Stricter Requirements For Tourist Visa Applicants

its not stricter...the fact is most everyone can still come and go as they always have...its just the loopholes they closed...i.e one way tickets of the vagabond with no idea where they will stay...so u can show proof of return and a place to live....no matter where u stay so u can stil say your friends house..just be sure they have an address...thats good for the standard 30 day upon arrival as usual....I do it every couple of months and just did it this week again....no worries mate

I was insulted by the "vagabond" label at first, but the dictionary definition isn't too derogatory, and could apply to independently wealthy travellers like myself.

But the rules are contrived in such a way to keep out genuine traveller tourists, and backpackers. The Hotel Reservation rule is ludicrous.

The rules are NOT contrived to keep out people living permanently in Thailand. No mention of limit on tourist visas. (Travellers go to other places anyway, they don't live permanently in Thailand anyway).

The rules are NOT contrived to keep out teachers working illegally. They can easily state where they're living. So can all permanent stayers.

The rules are contrived to keep out backpackers. Thailand is such an easy country to travel without a plan, and wander off the beaten path.

Let's not fall into ignorant expat stereotypes. I'm not talking about the Khao San Road rabble (no self respecting traveller would stay there), and I'm certainly not talking about the mythical unwashed dreadlocked hippie who lives in squalor. Has anyone ever actually seen one of these? I've heard numerous mention of them on these forums. But the backpackers I meet are certainly not poor. They don't flaunt their wealth, and they budget for a long stay - but you can tell from the smart phone they carry, or the laptop they use - that they're not poor. And if you do the maths, they spend as much on accommodation as many permanently based expats.

More to the point - they support thousands of Thai businesses and guesthouses, who rely on a steady influx of backpackers, walking in off the street. These businesses would collapse without them.

If the Hotel Reservation rule was enforced - it would certainly have a devastating effect on tourism. But I doubt it will be enforced.

Just Thai stupidity. A clueless government minister trying to look decisive and not lose face. That I can understand.

But I can't understand the anti-backpacker, anti-traveller sentiments on this thread. Why are we not considered "genuine" tourists? What's wrong with being a vagabond? Exploring Thailand, and the surrounding countries? (and inevitably getting your tourist visa from surrounding countries).

Can someone explain this uninformed and ignorant expat prejudice?

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth as an attempt to get some facts into this rather rambling thread, I left Bangkok on Monday morning on AirBerlin take off at 11.30am. Only 2 people in front of me in security and passport control. Passport control was not talkative but smiled nicely when I spoke to him. I did not tempt fate by asking him about the requirements on arrival, but I did go to the AirBerlin main information desk in Dusseldorf and had a long conversation with the staff there. They knew nothing about any requirement for a passenger to have an onward ticket out of Thailand, and they said they would allow me on the plane to Bangkok with my flight ticket and a valid passport. If I hear nothing to the contrary I will test that at the end of October and report here. My passport is being renewed at the moment, so I will get to Bkk with no "previous", but with no visa.

Can you explain your "90 visa with no limits"? Is this a tourist visa with 30 day extension? I assume you'd have to leave the country at 90 days and apply again, say from Laos? Maybe I'm missing what's new?

From what I understood:

Only land crossings WITHOUT a prior visa will now get you 15 days. If you arrive via the air to an airport you still get your 30 days.

On the plus side, you can now obtain a 90 visa, with no limits. Meaning you can get as many 90 visas you want. You wont have to be out of the country for 6 months before the next visa. I guess they just want you to get a regular visa.

As for the hotel booking, I think that is pretty simple. Put down any guest house you normally stay in, or if you have residency your address, or friends address.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!!!

I guess you didn't know, but americans don't need 65.000 in pension, they don't need to prove any income other than that they have a pension, i know several with a pension of just some 30.000 on retirement visa.

Yes I do. There was another thread recently about tightening up on that. So far it does not seem to have come to much, but it will in time. Immigration are not as stupid as some people think they are. They know what goes on.

They will keep on squeezing until everyone complies. Trouble is guilty and innocent alike sometimes get squeezed.

Of course they know what is going on, it's just that they have certain (completely ridiculous) requirements. When I go to obtain my Thai driver's license, never mind that I am showing them the previous license (which I could not have obtained unless i "live" here), never mind that I bring my condo ownership papers as proof of residency..no, those are not good enough. Instead, they want the Embassy letter, which requires no proof, no swearing, nothing but 2000 baht, which then "proves" that one lives here. Bring it back, and the DMV is all smiles and you've got your license in 10 minutes.

The visa requirements are ridiculous because they aren't set in stone and are completely consulate/embassy/whomever is hanging around outside to make a buck dependent. I just got a Non O in the Consulate in Mongolia just by asking for it...no requirement of proof of anything or paperwork, just paid the money, got the Non O.

