What The hel_l Is A Farang?

ironwolf

Farang = a Foreigner of European Descent.

Yes. Basically white skinned foreigners

The color of the skin is the determining factor.I am a thai citizen but look completetly farang due to my father being a kiwi and my mom only half thai....but, although I am a thai national, I get called farang in Thailand.

muldoon, I see what you are getting at but the hi-so Chinese and some of the Northern Thai in fact have a whiter skin colour than some Caucasians - but they are still not referred to as farang.

I would say it is the facial features (eyes and nose) in combination with the skin colour... also, as secondary determiners, walking style, dress, gestures, speech and manners. Do you agree?

yes i agree 100%. i have very western features and behaviour.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This link confirms that the guava is originally native to South America and was brought to Asia by European traders and adventurers: http://www.rain-tree.com/guava.htm

As for the name of the fruit coinciding with 'farang' used for Caucasian, I guess Neeraram could be right, but there are no confirmed sources - it sounds logical at least.

Also note 'mun farang' - 'potato', whereas just 'mun' means 'sweet potato' (among other things).

What about asparagus?

Isn't that something like "mai nor farang"?

That's what we're here for :D Now what else do you need to know?

Welcome to thaivisa :o

cv

Thank you! I have two more questions. Is the AIDS/HIV as bad as I hear, like 50% of the women have AIDS/HIV (or maybe its 50% of the women hookers?) and my second question, what's the best way to greet someone. Shaking hands or bow or what?

It's ALWAYS a good idea to use protection whether you're in Thailand or anywhere else.

was that the answer to the first question or second?

LOL! Well, yes, it was in response to the first question which dealt with the question of HIV/AIDS. Although HIV/AIDS can also be spread by sharing dirty needles, the protection I was referring to the use of the "one-fingered glove" (ie condoms) for those casual sexual encounters with people you don't really know. All it takes is one mistake with the wrong person that could spell "Game Over".

This link confirms that the guava is originally native to South America and was brought to Asia by European traders and adventurers: http://www.rain-tree.com/guava.htm

As for the name of the fruit coinciding with 'farang' used for Caucasian, I guess Neeraram could be right, but there are no confirmed sources - it sounds logical at least.

Also note 'mun farang' - 'potato', whereas just 'mun' means 'sweet potato' (among other things).

What about asparagus?

Isn't that something like "mai nor farang"?

Yeah, i think it's actually "naaw maai farang" and means something like foreign (not Thai) shoot......Meadish??