Stricter Requirements For Tourist Visa Applicants

It's typical Thai embassy though. Each one seems to make things up as they go along. They just love making it difficult for tourists and damaging Thailand's reputation. Blows the mind :)

Don't complain too much. Try getting a tourist visa to visit USA, NZ or Australia if you're Thai or other SE Asian. That will definitely blow your mind. I've just gone through it.

And also, as has been said elsewhere, the consulates APPEAR to be applying one set of rules to locals and another set to foreigners.

So that Brits, Americans and Europeans applying in Phnom Penh do not APPEAR to be genuine tourists - they APPEAR to be people living in Thailand on Tourist Visas.

Whereas Brits applying in Hull APPEAR to be genuine tourists.

Before the flames start please note that I'm not judging, just observing. :(

Hey, and your observation would be correct if it wasn't for the fact that Hull has also clamped down on tourist visas. :)They're no longer giving many of them (even to Brits applying from Hull) nor are they any longer giving things like Non-Imm O's for people who are visiting friends, something you could get easily up until a month ago.

The problem with the way this stuff is applied is, as is usual in Thailand, no common sense is used. For instance, I haven't worked in Thailand in almost five years, although I've lived here much of the time on tourist visas and, yeah, I'm a tourist. Don't work here, just live and travel. But....if any official at a Thai embassy took 10 seconds to look at my bank statements from the UK, they'd see quickly I obviously don't work here, as I bring around 100-150,000 baht into Thailand every month. Wouldn't need to do that if I was working :)

But, no mind. Like I said, Malaysia likes tourists who have money and don't mind spending it, I'll just go there for a while and then back to Europe. Would actually prefer to spend my money in a country where we're not treated like second-class citizens anyway. Farangs will never have any security in Thailand, whether its in jobs, financial affairs, property purchases or anything else you would get in most developed countries and many other Asian ones now. At heart, Thais and the Thai government are nothing but xenophobes. They want our money but would prefer it fhey didn't have to put up with us. I'm more than happy to oblige them, except my money will be going with me, LOL.

BKKJai I think you'll find that the only thing Hull has stopped is issuing Non-Imm "O" for visiting friends. The qualifications for an "O" are listed on their website and it's well-discussed on TV. As for Tourist Visas, Hull has not changed the rules, as long as the applicant is currently residing in UK

Quoting from form "Aba Visa Application Pack 08.09.11" on the Hull website "Visas applications are accepted only from persons who are residing in the UK at the time of application."

Check it for yourself Hull Consulate "Visas & Downloads" page Other nationalities and Brits living outside the UK may be excluded - that I have not looked into..

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's typical Thai embassy though. Each one seems to make things up as they go along. They just love making it difficult for tourists and damaging Thailand's reputation. Blows the mind :)

Don't complain too much. Try getting a tourist visa to visit USA, NZ or Australia if you're Thai or other SE Asian. That will definitely blow your mind. I've just gone through it.

This isn't true in all cases. My girlfriend, who is Thai, was granted a 10-year tourist visa for the USA in 2007, when all she really needed to do was transit at LAX to a Latin American country. So... for the next 6 years, she can come and go as she pleases. She tells me aside from the nuisance of having to visit Fortress America on Wireless (as most of us US citizens who live / frequent BKK do), there wasn't much to it.

For starters, 2007 is not 2011. In most countries it's getting tighter by the year... You should have seen the paperwork I submitted to get my Filipino wife a tourist visa for Australia last month - and NZ last year...but the point is that getting a tourist visa for Thailand is pretty much always a piece of cake for most any nationality...let's get it into perspective - The only people having some trouble are non-tourists trying to live in Thailand full time on back-to-back tourist visas.

And also, as has been said elsewhere, the consulates APPEAR to be applying one set of rules to locals and another set to foreigners.

So that Brits, Americans and Europeans applying in Phnom Penh do not APPEAR to be genuine tourists - they APPEAR to be people living in Thailand on Tourist Visas.

Whereas Brits applying in Hull APPEAR to be genuine tourists.

Before the flames start please note that I'm not judging, just observing. :(

Hey, and your observation would be correct if it wasn't for the fact that Hull has also clamped down on tourist visas. :)They're no longer giving many of them (even to Brits applying from Hull) nor are they any longer giving things like Non-Imm O's for people who are visiting friends, something you could get easily up until a month ago.