Can't see tourists paying for accomodation in advance to secure their reservation

I would never pay in advance for a hotel reservation in Thailand. Odds of a bad room, noisy room, mis-bookings etc are too high. Have heard too many bad stories. While probably not the majority of the time, it is enough that I see no reason to take the chance. In my 11 trips, I have had email confirmations but never firm bookings with deposits. Usually get a better price with the locally owned hotels by just walking up and being reasonable.

So can someone explain to me how this works?

I'm currently on a single entry tourist visa with an extension that expires November 7th. The plan was to go to Cambodia or Laos to get a NEW tourist Visa, hopefully a double or triple entry one. Is this still possible without having plane tickets out of the country? How does the process work as far as time and money and documents?

You will not obtain more than single entry in Cambodia and may indeed require proof of exit/accommodations. You may obtain a two entry in Vientiane and perhaps without need for more than payment if your current entry is all you have in your passport. You would be unlikely to obtain a three entry anywhere in region

Ok, so it's definitely a better bet to head to Laos than Cambodia. First question: how long does it take to get there? Second: How long does the processing take? Three: is there anything specific that determines the "may" or "may not" factor in receiving a double entry tourist visa? I currently have only been in Thailand a little over two months and have not been anywhere else; I'm assuming that works in my favor?

Too me this sounds like another way to kill tourism.

noooooooooooooo

the 30 day/ mounthly millionaire is allways more than welcome , in the kingdom.

the thai immigrtation , do not want farang living in thailan on the cheap .

Ok, so it's definitely a better bet to head to Laos than Cambodia. First question: how long does it take to get there? Second: How long does the processing take? Three: is there anything specific that determines the "may" or "may not" factor in receiving a double entry tourist visa? I currently have only been in Thailand a little over two months and have not been anywhere else; I'm assuming that works in my favor?

Not having more than two visas to Thailand make it a may and processing is normal submit morning and receive next afternoon. As for travel how can anyone answer without knowing where you will start from?

You gave me two choices - may or may not - believe may is the more positive and suspect you will get a two entry but there is never 100% on anything.

Normal is to fly to Udon and a 40 minute ride to border or take train/bus to Nong Khai (which is the border town). By train or bus it will take overnight.

• 3 weeks later...

My Tourist Visa Experience:

Nationality:- Australian

Visa applied for:- Tourist Visa

Where:- Thai Consulate, Brisbane, Australia

Method:- Special post (registered and express)

Turn around time:- 3 days (posted Monday received back Wednesday)

Month/Year:- October 2011

Documents supplied:- Visa application form,

2 passport photos,

Visa fee paid by cheque

No plane ticket supplied

No hotel voucher submitted (apart from the hand written information on the application form)

Return registered postal envelope

Previous visits:- Maybe 20 or so 30 day Visa exempts

1 Tourist Visa (granted 60 days on arrival)

Previous overstays:- None

• 1 month later...

duhh! honestly saying i have read the all replies in this topic, so i have came up with the decision of getting a multiple TR here in my country before i go back to thai....i was thinking of coming first on VOA then after that leaving the country to get TR in one of the land neighboored cities. but according to the informations here,, this seems to be not a good idea anymore...i been reading all over the internet about visa runs, this trips are meant to be a real hassle. as i planing to stay not more than 6 months. good deal if i get double TR here!...

so my opinions are about news docs which must be shown, a real pain in the tummy,, not good for thus who keeps doing the visa runs to stay more in a long term within the country. good luck for everyone!... keep safe :)

why would you think about entering Thailand on a VOA instead of getting the correct visa in your home country, a double or three entry visa, I think that most of the problems caused, are by people not getting the correct visa prior to leaving their home country, or failing to plan ahead for the trip.

non imm o' multi entry are still being issued in the UK, for persons married to Thai nationals, and for over 50's with enough income proof.£900, OR proof of receiving pension.

Why should thailand issue, multiple tourist visa's, a tourist is a tourist. stay in Thailand for 3 to 6 months, which is easy, and then stay somewhere else for 3 to 6 months, thats a tourist. Try staying in the UK on repeat tourist visa's,

What if you are not married and under 50, 6 months tourist visa is what I was allowed yet I have money and don't work ijn Thailand yet if I stay longer I am not a tourist?. May is my leaving date so please advise me on how to carry on spending my money in Thailand while not working?.

Oh yes a triple entry tourist visa from Lao then 4 months in the UK to check my business and do the same again.

OH yes a dictionary definition of a tourist "

Definition of TOURIST

One that makes a tour for pleasure or culture.

Is this not what I am doing or do you know differently?.