Where Is The Best Place To Live ?

lemerou

I actually like the 4 distinctive seasons of Korea. Cherry blossoms in April and autumn foliage in October are utterly beautiful.

Sure, it's expensive but you can get virtually everywhere by subway, bus and bullet train. Korea also has one of the fastest wireless internets in the world.

In my opinion Thai girls are MUCH better looking and sexier.

:blink: :blink: :blink: You have to be kidding !

smile.gif My ex Thai girl friend will do anything to look like that she's a Korean girl.

Edited by HaruHaru

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like the 4 distinctive seasons of Korea. Cherry blossoms in April and autumn foliage in October are utterly beautiful.

Sure, it's expensive but you can get virtually everywhere by subway, bus and bullet train. Korea also has one of the fastest wireless internets in the world.

In my opinion Thai girls are MUCH better looking and sexier.

:blink: :blink: :blink: You have to be kidding !

smile.gif My ex Thai girl friend will do anything to look like that she's a Korean girl.

You can travel everywhere in Thailand too. I would say it's easier here as there are no motorcycle taxis in Korea and some places buses rarely go. The seasons are nice but Spring only last a few weeks and then you get the humid heat of summer. Fall is the best time to visit. Sure Korea and Japan have the best internet but these days, Thailand can give you all the speed you need at reasonable prices.

Your ex has 10 layers of makeup? smile.gif

Interesting to see those different opinions :)

I actually really like the idea of having different seasons.

As for women looks, from what i've seen, korean women seems way sexier the thais but that's just my own taste !

I'm more concerned about the boredom i might feel and the xenophobia...

As for women looks, from what i've seen, korean women seems way sexier the thais but that's just my own taste !

Sexier and better dressed.

You won't be bored there any more than living in Bangkok and there is no apparent xenophobia, they just don't like the US soldiers that occupy the city so if you don't have a crew cut you won't be mistaken for a soldier.

You won't be bored there any more than living in Bangkok and there is no apparent xenophobia, they just don't like the US soldiers that occupy the city so if you don't have a crew cut you won't be mistaken for a soldier.

Key word is "apparent" As for boredom, it depends on what the gentleman likes to do. Go to DJ bars in Hong Dae?(good if you are in your early20s maybe) See cultural events? Get's tired real fast. Ladies? No xenophobia eh? Try going to a bar area outside of Itaewon(the US army frequents this area).

Many of the girls won't even look at you even if you look like Tm Cruise. There are many who have been taught that foreigners bring in disease.

And many Korean women go to Itaewon just to meet US soldiers. Others may talk to you as an "English talking machine" to practice their conversation skills.

Bangkok is more in interesting on almost every level.

Key word is "apparent" As for boredom, it depends on what the gentleman likes to do. Go to DJ bars in Hong Dae?(good if you are in your early20s maybe) See cultural events? Get's tired real fast. Ladies? No xenophobia eh? Try going to a bar area outside of Itaewon(the US army frequents this area).

Many of the girls won't even look at you even if you look like Tm Cruise. There are many who have been taught that foreigners bring in disease.

And many Korean women go to Itaewon just to meet US soldiers. Others may talk to you as an "English talking machine" to practice their conversation skills.

I'm sure in your own coutry the girls will ignore creeps that try to pick them up, never mind that the creep tries to do it in a foreign language they don't understand and has no knowledge of their own language.

Bangkok is certainly more interesting though and is a place where you are absolutely certain that xenophobia exists and that the Thai girls have been taught that foreigners only want to get drunk and screw around and should be avoided.

The difference in Bangkok is that if you can't find a local girl friend you can always go to the bars whereas that option is limited in Seoul and you actually have to make an effort, much like back in the real world.

Edited by PattayaParent

I'm sure in your own coutry the girls will ignore creeps that try to pick them up, never mind that the creep tries to do it in a foreign language they don't understand and has no knowledge of their own language.

Bangkok is certainly more interesting though and is a place where you are absolutely certain that xenophobia exists and that the Thai girls have been taught that foreigners only want to get drunk and screw around and should be avoided.

The difference in Bangkok is that if you can't find a local girl friend you can always go to the bars whereas that option is limited in Seoul and you actually have to make an effort, much like back in the real world.

Well said.

Well I speak Korean well and actually studied the language. I really am not sure how much language enters into the equation. I had a Korean girlfriend but a friend who passed the highest level of Korean proficiency test was simply ignored at a "get to know you" party. He was really "handsome man" too. On the other hand some very average people who can't speak a word of Korean even after ten years there wind up married to stunners.

It's still the luck of the draw and most Koreans can speak at least a few words and basic phrases of English.