The problem with the way this stuff is applied is, as is usual in Thailand, no common sense is used. For instance, I haven't worked in Thailand in almost five years, although I've lived here much of the time on tourist visas and, yeah, I'm a tourist. Don't work here, just live and travel. But....if any official at a Thai embassy took 10 seconds to look at my bank statements from the UK, they'd see quickly I obviously don't work here, as I bring around 100-150,000 baht into Thailand every month. Wouldn't need to do that if I was working :)

But, no mind. Like I said, Malaysia likes tourists who have money and don't mind spending it, I'll just go there for a while and then back to Europe. Would actually prefer to spend my money in a country where we're not treated like second-class citizens anyway. Farangs will never have any security in Thailand, whether its in jobs, financial affairs, property purchases or anything else you would get in most developed countries and many other Asian ones now. At heart, Thais and the Thai government are nothing but xenophobes. They want our money but would prefer it fhey didn't have to put up with us. I'm more than happy to oblige them, except my money will be going with me, LOL.

You are correct, especially the part about xenophobia and other countries wanted foreigners. The changes to the "tourist visa" in Thailand have virtually nothing to do with stopping " tourists working in Thailand without a work permit." The changes have nothing to do with "security." Both of these excuses are nonsense that keep circulating--bogus rationales for idiotic changes to immigration rules, underpinned by a growing xenophobic attitude. The xenophobes have caused major damage to the tourism industry, especially over the past ten years. Had they done nothing, there would be no tourism problem in Thailand today. The numbers would be much greater than they are, and they would not have to manipulate statistics to show that tourism is increasing :) The last thing they should do is to make it even more difficult for tourists as it hurts the Thai economy. Right now Thailand has a desperate need for jobs for growing numbers of young people. Take away jobs and civil unrest will follow.

If i don't get any tourist visa at all in Pnom pen, -do i get 30 days on arrival at koh kong ?

Also, my hotel, do i have to make a new contract that binds me to pay rent for the next 6 months ?

or can i just show my contract when i started rent here over a year ago with 1 month cancel time ?

depending your nationality is a western one you get by landborder visarun only 15 days stamp if no valid visa anymore, unless you are russian , as i believe they get a 30 days lately (as i am not wrong, saw somwhere this ...) by airport border 30 days

About the hotel ..... that is a newly gamble they invented :whistling: , i used condo contract and = accepted :)

Thanks.

I have lost my nerve and will go for ED in spite of not being motivated to study right now.

Is there such thing as charity visa, like working with charity ?

or in case i'm crippled, just give charity money and get a year visa ?

Thanks.

I have lost my nerve and will go for ED in spite of not being motivated to study right now.

I did ED visa , and took it in my Home Country Thai Consulate witch gave me 1 year MULTIPLE entry 5 witch give opportunity to make 15 months out of it by making a visa run BEFORE visa valid expiere.;) )

This multiple can do visaruns , so you do not need to go immigration , and avoid "language skils questioning " , ed visa also supports martial arts & Thai cuisine at your choices :) , many different prices & pay facilities possible , but count a total price between 17000 to 25000 bath at once or in terms ;;;

I gave up school as i can not / want not/ writing read Thai , only speak or hearing Thai is enough for me :annoyed:

This isn't true in all cases. My girlfriend, who is Thai, was granted a 10-year tourist visa for the USA in 2007, when all she really needed to do was transit at LAX to a Latin American country. So... for the next 6 years, she can come and go as she pleases. She tells me aside from the nuisance of having to visit Fortress America on Wireless (as most of us US citizens who live / frequent BKK do), there wasn't much to it.

For starters, 2007 is not 2011. In most countries it's getting tighter by the year... You should have seen the paperwork I submitted to get my Filipino wife a tourist visa for Australia last month - and NZ last year...but the point is that getting a tourist visa for Thailand is pretty much always a piece of cake for most any nationality...let's get it into perspective - The only people having some trouble are non-tourists trying to live in Thailand full time on back-to-back tourist visas.

Not true in many cases. My Thai boyfriend has gotten visas for the US every 10 years. He just got a third visa at BKK's US Embassy with no problems at all. He visits the US every year for two months to see friends and family and for a two-week annual conference his company puts on and, as long as he provides the paperwork the US asks for, he's never had a problem. He said his last 10 year visa, which he got about 2 months ago, came through in less than a week. No questions asked.

Right now Thailand has a desperate need for jobs for growing numbers of young people. Take away jobs and civil unrest will follow.

Um...the unemployment rate is a lot lower in Thailand than it is in your home country (regardless of where you come from).

Why don't we throw open the gates of your home country to anyone from Mexico, Pakistan, Jamaica, Thailand, and Nigeria who wants to come and stay for as long as they want...to create badly-needed jobs?

Right now Thailand has a desperate need for jobs for growing numbers of young people. Take away jobs and civil unrest will follow.

Um...the unemployment rate is a lot lower in Thailand than it is in your home country (regardless of where you come from).

