Cheapest Type Of Roof Design/Tile

I'm soon to build a new, small hotel/resort, and my budget is very tight, (due to having to share the revenue from the sale of my last hotel with the ex...)

I'm looking at ways to reduce my construction material costs, without impacting the structural integrity or acceptable appearance of the new buildings.

For the roofing material/type, if the roof is visible to the guersts, such as a standard pitched roof, then I have to use roof tiles that are more expensive than the lowest prices, since they must look 'attractive'. (This is what I did last time and the cost of the roof tiles was a major part of my construction budget).

On the other hand, if the roof cannot be seen from by the guests, then the cheapest roofing material that has the necessary structural integrity is acceptable.

The design life of the buildings is 15 years. Assuming that the building design will mean that the roof structure is completely hidden from view, what is the recommended roof style/material that will be achievable at the lowest cost? And what would the approximate cost psm be?

This will be a 2/3 star rating resort, so the use of marble facings etc is not required. A very attractive and strong guest room design is feasible with a limited budget.

Simon

Edited by simon43

steel sheets on steel structure is def cheapest and will probably last 15 years. Price depends on if its galvanised or painted/powdercoated, and if its insulated for temp/heat

asbest sheets on steel structure cost slightly more, less noisy when raining and longer lifetime

steel sheets on steel structure is def cheapest and will probably last 15 years. Price depends on if its galvanised or painted/powdercoated, and if its insulated for temp/heat

asbest sheets on steel structure cost slightly more, less noisy when raining and longer lifetime

Is this where it will rain?...

Your guests will not like the incredibly annoying sound that rain makes on a steel roof!...

The cheapest i can imagine while still having structural strength is using ferrocement.

It can be done with chicken fence or even long fibers or something like old fishnets and cement. Using stamping and staining of the final layer you can even get a roof tile look.

Build 2 or 3 floors with a roof to bring down construction cost of roof per sqm.

Actually, although a reasonable idea, it is not possible, because this is an 'airport' hotel, and there are some very strict height restrictions on buildings that lie close to the runway.

The asbesos cement roof sounds the way to go, and this should fit in ok with my draft plans. I'll do some more homework/layout plans/calculations and see if this is a goer.

Simon

to answer your question about doing it the cheepest way..... just use shipping containers and build a cheep facade to hide them.

facade

- 3 dictionary results

fa·cade

   [fuh-sahd, fa-] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show IPA –noun 1. Architecture . a. the front of a building, especially an imposing or decorative one. b. any side of a building facing a public way or space and finished accordingly. 2. a superficial appearance or illusion of something: They managed somehow to maintain a facade of wealth. .

Actually, using shipping containers was seriously considered by me for this project. (There are many buildings and even hotels built in this manner). The primary reason for rejecting this type of construction is because the access road to the land is too narrow to allow a vehicle/crane which would carry the container(s).

Simon

Edited by simon43

Actually, using shipping containers was seriously considered by me for this project. (There are many buildings and even hotels built in this manner). The primary reason for rejecting this type of construction is because the access road to the land is too narrow to allow a vehicle/crane which would carry the container(s).

Simon

4x4 steel posts on concrete floor, steel or wood roof structure, areated cement blocks, ready made windows/sliding doors from Homepro in white aluminum, you build very quickly and inexpensive

Don't skimp on the roof. Spend as much as is needed to make sure it works and lasts or you'll be back here asking for a name of a person to fix the roof.

If you can't afford to build something decent, build it smaller but don't skimp on the roof. You need to offer your customers some service and if they get dripped on while in a room they'll leave and repeat happy customers is what it's about.

When the wind and rains come you'll sit back with your customers and they'll be smiling but not know why you are smiling as you'll be thinking, glad I have a decent roof unlike that poor chap up the Soi who has buckets all over the place and no customers!!! :D

Read this and reread it, you know it makes sense.

Good luck.:rolleyes:

Simon

4x4 steel posts on concrete floor, steel or wood roof structure, areated cement blocks, ready made windows/sliding doors from Homepro in white aluminum, you build very quickly and inexpensive

does your arse squeek when you walk?

or are you just typical of another fly-by-night developer

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, seems you don't read much here. Simon is respected by many including me. Go back to the original post and try and be constructive. :)

Don't skimp on the roof. Spend as much as is needed to make sure it works and lasts or you'll be back here asking for a name of a person to fix the roof.

If you can't afford to build something decent, build it smaller but don't skimp on the roof. You need to offer your customers some service and if they get dripped on while in a room they'll leave and repeat happy customers is what it's about.

When the wind and rains come you'll sit back with your customers and they'll be smiling but not know why you are smiling as you'll be thinking, glad I have a decent roof unlike that poor chap up the Soi who has buckets all over the place and no customers!!! :D

Read this and reread it, you know it makes sense.

Good luck.:rolleyes:

Have you looked at some of the modular solutions available ?

Siam Steel Modular Business Hotel.

Simon

http://intelligenttravel.nationalgeographic.com/2009/10/05/ready_strange_planet_the_sewer/

Should be able to get these in easily.

Hope you make this one accessible too. Good to have people making a diference.

post-64834-0-59497200-1314108781_thumb.j

Edited by harrry

@Rocketmanbkk, I agree with your emphasis on having a sound roofing structure, and I mentioned this in my OP. Katabeachbum's suggestion is spot on. One can build a simple but sound structure very quickly and cheaply. It's then a matter of adding some finishing touches, flowers, water fountains etc, to realise an attractive and reliable guest room.

In fact, I now find that I have to build 2 small resorts! My ex, (whom I assisted to set up a guesthouse from the proceeds of the sale of her half-share of our hotel), has already 'outgrown' the guesthouse and a resort style of hotel will allow her further expansion. So I'll use the same guest room design for both hotels, (which should save some money on the overall costs of construction plans).

@harry - yes, I will definitely make my resort accessible (ie for wheelchair users), as per the last hotel. My ex's hotel might have some access issues, because the land I propose to build on is set up from the road bu a meter or so.

Anyway, it will be 'fun' to build again and to ensure that I improve upon the last build. The most important point is to ensure sufficient physical separation between my (and my Thai wife's new resort), and that of my ex-wife!! (500km would be about right, but it will be more like 1km ...)

Simon