Le Beaulieu

mickmac

Went down to Le Beaulieu,(hope the spelling is okay), last Sunday Lunch. approx.800 baht per head from the set lunch menu.

Price is a little steep, but all 4 of us found the food to be very good. The only disappointing thing for me was the wine list, which I thought was poor.

Plenty of areas to park, so that is not an issue. If turning on to Chiang Mai land from Chang Klan, one then has to drive almost over to the very far side, where signs in the central road divide will then indicate where to turn to get to the restaurant. If coming into CML from the other side, its one or two soi's in on the right hand side, again look for where to turn signposted on the central road divide.

Will go back for a go at the "a la carte" menu one evening soon.

I Hope you will enjoy dining there.

(P.S. I have no affilliation to this restaurant)

At 800 baht per head, that would cost me 4000 baht for my family and myself.

Sorry, too rich for me, although it sounds like a great place for those who can afford it.

Maybe I`ll save up the pennies and dine alone.

Edited by Beetlejuice

For an 800B prix fixe lunch review how about some details that might begin to justify it ? How many courses ? What were you served ? What meats, sauces ? How was the dessert choice ?

As you can see: Restaurant - LUNCH - 800B is not getting alot of positive interest. We need some details, please.

I have not seen the necessity of the often written "Cheapskate Charlie" and such references in TV but now that someone has given an honest post about a place that is expensive, as noted by the OP, all everyone one is commenting is the price. I actually tried their food at the International Food Festival and wanted to check out the restaurant (and probably won't take the whole extended family along) so I was happy to get some more details. I agree some more about the food would have been helpful but that was his call. If one cannot or does not want to spend this kind of money on a meal that's fine. I love to read the latest super car reviews and look at the mega mansions for sale and have no intention or financial ability to purchase either. At today's rate it's $26.84 pr person, not exactly unaffordable for many. As a nondrinker and smoker I find it humorous how many say they cannot afford this and that as I think how many other things ones who do partake in either or both could afford if they saved that money. It's "up to you" for sure, but the post was not about how expensive it was, and yes this reply is as off topic as the rest that I'm complaining about (it is early Sunday morning and B.C. (before coffee) for me) but I believe the OP was not throwing in your face how he could afford it, just adding his two cents, or eight hundred baht as the case may be.

I have not seen the necessity of the often written "Cheapskate Charlie" and such references in TV but now that someone has given an honest post about a place that is expensive, as noted by the OP, all everyone one is commenting is the price.

Very perceptive as usual. :thumbsup:

At today's rate it's $26.84 pr person, not exactly unaffordable for many. As a nondrinker and smoker I find it humorous how many say they cannot afford this and that as I think how many other things ones who do partake in either or both could afford if they saved that money.

It's not the case of not affording it, one just gets used to paying so much less than that for food!

David

I have not seen the necessity of the often written "Cheapskate Charlie" and such references in TV but now that someone has given an honest post about a place that is expensive, as noted by the OP, all everyone one is commenting is the price.

I for one wouldn't call it expensive, rather I'd call it not cheap ;) There seems to be an expectation by so many on the many food threads that a place is good only if the food and service is perfect, the bill always adds up exactly with Thai pricing, no service charge or VAT and the whole meal cost less than 100 Bt including tip :rolleyes: The reality is you get what you pay for and so many seem to forget that here.

Edited by Paagai

Good point, I only referred to it as expensive as compared to a lot of other dining options here. I say the same thing in America when people compare restaurants w/o considering the price differences. But I have experienced here that sometimes you don't get what you pay for and rightly expect, not only here but more often than where they treat the dining experience with a professional business approach.

I for one wouldn't call it expensive, rather I'd call it not cheap ;) There seems to be an expectation by so many on the many food threads that a place is good only if the food and service is perfect, the bill always adds up exactly with Thai pricing, no service charge or VAT and the whole meal cost less than 100 Bt including tip :rolleyes: The reality is you get what you pay for and so many seem to forget that here.

So far, we know they have pizza and a disappointing wine list.

biggrin.gif I agree, it would be nice if the OP made some reference to what in particular was good. I mean just to say 'the food was good' for 800 Baht is ridiculous. Did they have lobster, salmon, truffles, caviar, steaks......what was good???