Why don't we throw open the gates of your home country to anyone from Mexico, Pakistan, Jamaica, Thailand, and Nigeria who wants to come and stay for as long as they want...to create badly-needed jobs?

No need to open the gates....... they found already the backdoor entrance to Europe to enjoy the" social welfares" by using the political refugee status :D , i sugest you try using that status here......., :rolleyes::D;) , you surely shall not have the same benefits OR freedom to settle down where you wish to want......

Or is it longtime you beeing away from Europe ??

Edited by david555

Thanks.

I did ED visa , and took it in my Home Country Thai Consulate witch gave me 1 year MULTIPLE entry 5 witch give opportunity to make 15 months out of it by making a visa run BEFORE visa valid expiere.;) )

This multiple can do visaruns , so you do not need to go immigration , and avoid "language skils questioning " , ed visa also supports martial arts & Thai cuisine at your choices :) , many different prices & pay facilities possible , but count a total price between 17000 to 25000 bath at once or in terms ;;;

I gave up school as i can not / want not/ writing read Thai , only speak or hearing Thai is enough for me :annoyed:

This sounds INCREDIBLY interesting !

So you are saying i can just go to the border, get another 3 months, etc, and live happily ever after ?!?

I just heard a guy after being married 5 years got canceled marry visa so jomtien immigration seem BENT on doing all in their power to refuse extension, but a visa run would bypass that opportunity

I never got written interrogation, but i struggle to even hear what she is saying as she both speak quiet and look in another direction, i don't hear well in noisy environment

kindly report asap as i'm going to apply in an hour

Edited by poanoi

It looks like MFA is very tired of the consulates issuing ....to people who are de-facto living here permanently on tourist visas, "TR".

Why would anyone be surprised at this? These 'permanent tourists' are too young -- or too indigent -- to be here on retirement extensions. And, I'm sure Thai authorities can figure out that the majority aren't child prodigies, with huge bank accounts in Silicon Valley. Thus, they're either here working illegally -- or barely getting by. In either case, they're not exactly to be encouraged.

The trick will be to discourage these types, but not legitimate tourists. Obviously, the place to start is with the SE Asia consulates. And possibly no further....

Certainly easy to see where the Thais are coming from on this issue.

Thanks.

So you are saying i can just go to the border, get another 3 months, etc, and live happily ever after ?!?

I just heard a guy after being married 5 years got canceled marry visa so jomtien immigration seem BENT on doing all in their power to refuse extension, but a visa run would bypass that opportunity

within the limits of your visa date, and IFF multiple entry ED visa (witch you can not get arround Thailand countrys !! ) and doiing your border visa runs , ANDNOT change your ED visa to extensions from the School system

You can ask one of the moderators

It looks like MFA is very tired of the consulates issuing ....to people who are de-facto living here permanently on tourist visas, "TR".

Why would anyone be surprised at this? These 'permanent tourists' are too young -- or too indigent -- to be here on retirement extensions. And, I'm sure Thai authorities can figure out that the majority aren't child prodigies, with huge bank accounts in Silicon Valley. Thus, they're either here working illegally -- or barely getting by. In either case, they're not exactly to be encouraged.

The trick will be to discourage these types, but not legitimate tourists. Obviously, the place to start is with the SE Asia consulates. And possibly no further....

I doubt very much the "MFA is very tired" of this.

It would have been easy for the MFA to prevent the issue of back-to-back tourist visas to applicants in SE Asia, yet in the past 6 years since I've been on the scene, it has been easy to obtain a single or double entry tourist visas from either Malaysia, Laos or Phnom Penh.

Who's keeping the door open then?

I doubt very much the "MFA is very tired" of this.

It would have been easy for the MFA to prevent the issue of back-to-back tourist visas to applicants in SE Asia, yet in the past 6 years since I've been on the scene, it has been easy to obtain a single or double entry tourist visas from either Malaysia, Laos or Phnom Penh.

Who's keeping the door open then?

"Who's keeping the door open then? "

Probably the same ones who keeps there hands and pockets open :D

Thanks.

within the limits of your visa date, and IFF multiple entry ED visa (witch you can not get arround Thailand countrys !! ) and doiing your border visa runs , ANDNOT change your ED visa to extensions from the School system

I'm not sure i got that...

So i need insist on a multiple entry ED visa, and i must go to the border each time right ?

if i go to immigration it becomes extension or ?

