How Safe Is Pattaya Alone Long Term

SuperSingha

Really some people must reply here before drinking their first cup of coffee! Ok, no need to take your girls back to where you live since there are plenty of cheap hotels which do short term rentals . Am sure that the girl would want to go there to fix her makeup, not for any immoral purpose. Just follow some simple rules such as never leave your drink unattended on the bar, do not carry more money with you that you can afford to lose and do not wander along Beach Road drunk late at night. If you must go to Beach Road have your eyes tested so you can tell the girls from the boys.

Perhaps you should cut down on the coffee!

You managed to post this three times! :lol:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really some people must reply here before drinking their first cup of coffee! Ok, no need to take your girls back to where you live since there are plenty of cheap hotels which do short term rentals . Am sure that the girl would want to go there to fix her makeup, not for any immoral purpose. Just follow some simple rules such as never leave your drink unattended on the bar, do not carry more money with you that you can afford to lose and do not wander along Beach Road drunk late at night. If you must go to Beach Road have your eyes tested so you can tell the girls from the boys.

Perhaps you should cut down on the coffee!

You managed to post this three times! :lol:

It was so slow to upload. I thought that it did'nt.

Soi 6 is almost all tranvestites.

I think you might have over-done the caution a bit here.

I've been drunk and alone at night in Thailand fairly frequently :rolleyes: and have yet to have any trouble at all.

All of the Russians I have met over the last year and a half have been, without exception, friendly and willing to chat / pass the time of day / go for a beer.

Avoid talking to all unknown Thai males if they speak to you in the street ? err some of us like to meet new people away from our home countries !

And the above quote is obviously <deleted> ! (excuse the pun).

Londo

Don't carry large sums of money around. Only take the money you need for the day with you. Keep your valuables locked up in the hotel safe. Don't bring expensive, expensive looking jewelry, or watches with you. If you have these items leave them at home. Be a little bit more aware of drunken Russians. Alcohol brings out the worst in them. Especially when they are in groups. You will see that the Russians are often drunk. Very large numbers of Russians in Pattaya these days. There are a lot of pick pokets around. Don't get too drunk. This is asking for trouble. Especially if you are alone. It is best to pick up friends in establsihed Bars and Clubs. Do not make friends of the street. Don't ever rent water recreation craft. If you do you will likely be riped off. You have been warned. Avoid dark unlit lonely streets late at night. I recommend that you stay at The Markland Hotel. This is a good place to stay for a newbie. It is safe and convenient to all the entertainment. DON'T DO DRUGS IN THAILAND and of course don't buy any. If some one bumps into you. Rapidly and protectively slap your hand over your wallet. Don't wear your phone on your belt. Never keep your wallet in your back poket. Be aware that their are many transvestites in Thailand. Many of them look like attractive women. Go on line to try and discover ways to help you identify tranvsetites. Soi 6 is almost all tranvestites. So it may be best to avoid Soi 6. If an unknown Thai male approaches you on the street. Keep walking. Don't talk to them. Some people will say thank very much and keep repeating that while walking away. But do keep walking away and say nothing else. Don't stop and engage them. Don't promise the women anything. If you do you will have a big hassle. Pay your bills. Pay what you agree to pay. Don't pay over the top for services provided. If you do you will likely be seen as a foolish sucker. You won't be respected for this behavior. Don't fall in love with any one. Remember their is a difference between love, lust, and simply trying to make a living. Enjoy but be alert and keep your eyes wide open and your brain working.

I think you needed to expand the “Go on line to try and discover ways to help you identify transvestites “ a bit. Go on line and get the names of the lady boy clubs and the lineups of the new lady boys. They have photos. Most of the clubs are not on Soi Six. Out of the 200 or so ladies working on Soi six maybe 25 or so are lady boys.

Pick out the clubs you like and go for a visit. Find out if they are really transvestites. You can do this in any number of ways depending on how many drinks you buy them. After feeling your way around a couple hundred lady boys you should have the hang of it.

If you are street smart, Pattaya is very safe. If you are not, you are not safe anywhere. :ermm:

:thumbsup: I agree, 100%.

Don't take strange girls to your home (where you keep your passport and valuables).

