Le Beaulieu

mickmac

I suppose that is one way of looking at it. Here's a thought though "O", why don't you go and try it for yourself and put up your own findings, rather than try to denegrate other peoples postings.

If you are going to quote me then please use the full quote "which I thought looked a little over cooked but she said was good", rather than cherry pick bits what you want to put up, a bit like a copper in court giving evidence!!

OK I withdraw the 'over cooked bit' but everything else is the same.

Empty restaurants are never a good sign, you know that and IMHO I haven't read anything in your post that would possible tempt me to try it for 800 Baht. Again IMO the food you describe for 800 baht has done more to keep the place empty than put bums on seats.

I'd sooner walk across the street and get a few excellent buffet meals at The Empress Hotel.smile.gif

So in future then I'll just get in touch with you when I want to go to a restaurant that hasn't been reviewed in any way shape or form, and get you permission will I? If I hadn't mentioned it would you have known the place existed and if you did know why haven't you got the gumption to get up and visit it and write a review, albeit a poor one?

I may find the food good/bad/indifferent but that is my opinion, you don't seem to be prepared to go and formulate your own opinion.

"Keeping seats empty", Again your opinion, they were empty before so what's been lost, and after all its only your opinion. Whats the phrase theres no such thing as bad publicity!!!!!

I do hope the place will pick up, and that people will give it a fair shake before they make a decision one way or the other.

Buffet meals:- I'm sick to death of them.

If I hadn't mentioned it would you have known the place existed and if you did know why haven't you got the gumption to get up and visit it and write a review, albeit a poor one?

What you have described for 800 baht is a review good enough. I've got better things to do than check out if 800 Baht bass in an empty restaurant is good value. I'm thinking that your protest is such that you might have an interest here.

If I hadn't mentioned it would you have known the place existed and if you did know why haven't you got the gumption to get up and visit it and write a review, albeit a poor one?

What you have described for 800 baht is a review good enough. I've got better things to do than check out if 800 Baht bass in an empty restaurant is good value. I'm thinking that your protest is such that you might have an interest here.

You still have not answered my question, If I hadn't mentioned it would you have known the place existed?

I have no interest at all in this place,as mentioned at the very outset. I believe this and its sister restaurant are offshoots from the main one of the same name in Bangkok, which has quite a good reputation,(see CMSALLY's post earlier in this debate)

If you didn't find the review to your liking, fine then move on, what does annoy me is that you've slated it out of hand without even trying it, thats why I protest the way I do.

Edited by mickmac

Easy boys, easy ! Everything's gonna be fine.

Mack - thanks for getting back with more details. Os, all your points are taken, however, you did bend his quote a bit, you've gotta admit. That said, I still side with you though, Os, as 800 sounds high for a lunch of only 3 courses that don't sound that amazing. A SHANK is pretty darn interesting, but getting up to 800 for it is still steep. And then to get away with a piece of fish for 800 is quite remarkable. If there are all kinds of little flourishes, garnishes, fancy little reductions and emulsions going on with the food then perhaps, maybe on a good day, and for DINNER, I could see spending 800 (maybe).

Perhaps this place can sustain itself, who knows ? CM has more and more upmarket and well-informed gourmands than every before. But still there's a country backwater element here that likes things simple and cheap. CM-sophisticated is rarely on a par with BKK-sophisticated, and so not worthy of Big Mango prices either. Time will be the ultimate arbiter in this case.

** For contrast btw, as I mention BKK, I have a favorite place (haven't been in 3 yrs now !)called C'est Bon that used to do a prix fixe 4 course for 650 baht and 8 course for 1,000 baht. Food was insanely awesome. The Taiwanese owner flew in chefs from France to run his place, and everything was superb. Just two things I remember from the meal: One course was a bit of fois gras with a some kind of fruit sauce reduction. And my main course was snowfish with caviar and a veloutee of some sort. Now it's a given, prices are up since 2007-2008, HOWEVER ! you can see a difference can't you ? I'm talking superior food for a superior price. And plenty of it too!