Edited by poanoi

I'm not from Europe, but I see your point: illegal immigration is bad for Europe but a boon for Thailand.

not really my point , but you made the comparasion .........i saw and see many came europe with less money , but become more money having.....how many tourist leave thailand with more than they came :whistling::D

But whe forget one thing :

"To obtain a visa to ANY country is a favour of that country ,NOT A RIGHT "

(this is an answer i received 20 years ago as a request for visa to Nigeria keeps long in review and i inquired little bit anoyed .........., and must admit they ware / where right ...... a visa is a favour not a right :(

What I said was "fact" in many situations--young people with no jobs = civil unrest. Your observation is interesting but based on a major flaw: the data are accurate. Unemployment is much higher than official figures reveal, especially in Thailand. Underemployment pushes that figure up further, but nobody in officialdom wants to talk about underemployment. The same is true for the USA. The actual unemployment rate is likely double the official figure. But all of this is a distraction from the basic fact that Thailand is in desperate need of "decent jobs" with "decent wages". If that is not provided (and it is not being provided), we can anticipate more civil unrest than we have already seen. Many of the future troublemakers (many from Isan) could be working in low-level positions in a growing and thriving tourist industry. Unfortunately, the govt. is doing everything in its power to reduce the growth of the industry via constant and crazy visa rule changes. Other countries in the region are not doing what Thailand is doing. Their policies (especially Cambodia) seem "sane" in comparison. Thailand is so arrogant to think it can continue to get away with these changes. Each change is small, but over the course of ten years they add up to something large and destructive.

I'm not sure i got that...

So i need insist on a multiple entry ED visa, and i must go to the border each time right ?

if i go to immigration it becomes extension or ?

if no Multiple ED visa , you get 3 months visa witch the school deliver papers or do themselfs for extension , in that case you depends on Immigration every 3 months to go , not all take those "would be exams " but there are reports of some doing it

At the border especially with the visarun companys they do not bother about that ;)

Well i just checked my previous ED visa and it was S, as in single entry i presume.

Can the school ask for multiple entry in the papers,

and with some luck it will be granted in PP ?

The school has justo deliver the normal documents , they have nothing to do with the visa qualification , as in my case i just used the normal School doc. , and as i go normally once a year back to my country i aply there , and even there they ONLY would deliver me a multiple ED visa

I do NOT think you can get anywhere nabouring countrys , i saw on this forum a report from somebody received ED multiple in USA

Only single ed visa seems to be delivered nabouring countrys

What about people here because they are taking care of there kids while there partner is working abroad. We younger folk are not always working illegally.

Last night i went out for a few beers in a bar that was full of hookers and didnt close until 3am. Everyone was smoking inside too. Shame the goverment dont stick to there rules also i might add is opposite that bar is a police office with coppers there all night.

What about people here because they are taking care of there kids while there partner is working abroad. We younger folk are not always working illegally.

You are looking after you kids in Thailand while your Thai partner is working abroad?

This would have to be a very rare situation. You best get married - then you have a much better option.

You are looking after you kids in Thailand while your Thai partner is working abroad?

This would have to be a very rare situation. You best get married - then you have a much better option.

am married but dont meet the requirements to get a im 0 visa from this area. complicated situation i know.

What I said was "fact" in many situations--young people with no jobs = civil unrest. Your observation is interesting but based on a major flaw: the data are accurate. Unemployment is much higher than official figures reveal, especially in Thailand. Underemployment pushes that figure up further, but nobody in officialdom wants to talk about underemployment. The same is true for the USA. The actual unemployment rate is likely double the official figure. But all of this is a distraction from the basic fact that Thailand is in desperate need of "decent jobs" with "decent wages". If that is not provided (and it is not being provided), we can anticipate more civil unrest than we have already seen. Many of the future troublemakers (many from Isan) could be working in low-level positions in a growing and thriving tourist industry. Unfortunately, the govt. is doing everything in its power to reduce the growth of the industry via constant and crazy visa rule changes. Other countries in the region are not doing what Thailand is doing. Their policies (especially Cambodia) seem "sane" in comparison. Thailand is so arrogant to think it can continue to get away with these changes. Each change is small, but over the course of ten years they add up to something large and destructive.

These new rules do not affect any genuine tourists, who stay on average less than a week and certainly less than the 30 days most get visa-free.

It affects those who are unlawfully pretending to be tourists.

These new rules do not affect any genuine tourists, who stay on average less than a week and certainly less than the 30 days most get visa-free.

unlawfully because the rules are unfair.

Its easier for a thai to stay in the UK once married than vice versa.

Law in thailand? lol

won't argue that point; but there are plenty of under 50s here, not married and with solid incomes from overseas, certainly higher income than that of many an older person relying totally on eg his UK pension - other than ED there is only the tourist visa option.

Some under 50s are on superannuation/retirement incomes eg did their time in military service, yet again, not eligible for other than tv till reaching 50+.

sure , that must be the reason that P gave me double entry TR visa with proof condo lease 6 months....??:D issued 5 september in full Visa crisis period :rolleyes: , just TIT