As for Thai xenophobia, sure it exists. As does Chinese Xenophobia and wasp America xenophobia. It is a fact of human nature but in Thailand it rarely interferes with business(or pleasure). Not the same in Korea - you can find many anecdotes on the web of Western men being bothered when out with their Korean partners while the partners are called "hos".

you can find many anecdotes on the web of Western men being bothered when out with their Korean partners while the partners are called "hos".

The same is true in all the Asian counties.

And not restricted to being in the wifes country, if you take your Thai wife back to your corner of Farangland your own countrymen are more than likely to think you met her when she was working in a bar.

And not restricted to being in the wifes country, if you take your Thai wife back to your corner of Farangland your own countrymen are more than likely to think you met her when she was working in a bar.

Yes but BugJackBaron is also refering to physical and verbal 'assaults' in Korea because you have a local gf.

In my experience this is not the case in other SEAsian countries.

For instance, i experienced my share of bad looks and bad "talking in the back" (actually, she was the one getting it. Everyone was always very friendly with me) with my ex gf in indonesia but never ever felt a physical or even indirect threat.

This is very specific to Korea according to from what i've read (never been there yet myself).

Thats it then, we can rub that off our places to go :P

in one foul swipe you have all but destroyed Seouls tourism market from Bangkok expats :lol:

Yes but BugJackBaron is also refering to physical and verbal 'assaults' in Korea because you have a local gf.

In my experience this is not the case in other SEAsian countries.

For instance, i experienced my share of bad looks and bad "talking in the back" (actually, she was the one getting it. Everyone was always very friendly with me) with my ex gf in indonesia but never ever felt a physical or even indirect threat.

This is very specific to Korea according to from what i've read (never been there yet myself).

Yet I've never experienced that in Seoul, but have in Manila and Ha Noi.

In my country (Eastern Europe) a foreigner in a club is much more interesting for a local girl (not just because of the money, it's true for richer girls too), all my female friends love to hang out with foreigners. I've seen and heard similar things about other (western) countries too, so I'm not sure about your assessment.

I agree that xenophobia is apparent in Bangkok, we've been to thai bars (the kind where there are very few farangs) and nobody even looked at us, in fact they tried really hard not to notice us, it was funny in a way. Same is true for the streets, parks, but that's understandable in a big city. However it was very different in smaller cities, ppl were more open and interested, dunno about Korea, but maybe I'd have the same experience there. "Making an effort" - Why would u, if they don't seem to be interested? Better to move on and let them have fun in their small cultural box.

Edited by goldenmonkey

To be honest, i have also read numerous reports of foreigners living in Seoul who never had a problem, just like you.

I also heard Manilla could be dangerous.

But I'm interested about what happened to you in Hanoi ?

I've been there several times (i have a friend who lives there) and never have been bothered (although Vietnamese can sometimes be a bit 'hard' ;) ).

Opt out Indonesia & Malaysia, trust me!! Unless you always have 5 to 6 bodyguards with you.

Really :blink: Have you ever actually been to either of these countries once, twice, toured around ?

I have felt as safe in Java, Bali, Sumatra etc as anywhere in the world - with and without a local girl.

Still, idiots like you do tend to keep the hordes away :)

Londo

FYI, I lived in Jarkata for 2 yrs, and in K.L for nearly 3 years.And your comment really annoyed me, do not call name, simple manners, your Mommy did not teach you? Stinky mouth!I comment what I know and forums are to share and learn. If you do not liked my comment, just SHUT the F@#K up!!!

Really Have you ever actually been to either of these countries once, twice, toured around ?

I have felt as safe in Java, Bali, Sumatra etc as anywhere in the world - with and without a local girl.

Still, idiots like you do tend to keep the hordes away

Londo

To be honest, i have also read numerous reports of foreigners living in Seoul who never had a problem, just like you.

I also heard Manilla could be dangerous.

But I'm interested about what happened to you in Hanoi ?

I've been there several times (i have a friend who lives there) and never have been bothered (although Vietnamese can sometimes be a bit 'hard' ;) ).

Just one time walking around Hoan Kiem Lake some old boy said something nasty to my wife.

Only happened once in 10 years though and on the whole the locals are very nice and friendly.

Hanoi is very Rowdy. I mean if you want to lived in a place where they start to Honk early in the morning and follow the whole day, you can give it a try.

Whereas, the con artist there is plentiful. But it's a nice place for a few days break, not to stay long term. Food is nice and people are great. Only those taxi drivers and cyclos are a pain in our arse.

@veryruay : i agree on your comment about Hanoi. Although the noise problem is general everywhere in Vietnam i think.

However i tend to disagree on what you said about Indonesia (only been to KL so could not judge about Malaysia).

I have spend some time in Java and Bali, using public transportations and mingling with indos.

Never felt threatened (only once by a lunatic in Solo but he was obviously not dangerous).

So maybe you would like to elaborate on your comment ?