...or take girls you don't know. :whistling:

Don't carry large sums of money around. Only take the money you need for the day with you. Keep your valuables locked up in the hotel safe. Don't bring expensive, expensive looking jewelry, or watches with you. If you have these items leave them at home. Be a little bit more aware of drunken Russians. Alcohol brings out the worst in them. Especially when they are in groups. You will see that the Russians are often drunk. Very large numbers of Russians in Pattaya these days. There are a lot of pick pokets around. Don't get too drunk. This is asking for trouble. Especially if you are alone. It is best to pick up friends in establsihed Bars and Clubs. Do not make friends of the street. Don't ever rent water recreation craft. If you do you will likely be riped off. You have been warned. Avoid dark unlit lonely streets late at night. I recommend that you stay at The Markland Hotel. This is a good place to stay for a newbie. It is safe and convenient to all the entertainment. DON'T DO DRUGS IN THAILAND and of course don't buy any. If some one bumps into you. Rapidly and protectively slap your hand over your wallet. Don't wear your phone on your belt. Never keep your wallet in your back poket. Be aware that their are many transvestites in Thailand. Many of them look like attractive women. Go on line to try and discover ways to help you identify tranvsetites. Soi 6 is almost all tranvestites. So it may be best to avoid Soi 6. If an unknown Thai male approaches you on the street. Keep walking. Don't talk to them. Some people will say thank very much and keep repeating that while walking away. But do keep walking away and say nothing else. Don't stop and engage them. Don't promise the women anything. If you do you will have a big hassle. Pay your bills. Pay what you agree to pay. Don't pay over the top for services provided. If you do you will likely be seen as a foolish sucker. You won't be respected for this behavior. Don't fall in love with any one. Remember their is a difference between love, lust, and simply trying to make a living. Enjoy but be alert and keep your eyes wide open and your brain working.

:o :o

not much one can add to all that

im suprised you didnt tell him if he's in a traffic accident with a motorbike either speed off or back up and finish the job ;)B)

If you are street smart, Pattaya is very safe. If you are not, you are not safe anywhere. :ermm:

:thumbsup: I agree, 100%.

Don't take strange girls to your home (where you keep your passport and valuables).

...or take girls you don't know. :whistling:

Or take girls you don't know are girls. :whistling:

One key point I picked up on and was a concern for me was hotels vs apartment rent.

I think apartment could be cheaper but hotels are better for a few reasons.

1. Ability to pick up and go if something happens. I get a stalker, get bad situation, wanna move town..who knows lol..but no long term rented commitments.

2. Girls wont think/know I am here long term. If I have apartment they come to they most likely know I am not here just for few days....which could be a bad thing? depends. I mean I can lie to girls about my length off stay etc....

3. Having hotel workers, receptionist, security, main desk etc,,,it should feel a bit safer than some unknown apartment? But I think some apartments also have security etc?

Another point is I have head that even hotel workers..cleaners in rooms etc, will rob your valuables? Especially at hotels under 3 star and budget places?

I also heard that even if you put valubale such as cash, passport, credit cards etc...in hotel safe you can still be robbed by hotel? This seems a bit OTT. But thats what I heard.

I reckon if I put most valuable things in zip bags with key locks then maybe they woudlnt steal. However, they could still steal and destroy bag to open it. Maybe I am being OTT paranoid here.

As for girls coming round well I think maybe sleeping alone at night is best idea unless you really trust a girl. Or think you do ??? lol

Its not just a holiday to use girls though. Its a complete break from life for 3-4 months just chilling out. I do not plan to party 24/7 everyday. Moreso opposite. Which is why I wonder if Bangkok is a better choice. However I notice its much more expensive for hotels etc. So thats why Pattaya appeals to me. However iD ratehr be based in or near big city than on secluded island etc..Id feel safer in bigger cities. More anonymous. I have considered Chaing Mai also but that seems too quiet and more ideal for one off my trips.

Tingtonglongdong - Yes you are being very paraniod. You already have yourself taking precautions because the girls may stalk you?, theft, jumping of highrise buildings, etc., etc. I hardly think you will "chill out" and get a "complete break" as you stated when you've been worked up to this heightened level of fear? Why don't you just arrive, excercise caution and be nice to people and you will enjoy yourself.

Edited by gerry53

I have lived in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Pattaya. Bangkok you spend more time in traffic (smog) to get somewhere, the girls are snobby and/or more expensive because there are more Japanese and Farang businessmen who have no commonsense budget. (This changes after you have been there for a couple of years and speak Thai)

Chiang Mai is great if you are gay or into cultural things or saying you are into cultural things. Chiang Mai really has beautiful women but unless you have been there for a while they are not accessible.

