Retirement Extension In Bangkok As Of Aug 2011

A few months ago, there was a supposed "news" post here that created a lot of furor and controversy talking about some supposed changes in Immigration's method for verifying and qualifying income for retirement extension purposes. In the end, after probably a couple hundred posts including those from recent applicants, that original report was pretty clearly proven false...

Today, a few months later, I had a chance to verify that for myself in person in Bangkok, getting a new retirement extension as an American using the Consulate income letter method of verifying at least 65,000 baht of monthly income. The documents requested by Immigration were exactly what they have asked for in the past, no more and no less. And they didn't warn or advise of anything headed for changes in the future or when I return (hopefully) next year.

Here's what they DID want today for the retirement extension:

--My original passport.

--Completed and signed TM7 Application for Extension of Temporary Stay.

--a single 4x6 cm color photo pasted on the back side, with my mobile phone number written at top of back page.

--U.S. Consulate Income Affidavit certifying at least 65,000 baht in monthly income/pension/bank interest, etc.

--Signed photocopies of my 1) passport face page, 2) most recent visa/extension and entry stamps and 3) TM6 Departure Card

--1,900 baht fee.

--plus me signing the single sheet they typically provide (and did provide) about understanding and acknowledging Immigration's rules.

Here's the things they DID NOT want or ask about (even though I had them with me just in case):

--second color photo

--map/directions to my house

--any Thai bank book or bank statements

--copies of my home lease or utility bills

--any backup documentation for my Consulate Income affidavit.

--any photos of me with my "family" or at my house.

--any evidence of me bringing any funds into Thailand or spending any funds in Thailand.

No promises those same exact procedures can be expected at some of the "wild-hair" Immigration offices upcountry. But at least in Bangkok, it's pretty clear, pretty much nothing has changed as relates to Immigration's handling of retirement extensions. Cheers for that.

Ditto to above for me last year in early Sep at Bangkok Immigration.. Appears everything is still same-same,but I will find out personally in a few weeks as Sep 11 is almost here (no, I'm not waiting until the last minute...actually my extension of stay is good until early Oct but I like to do the extension renewal 3 to 4 weeks early).

I too did mine pretty much a full month ahead of my deadline date, as soon as Immigration would allow it...just in case anything new or unexpected was to arise in the application process...

Fortunately, nothing did.

BTW, in that regard just fyi, applying early doesn't charge or shorten the new expiration date they give you... Even though I re-applied today, the new permission to stay date I received for 2012 was exactly 12 months ahead from my prior 2011 date in latter September.

Edited by jfchandler

Yep it's none of their business how much you spend a month or how you get your money into Thailand.

More urban legends.

But for anyone who wants to supply lots of extra information like ATM slips & wire transfers; knock yourself out.

I think the prudent approach is to never OFFER or GIVE Immigration anything they don't ask for or routinely expect.... But to be prepared for things you think they might or could ask for, just in case.

Unfortunately, it was the prior false "news" report here on ThaiVisa some time back, later circulated in other media, that gave rise to a lot of the recent "urban myth" fretting about changes in rules and procedures. That's why I wanted to post here today re my experience in BKK, making it clear that at least in BKK, the rules have not changed.

However, based on TV member reports, some upcountry Immigration offices have been asking for some other things outside the routine of Bangkok. In some cases there have been multiple member posts from the same area/office about their different procedures, suggesting that they in fact have a somewhat different office practice there. In other cases, the member reports may be isolated and not replicated, making it hard to know whether that particular office was diverging or whether that particular individual had a bad experience or perhaps an officer who was having a bad day.

That's the way it should work in ALL the Immi offices but somehow it does not.

I'm a couple of months away from getting my extension and will be using the same method via the income letter from the US Embassy. The Immi office I must go to is just outside of BKK and they have been know to make it difficult or to even blatanly ask for money to make problems they created to go away. I'll post on my expericence when the time comes.

Question: How far in advance of my visit to immigration can or should I get my letter from the embassy? I will plan on going to the Immi office 30 days prior to expiration of my visa so as to allow time to fix any possible problems.

Thanks

I always get the same day or the day before but there does not seem to be any set requirement other than same year. But you may get one saying 30 days and another saying 3 months so best to obtain near the date if obtaining from Embassy - if from an outreach visit as made by US Embassy believe up to 3 months would be safe enough to try and perhaps just in same year.

As for the timing of the Consulate letters, Bangkok Immigration has never seemed to be particularly sensitive about that... I've usually had mine issued a week or so ahead of my visit to Immigration, and that's never been a problem. And as Lopburi said, even longer time frames ahead most of the time haven't created any problems.

However, the Thai bank letters and such verifying 800,000 baht in one's Thai bank account, one of the other means of satisfying the income requirement, are an entirely different matter. For the bank letter, depending on the Immigration office, they seem to want those no more than the day before.... It seems from reports here there've often been problems raised about the timing of the bank letters...

Whereas, we almost never hear about any Immigration office raising a fuss about the timing of a Consulate income letter, as best as I recall.