Two Adsl Isp's On The Same Phoneline

Guest DragonStar

Guest DragonStar

CSLoxInfo's ADSL in my corner of Chiang Mai is okay - when it is up. But quite unstable. Down 3-4 times a week (every week) ranging from 1 to 4 hours, not counting occasional dropouts of 5-10 minutes. My Cyber Cafe looses enough business on that behalf to pay for the service of an extra ISP as a backup - provided I don't have to also pay for an extra phoneline. Each time so far, the green lights on my rooter/modem have told me that the connnection is okay, but CSLoxInfo's server is not (SYN on, DATA off).

So my questions go like this:

1) Can I get ADSL from two different providers on the same phoneline? - If no, why not?

2) If yes, can my router/modem handle such a situation? - If no, why not?

It would be okay if it could not utilise both ISP's at the same time, but it certainly would not be okay if it couldn't work at all.

My rooter calls itself "Belkin Wireless G Rooter with Built in ADSL-modem".It has a lot of user configurable features, but no setup option has anything to do with handling more than one Internet "channel".

DragonStar

1) Can I get ADSL from two different providers on the same phoneline? - If no, why not?

DragonStar

No, not simlutaneously. You would need a second fixed line. Eventually your fixed line is connected to a DSLAM (DSL Access Multiplexer) located in the CO (Central Office or local telephone exchange). Each ISP has their own DSLAMs so you can only be connected to one. Voice/dial-up/fax gets split, from DSL at the CO, and routed to a traditional switch, and the DSL gets sent to the ISPs DSLAM.

I think fixed lines are pretty inexpensive? I think I pay 219.35 THB per month to TOT. A second line might be a worthwhile investment if you require 100% availability?

edited to add:

I use a dial-up account when I lose my CSLoxInfo DSL line.

I have to hard-reboot my ADSL Modem/Router when I lose my ADSL signal, which seems to happen after a power failure? A hard reboot seems to restore my ADSL signal.

Edited by lomatopo

CSLoxInfo's ADSL in my corner of Chiang Mai is okay - when it is up. But quite unstable. Down 3-4 times a week (every week) ranging from 1 to 4 hours, not counting occasional dropouts of 5-10 minutes. My Cyber Cafe looses enough business on that behalf to pay for the service of an extra ISP as a backup - provided I don't have to also pay for an extra phoneline. Each time so far, the green lights on my rooter/modem have told me that the connnection is okay, but CSLoxInfo's server is not (SYN on, DATA off).

It would be okay if it could not utilise both ISP's at the same time, but it certainly would not be okay if it couldn't work at all.

My rooter calls itself "Belkin Wireless G Rooter with Built in ADSL-modem".It has a lot of user configurable features, but no setup option has anything to do with handling more than one Internet "channel".

DragonStar

as lomatopo pointed out u need seperate phone lines.

what you need is a router with 2 wan ports .

with such a router and 2 dsl connections u can balance your internet traffic between them...

even if one of them failed, the other would take the load...