Whatever the CM fuddy-duddies say, I think many here will pay a fair price for good food made with good ingredients and love. But the love and value relationship better be pretty clear to get a pass from most in the CM crowd, TV and otherwise.

I think that most people are too fixate on the 800baht per head. The impression I got from the OP is that it's not exactly the price, but rather 800baht per head for lunch. Having been there for dinner, I didn't find it excessively expensive.

But 800Bht/head, is rather expensive for a set lunch.

I think that most people are too fixate on the 800baht per head. The impression I got from the OP is that it's not exactly the price, but rather 800baht per head for lunch. Having been there for dinner, I didn't find it excessively expensive.

Exactly! It is expensive for a set lunch, that IMO sounds quite ordinary. If the OP wants to pay OTT prices for set lunches that's up to him, but on a forum, anyone is entitled to pass an opinion and I am rather surprised how defensive the OP is.

Edited by uptheos

Exactly! It is expensive for a set lunch, that IMO sounds quite ordinary. If the OP wants to pay OTT prices for set lunches that's up to him, but on a forum, anyone is entitled to pass an opinion and I am rather surprised how defensive the OP is.

I know its expensive, for Thailand anyway, that was why I mentioned the price from the very outset. Maybe I get defensive when people wrongly insinuate that I'm trying to drum up business to line my own pocket. Fine I understand you are entitled to your opinion, but by the same token surely I'm entitled to mine, or is yours the only one that counts? If you feel 800 is too much for lunch fine, I've no problem with that, all I've tried to do is mention a restaurant that has opened and no one has put up on the forum.

I'll look forward to your next restaurant review, maybe I'll be a bit more open minded than you and will pay it a visit and actually sit down to lunch before I criticise it.

I will say no more on the matter.

I know its expensive, for Thailand anyway, that was why I mentioned the price from the very outset.

But you keep saying " go and try it". What I am saying is that based on your review, I will certainly not try it and I can't think of too many people that are going to pay 800 Baht for a set lunch, in an empty restaurant., in Chiang Mai....It's expensive and the place is empty.........two major reasons to avoid it.

You two should go for a reasonably-priced beer together !

biggrin.gif I doubt if we could agree on 'reasonably priced'.

Despite what you may think UTO's I would still buy the first round O, cheers.

Oh no you wouldn't mick, I would. biggrin.gif cheers.

This restaurant also has its main branch in Bangkok (same name), so if you do a search for that it will probably bring up more details.

Isn't there a Le Beaulieu on the Samoeng Road just as you are getting into the first set of hills? Any connection?????

This restaurant also has its main branch in Bangkok (same name), so if you do a search for that it will probably bring up more details.

Isn't there a Le Beaulieu on the Samoeng Road just as you are getting into the first set of hills? Any connection?????

Did you read post #46?

It's at Hill Lodge on the Samoeng Rd

Did you read post #46?

And the answer is ...... NO

Give it a rest "uptheoz" or "gotlost" reincarnated.I went there last week and had an excellent meal.It was not as expensive as Paris,London,New York,Sydney or LA .If you want to eat cheaply don't read threads like this.

Thank you "mickmac" for your post and giving me a new restaurant to go to.

Went there for dinner, four people, took our own wine and it was about 4000. Worth it for sure. If you want quality products then you have to pay for it. And they cooked it all very well. Sadly, we were one of two tables, but as OP said, hopefully it will pick up. I too enjoy a delightful bowl of cheap noodles or cheap roadside food (had yen ta fo at Mae Rim yesterday, excellent - the shop on the left as you head back to town and it advertises itself as 'best yen ta fo in the world'), but I also like a great cut of imported beef, dover sole, and other more expensive items. Just depends on the mood. So I don't think that for this quality, for an award winning chef's restaurant, it is at all expensive. No point comparing apples to mangos; not same same, definitely different.