Which part of Indonesia are you talking about ?

Hanoi is very Rowdy. I mean if you want to lived in a place where they start to Honk early in the morning and follow the whole day, you can give it a try.

Whereas, the con artist there is plentiful. But it's a nice place for a few days break, not to stay long term. Food is nice and people are great. Only those taxi drivers and cyclos are a pain in our arse.

Hanoi is the only city I've been in where I've had scooters driving down a very busy sidewalk honking for you to get out of their way. Unreal. My next visit, I will bring a hand held air horn to fight back! :lol:

Traffic is absolutely crazy. And I think it's the only city I've been to so far where I've been scammed 2 times in 2 days. One by a taxi, another by college students (not girls).

Oh yes, this was exactly what I encountered visiting this city. If someone really ask me to compare Hanoi to Chiang Mai, I will give Hanoi a break.

Maybe because of the culture, the daily living habit is a little strange. Sidewalk full of parking motorcycles, honking starts early in the morning and ended late night.

As the scams are one of the worst in the Far East, taxi drivers, Cyclos and "university" students, scamming all around the town.

For a tourist, traveling there is a test. No matter how much precaution I'd made before traveling there, I was scammed by the taxi, cyclos and the so-called "U" student there. Things will sometimes go nasty if you unwilling to pay them. The below are a few I have encountered.

Taxi: Majority are scam even though they have a meter in it. The meter jump faster than my eyelid.

Cyclos: Price agreed for one hour ride, 35 min he stopped asking me whether to extend the ride. I resist, Chicken and duck talk, paid and go.....Uh no, he demanded me paying double because the price agreed earlier is for one passenger.

Merchants: Dong Xuan market, merchants chased us away, we are not allowed to take photos but at least they tell us politely, no the case, he grabbed my arm tight and pushed me out of his shop. ( We intended to buy some pottery )

U student: Rubbish, they se you with a camera, reading maps they will approached you like flies. Talk to you and "demand" a donation from you. They looked "real" but all are scams, motorbikes fetch them around!!

Whereas, some of the publics are very helpful!!!!

Hanoi is the only city I've been in where I've had scooters driving down a very busy sidewalk honking for you to get out of their way. Unreal. My next visit, I will bring a hand held air horn to fight back! :lol:

Traffic is absolutely crazy. And I think it's the only city I've been to so far where I've been scammed 2 times in 2 days. One by a taxi, another by college students (not girls).

Edited by sunnyhor

Ditto -

And I stand by my original observation, only an idiot would claim 5 or 6 bodyguards are required to be safe in Indonesia :blink: .

E.G I spent last week-end in North Jakarta: aman ? pasti donk. Walking around, taxi's, bajai's, shopping in both up-market centres and street markets, cinema, bars, restaurants etc..

Perhaps you should get out more ?

Plus referring to someone as an idiot might be less than polite, but its hardly foul-mouthed IMHO B)

Londo

[Hanoi is the only city I've been in where I've had scooters driving down a very busy sidewalk honking for you to get out of their way. Unreal. My next visit, I will bring a hand held air horn to fight back! :lol:

I've been in Singapore for a few months and upon spending a few days in Bangkok last week I was surprised how bad the motor-cyclists are in the Sukh area are. A morning walk from soi 2 upto Emporium wasn't mcuh fun at all. and they too honked their horns to clear the pavement :( .

Simon

@lemerou

During my 2 years work in JKT, I stayed in Tangerang area.

Motorcycle theft, streets robbery, violent theft, assault, narcotics and rape are so commonly seen. My own opinion, I felt not safe apart from where my work was. In the building of the factory. I had seen so many crimes there and ending up I gave up on the job I love most and back to my country. No offense ,this is my personal opinion. I am still sticking to what i comment like some idiot telling me to go out often. I rather stay in my apartment.

Malaysia: Was robbed in Kuala Lumpar, crowded place and in a shopping mall. Saw a group of Mat Rempits ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mat_Rempit) snatching handbags of walking pedestrian just beside a Police post in Johor Bahru , isn't it enough ? And some moron just want to go out often.................. SAD!

@veryruay : i agree on your comment about Hanoi. Although the noise problem is general everywhere in Vietnam i think.

However i tend to disagree on what you said about Indonesia (only been to KL so could not judge about Malaysia).

I have spend some time in Java and Bali, using public transportations and mingling with indos.

Never felt threatened (only once by a lunatic in Solo but he was obviously not dangerous).

Edited by veryruay

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=zjTUeMbdv-c

All I can say, you are very lucky. Click both links

FYI, I lived in Jarkata for 2 yrs, and in K.L for nearly 3 years.

How about you clarify? I'm not aware of any issue with KL or Jakarta.

I've been everywhere in Malaysia and never felt unsafe once, and I walk a lot.

Edited by veryruay