We already know the pizza is OK. rolleyes.gif

Edited by uptheos

:rolleyes: The reality is you get what you pay for and so many seem to forget that here.

That's great news!

We can dispense with restaurant reviews. Just decide what kind of food you want and find the most expensive place you can afford, secure in the knowledge that the more you pay, the better the experience will be. Same should hold for selecting condos, services, hotels, tours. We can also rid the language of useless terms like bargain and rip-off. So simple.

:rolleyes: The reality is you get what you pay for and so many seem to forget that here.

That's great news!

We can dispense with restaurant reviews. Just decide what kind of food you want and find the most expensive place you can afford, secure in the knowledge that the more you pay, the better the experience will be. Same should hold for selecting condos, services, hotels, tours. We can also rid the language of useless terms like bargain and rip-off. So simple.

Your logic is back to front. Just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's always good - BUT, if you pay peanuts you know already what you're likely gonna get. Many here seem to expect a silk purse when they only paid for the proverbial sow's ear.

Edited by Paagai

There seems to be an expectation by so many on the many food threads that a place is good only if the food and service is perfect, the bill always adds up exactly with Thai pricing, no service charge or VAT and the whole meal cost less than 100 Bt including tip :rolleyes:

Those Thai Visa Gourmets have very high standards. :lol:

Edited by Ulysses G.

There seems to be an expectation by so many on the many food threads that a place is good only if the food and service is perfect, the bill always adds up exactly with Thai pricing, no service charge or VAT and the whole meal cost less than 100 Bt including tip :rolleyes:

Those Thai Visa Gourmets have very high standards. :lol:

Sure, that describes people who ask questions about an 800 baht lunch.

And people who dislike seeing shirtless falangs drinking by a wat want everyone to wear suits and ties.

You guys have a fine wit - between the two of you.

Can we get real, please?

Many here seem to expect a silk purse when they only paid for the proverbial sow's ear.

So true, but we need to know more about the restaurant in the OP to get a sense of which category it falls into. ;)

Went there at my daughters request for her birthday, she had tasted some of the food at the airport plaza foof festival and she liked it.

We arrived there and found we were the only guests, so the atmosphere was subdued to say the least.

Starters: Wife had crab cake, which I thought looked a little over cooked but she said was good.Daughter had Avacado and crab salad which was very tasty. Son had pumpkin soup which got a thumbs up from all that tried it. I had the pate which was decent.

Main course, Son and Daughter had the daily special of lamb shanks, quite large ones and tasty.

Wife had the Sea bass, which she enjoyed.I had the beef cheek on mashed potatoe, which was very well cooked.

Dessert: three of us had the mango and passion fruit cappucino whilst son had the apple tart,(french style apple tatin) with ice cream which was also well recieved.

There was no one-upmanship intended when mentioning the price, it is what it is. Its usually the first thing thats asked about a restaurant, whether its expensive of not.

I hope this clears a few things up. I will be going back on an evening to test the "a la carte" menu, though I expect that will be more expensive, but will give a better idea of the food quality, as hopefully not so many dishes will be pre-made,(lamb shanks etc). There will, hopefully be more people there to lend it some ambiance as well.

Regards

Mickmac

Many here seem to expect a silk purse when they only paid for the proverbial sow's ear.

So true, but we need to know more about the restaurant in the OP to get a sense of which category it falls into. ;)

Went there at my daughters request for her birthday, she had tasted some of the food at the airport plaza foof festival and she liked it.

We arrived there and found we were the only guests, so the atmosphere was subdued to say the least.

Starters: Wife had crab cake, which I thought looked a little over cooked but she said was good.Daughter had Avacado and crab salad which was very tasty. Son had pumpkin soup which got a thumbs up from all that tried it. I had the pate which was decent.

Main course, Son and Daughter had the daily special of lamb shanks, quite large ones and tasty.

Wife had the Sea bass, which she enjoyed.I had the beef cheek on mashed potatoe, which was very well cooked.

