15 Baht For A Cold Towel...

thaigerd

Last Saturday went with my wife for dinner in Rawai/Chalong area.

A very well known Thai restaurant with sea view. Our food was ok...

Bill was close to 2000Baht, no wine, only 2 small Heineken for me.

Big surprise when I've asked for the bill:

15Baht for a cold towel 15x15cm cotton, yes, I did ask for a paa yenn.

For me a bit over the top to charge a customer 15Baht for a cold towel.

What do you think....

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

leave a one baht tip

Leave no tip, or maybe they already added service on the bill .... :bah: I'm sure you won't be back.

For sure not going back :realangry:

Those towels cost 10 baht at a small shop if they are the plastic bag containing a cold wet cloth.

Dunno- was the towel the packaged kind like they sell in seven eleven? If so, you gotta figure that they cost the restaurant something.

Having said that, the five baht they earned on top of a two thousand baht tab could have gone a long way to providing outstanding service and an extremely pleased customer / generous tip. I know lots of beer bars that subscribe to this - give the customer one of these cool towels (after they have ordered a drink of course) to make them happy and want to stay / buy more drinks. Smart business IMO. The cute BG who does the honors usually ends up getting a drink!

I've seen like this before in other Thai restaurants, where the towels are on the table when you sit down- not chilled. Ms Bino is wise to this scam, and always insists that the server takes them away unopened and checks the bill afterward.

It could be worse. I know a place which I otherwise like which tends to pop open the bags loudly before they place them on the table as a matter of policy, without being asked. Charged, of course. Of course, I make them take them away and tell them I didn't order them. That's always fun.

Any business savvy restaurant should know enough to work their overhead costs into the menu prices. To list things like that on the bill as an extra cost is a cold (towel) slap in the face to the customer.

If it wasn't listed on the bill as an extra cost, the customer would be none the wiser, and go home satisfied. It's little things like that which make the difference between a one-timer and a return customer.

But alas, TIT.

pa yen at 11/7 12 baht for small ones...

24 baht for bigger ones that are very nice and re useable after cleaning of course.. :lol:

if i were you i would go back to said resturaunt just get beer and springroll or

something cheap then break out your own pa yen use it and leave it on the table for them to clean up

then pay bill no tip never to return.... :angry:

leave a one baht tip

...not a single Baht :realangry:

In most places tips are divided among staff.

But staff does not make the rules. They follow orders.

Why punish the staff, for stupid rules of the management?

Kind of kicking the dog........

Even McCafe in Phuket is 25% more expensive than here in Pattaya. First time I always thought that McDonald's prices were standard in the same country.

Depends on which McDonalds. Patong is more expensive than Phuket Town, I presume because of lease prices for the location.

Not as bad as a resort that does not mention service charge and tax on there menu ad then charges you both

Or another resort which advertises a net price for a buffet meal which i though meant

including charges and then charges you service charges and tax on the meal as well as the drinks

Mother in law was visiting recently, she scooped up all the towels and put them in her handbag, my good lady made her put them back and told the waiter to take them away, and yes she checked the bill.

I agree that a well run establishment should cost all these items into the menu price and we would be none the wiser, leave happy and probably return. Don't even get me started on these "service" charges.

Complaining about a 15bht towel after a 2000 bht food bill OP must be hard up!! if it is a problem do not tip or go back it's that simple!!

2000 bht you can get a fantastic meal for under 200bht with a big beer!!

Edited by kenny999

Complaining about a 15bht towel after a 2000 bht food bill OP must be hard up!! if it is a problem do not tip or go back it's that simple!!

But surely that's not the point is it?

The OP clearly isn't hard up, otherwise he probably wouldn't be spending 2,000 baht on a meal when he could get a half decent meal elsewhere for far less. The point of his post, as I read it. is why to restaurant owners feel the need to extract every last Baht, why don't they price everything into the unit cost of meals?

Was this restaurant in Chalong on the beach, or Rawai on the beach? I'd like to know the name of the place ( this isn't naming and shaming, just stating of facts) so I don't go there. A good Thai meal on the water with some large tiger prawns and a cold big beer shouldn't be more than 1500. If it's just some normal Thai dishes, it shouldn't be over 800 for two people.

The OP clearly isn't hard up, otherwise he probably wouldn't be spending 2,000 baht on a meal when he could get a half decent meal elsewhere for far less. The point of his post, as I read it. is why to restaurant owners feel the need to extract every last Baht, why don't they price everything into the unit cost of meals?

No idea other than this is Thailand, complaining about 15bht is just silly, I once got charged 10bht for air, did I complain well no, in fact I laughed at the old man because he thought he was hurting me by charging me 10bht, unfortunately this country is very poor and the people feel they must get every bht when ever they can, it's only a few bht here and there and not a problem!!

Was this restaurant in Chalong on the beach, or Rawai on the beach? I'd like to know the name of the place ( this isn't naming and shaming, just stating of facts) so I don't go there. A good Thai meal on the water with some large tiger prawns and a cold big beer shouldn't be more than 1500. If it's just some normal Thai dishes, it shouldn't be over 800 for two people.

Giving the name or exact location is 'name & shame' and will be removed under Thaivisa rules.

Thank you!

Giving the name or exact location is 'name & shame' and will be removed under Thaivisa rules.

That's why I have not done this!!