week, once a month saying "we'll certainly clarify" should be enough. :ermm:

Edited by rubl

A wise decision

Holding just two press conferences a week to say nothing is more than enough...

To quote the great Gertrude Stein --

There is no there there.

From that perspective, that's a good point. Thai democracy making progress ... where do I sign the contract to buy that bridge?

Edited by Jingthing

Had the PM been a man and said the things Ms. Yingluck said the comments would already start in the conference room before continuing here. If we had 'late-night jokers' like in America

""Michele Bachmann was asked if she was a submissive wife. She said no, but her husband is." —Jay Leno"

She insisted it was not a mistake to choose Surapong Towichukchaikul as Foreign Minister. She thought it was fine that Surapong used an interpreter when giving interviews to foreign media. He would want to make his message clear.

Seems a pity that the foreign minister couldn't have been one with the ability to speak English. If the government was a private company, fluency in languages, most especially English, would surely be top of the requirement list for the post.

Hey, guys, don't you have better things to do than sit at your keyboards bitching and moaning?

This is nothing more than another Nation opinion / propaganda piece dressed up as a "real news article".

And I support GKs comment earlier as well - at least one sane person comments here regularly... ;)