Dessert: three of us had the mango and passion fruit cappucino whilst son had the apple tart,(french style apple tatin) with ice cream which was also well recieved.

There was no one-upmanship intended when mentioning the price, it is what it is. Its usually the first thing thats asked about a restaurant, whether its expensive of not.

I hope this clears a few things up. I will be going back on an evening to test the "a la carte" menu, though I expect that will be more expensive, but will give a better idea of the food quality, as hopefully not so many dishes will be pre-made,(lamb shanks etc). There will, hopefully be more people there to lend it some ambiance as well.

Regards

Mickmac

So basically; "over cooked crab cake, sea bass and mango & passion fruit cappucino" for 800 Baht.

I'm not surprised you were the only guests.

Regards

Mickmac

So basically; "over cooked crab cake, sea bass and mango & passion fruit cappucino" for 800 Baht.

I suppose that is one way of looking at it. Here's a thought though "O", why don't you go and try it for yourself and put up your own findings, rather than try to denegrate other peoples postings.

If you are going to quote me then please use the full quote "which I thought looked a little over cooked but she said was good", rather than cherry pick bits what you want to put up, a bit like a copper in court giving evidence!!

I've not posted this to get into a pissing match I just wanted to let people know about a restaurant that has opened in CM land, and myself and family all enjoyed. I hope at least some of you will go and give it a try and arrive at your own conclusions as to its worth and quality.

I recently paid over 3000 baht for a meal for two at Chez Marcos which I thoroughly enjoyed and thought was good value (with two bottles of wine). Last week I paid 30 baht for a meal ( no alcohol) in a soi off Moon Muang Rd which I also enjoyed and thought was good value.

Regards

Mickmac

Thanks for the review mate, I think it sounds good.

For that type of food, it doesn't sound expensive

at all.

I should say I'm surprised that people denigrate the place

when they haven't even been there, but I'm not.

People like Paagai are correct. But then again, you're

preaching to the 100 Baht buffet brigade who will never

be happy at paying more than 30 Baht a dish.

It makes you wonder if some of them ever went

out to some place nice in their home countries or did

just live on fast food or TV dinners.

Regards

Will

I suppose that is one way of looking at it. Here's a thought though "O", why don't you go and try it for yourself and put up your own findings, rather than try to denegrate other peoples postings.

If you are going to quote me then please use the full quote "which I thought looked a little over cooked but she said was good", rather than cherry pick bits what you want to put up, a bit like a copper in court giving evidence!!

OK I withdraw the 'over cooked bit' but everything else is the same.

Empty restaurants are never a good sign, you know that and IMHO I haven't read anything in your post that would possible tempt me to try it for 800 Baht. Again IMO the food you describe for 800 baht has done more to keep the place empty than put bums on seats.

I'd sooner walk across the street and get a few excellent buffet meals at The Empress Hotel.smile.gif

Edited by uptheos

Ok I took the bait, tried to resist responding but just had to come back to this topic.

I recently paid over 3000 baht for a meal for two at Chez Marcos which I thoroughly enjoyed and thought was good value (with two bottles of wine). Last week I paid 30 baht for a meal ( no alcohol) in a soi off Moon Muang Rd which I also enjoyed and thought was good value.

Totally agree w/you Saan, I can enjoy food of different price points finding it helpful to keep my expectations in line with the how much I'm paying. But it is a bit hard to interpret the value of your meal since you didn't disclosing the price of the wine, which can vary enormously, or the number of diners. I've also had some well thought out, tasty and professionally presented food at Chez Marco. If you do find a place that's 30 bht INCLUDING booze please be sure to personal message me!

Not only that I agree that you edited the quote to slant it's meaning but one could say why pay more for a perfectly cooked Kobe steak in a wonderful restaurant when you can get a beef steak for 59 bht at a street stall when they are after all both just steak. Some do feel this way, which is fine and I'm sure their passions lie elsewhere, but perhaps they should not be posting on food streams. I'll be sure to resist, with success this time, posting on feminine hygiene products, water buffalo farming (for now at least) and all things mechanical. On a last note I unfortunately see many good restaurants, of varying costs, often empty.