Disturbing Trend Of Sensible University Uniforms

Gaccha

Disturbing trend of sensible university uniforms

It was-- I suppose-- only a matter of time until the female youth were corrupted by Canadian police advice.

The Thai female university students has taken the plunge and can be seen wearing ankle-length skirts in numbers never seen before. Possibly upwards of 10% are seen to be wearing these skirts. Have they learnt nothing...?

For months now a movement around the globe has explained that what women wear does not mean it is a 'come on' to men. They started this campaign after a Canadian cop told women that if they dressed like 'sluts' then they were at risk of rape. It seemed common knowledge in Thailand that he was wrong. And there did not seem to be much need for Thai students to start a mass campaign of slutty clothes wearing.

And yet, here we are now facing one of the greatest crisis in a generation among Thai youth as they seek to re-impose sanctimonious and dangerous conservative reactionism on their fashion tastes. One can only imagine where it will lead... certainly a decline in male tourists. But possibly worst: an attack on the very notion that what you wear is not a signal to others.

I can only hope the feminist campaign group in Canada is on high-alert for this provocative counter-strike. There are many questions left unaswered: is the Canadian police bribing Thai university students? Is there anyway male farang can get involved to reverse this trend? Can the old, craggy (and frankly rather fat) farang men in the villages of Thailand look out for this trend reaching them?

post-60541-0-17263900-1313909014_thumb.j

Fig. 1: A photo of a dangerous fashion trend, the ankle-length skirt.

Sorry guys, but this is a new trend among Thai university students -- to wear the pleated skirts, as purchased, without shortening. My Thai language teacher, the great oracle of all things trendy with Thais in their 20s tells me this is some sort of "rebellion". I can only guess they are rebelling against the lears of aging expats.

Sorry guys, but this is a new trend among Thai university students -- to wear the pleated skirts, as purchased, without shortening. My Thai language teacher, the great oracle of all things trendy with Thais in their 20s tells me this is some sort of "rebellion". I can only guess they are rebelling against the lears of aging expats.

Noooooooooooooooo....say it aint so. Those unforms are one of the reasons i stay in Thailand.

Why target 'aging expats'? What about the leers of aging Thais?

Don't tell me. You're a white woman in Bangkok?

Edited by RusticCharm

Relax guys, I think the slit in the side goes up to the thigh!

You are exactly right. I saw similar dresses in Pitsanulok on the young women going to university years ago. They just wear them tighter and the side slit shows oh so much pretty leg.

Yes, rebelling trends.

Surprised they haven't mimicked the Korean schoolgirl fashion.