Licence Laws

koppite

You can not ride legally on a car licence you must have a bike licence.

Easy to take the test here, you'll get it in English.

Total cost will be with around 500 baht, with health declaration and immigrations papers.

You can get a International Driving Permit for the car in the UK.

An UK driving licence and a IDP is good as long as you don't stay more than 3 months.

If you intend to stay longer is easy to convert your car licence to a Thai licence as long as you have a long term visa (non-B, non-O)

Edited by PoorSucker

Generally though a car license from your home country suffices at police checkpoints and when renting cars and motorcycles as long as your are still a "visitor" and not a "resident". Once a resident you need a Thai license. If a visotor, having an IDP don't hurt but it isn't necessary. Be warned there are lots of bogus IDP's for sale online.

Thailand issues a separate license for each class. Out of curiosity I always present my Thai car license when I am on the motorbike and I get waved on every time.

When I turned my California car and bike license into a Thai license, they didn't ask about what kind of visa I had, but it's possible they they checked and saw it was a Non-B. I have never heard that was a requirement before.

I wouldn't do anything about your licenses until you get here. Use your UK license and when you have time, within a month or so, go to the Lnad Transport Department nearest you and convert your UK license into a Thai one and ask what they want to get a bike license. You will probably have to take the driving and written test for the bike license if your UK license isn't motorcycle endorsed. Since you already have a car license you shouldn't need to fully test for that, just vision and reaction test.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Generally though a car license from your home country suffices at police checkpoints and when renting cars and motorcycles as long as your are still a "visitor" and not a "resident". Once a resident you need a Thai license. If a visotor, having an IDP don't hurt but it isn't necessary. Be warned there are lots of bogus IDP's for sale online.

Thailand issues a separate license for each class. Out of curiosity I always present my Thai car license when I am on the motorbike and I get waved on every time.

When I turned my California car and bike license into a Thai license, they didn't ask about what kind of visa I had, but it's possible they they checked and saw it was a Non-B. I have never heard that was a requirement before.

I wouldn't do anything about your licenses until you get here. Use your UK license and when you have time, within a month or so, go to the Lnad Transport Department nearest you and convert your UK license into a Thai one and ask what they want to get a bike license. You will probably have to take the driving and written test for the bike license if your UK license isn't motorcycle endorsed. Since you already have a car license you shouldn't need to fully test for that, just vision and reaction test.

yep

and most DLT issue Thai DL to any visa/permit to stay holder, it does not need to be Non-B or O

I would seriously consider getting the international driving permit before you leave. A friend of mine did this before leaving the UK and his IDP came back with motorcycle entitlement.

He took the IDP to the licensing office and they gave him a license for cars and one for bikes as well.

Could save you time and a few quid.

Friend of mine was recently stopped here in Pattaya and he only had a UK licence. The officer told him it was no good and requested money which he paid. Better to obtain a Thai licence avoid such situations.

Friend of mine was recently stopped here in Pattaya and he only had a UK licence. The officer told him it was no good and requested money which he paid. Better to obtain a Thai licence avoid such situations.

Cops requesting money unfortunately isn't a good indicator of when you have broken the law or not. They have probably decided that before you are even stopped.

And by contrast, a friend of mine from the UK uses his Blockbuster movie rental card at police stops and that also works. :blink:

If your friend was a resident of Thailand, i.e. living in Thailand, and not just a "tourist" then the cop was right. The lines are fuzzy but a good rule of thumb a lot of people use is 90 days, as that is the length of time a tourist visa is good for and many people report being told by police after 90 days they need a Thai DL. Although technically if you move to Thailand and go straight to a business visa or retirement visa, you need a Thai DL because immediately you are not a tourist but a resident. There are also plenty of stories of people living here for years driving on their home country license and never having any problems. It was 6 or 7 years before I got one and never had a problem. Where you are is also relevant. Here in Phuket and other tourist areas the cops are not going to question your home DL because they will likely assume you are a tourist. In the provinces I have heard more of a problem especially if the cops recognize you.

Cops requesting money unfortunately isn't a good indicator of when you have broken the law or not. They have probably decided that before you are even stopped.

And by contrast, a friend of mine from the UK uses his Blockbuster movie rental card at police stops and that also works. :blink:

If your friend was a resident of Thailand, i.e. living in Thailand, and not just a "tourist" then the cop was right. The lines are fuzzy but a good rule of thumb a lot of people use is 90 days, as that is the length of time a tourist visa is good for and many people report being told by police after 90 days they need a Thai DL. Although technically if you move to Thailand and go straight to a business visa or retirement visa, you need a Thai DL because immediately you are not a tourist but a resident. There are also plenty of stories of people living here for years driving on their home country license and never having any problems. It was 6 or 7 years before I got one and never had a problem. Where you are is also relevant. Here in Phuket and other tourist areas the cops are not going to question your home DL because they will likely assume you are a tourist. In the provinces I have heard more of a problem especially if the cops recognize you.

my son used his library card from back home from he was 15 years old :rolleyes: worked fine for years, to rent bikes, in police checks :)

I do not reckkomend it, as no Insurance cover, not even travel insurance will cover