Pattaya has better, cheaper Thai and Western food. Pattaya has better, cheaper hotels and apartments. Pattaya has better and cheaper and completely accessible women from the streetwalkers to the produce clerks and everyone in between. Pattaya has better and cheaper transportation and you can get everywhere in 10 minutes. Pattaya has better, cheaper medical and dental care. If you judge women by appearance and availability and cost Pattaya is 1000% ahead. You can get anything you want in Pattaya 24 hours a day. You can even fall in love, get married and have children and raise a family in Pattaya but that kind of defeats the purpose.

Dear Original Poster!

Pattaya is safe, more so than most Western cities.

Try to forget all the "Pattaya is Devils nest bullshit. It isn't. It is an international sea side resort. So move here! Or don't.. It is not a bad place to chill. Maybe we have more hookers than most other places in TH, it's only because we also have more tourists than most other places in TH.

Get ure ass here, get an apt, or hotel room. Walk around.. its good here!

Sure but then every other day you find one off these

http://www.nzherald....jectid=10747339

There will be more info on this story later but it is the only murder in this condominium project in Jomtien in 2 years I have been here. Who you associate with and bring to your room may affect your longevity. (lenght of your life)

This could happen anywhere in the world and I feel very safe in this area.

There will be more info on this story later but it is the only murder in this condominium project in Jomtien in 2 years I have been here. Who you associate with and bring to your room may affect your longevity. (lenght of your life)

I know what you mean. But where I stay I could safely say in the last 50+ years there has not been a murder.....As if to say only murder in 2 years is a good thing?

Sure, you play with fire, trust strangers you can pay the price. There is a lot more fire in Thailand than most places.

I guess many of the death/murder stories are due to following:

-Guys already suicidal spending last days in Thailand, possibly no money/future.

-Guys that get financially involved with Thai girl/people, then killed for money.

-Guys that are involved in drugs/drug dealing.

-Guys that are robbed and get in bother. (which is the only ''victim'' category and the one any normal person has to be aware off)

I know what you mean. But where I stay I could safely say in the last 50+ years there has not been a murder.....As if to say only murder in 2 years is a good thing?

Sure, you play with fire, trust strangers you can pay the price. There is a lot more fire in Thailand than most places.

-Guys already suicidal spending last days in Thailand, possibly no money/future.

-Guys that get financially involved with Thai girl/people, then killed for money.

-Guys that are robbed and get in bother. (which is the only ''victim'' category and the one any normal person has to be aware off)

I think many guys with moderate to severe health issues also come here for one last hurrah (good time). They have inexpensive female companionship, cheap booze and living expenses and when they've had enough or their health deteriorates they take matters into there own hands. Your other reasons are valid also.

New Zealand is not Thailand or SE Asia. If you had no muders in 50+ years thats great but major cities in many countries I have travelled don't have that stellar track record. This murder at this conominium was the only one I recall in the 2 years I have been here, it may have been the only one ever - I don't know and am not overly concerned by it. I know who enters my condo and that puts me at a much lower risk.

I think many guys with moderate to severe health issues also come here for one last hurrah (good time). They have inexpensive female companionship, cheap booze and living expenses and when they've had enough or their health deteriorates they take matters into there own hands. Your other reasons are valid also.

New Zealand is not Thailand or SE Asia. If you had no muders in 50+ years thats great but major cities in many countries I have travelled don't have that stellar track record. This murder at this conominium was the only one I recall in the 2 years I have been here, it may have been the only one ever - I don't know and am not overly concerned by it. I know who enters my condo and that puts me at a much lower risk.

right just fyi I meant in my immediate area/apartments no murders. even nearby my house there was a murder last week of a 17 year old kid. In fact there is a few murders every year or so in the sorrounding areas where I stay as they are quite rough areas with drugs/poverty even though I am in a major city. In fact chances off being jumped/beaten up on any night in these areas are high. Especially teen gangs etc..

However most murders are drunks/drugged guys fighting or family disputes within the people in the area. Areas one would tend to avoid and tourists would not go near.

Edited by tingtonglongdong

been there done that , boredom will get you first before any Thai mafia. :whistling:

well yeh i was gonna maybe just travel 3 months but maybe thats tiring/boring/stressful also?

Anyway Winters here are horrible so I just thought this would be a ''cool'' once in a lifetime type off thing to do...

Well more info about the Kiwi...and as I supspected and as the articel states...he was a liker of the male sex for company

http://www.pattayada...red-in-pattaya/

Also, he entered his flat with a Middle Eastern man...

