Loss Via Mail

andvari26

I have purchased a no of items and had them mailed to me from both USA & Australia, all items have disappeared - never to be seen or heard from. One was from my Brother - I know that was sent, the others were from eBay - has anybody else had this run of no shows, is there any reason to suspect a theme here in the Post Office ? I have visited the P.O. - Yes I know & expected what exactly ? Total is 5 items lost, all worth enough to miss ! added up = Not Happy at all, so any likewise experiences and results if achieved ?

We have not received so many items via regular post that we tell people "do not send any package except via registered post where a signature is required". The neighbors found several empty open packages one time (different addresses/origins), took them to the post office and got no satisfaction.

I have told some people to send scorpions in a package and include a couple of marbles, thus the little buggers should be mad as hell when the box is opened to determine what the rattle is. So far no one has taken me up on it, that I know of.

Never has such an experience.

Where were they supposed to be delivered? PO Box, house, condo or apartment? It makes a big difference in considering what may have happened.

How long ago were they mailed? Surface mail can be very slow, months. Do you know if they were sent surface or air?

Yes i have sent about 20 items to the uk a month ago one got there the others i sent on the same day and i sent them registered delivery everyone in the uk is moaning asking where there items are .

I sent them all by air and they told me 2 weeks i sent them from the university post office in the cmu.

Edited by rakchaingmai

Have not lost anything yet,thankfully, but it really does take an awful long time to get from Thailand to other countries and vice versa.

16 days, HK to Thailand recently. Sent registered envelope to UK 12 days ago still not there.

The general postal service is now down to 1, sometimes 2 bulk deliveries a week instead of daily in past years -trouble at mill?

Outgoing mail, so far ,I have had no problem with. Incoming is a very different story. Quite a lot has gone missing. Others can take up to 12 to 15 days from our P.O. A distance of 15 kms. Now, I have a Post Office Box.For more than a year . No more problems. Highly recommended

Always ordered online. Most of the time registered unless the value is less than $50. No problem so far.

The only problem for me right now is that they charge me almost 100% of the time import tax. Which is something ridiculous like 30% plus 7% VAT plus 2% admin fee so that it's almost not worth the purchase sometimes.

I tried to sneak an item in once telling the retailer in Italy to declare it as a gift and that the value to be something low. Do you know what happened? The post office called me and said that the address is commercial (they googled it.. wow) so they opened the package and .. it's not a gift. :(((

Edited by infernalman7

I just got a package from US after 4 weeks of waiting. The postage was normal so couldnt track it somehow though it turned up the same day as a parcel from the UK that took 5 days.

Im sure it has alot to do with where you live e.g government building, expensive condo etc

Edited by james24

I just got a package from US after 4 weeks of waiting. The postage was normal so couldnt track it somehow though it turned up the same day as a parcel from the UK that took 5 days.

Im sure it has alot to do with where you live e.g government building, expensive condo etc

Who lives in a government building? Squatters?

I disagree with that. The time the post takes to reach you has nothing to do with where you live.

I think the implication is less to do with the time, and more to do with 'is it worth stealing'..

Something nondescript in a Thai name is far less likely to go missing than say a colored birthday card with a farang name (cash inside)..

Always ordered online. Most of the time registered unless the value is less than $50. No problem so far.

The only problem for me right now is that they charge me almost 100% of the time import tax. Which is something ridiculous like 30% plus 7% VAT plus 2% admin fee so that it's almost not worth the purchase sometimes.

I tried to sneak an item in once telling the retailer in Italy to declare it as a gift and that the value to be something low. Do you know what happened? The post office called me and said that the address is commercial (they googled it.. wow) so they opened the package and .. it's not a gift. :(((

Best I have found with 100's of packages is to have a value, but a low one.. Theres a cut off point where they dont bother to collect taxes so putting 20 USD comes through the 'dont bother' channel.. Put a gift, or zero value and yes they open it and estimate.

Best I have found with 100's of packages is to have a value, but a low one.. Theres a cut off point where they dont bother to collect taxes so putting 20 USD comes through the 'dont bother' channel.. Put a gift, or zero value and yes they open it and estimate.

Thanks! I'll try that the next time.

Thanks! I'll try that the next time.

Also, if you are commercial, get a personal PO box and get overseas purchases sent there instead.

Personally I have never had anything go missing and never waited too long either. Always use registered mail (or on the odd occasion for urgent stuff - DHL/UPS/etc). I always send a Thai script address to the sender and ask for that to be used (Thai script) - my family also have the address in Thai script that they can print and attach - seems to make a difference.

