What Kind Of School For A 17 Year Old

MikeRay

My stepson finished school here in Germany and will go back to Thailand now. He is interested to work in tourism and/or hotel, what kind of school can he visit in Bangkok to get further education that prepares him to work in this field ? He speaks really good German, his English is ok and he can read and write both languages. His thai writing skills are a little rusted, but he still can read. Preferably in the Sathorn area?

thx

I would think that you should be looking at Universities at this stage rather than schools.

If the lad is interested at working in tourism or within the tourist industry in Thailand, he will require a BA and perhaps later a Masters.

Without some sort of University degree he hasn`t much chance of gaining a career or finding a decent paid job in Thailand.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Bangkok University offers a degree in hotel management. Sure pretty much every university does the same. Don't know how much that would be worth on the international stage but it would likely set him up with contacts in Thailand.

Vatel in association with Silpakorn University seems to offer the best programs.

All the courses/lectures are done in English.

If your stepson would prefer to study in Thai, there are numerous Rajabhut Universities which offer tourism / hospitality programs. There is one near the grand palace which also runs a full hotel, on campus, for the students to see / fell / work in a real hotel situation and it has a very good reputation.

If he would prefer a program taught in English I would second looking at anything associated with Silpakorn university, which is highly respected in this field.

His rusty Thai will come back soon enough. If he really wants to stay and live in Thailand a Thai speaking school should be fine. As said, without a university degree it is much more difficult to find a job for him, while his chances will be good with a degree and good comprehension of English and German.

To the OP: your stepson has first to realise that landing a job in the hospitality industry -especially at an executive level- is not a panacea.

Plenty of hours, working when your friends are partying, overtime never being paid, bad consideration by working in a service industry,+++

Nearly three decades ago, I 've been graduated from Lausanne Hotel School.

Then during my first semester, they make you doing all the dirty jobs (ie: cleaning dishes, mopping floor, housekeeping, ...) basic things that a future manager should know how to do, before being able to command these tasks to his staff.

50% of the students were giving up after this... and there were five more semesters to accomplish!

Vatel is following the same kind of cursus, which I consider it very serious... and as well, offers a lot of "bridges" for student exchange, traineeship and further education.

You were lucky! I applied to the Lausanne school and they had a two year waiting list!!

I did -in 1980!- apply too, when I was 15 years old...

Three years waiting list... That gave me the time to finish my art culinary school in Belgium and obtaining my "maturite" diploma .

Back to these years, they gave priority to kids from Swiss hoteliers, then to Swiss nationals, then to relatives from someone in the hospitality industry... and at the end to someone -like me- interested in these studies, with a serious nasty interview.

Nowadays, as the school obtained an university recognition, it's based on an entry exam and three months mandatory traineeship if the student has no experience in the field.

post-61130-0-04896300-1314268996_thumb.g

Edited by lazygourmet

Sorry for misunderstanding me at first, my stepson finished the 9th. grade at an elementary school. So i guess he will have to visit another school to qualify for a university ( I doubt he will visit a Uni). Is there something like a business college he can go to?´I doubt also that he will be top performer, neither he´ll be in a management position. More like a waiter or bartender I guess, still all my best wishes for the lad´s future.

Sorry for misunderstanding me at first, my stepson finished the 9th. grade at an elementary school. So i guess he will have to visit another school to qualify for a university ( I doubt he will visit a Uni). Is there something like a business college he can go to?´I doubt also that he will be top performer, neither he´ll be in a management position. More like a waiter or bartender I guess, still all my best wishes for the lad´s future.

Then a Vocational College will be his best bet.

Give me a few days to ask my acquaintances in the hospitality industry regarding which one has the best reputation and/or from where they are recruiting.

I'll PM you the answers.