Now there's 2 things that would concern me

-Homosexual encounters

-Middle eastern men

NO offense to both these ''category's''

But often dodgy events involve cases of homosexuals....And well middle Eastern people....NO offense Im sure many are fine but as a Westerner I would avoid most personally.

Cobranetics:

Noble Truth #1:

Nothing ever good happens after midnight, go home.

Noble Truth #2:

Alcohol, the universal catalyst for trouble,

Be aware of your drink intake, (others will),

Each drink impacts judgement and decision making.

Noble Truth #3:

Situational Awareness, always be aware what's happening around you, who's coming and going and why.

Noble Truth #4:

Body Language, never look vulnerable,

Carrying yourself with just enough swagger that says I'm not worried, you should be worried.

Noble Truth #5:

Blend, no Che Guevara tee-shirt, no carrying copy of Lonely Planet guide book, no back-pack,

Noble Truth #6:

No Patterns, mix up routines, travel a different route,

if for no other reason than boredom relief.

The biggest threat here as anywhere isn't that your likely to be murdered, more likely simple robbery or theft, opportunity driven. (see NT #2),

and that statistically is still way down the ladder.

Carry only what you can afford to lose.

Though TIT and fairly safe, always understand your a long way from home, with little local resources, no one will help, no one will care, this is the reality.

An attitude of a soldier of one will go a long way.

The companions you meet and the level of interaction will be wholly dependant on you.

There's pros and cons of limited encounters to substained relationships.

I suspect you'll fall somewhere in between.

Life's short, live it.

Your results may vary.

Edited by cobra

Well more info about the Kiwi...and as I supspected and as the articel states...he was a liker of the male sex for company

-Homosexual encounters

-Middle eastern men

But often dodgy events involve cases of homosexuals....And well middle Eastern people....NO offense Im sure many are fine but as a Westerner I would avoid most personally.

have

After expressing fear of coming to Pattaya because of girls (stalking you), theft, murder, druggings and suicide you have now have "concerns" about homosexual encounters and middle eastern men???? Please do us a favor and stay home - you may have a coronary event (heart attack) with all your worrying. Me thinks you shoulkd do your travelling online - it's much safer! Do you watch FOX News?

PS - you will need to watch out for the ladyboys, Russians, illegal immigrants, drunks, druggies, etc. and watch out for the 42 kg thai ladies - they are a real threat. :whistling:

-Homosexual encounters

-Middle eastern men

have

After expressing fear of coming to Pattaya because of girls (stalking you), theft, murder, druggings and suicide you have now have "concerns" about homosexual encounters and middle eastern men???? Please do us a favor and stay home - you may have a coronary event (heart attack) with all your worrying. Me thinks you shoulkd do your travelling online - it's much safer! Do you watch FOX News?

PS - you will need to watch out for the ladyboys, Russians, illegal immigrants, drunks, druggies, etc. and watch out for the 42 kg thai ladies - they are a real threat. :whistling:

I only quoting what I read and sadly/funnily it is reality, Crazy Russians, suicide balcony falls, thai wife chopping off penis, drug busts, ladyboy muggings and now maniacal killing homosexual Middle Eastern men. LOl...you really couldnt make this stuff up if you tried.....like some James Bond movie gone completely wrong.

Tingtonglongdong why don't you just come over and enjoy the area if you are serious? The press in general are always sensationalizing everything here because it sells newpapers and TV ad space. Most western countries don't report suicides as openly as they do here out of respect for the family, here it becomes a news and TV spectacle and is posted on the nightly TV newscasts with offending shots of the victim obscured. Often with passport photo and name visible.

If you are respectful and don't indulge in high risk activities you should be fine here. It will always be a bit higher risk here (even compared to the rest of Thailand) because of the type of people it attracts - both farang and Thai. Many of us come here because and often in spite of that and live happily.

Life is risky as is travel but I would hate to go thru life and be afraid to take acceptable risks. There is an old work safety slogan (joke) stating " nobody moves and then nobody gets hurt" - terrible for both productivity and living a fufilling life.:whistling:

I agree with you totally Gerry53. All you say is very well true. I guess I am just looking for some general pre-travel safety/advice tips from those who have been before and know the place well. Im not really too worried about anything except potential theft, which I have plans for. Such as hotel safes?, Zip locks, carrying minimal cash, not allowing girls to sleep with me overnight.

Which is an interesting thing? Allow to sleep with you means you can spend more time with girl and in morning? But m not sure Id want a girl sleeping in my room?

Also other things such as:

hotel vs apartment etc...things like that as I mention in my OP.