Receiving Cargo

Debothai

I am planning to receive 5 boxes of domestic effects sea cargo coming from UAE during next month, and I am in possession of the bill of lading and a handling agent address. What is the step by step procedure of going about this and what are the documents required.

It all depends on the customs agent handling the clearance.

I was told, don't know it it is true, that the agent gets a percentage of the duties and taxes collected by the Customs.

The agent, in that case, will try to get as much out of it as possible.

Which means that the value of your stuff will be higher as it should, or could be.

There seems to be a bottomline for the value, if this is true, don't know.

However, when I imported my stuff, the agent first values my goods so high that I had to pay nearly half a million bath.

Thanks to some help from a family member, the agent was sent by the customs away to make a new set of paperwork.

The handling customs man told my wife that we would have to pay the minimum tax & duties of around 10,000 baht.

Indeed, 4 hours later my container was released after payment of 10244 baht.

It all boils down to the value made up by the customs agent.

However, I heard from someone else he protested to the valuation of the agent with the customs, talked nice to the customs officer, and brought down the value nearly 50%.

Good luck

The clearing agent will need the Bill of Lading and passport copies.

Did your wife live with you in UAE? If so you should have addressed it to her name and provide a copy of her passport with the UAE visas in it.

If you've addressed it in your name you would need to have your work permit in order to not to have to pay taxes.

As already stated Customs make up a valuation which can be negotiated.

• 1 month later...

Initially the handling agents have estimated that I need to pay 50000 baht including transport from BKK port to chon buri. Then my secretary negotiated it down to 10000 baht including transport which is quite reasonable. Still, I am waiting to hear from the agent. What should I do?