On registered mail - once got a box with some odds and ends in it from the family - just a few underclothes and some flea shapoo/collars for the cat - got charged 150b tax - next time had stuff sent with greater value and got charged only 7b. The first box had gift/zero value and the second had a value like thirty quid - so must agree with LivinLos about stating a lowish value rather than none.

In 10 tears I have received dozens may be a hundred parcels from UK, Australia and the States with no problem.

I used to have a monthly subscription to a UK Classic Bike mag.

Twice in say 5 years I never had a copy delivered.

From the following months edition I saw that the Front Cover in both cases featured a Vincent 1000 cc Vee Twin.

Some years later a friend loaned me a bundle of mags including one of the 'Vincent' editions.

He had bought they mags in a second hand book shop down town.

john

I gave up ordering items from e-bay except for items that can be posted to me on a registered basis... anything that doesn't need signing for on delivery tends to go walkabout. Things were fine for most of 2009, then some packages started to go missing... then no packages at all arrived. I think we got a new postman around that time.

• 3 months later...

So anybody else with similar experiences, I sent an e mail to Thai Postal Service ! Ha Ha Ha - no reply, and I have since purchased 2 items, 1 each from USA & UK and surprise SUWPWISE said Elmer Fudd, no bloody mail yet again, there must be a great rort being perpetrated here, I cannot be the only one losing all mail, the value to date is very noticeable, in fact now I get items stored in Aust until a friend is coming to visit, one of them bought a package to Bangkok and his Hotel refused to forward it via Thai post due to concerns re safety & delivery, courier only or do it yourself they said ! We dont want the hassle when it evaporates !

• 3 weeks later...

This is our story too. We have lived here in Mae hia area for 2 years and we have someone send us our mail from our home country and the first year we got everything then the 2nd year we have only received about 2 shipments out of about 9 total.

And the customs tracking shows the packages left our home country. So some where someone got our mail which is only letters and documents.

Having opened this discussion yesterday I found that this problem is getting worse, my Australian landlord had mail sent from his parents with copies of his wedding pics - no show, his son had a card sent for his Birthday - no show, I sent 2 pieces of mail, 1 a USB with business Info to Jakarta and one a postcard in an envelope to my mother - both have evaporated. I then tried to change my buying habits, so I went shopping at e Bay UK & had stuff sent by Royal Mail - Signed for on delivery - You guessed it - Gorn to the great free stuff pile in Thailand ! ! ! ! Any suggestions as to a way to have this issue given space or is it all to no Avail & just an accepted tax to live here as my Police friend said ? Not acceptable to me - comments or better still pro active IDEAS appreciated, more public forums to raise noisy protest etc ?

I had money stolen at C.M. post office before it was to be sent international.The money was taken out then the bank visa card was posted on in an envelope.My friend's items were all stolen on arrival in Thailand and replaced by cheaper items !

Serious lack of integrity in the mail system in Thailand.

The Thai Post is is in name only, run ............

Last parcel containing two bike sprockets took 6 weeks to come from Singapore and had been opened about 3 or 4 times.

Interestlingly my wifes mum lives in Japan and there never seems a problem when items are addressed in thai script with the city and postcode written in english.

Seems anything with a farang name is seen as a gift to them!

Edited by onthedarkside
libel comment removed

Not trying to make light of your friend's situation or your own, but it's really hard to believe they would take and replace product.... sounds like a troll, or your friend looking for some sympathy/cash. Why wouldn't they just keep it all? He's going to complain to the Post either way. As far as sending cash in the mail, you should have known better, that could/would have happened anywhere.

I've never had an issue with the post. I get everything sent to me whether its written in Thai or English, from the US, Korea, HK, and Singapore. As an aside, I actually get very fast delivery coming in and going out using the Thai Post.

I had money stolen at C.M. post office before it was to be sent international.The money was taken out then the bank visa card was posted on in an envelope.My friend's items were all stolen on arrival in Thailand and replaced by cheaper items !

Not trying to make light of your friend's situation or your own, but it's really hard to believe they would take and replace product.... sounds like a troll, or your friend looking for some sympathy/cash. Why wouldn't they just keep it all? He's going to complain to the Post either way. As far as sending cash in the mail, you should have known better, that could/would have happened anywhere.

I've never had an issue with the post. I get everything sent to me whether its written in Thai or English, from the US, Korea, HK, and Singapore. As an aside, I actually get very fast delivery coming in and going out using the Thai Post.

Oh, it did happen.He thought it was bizarre that they bothered to find cheaper items and switch them...weird kind of guilt or something.